PDA

View Full Version : My First Cut - Advice please!

McLaughlin
10-02-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm sick of the gut. It's time to change.

Short version of background:
I ate & lifted
I gained 30 lbs
I stopped lifting and kept eating
I maintained the 30lbs and gained a gut
I recently decided enough is enough.

So I'm 23 5foot 7inch and roughly 185-190 range on weight. My goal is to lean up, cut down to maybe 145 or 150 and then start a healthy bulk.

What I'd like is some advice on how long I should expect it to take to lose the weight, and maybe some tips on what to eat so I don't feel hungry all the time (my biggest fear/weakness). (Also, I work in an office, so the compulsion to eat gets pretty strong, and that's bad since I don't really move much for 8 hours a day M-F)

I also haven't settled on a routine, I'd like to go about 3-4 days a week only if that's okay, and rather than running I'd prefer the exercise bike... not sure if that's acceptable or not.

Any tips advice or anything else would be great.

Also, since I'm not a regular lifter, do you think I can expect to see strength gains even while cutting?

And if I could only afford one supplement per month what would you suggest? Basically limited to 35-45 per month for supps.

Sorry for the long rambling nature of this thread, but I think I got all my questions out on the table. I'll be happy to give more info about myself and my situation if possible.

Thanks in advance!

sharkall2003
10-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm sick of the gut. It's time to change.

Short version of background:
I ate & lifted
I gained 30 lbs
I stopped lifting and kept eating
I maintained the 30lbs and gained a gut
I recently decided enough is enough.

So I'm 23 5foot 7inch and roughly 185-190 range on weight. My goal is to lean up, cut down to maybe 145 or 150 and then start a healthy bulk.

It should take you 35-45 weeks if you lose 1 lb/week. Don't aim for anymore weight loss than that.

What I'd like is some advice on how long I should expect it to take to lose the weight, and maybe some tips on what to eat so I don't feel hungry all the time (my biggest fear/weakness). (Also, I work in an office, so the compulsion to eat gets pretty strong, and that's bad since I don't really move much for 8 hours a day M-F)

You want your fats to be .5 g/lb bodyweight or more. Protein to be 1 g/lb bodyweight or more. Your carbs should fluctuate depending on the day(lifting day or off day). You need to determine what you maintenance calories are by figuring out how many calories you eat per day currently. If you want to lose weight then drop by no more than 20% per day.

I also haven't settled on a routine, I'd like to go about 3-4 days a week only if that's okay, and rather than running I'd prefer the exercise bike... not sure if that's acceptable or not.

Any form of cardiovascular activity is okay and recommended for the obvious health benefits. Look at the "Baby Got Back routine"

Any tips advice or anything else would be great.

Be consistent.

Also, since I'm not a regular lifter, do you think I can expect to see strength gains even while cutting?

Yes, if you do the mentioned above you will see strength gains because you haven't lifted.

And if I could only afford one supplement per month what would you suggest? Basically limited to 35-45 per month for supps.

Whey protein or fish oil.

Sorry for the long rambling nature of this thread, but I think I got all my questions out on the table. I'll be happy to give more info about myself and my situation if possible.

Thanks in advance!
There ya go!

McLaughlin
10-02-2009, 11:09 AM
Perfect, that's the exact type of advice I was looking for.

So I'm looking at roughly 90g fat and 180g protein, if I go by those calculations. You said carbs fluctuate, I'm guessing I'll eat more on lifting days? Is there a set ratio for those as well? (grams per lb like with the other ones)

I've just started tracking things on fitday, and they don't look good. I'm going to need to get a solid diet in place.

Any particular reason not to lose more than 1lb per week? I was reading a thread about another guy that lost about 3 per week and that seemed good to me. I'm not trying to argue with you, I just want to understand.

Here's the honest truth about routines... I've never figured out how to do barbell rows. Everyone loves them and recommends them, but it doesn't matter how many videos I watch I just can't figure it out. Every time I try it it feels awkward and I'm sure I'm not doing it right. So this is a constant stressor because that exercise is recommended for almost every routine I've seen.

