PDA

View Full Version : Sleds

BigCorey75
10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
I decided to place this hear because this forum gets more hits than the GPP section plus im going to use the sled to help get stronger for powerlifitng and general conditioning and fitness for possibly entering the Fire Academy in the future.

My question is what is the best Sled out there for the money. I dont want to cough up the 350 for a prowler when Ive seen sleds that I can drag and push and cost a lot less.

Ive done some looking and ive seen them around 200 that can hold up to 6 45's and ive seen some around 120 that look as if they can hold no more than 3 45's, and some hold standard sizes weights and not olympic plates.

Which do you think ill get the most bang for my buck? I want something I can load up with a decent amount of weight yet also not have to break my bank in the process, me and a buddy will more than likely be going half on it and in todays economy each penny saved is a plus.

Should I be looking for one that holds olympic plates? or standard plates? or anything that im missing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

L0uie
10-07-2009, 12:31 PM
if you really want to save money, find a local welder and have him assemble it.

Clifford Gillmore
10-07-2009, 12:33 PM
You should go to a metal fabricator with a total of about $100 and some photos of one. 2" round centre pipe for oly plates I believe, and just a 45degree angle about 1/8th to 1/4 of way up the base + a hole to attach a caribeener/clasp.

MarcusWild
10-07-2009, 02:32 PM
If you just want something to drag, then get a large, old tire. You should be able to get one for free. You can put weights or chains in it to make it heavier. You don't need as much weight since the rubber has a lot more friction when you drag it.

JSully
10-07-2009, 03:25 PM
I thought the same thing, just push or pull your 500lb tire.. throw a rope over it and hand over hand it, or throw it over your shoulder and drag it..

or just put your car in neutral and push/pull it with a tow rope..

Lones Green
10-07-2009, 05:17 PM
I made one for less than 4 dollars, got a piece of steel from a junkyard and welded part of a broken crow bar on top of it. I bent the front of it up with a hammer until it was like I wanted it

It was a good way to spend a Saturday

BigCorey75
10-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the recommendations fellas

unfortunately i don't have my own welding materials, but I did contact a metal fabrication place not to far from my house and they guy knows a lot about building things like that i described what I wanted and he said if it weighs under 100 pounds it shouldnt cost to much, so im going to design me one take it over to him and let him look at it and build it. He said materials and labor should be under 100 bucks.

So im going to try to make a good design, with lots of room for placing weight on it, and different grip heights and widths for me to use. Hopefully should have me a fun new toy in about a month or so...

Tom Mutaffis
10-08-2009, 08:00 AM
You can assemble a tire sled for around $25 and they work great.

If you wanted a steel sled then Pitbull Equipment is probably your best bet.

I bought my sled on Ebay and it is very high quality but I am not sure if the same company is still around. You may want to check on there though, I believe it was a guy based in Arizona.

JSully
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
You can assemble a tire sled for around $25 and they work great.

If you wanted a steel sled then Pitbull Equipment is probably your best bet.

I bought my sled on Ebay and it is very high quality but I am not sure if the same company is still around. You may want to check on there though, I believe it was a guy based in Arizona.
How do you make the tire sled?

Tom Mutaffis
10-08-2009, 12:28 PM
To make a tire sled you basically just find a car/truck tire in decent condition and then fasten some wood to the top of the tire. Purchase a u-bolt and drill through the tread then use big washers or a piece of wood to fasten the u-bolt. Puling can be done with a chain, rope, or tow straps.

Basic Instructions: "Take an old tire, put an eye-bolt on the side with a couple large washers. Take two pieces of scrap 2x4, put them in the tire in an X shape, screw them together. Screw your pipe flange to the center of the 2x4 X, then screw your nipple in the flange as a loading pin. Use ropes, chain or whatever to attach to the eye-bolt for dragging. You can make a harness out of tow strap, as well."

Additional: "If you just want a sled for GPP then you donít need something that can hold massive weight. You can take a car tire, attach a U-bolt for the strap, take a piece of plywood and bolt it to the tire, then take a floor flange (plumbing section) & pipe and attach to ply wood. Done. Youíll have a small sled that you can put in the trunk of your car. But the tire creates enough friction/drag that if you put 4 or 5 plates on there it gets pretty heavy."

I have attached a picture as well.

DGabe24
10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Damn, that tire sled looks great, thanks for that Tom.

packers0415
10-15-2009, 07:12 AM
I have a prowler and love it - mine is a knock-off - made by a local welder - was a lot cheaper.