PDA

View Full Version : Time to bulk?

Jayfive
10-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Lately I've been getting kinda restless to bulk. I've been "cutting" for a total of about the last 8 months (lifting for close to a year now, give or take a week or two off here and there for being sick or surgery or injury) and its done wonders for my past physique (was about 240 at 24-26%bf). But now that I have some definition, I've been getting impatient. My strength is starting to take a hit and while I originally wanted to hit around 10-12% BF, I'm currently 15ish at 190 or so, I'm wondering if I should just give bulking a shot.

So tell me, honest advice wanted. What do you all think? Should I man up, and drop the last 3-5% over then next few months? Or should I take advantage of winter and go on a bulk for a bit? Is it easier to cut down after putting on some muscle mass?

Thanks.

JSully
10-07-2009, 02:37 PM
what do you want to do?

Unholy
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Listen bro, no one can tell you what to do in this situation. What are your goals?? If you are currently unhappy with your BF% then cut down till you are happy. If you don't mind a little extra luggage then bulk it up a bit and cut for summer like most meat heads. Ultimately if you stick with the cut and get to 10-12% and add lean mass from there not only will you look good year round but it will limit any prolonged cutting you may have to do in the future. Cheers.

Irish Pilot
10-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Eat at maintenance for 2 weeks and get perspective on your goal. Then once you have made up your mind you are positioned to go either way with the calories and it may help "refresh" you after such a long period of deficit.

Another option is to have a look at Daniel Roberts recent article which provides yet another option in regards to your goals...

To Bulk or to Cut... (http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/)

jreed110
10-08-2009, 01:56 AM
Depends on how happy you are looking in the mirror at present. If you're not happy now then your bulk will probably be half hearted and you'll be too scared to add some fat. Personally I'd say finish the cutting then when you do bulk you'll be more committed and gain better results.

Jayfive
10-08-2009, 07:19 AM
what do you want to do?

I think that's my problem. I want to be a big lean em-effer. I want to be able to dead lift a house and bench press a truck. Then, when is all said and done, I want to be able to wash my dirty clothes on my abs.

Listen bro, no one can tell you what to do in this situation. What are your goals?? If you are currently unhappy with your BF% then cut down till you are happy. If you don't mind a little extra luggage then bulk it up a bit and cut for summer like most meat heads. Ultimately if you stick with the cut and get to 10-12% and add lean mass from there not only will you look good year round but it will limit any prolonged cutting you may have to do in the future. Cheers.

Dammit, you're right. I think that's my problem. I'm currently so tired of cutting, I'm forgetting that in order to bulk, I'll eventually have to cut again in the future. For the goals, see above, lol.

Eat at maintenance for 2 weeks and get perspective on your goal. Then once you have made up your mind you are positioned to go either way with the calories and it may help "refresh" you after such a long period of deficit.

Another option is to have a look at Daniel Roberts recent article which provides yet another option in regards to your goals...

The article does help a lot. It's just kinda off on what I'm trying to do. I'm currently 190 with around 15ish% BF at 5'10". I'd eat like I want to be 220 with 10% BF but I see that as being a long term goal instead of an immediate possibility.

Tho you did give me and idea about refeeding. I may refeed for another 2 or 3 days a the next 2 weeks before going on my cutting diet again. I've been at a severe deficit lately due to my gym being closed for the holidays (only close gym is the Jewish Community Center), no activity= no fud.

Depends on how happy you are looking in the mirror at present. If you're not happy now then your bulk will probably be half hearted and you'll be too scared to add some fat. Personally I'd say finish the cutting then when you do bulk you'll be more committed and gain better results.

I don't ever want to be happy looking in the mirror. I'm pretty sure that once I look at myself and say "Hmm, good job" I'll stop striving to improve.

Thanks for the advice all. I think I'm gonna continue with the cut till around christmas or so. I'm still impatient to bulk but this provided a little perspective. I was geting discouraged as my loss seemed to stall. I think I'm just going to have to step up the cardio and add a refeed or two. I've been slacking on the cardio specifically because, well, cardio sucks. Oh well, thanks all. I appreciate the direction.

Jayfive
10-08-2009, 07:48 AM
Heh, I just remembered I bought some Nitor a few days ago too...

JSully
10-09-2009, 09:02 AM
now that you answered my question of what you want..

what do you want more at this time?

IMO and experience, it's easier to get chubby and jacked first, than it is to stay lean and build it up. I bulked from 215 to 265 once, then cut back down to 230 and looked fantastic. It all depends on how much work you want to do. I would rather diet off the fat then worry about keeping it off while not growing as fast as I potentially could be.