PDA

View Full Version : Refeed help! Carbs!

Invain
09-30-2009, 04:46 PM
Here's the rundown:

I was going keto 5 days a week, with a small refeed on Wednesday and normal refeed on Sunday. Really didn't think I was lean enough to need 2 carb ups a week so I dropped it to 6 days keto and a refeed on Sunday. Seems to be working pretty well so far but this week my energy has been terrible and I'm wondering if my refeeds are enough. I usually take in 500 - 600 grams carbs, keeping my cals around 500 above maintenance. I eat some candy and high gi carbs during most of the day since my refeed is only 12 - 14 hours but I switch to lower gi stuff like oatmeal and whole wheat pasta towards night. I also keep fats pretty low, (50 - 60 grams or less).

I know some people go insane on refeeds, but obviously I'm worried about gaining much back, especially since my deficit during the week isn't very extreme. Do I really need to worry about my cals during my refeed day? Should I shoot for something closer to 1000 grams carbs? I know some people refeed over 2 days, is there much benefit to a longer refeed?

KingWilder
09-30-2009, 06:52 PM
A long refeed isn't needed unless you're specifically depleting muscle glycogen during the week. It sounds like what you're doing is fine. Set protein at 1g per lb LBM, keep the fats at 50g or below and load up on those carbs if 500-600 is working for than keep going with it.

Clifford Gillmore
09-30-2009, 08:18 PM
I just did a refeed over two days;

1) Its easier to plan
2) Convinence (sp?), I had a few days off work and it throws me out of my eating routine. Plus everyone else in the house thinks I'm rude for not eating their ****ting cooking on my low days, so I try to enjoy the carb heavy crap that comes out.
3) Why a small refeed? No need to pull your body out of ketosis for sweet FA, make it worth its while!

Invain
10-01-2009, 09:15 PM
I'm gonna try something closer to 800 grams carbs and see how it works. Will probably drop the cals a little more each day during the week to make up for it somewhat.