PDA

View Full Version : PowerLifting Diet

nate allan
04-25-2002, 02:33 PM
I have noticed that most diets are made for Bodybuilding purposes(hypertrophy/cutting). I haven't read to much on how powerlifters should eat, whether they require less or more of certain areas. I have read that many of the powerlifter especialy the superheavys, eat alot of fastfoods, junkfood and such. I have noticed in myself that my best strength gains come when I eat everything including fatty foods, and fast foods. When I eat clean I have a difficult time gaining strength even when I eat alot.
I Heard that Ed coen eats donuts and pizza everyday. My goal is to maximize my strength gains, while keeping some muscle definition and leaness. I would like to stay under 181lb weight class. I am interested In what the powerlifters on here do as far as dieting. I am interested in hearing Adam, powerman, latman, belail( not a powerlifter) and any other powerlifer.

Paul Stagg
04-25-2002, 04:18 PM
I eat to get nutrition. it's quite functional.

Sometimes, junk food fits into that.

If you want to stay lean, eat to stay lean.

If you want to be a superheavy, eat to be a superheavy.

nejar462
04-25-2002, 05:03 PM
whoa, how come i never knew about this, why would junk food make you stronger than regular clean food? GOD DAMN, this ruins a lot of things for me.

nejar462
04-25-2002, 05:08 PM
btw im a powerlifter, does this mean i should go to taco bell and eat two gorditas everyday?

heathj
04-25-2002, 05:40 PM
It doesn't mean you should, but if you do, it has quite a bit of protein/carbs/fat in it, so it would help you get quite a bit stronger and recover quicker.

nejar462
04-25-2002, 06:53 PM
hmm, so if i want to have higher lifting totals, i should eat gorditas then right?

Blood&Iron
04-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by heathj
It doesn't mean you should, but if you do, it has quite a bit of protein/carbs/fat in it, so it would help you get quite a bit stronger and recover quicker.
Well you're right on the fat and carbs part. Protein...guess it depends on what you call 'quite a bit.'

From Taco Bell's website.

One chicken baja gordita:
18g fat, 28g carbs, 16g protein

Probably quite heavy in trans-fatty acids, too. I suppose there are worse things to eat. Can't think of any offhand, but they must exist.

nejar462
04-25-2002, 07:12 PM
ok, pizza can't be much better, what do these plifters know that we don't?

Blood&Iron
04-25-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by nejar462
ok, pizza can't be much better, what do these plifters know that we don't?
They don't know anything more. I would say powerlifters are generally much less attentive to diet than bodybuilders. A few percent bodyfat doesn't make much difference to them(Unless it knocks them into a different weightclass) while it will make or break a bodybuilder. As long as you're not doing anything retarded, dietarily speaking, you should be able to get pretty strong even if eating crap on a fairly regular basis. You're not gonna be ripped doing that, though--unless you've got awesome genetics.

the doc
04-26-2002, 07:06 AM
look you want to eat healthy whether its a high cal diet for massing or a low cal diet for cutting

This means eating from clean sources- the less processed the better. Consumption of fat is fine, but avoid foods high in sat'd fat like fast/junk food

steak, fish, chicken, potatos, oats, barley, beans, etc...

Paul Stagg
04-26-2002, 09:49 AM
I got interested in pling when i got sick of dieting.

Now, I'm dieting as PLer. Not much different, really.

PLers eat to meet nutritional needs, and possibly move weight classes (gain or lose), and to move up in a given class (a guy who is 200 pounds might want to get up to 215).