PDA

View Full Version : Bench singles over reps

Andre518
10-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Whats up guys I have been working with a new bench program for a a few weeks now and things are getting a lot better with my bench. But I was wondering what some of you thought. Today I was suppose to do
2@290 x 3 and I got it
2@315 x 2 I got 1 x 2
1@325 x 1 I got this one with a spot. With this one I started to come out of the grove and my spotter helped guide it back into the grove with his fingers not really pulling it up.
My question is should I put a lot of worry on the fact that i could not get 315 for 2 reps even though I got 325? Or should reps be just as important to me as high single benches?

Lones Green
10-03-2009, 06:53 PM
For someone thats not a super experienced bencher, which is most of us, form on singles is going to be better than on doubles or triples.

NickAus
10-03-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with Lones.

If my raw bench was 325 I could not bench 315 for a double so don't worry about that at all.

Polish Hammer
10-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I use the 5/3/1 formula for figuring out a true max.Its been used for years by strength coaches and universities.Its pretty much dead on for me.

weight x reps x .0333 + weight= 1 rep max

This means 315x2=336 1RM

In other words. Your strong enough to bench 315 once.Not twice.

vdizenzo
10-04-2009, 01:33 AM
This can be a very tough question. It's different for all of us. My rep strength is not great, but I can bench over 600 raw. That's because I train for singles. You did a lot of reps at around 90% or more. What program is this?

Andre518
10-04-2009, 07:06 AM
I was doing 5/3/1 for about 4-5months but bench was going down. So I started this program (http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/benchpgm.htm) with a max of 310 and it has worked pretty solid but as I near the end of the routine I just find my self missing some reps but I have hit all my weights at least once. My assist work is going well on my bench days. I do 5 x5 on assist work. example yesterday I did:
work load
2@290 x 3 and I got it
2@315 x 2 I got 1 x 2
1@325 x 1

Assist
DB Incline Bench
4@ 95 x 5
1 @100 X 5

T-row
5@ 180 X 5

Press downs
4@ 100 x 5
1@ 110 x 3

Pause Bench
4@ 210 x 5
1 @210 x 4

NickAus
10-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I would switch to Westside.
No other template is more flexible or more proven.

Andre518
10-05-2009, 11:37 PM
I would switch to Westside.
No other template is more flexible or more proven.

I just got the Westside Manual havent had any real time to start reading it yet. My concern is being able to do the Westside routine by myself and at Golds Gym. Maybe it will workout as of now I do not have a lot of knowledge of the Westside program.

NickAus
10-06-2009, 01:34 AM
I just got the Westside Manual havent had any real time to start reading it yet. My concern is being able to do the Westside routine by myself and at Golds Gym. Maybe it will workout as of now I do not have a lot of knowledge of the Westside program.

I have done nearly all my speed bench days and my squat/deadlift days on my own, shirt bench day I always train with my partner.
Any powerlifting routine will be tricky on your own but you can squat and bench in a power rack with the pins set to save you if you miss a weight.
I highly recommend you learn about it as you go but just follow the basic template.
You will learn what movements make you stronger as you go.
Just remember it is pretty flexible, and there is not doubt it works once you understand that as complicated as it can seem you are still just trying to get stronger.
Good luck.

Andre518
10-06-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks NickAus I will definitely give it a try. One other question I have is WS flexible enough for RAW lifters? As of now I do not have any gear beside a belt and knee wraps and not too sure if or when I will get in to suits and shirts.

Polish Hammer
10-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Thanks NickAus I will definitely give it a try. One other question I have is WS flexible enough for RAW lifters? As of now I do not have any gear beside a belt and knee wraps and not too sure if or when I will get in to suits and shirts.

Read this

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/westside_raw.htm

NickAus
10-06-2009, 06:41 AM

Trust me you will love using gear it's a lot of fun and of course in time you will lift more too.
Yeah I would say raw is good with W.S, from what I know they mostly train raw for bench and use different levels of gear for squat/deadlift day ie: raw/briefs/briefs with suit-straps down/full gear depending on what stage they are up to and what they are working on.
You can just adjust the movements to suit, more use of movements that build the bottom of the lifts where gear would help most.
The speed work with straight weight/bands/chains will help your raw strength anyway.