PDA

View Full Version : my first NASA EXPERIENCE!

thewicked
10-05-2009, 01:32 PM
went to the east texas regionals over the weekend!

ended up winning my class...which I thought I got second in but according to the awards announcements I won it. Unequipped bench with 375 (which I ended up having to triple) Goal was to hit 415 and with each 375 attempt I knew I had it in me had I been able to get my setup right.

...and my client set three state records! For unequipped bench, deadlift, and push/pull total!!!

I just wanted to bench to see how things went since it's been my main focus for the past few months. Needless to say if I'm a strong deadlifter.. i need to be doing push/pull anyway.

a few of the problems I had were with my setup. I pressed 375 easily each time but got red lighted first attempt due to my butt being up after coming up to meet the bar and forcing my heel down.

second attempt.. butt was down but heels came up...

with a little side coaching from one of the judges.. I took my stance out wider to get my heels AND Butt down...the only problem was with my hips. They absolutely DIDN'T want to do this and cramped up during the press.

..now i also noticed that I have a hard time hitting depth on a wider stance squat because my hips STOP..no matter how far back I push them or force them down. So my question is..

how does one get a super tight and high arch without a hip problem? practice? What are some good stretches specifically for the hips because everything in my personal training arsenal ISN'T working. I'll be dropping down to 242's for push pull in the spring and want to get this cleared up.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Looks like you and your client had a great time! Good luck with your future NASA competitions and training too!

Illinimeats
10-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Don't feel bad my first NASA/powerlifting meet I got red lighted for my butt coming off the bench. JT said he never seen anyone get red lighted for their butt coming off the bench, so a first. I didn't set any records or turn any heads but I had a great time and I am looking forward to my next NASA meet. I have trouble breaking parellel due to tight hips and such. I do a lot of the goofy aerobic strethes and hip warm-ups to help loosen up my hips. Hope this helps and enjoy NASA, it seems to have a family atmosphere at every meet.

Illinimeats

dammstrate
10-07-2009, 01:18 PM
I believe there is more to be gained in the arch by ab and hip flexor stretching than anything else. Focus on stretching these.