PDA

View Full Version : Fat Gripz-anyone used them or fat bars?

NickAus
10-03-2009, 05:44 AM
Just got some.
Going to use them for some benching and rowing.
I have read Spud loves benching with a fat bar along with others.
Anyone here use fat bars?
These are the next best thing so I'm looking forward to added them in.

Lones Green
10-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I used to just cut some pieces off an old water hose, cut them down the middle, and put a few on the bar/DB

Detard
10-03-2009, 11:35 AM
Ive tried them before, and they really are pretty cool. They simulate a fat bar very well, and serve a great purpose. IMO, theyre definitately worth purchasing.

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Nick - Where did you get them from? I train at Spuds gym once in a while and haven't seen those there. He does have a couple of fat bars though.

Clifford Gillmore
10-03-2009, 02:52 PM
We have a fat bar, its a beast of thing. With benching it takes any strain of your wrists, and makes it harder to SQUEEZE the bar and spread the bar. Rowing it just plan sucks haha, stupid weak grip.

Our strongman uses it for his clean and presses, or simulated axle presses.

Brian Hopper
10-03-2009, 08:10 PM
We have a fat bar that we pretty much use for all of our bench work. I like using it alot, because when you go back to a normal bar it feels like a toothpick. We also have a couple other fat bars for lat pulldowns and tricep pushdowns.

NickAus
10-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Thank you very much guys, I'm real happy I found these things they look very solid.
I have heard great things about fat bar benching but can't afford to bar a bar at the moment, got them sent to Sydney for $50 a bar would cost 4-5 times that maybe more.
Going to use them for my floor presses on speed day wave in and out.
I got them from Fatgripz.com.

NickAus
10-03-2009, 09:02 PM
We have a fat bar, its a beast of thing. With benching it takes any strain of your wrists, and makes it harder to SQUEEZE the bar and spread the bar. Rowing it just plan sucks haha, stupid weak grip.

Our strongman uses it for his clean and presses, or simulated axle presses.

Sounds good!

NickAus
10-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Nick - Where did you get them from? I train at Spuds gym once in a while and haven't seen those there. He does have a couple of fat bars though.

Tom have a look at them and see what you think-Fatgripz.com $39

Brian999
10-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I would like to hear Tom's opinion on them as well. :)

Beefcaker
10-04-2009, 04:32 PM
we use a 75lb fat bar. I personally like it as a different thing than the normal barbell. It's also easier on the wrists.

DieselWarrior
10-29-2009, 10:26 AM
I just ordered a pair off FatGripz.com, look forward to trying them out!

Andrew

Tom Mutaffis
10-29-2009, 12:46 PM
I just ordered a pair off www.FatGripz.com, look forward to trying them out!

Andrew

Same here, mine should arrive today hopefully.

Will post a review once I have a chance to use them.

DieselWarrior
11-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Got mine the other day. Did a dumbbell bicep curl and a tricep extension with tricep bar using them. The curls kicked my ass, my forearms are a lot weaker than I thought, I felt them burn and pump by the 3rd set (I do 6 sets). I was glad to be done with that exercise! I plan to use them quite a bit, Im very glad I got them. I hope to have a vid posted for it soon.

Andrew

ntvinh986
11-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Just got some.
Going to use them for some benching and rowing.
I have read Spud loves benching with a fat bar along with others.
Anyone here use fat bars?
These are the next best thing so I'm looking forward to added them in.

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

stik
11-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I have been using a fat bar for a long time on squats, bench at times, and deadlift. At first, I didn't realize it. But now I am glad I have been because it seems to help my grip a lot.

NickAus
11-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

What do you mean? Of course!

Read up and use the search function there is a TON to learn from the lifters here.

Some of the best lifters are regulars here so you have come to the right place.

Tom Mutaffis
11-09-2009, 04:16 PM
The Fat Gripz are actually much larger than a fat bar. When you have them on most barbells they come out to be around 2.5" - which is 25% larger than a standard 'fat bar'.

NickAus
11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
The Fat Gripz are actually much larger than a fat bar. When you have them on most barbells they come out to be around 2.5" - which is 25% larger than a standard 'fat bar'.

I noticed that too, really thick!

Hazerboy
11-09-2009, 05:31 PM
I was thinking about getting one of these. Not only would they be great for my own grip, but for some of the weaker guys I train, they have a real bad habit of cocking their wrists back when they bench. From what I've been told, thickbars will not only prevent this but also strengthen their hands/wrists so that they don't do it when they go back to a a normal bar.