PDA

View Full Version : FNG trying to make sense of this diet science

Andy31
10-03-2009, 03:24 PM
OK I need some input.
I'm 29 - 6'3" 310 w/ 33.4% bf. (Omron grip tester) My long term goal is to be 300 at 15%

I have a RMR of 2477 cals ( Korr Metacheck) + 700 cals from lifestyle & exercise cals total 3177 for maintenance

Ok so my questions/concerns stem from this- I started my cut this week Saturday 27th been keeping an daily average of 2533 Cals /84g fat/ 272g carbs/ 202g protein.
I have lost weight 6 lbs 4.5 fat and 1.5 lbs Lbm. I am concerned because if I keep this up and loss my fat 58lbs I will also loose aprox 15 lbs of muscle.

I suppose this wouldnt be the end of the world, but my personal goal isnt to be light and slimmer. I want to be 300 w/ 15% bf.

So in working on cutting my fat I losoe a large amount of muscle, and then again if I build muscle I add fat......but

I was thinking about starting the plan Daniel Roberts wrote about, just eat for the size you want. Just concerned that my goals require me to gain 48lbs of Lbm and loose 58lbs of fat.

Does this look like a solid plan? Kind of confused since my goal requires both muscle gains and fat loss.

Daniel Roberts' plan?
cut first but then how much?
Bulk first? which would be like 1st listed.

I can deal with the fat as I have been big forever. Just not sure when its to much to start with.

Sorry if I rambled

Thanks in advance,
Andy

Sean S
10-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I just don't think you can realistically gain 48 lbs of LBM and lose 58 lbs of fat simultaneously. You're probably going to have to prioritize one or the other for a while. Personally, I would up your calories and protein some to hold on to more LBM as you lose weight. I would prioritize the fat loss for a while and get your weight down below 300 and then slowly build back up to it if that's your long-term goal.
If you're using one of those hand-held BIA machines the actual numbers you get may be significantly off. If you want to use it just to measure things the same way and track your progress over time, that's fine. Just keep in mind that the numbers can fluctuate wildly based on your hydration status, so make sure you are measuring the same time of day each time and make sure you are always well hydrated when you measure.

Andy31
10-03-2009, 08:37 PM
So what do you think would be a good goal for getting my BF % to , prior to attempting gains?

Sean S
10-03-2009, 08:44 PM
If your goal is 15%, then try to get it to 15% or maybe even slightly lower. Then if you gain a little fat on the way back up you will still be 15% or less. Ultimately you will probably have to tweak and readjust things as you go along. Set some short and intermediate goals that will help you reach your ultimate goal. Then just focus on your next short term goal. This should help break things down into managable chunks.

Daniel Roberts
10-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Hi Andy

Irrespective of which approach you take, my article or other methods, you need to get an understanding of your current status and what can realistically be achieved and in what timescales (read the article again about realistic expectations).

At 310lbs and 33.4% BF you have approx 206lbs of lean body mass (lbm).

To hit 300@ 15% BF you'll need to increase your lbm to 255lbs, which is an increase of 50lbs of lbm whilst decreasing your fat mass by approx 60lbs (as Sean S stated).

You don't state how long you expect this to take, whether you're an experienced lifter or whether you're a complete novice.

I would be wary of trusting too much the output of the Omron.

You say you've lost weight (75% fat 25% muscle), you should not be losing muscle especially at your BF level. A muscular trained individual shouldn't be losing any muscle mass when dieting down until approx 15% bf and below.

Please post training history (few best lifts, how long you've been lifting) and current training program.

Either way, depending on training experience you need to be prepared for a 2yr journey to reach your goal,or you risk being disappointed and quitting.

Don't forget, that for anyone wanting to change their physique dramatically, it is a long commitment, not just a 6 month stint, we are all of us in the same boat.

Andy31
10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the replies so far guys,

OK here are the facts I forgot to mention:
I have been following the WBB original routine for a couple months but never had my diet in check. I just started the Westside Standard Template today.I am also going to do GPP 2 times a week.
I am a complete newbie.
My lifts are- Squat 265 Deadlift 405 Bench 245
I would be stoked to reach my goal in 2 years ( + my hair stylist said it would take me 1 1/2 to 2yrs to grow my hair the way i want it) j/k but its true. )

My goals are- to get 300 at 15%, increase my knowledge on weightlifting/powerlifting, and once I get a grasp on my strength and proper training I would like to train and compete in some local strongman type competitions.

I know the omron isnt the best but I figure since I have it I could use it for what its worth.
Hopefully I can make my way up to Tampa and use a bod-pod

Andy