Other than that... thanks again for all the advice! I'll keep track of my calories over the next week or so until I sign up for the gym and maybe post some "before" pictures over in that section. I've got a journal, and will be filling that out once I start working out.

Unreal
10-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Losing more then 1lb a week and a lot of it will not be fat. If you don't mind losing tons of muscle then more then 1lb a week will be ok.

Set carbs where they make you feel good and comfy. Just make sure you are in a defecit. For me, if I start eating carbs I can't stop so I stay around 50-70g a day to control hunger.

McLaughlin
10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Losing more then 1lb a week and a lot of it will not be fat. If you don't mind losing tons of muscle then more then 1lb a week will be ok.

Set carbs where they make you feel good and comfy. Just make sure you are in a defecit. For me, if I start eating carbs I can't stop so I stay around 50-70g a day to control hunger.

Hmm... this is assuming I have much muscle to start with. I think you'd be surprised :(

Anyway, I'll keep that in mind for carbs and try to keep them low.

What are some things you'd recommend eating? Lately I've been eating a yogurt for breakfast and then 2 pbj sandwiches for lunch. Kinda thinking that's going to put me over the top on carbs though? The difficulty is that I need foods I can take to the office and store at my desk and eat throughout the day.

Dinner usually consists of Chicken or fish, with rice or potatoes, and sometimes a vegetable. Lately we've been trying to add more though, especially now that I'm getting into all this again.

Unreal
10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Read the stickies on what a bodybuilder eats. My lunch 99% of the time is 5oz of grilled/baked chicken with 2 cups of brocolli or a different green veggie. Today it was 4.25oz of chicken with some squash.

McLaughlin
10-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Read the stickies on what a bodybuilder eats. My lunch 99% of the time is 5oz of grilled/baked chicken with 2 cups of brocolli or a different green veggie. Today it was 4.25oz of chicken with some squash.

Alright cool, thanks for the advice. I'm excited to get this started.

Have you tried that method of cooking a bunch of food on a Sunday and packaging it for the week? Or do you make yours daily?

Unreal
10-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I would never cook daily like that. I grill up 7-8 breast at a time. Sometimes that last a week, other times 2-3 days. Yes cook in bulk just make sure you don't make so much that you have to throw it out from going bad.

Chase Randall
10-03-2009, 06:14 PM
He's not morbidly obese. He's just trying to lose a little gut. 1lb/week seems like a very reasonable goal in his situation. I'm sure he'll lose more anyways, but the 1lb/week would obviously be the healthiest route. Just do a lot of cardio, keep hitting the weight, and eat using the suggested macros.

Edit: This was a response to a comment about 1/lb a week being a 'stupid' idea or whatever. Looks like the mods pulled it though.

McLaughlin
10-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow, tracking calories and such really made me realize how much crap I eat... this is going to be harder than I thought.

vdizenzo
10-04-2009, 01:45 AM

OMG, I need 70 per meal or I'll pass out.

aormz
10-05-2009, 09:11 PM
OMG, I need 70 per meal or I'll pass out.

lol I was gonna say.. You should look into carb loading dood, 50-70 a day is a little too low, I guess on your off days it wouldnt be so bad. Would be horrible for me tho.

McLaughlin
10-06-2009, 08:08 AM
So I've been tracking since Friday and this is what it looks like so far. (FAIL)

-----Date------------Calories---------Fat------Carb-----Protein
10/2/2009--Friday----2503-----------116.7-----242-----116.3
10/3/2009--Saturday-2292------------88-------318-----74.3
10/4/2009--Sunday--2565------------147.1----244.8----67.3
10/5/2009--Monday--2377-----------102.1-----239.4----131.4

So far today this is where I'm at:
-----Date------------Calories-------Fat------Carb-----Protein
10/6/2009--Tuesday--349-----------4.1------40.7-----36.9

The weekend sucked because it was a lot of fast food and junk. Now I'm getting back on track though, tuna, pineapple, pbj sandwiches, and yogurt are a major staple for me monday through friday.

