PDA

View Full Version : In need of diet advice...

BrandonStore
10-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Okay, I have been weight lifting since february, and I can tell. I made some good progress, now I am nearing the home stretch but hit a major platue. Right now, I am 185lbs I stand at 6 foot 1. 33inch waist My body fat is 16.7%. My current bench press of 8 reps and 3 sets is 230lbs (so I probably won't look weak if I cut down fat). I want to cut down to 10% body fat so I can finally see what my abs look like (been a fat kid growing up, haven't ever seen them) And I have been doing ab workouts since february so I am sure they'll look decent once their found. I am not really on a specific diet, though I generally keep it moderately healthy. I'll eat ice cream, but I do eat my share of fruits and vegetables. My workout routine is, monday lift, tuesday cardio, wednesday lift, thursday rest (due to a college class early in the morning), friday lift, and saturday cardio, sunday rest. On my lifting days I do a total body workout, and cardio days I usually interval from walk to run for about 45 minutes. I do not take supplements of any kind at the moment. So basically, I am asking, how am I going to go from 16.7% body fat to 10% body fat as fast as possible, I am not asking for a crash diet/fad diet or a ridiculous work out program. When I say fast as possible, I mean healthy and realistic fast. Thanks in advance for your helpful advice =D

EDIT: And I am open to taking supplements I'm not trying to be super all natural, I just never knew what to take.

Southern Beast
10-02-2009, 10:35 PM
This is in the wrong section, a mod will move it to the appropriate one.

I should be a mod.

Spartan936
10-03-2009, 12:29 AM
You don't weigh enough to cut down to 10%, in my opinion.

ncsuLuke
10-03-2009, 06:27 AM
you could probably bulk another 15-30 pounds at your height before a cut would be really needed...winter is coming up, might as well pack it on now

BrandonStore
10-03-2009, 07:49 AM
you're right. I could pack on more and winter is coming up so it seems logical. But (not to sound whiney) I'm a little spooked that I'll gain and I won't be able to cut down as easily. I guess what I am asking for is, a way of eating and working out so that, my weight can either remain the same or go up, but my body fat percentage go down each month. If its possible that is.

Spartan936
10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
The more muscle mass you have, the easier the fat will come off later.

Tom Mutaffis
10-03-2009, 02:34 PM
(Moved to Diet & Nutrition Section)

Sean S
10-03-2009, 02:52 PM
If you're try to decide whether to cut weight or not, remember it's alot easier to lose 20 lbs. of fat than it is to gain 20 lbs. of muscle.
I'm the same height as you and when I was 185 I looked terrible and didn't carry much muscle mass at all. Over the period 2-3 years I moved up to 230 and then dropped back to the 215-220 range and was reasonably lean.

CaptainMorgan
10-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm the same height as you and when I was 185 I looked terrible and didn't carry much muscle mass at all. Over the period 2-3 years I moved up to 230 and then dropped back to the 215-220 range and was reasonably lean.

How exactly did you do that? Did you gain a lot of extra fat or was it kept minimal?

Also, did you do isolated workouts or Starting Strength type stuff?

Sean S
10-03-2009, 06:30 PM
How exactly did you do that? Did you gain a lot of extra fat or was it kept minimal?

Also, did you do isolated workouts or Starting Strength type stuff?

I really did mostly compound movements like bench, chins, dips, overhead press, squats, etc... My training wasn't great then, so something like Starting Strength would have been even better.
When I was down around 185, I was probably in the 8-10% BF range. By the time I leveled off around 215, I was probably 12% or so. Even at 215 I didn't carry a ton of muscle and I was still pretty weak, just not as weak as I was at 185. Part of the reason I was able to do this was that I have a pretty big frame and still don't look that big at 215. I was also nearly starving myself to stay below 200, so when I started eating a little more normally I picked up weight relatively quickly without gaining too much fat.
The last five years I've gone from 215 to 290+ by training with Westside principles and eating alot. I'm not particularly lean now, but I'm not a fat slob either. My strength has also gone beyond anything I thought was possible. I'm confident I'll be able to cut down slowly when I'm done competing and be reasonably lean at a much higher bodyweight than I was before.

marrykonta
10-06-2009, 01:38 AM
Hi BrandonStore,

Well,The Atkins diet plan is clearly the most popular low carb diet on the market, with so much media attention given to it all the time. This fat loss program also claims that it is carbohydrates that leave your body feeling even hungrier later in the day, therefore, by eliminating those extra carbohydrates from your meals you will not be as hungry later on which means that you will lose weight and not be struggling with hunger.

The Atkins diet focuses on the relationship between carbohydrates and insulin. Carbohydrates stimulate the secretion of insulin, and insulin converts excess carbohydrates into fat cells. The Atkins logic is that by eating low amounts of carbohydrates, less insulin will be secreted into the bloodstream, and thus less food will be converted into fat.

Thanks