PDA

View Full Version : football program

WHIPLASHER
10-06-2009, 07:17 PM
hey guys... i was curious as to what a good football training program would be... i've been looking to cut but at the same time gain some more muscle mass...

if someone could suggest a diet as well as supplement lineup and training regimen that would be great

Travis Bell
10-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Read the stickies. Those will get you started

slashkills
10-06-2009, 07:57 PM
what position do you play? how much weight are you trying to cut? what level do you play at? what kind of weightlifting/conditioning experience do you have?

bald bull
10-06-2009, 08:43 PM
hey guys... i was curious as to what a good football training program would be... i've been looking to cut but at the same time gain some more muscle mass...

if someone could suggest a diet as well as supplement lineup and training regimen that would be great

I mean a lot of workouts are designed for position now a days and diets too. I mean if u r a linemen obviously u want to pack on weight but stay lean and the skilled positions may have you on a bw limit? Give some more info to help tailor your program. I would assume u r doing sprints, stadiums and plyos as well correct?m When is this program for isnt football in progress now?

cold_steel
10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Hey man look up on Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. I'm 4 yrs outta high school ball and am joining an adult league this year, and let me tell ya, this is a wonderous routine. It's not alot of work, just HARD work. Eat eat eat and do this routine man, you will not be dissapointed.

jwood1988
10-07-2009, 06:36 PM
I would also suggest westside for skinny bastards, so many athletes have had great success on this workout and it allows for sprints, and plyos. In my personal experience it is a great way to get stronger while still being able to train for your sport.

WHIPLASHER
10-15-2009, 12:04 PM
im actually trying to go QB... im about 6'2" and weigh 270 but wanna cut down to about 240-250... i've lifted for quite awhile now and jogged as well... recently started short sprints and whatnot

slashkills
10-15-2009, 12:12 PM
Get with potential wide recievers and throw till your arm feels like its gonna fall off. what playing experience do you have? Talk to your coaches and see what they have the team doing as far as weightlifting goes. If you have a team weightlifting routine your going to most likely have to follow that. If not i suggest ws4sb3. Make sure and do sprints and agility work.

WHIPLASHER
10-15-2009, 02:58 PM
what kind of diet should i be following?

slashkills
10-15-2009, 04:56 PM
If your going to cut weight you should be getting around 300-500cals under maintnance. Read through the diet and nutrition section here or look through some other threads for more info on the topic. I know its been discussed a few times before.

nickp8
10-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Joe Defranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards is a program that he uses with a lot of his football players. I used it for years with awesome results, it is a great all around program. You can find it on his website. The only thing you might want to adjust is bench pressing if you are a QB. The workload on your shoulders with all the throwing and benching adds up fast. In the program he also has the running and conditioning laid out.

slashkills
10-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Being that season is going on im assuming that whiplasher is trying out next year. In that case benching is fine right now. I would cut back a few weeks before summer camps though.

WHIPLASHER
10-16-2009, 08:36 AM
is it ok to take creatine and NO on this program?

slashkills
10-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Creatine is ok i wouldnt recommend NO though. I recommend atlarge nutrition's creatine. I believe its roughly 15 bucks for a 3 month supply.

WHIPLASHER
10-17-2009, 09:00 PM
i dont fully understand by the nutrition section how to calculate how many calories i should be having/day...

slashkills
10-17-2009, 09:13 PM
The best way ive found to do it is to record what you ate every day for a week. You can sign up on fitday.com for a free account to track your cals and such. During the week your recording your food dont worry about bad foods or certain amounts of cals. Just eat till your happy. At the end of the week find the average number of cals you ate per day. Thats your maintnance level.

WHIPLASHER
10-19-2009, 12:32 PM
i honestly cant find any good diet programs... regardless of how many calories i eat i can still gain if im eating TOO MUCH fat with eating crappy foods

slashkills
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
i posted an article in the diet and nutrition section about carb cycling for athletes. The article itself is written for mma athletes but you can use the article to a t still. I believe the name of the thread was good article on carb cycling for athletes. That may work better for you.

some pointers for losing weight
-eat frequently and in small portions
-1g of protein per body pound
-no liquid cals(no sodas, juices, coffee, etc)
-drink lots of water, some recommend up to a gallon per day
-no snacking

Dunnline72
10-19-2009, 05:47 PM
hey whiplasher.

I know what your tryin to do. i did it this summer i was pretty much body building. i am 5' 10" and weighed around 218. i did it for about a month two months and i cut down tons of fat and kept my weight around 215, now im down to 207. What i did was a high protein high carb diet. it gave me good results. but i am a linemen and i built a ton of muscle mass. I ate a ton of tuna, turkey, drank milk, i bought 100% whey protein and drank 1 before and 1 after my workouts. i was taking in about 330 grams of protein a day. then sunday was my off day and i ate what ever i wanted. its a hard diet to keep up with at the start. If you can find a friend to do it with you its alot better to have some1 help you through it. if you have any other questions u can pm or just post on here and i will read up for you.