Unreal
10-06-2009, 09:34 AM
Protein is way low. Calories are probably ok. What is your daily goal?

jreed110
10-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Unless you're a very dedicated guy with a fair bit of muscle I'd say you need to shoot for more than one pound loss a week. Personally I wouldn't have the motivation to lose weight that slowly, the lack of results would make me cheat too often and have a counter productive effect. I think that style of cutting is more suited to someone who has just finished a bulk and has 10 lbs or so excess fat to shed.

McLaughlin
10-06-2009, 12:12 PM
Protein is way low. Calories are probably ok. What is your daily goal?

Yeah I was thinking the same with Protein :(

As for daily goals, for now I've been trying to get an idea of what I'm eating, so I can get an idea of what I should cut to. So Based on the past 4 days, I'm thinking maybe 2000 or 2100, since I'm not working out yet. Once I start working out (2-3 weeks until membership starts) I'll probably need to increase that on workout days.

Unless you're a very dedicated guy with a fair bit of muscle I'd say you need to shoot for more than one pound loss a week. Personally I wouldn't have the motivation to lose weight that slowly, the lack of results would make me cheat too often and have a counter productive effect. I think that style of cutting is more suited to someone who has just finished a bulk and has 10 lbs or so excess fat to shed.

Hmm, yeah I don't really know about this, everyone else says 1 lb per week. I can definitely see your point though. I feel like I don't have much muscle to begin with, but I certainly don't want to lose what little I have :( Well, I guess what I really need to do is get a scale, and start weighing myself, get an idea of how much I actually weigh, that 185 was an estimate based on my weight a month or so ago.

~~
Thanks for the continued input everyone.

McLaughlin
10-07-2009, 06:31 AM
So I've been tracking since Friday and this is what it looks like so far. (FAIL)

-----Date------------Calories---------Fat------Carb-----Protein
10/2/2009--Friday----2503-----------116.7-----242-----116.3
10/3/2009--Saturday-2292------------88-------318-----74.3
10/4/2009--Sunday--2565------------147.1----244.8----67.3
10/5/2009--Monday--2377-----------102.1-----239.4----131.4

So far today this is where I'm at:
-----Date------------Calories-------Fat------Carb-----Protein
10/6/2009--Tuesday--349-----------4.1------40.7-----36.9

The weekend sucked because it was a lot of fast food and junk. Now I'm getting back on track though, tuna, pineapple, pbj sandwiches, and yogurt are a major staple for me monday through friday.

Oh man if I thought that was bad...
Here's yesterday:
Totals: Calories--3,421 -Fats--163.8 -Carbos--334.9 -Proteins--157.0
Downfalls:
Lunch was around 750cal
Had 2 Nutty Bars ><

and here's today's breakfast + lunch:
Totals: Calories--1,455 -Fats--41.6 -Carbos--215.8 -Proteins--57.2

This is what a normal day will look like for me I think. This is my 2 pbj sandwiches, 1 yogurt (yoplait original), 1 8oz can of pineapple (in pineapple juice), and 1 2.6oz packet of albacore white tuna in water.

~~

I know the yogurt, bread, and fruit pretty much put me way over on carbs for what you were recommending, but I'm having a real hard time finding inexpensive alternatives that I can bring to work and eat at my desk.

Thanks for any input.

XMadmanX
10-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Oh man if I thought that was bad...
Here's yesterday:
Totals: Calories--3,421 -Fats--163.8 -Carbos--334.9 -Proteins--157.0
Downfalls:
Lunch was around 750cal
Had 2 Nutty Bars ><

and here's today's breakfast + lunch:
Totals: Calories--1,455 -Fats--41.6 -Carbos--215.8 -Proteins--57.2

This is what a normal day will look like for me I think. This is my 2 pbj sandwiches, 1 yogurt (yoplait original), 1 8oz can of pineapple (in pineapple juice), and 1 2.6oz packet of albacore white tuna in water.

~~

I know the yogurt, bread, and fruit pretty much put me way over on carbs for what you were recommending, but I'm having a real hard time finding inexpensive alternatives that I can bring to work and eat at my desk.

Thanks for any input.

