PDA

View Full Version : A few speed/dynamic deadlift questions.....

Clone
10-03-2009, 12:27 PM
I want to start doing speed pulls to see what I get out of them.

I was planning on rotating bands, chains, and straight weight. I do have a home built platform with band attachments that are 4' apart from front to back. I assume this is somewhat typical spacing.

I have mini bands, light bands, and 1 set of 5/8" chains.

1-Whats the added tension of mini bands over the bar? (not doubled up)

2-Whats the added tension of light bands over the bar? (not doubled up)

3-What % of my 1RM I should use for mini bands, light bands, chains, and straight weight?

If it matters, my best pull is 475 @180 Raw.

Since I'm not a huge puller and want this for speed work, I assumed doubling up the bands would be too much.

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 02:24 PM
It is going to be hard to get an exact number on what kind of tension your bands will give you - just go based on feel.

Typically I like to do my speed work in the 55-65% range for low reps (doubles) and high volume (10 sets).

For you I would think that something like 225+bands would be a good weight to start with and then see how that feels. Your DE work should not be challenging and so if your bar speed slows at all then you want to drop the weight. Don't expect these workouts to be very tough but they can be helpful when done consistently.

SEOINAGE
10-03-2009, 05:15 PM
I was using light bands for a me day stretched across. it was about 4 ft across maybe more band was nice and tight. It felt like 200 extra lbs at the top but probably wasn't that much more. Best way to figure it out is put a scale under the band and stand on it with one band pulled up to the height of where it will get pulled to, and see what the max resistance is, of course subtract your own weight and double it since you have a band on each side.

Lones Green
10-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I was using light bands for a me day stretched across. it was about 4 ft across maybe more band was nice and tight. It felt like 200 extra lbs at the top but probably wasn't that much more. Best way to figure it out is put a scale under the band and stand on it with one band pulled up to the height of where it will get pulled to, and see what the max resistance is, of course subtract your own weight and double it since you have a band on each side.

Thats a little bit much, just lift the weight until you can't anymore, and call it "425 + purple bands"

Thinking about the band tension is a waste of time, and when you get to straight weight and can't pull as much as you thought you could, it will save you some grief

Brian Hopper
10-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I wouldn't worry about the band tension. Just make sure you move the weight fast. If the bar slows down then lower the weight. I love pulling against bands, you have to be so explosive. Just remember it's speed day, you don't need alot of weight on the bar.

Clone
10-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Ok, thanks guys.

I was just looking for a rough estimate of added tension to get started. Nothing exact. Just curious what might have 100lbs or 200lbs extra at lockout.

I'll have to take a day to experiment and see.

Probably stick with minis for now.

vdizenzo
10-04-2009, 01:23 AM
You should take a video if you can. The whole point of DE is speed. Too often lifters sacrifice speed for weight.

SEOINAGE
10-04-2009, 03:08 AM
Thats a little bit much, just lift the weight until you can't anymore, and call it "425 + purple bands"

Thinking about the band tension is a waste of time, and when you get to straight weight and can't pull as much as you thought you could, it will save you some grief

I agree with you, I never count the bands just say whether something was banded in my log, but he seamed to really want to know.

Clone
10-04-2009, 10:51 PM
You should take a video if you can. The whole point of DE is speed. Too often lifters sacrifice speed for weight.

Sadly I don't have a camcorder.

I'll make a valiant effort to keep the speed up and the weight in check.