Doesn't your office have a fridge?

McLaughlin
10-08-2009, 05:36 AM
Doesn't your office have a fridge?

Yes, I'm just worried about things being stolen, I've heard it's pretty common here.

If I was to start using the fridge, what would you recommend for me to eat?

Jayfive
10-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Yes, I'm just worried about things being stolen, I've heard it's pretty common here.

If I was to start using the fridge, what would you recommend for me to eat?

Cottage cheese. Lean meat in low carb wraps. Tuna salad with low fat mayo. And thats just for snacks.

Unreal
10-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Can you bring your own mini fridge? I have no issues using the fridges in the cafeteria here but several people have mini fridges in their cubes/offices.

McLaughlin
10-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Cottage cheese. Lean meat in low carb wraps. Tuna salad with low fat mayo. And thats just for snacks.

Sounds good. Is there any downside to eating tuna 4-5 days a week?

Can you bring your own mini fridge? I have no issues using the fridges in the cafeteria here but several people have mini fridges in their cubes/offices.

As far as I know they frown on that... people bring in radios... and the occasional laptop, but that's about it. I'll look into it though, because that would definitely be ideal.

--Thanks for the continued input you guys.

Jayfive
10-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Sounds good. Is there any downside to eating tuna 4-5 days a week?

As far as I know they frown on that... people bring in radios... and the occasional laptop, but that's about it. I'll look into it though, because that would definitely be ideal.

--Thanks for the continued input you guys.

There's a possibility of mercury poisoning but its been so played up by the media (along with the dangers of eating or drinking anything ever) that I'm not entirely sure. I remember Jeremy Piven being hospitalized for mercury poisoning but I'm pretty sure he was eating around 5-6 pieces of tuna sushi per day on average.

McLaughlin
10-08-2009, 02:21 PM
There's a possibility of mercury poisoning but its been so played up by the media (along with the dangers of eating or drinking anything ever) that I'm not entirely sure. I remember Jeremy Piven being hospitalized for mercury poisoning but I'm pretty sure he was eating around 5-6 pieces of tuna sushi per day on average.

Oh okay cool, that was more or less what I had gathered as well. For me it wouldn't be more than 1-2 cans per day.

update
Turns out they frown heavily on bringing in your own fridge... there's 4 in the breakroom, I guess I'll just have to suck it up and hope nobody steals my food.

This being the case... I have one other issue, wich is with cottage cheese, I tried some, and thought I was going to throw up from the taste... I don't know if that's normal? But I ate it after having some cantelope, because I heard it's good with fruit (C.Cheese & peaches?) anyway, it wasn't good, at all. Seemed really bitter? Not sure if that's even the right word.

Thinking of trying that trick with the chicken breasts (cooking 6 or 7 on a sunday night and eating them throughout the week) That would start to add up pretty quickly though.

Sorry for the long rambling nature of this post (and those previously) I tend to type out my thoughts as I'm posting, rather than giving the short/easy version.

Thanks for your continued help and advice, only another 2 weeks or so before I can start working out in the gym.

McLaughlin
10-10-2009, 05:22 PM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130098

That's the thread with "me" pics, in case anyone wants to know what I'm working with ><

blackmetal
10-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Dude, you only eat yogurt for breakfast?:eek:

Breakfast is supposed to be the most important meal of the day (if you work and have morning meetings). I wouldn't be able to survive the morning on just yogurt, even if I had a litre of it.

I would suggest that you start having eggs on workout days for breakfast. You can mix it up, and have scrambled eggs with a bowl of good healthy, fibrous cereal; or have eggs overeasy or sunnyside up with toast. Whatever you want. Having a wholesome, filling breakfast will curb your snack/binge tendencies, or desire to consume junk food at lunch. Having healthier calories earlier in the day will help in the long run.

While eating a more filling breakfast won't help in weight loss per se, I can garauntee you that you'll eat less junk because of it, and therefore lose body fat in the long run.

Unreal
10-23-2009, 02:28 PM
My most succesful cuts have no calories till afternoon. I never eat breakfast unless it is a weekend cheat meal.