PDA

View Full Version : [Pro Journal] - Travis Mash's Comeback!

TravisMash
10-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Speed Bench 10-5-09
Posted by masheliteperformance at 09:08 PM on October 05, 2009 comments (0)

Today went real well! My training partners are Seth Seaford and Eric Smith.

Bench: 225/3x5, 275/2, 325/1 (changed grips each time)

Then I am doing the last set of Jim Wendler's 5-3-1, so I did 305/7.

DB Flat Bench for max reps: 85/16

Rows

Pushdowns

Shoulder Reverse Extensions 10 reps x 3

External Rotation

Scap Walks

As you can see the last three exercises are simply injury prevention, but for me they are injury rehab due to a major injury in my Cerical Spine. It has damaged my radial nerve, but now with the K-Laser at Dr. Gray's there has been major nerve rejuvenation. Each week there is at least a 10-15% increase which is huge! I am excited to receive my Mass Stack from At Large Nutrition to put on some serious muscle. I am also trying Xtend from Scivation.

God has been really good to me, and I give him all the glory for this comeback! I am getting really excited for December!

First Two Weeks of Training
Posted by masheliteperformance at 08:12 PM on October 04, 2009 comments (0)

My first two weeks of training is going well. My game plan is to compete in both powerlifting and Olympic Lifting. I am excited to be a part of Team Titan Support Systems, At Large Nutrition, Scivation, and Primaforce, so my sponsors are on board, so all that is left are the results. I am seeing Dr. Gray on Monday's and Fridays for laser treatment of my cervical spine, radial nerve, and hip. It has been a dramatic response so far. My workout look something like this:

Monday: Speed Bench

Tuesday: Olympic Lifting and ME Lower Body

Thursday: ME Bench

Friday: Olympic lifting and Dynamic Lower Body

Each day also consists of a dynamic warm up focusing on mobility, and injury prevention work targeting the shoulders, hips and knees. Below is my meet itinerary for the upcoming year for powerlifting. I will choose Olympic events early next year. I just pray that God gives me the strength to stay balanced and humble!

SC States December 5, 2009 APF West Columbia SC

Battle on the Border March 10, 2010 USAPL Charlotte NC

Nationals June 18-20, 2010 USAPL Palm Springs CA

07. - 13. November 2010 Men's and Women's World

Championships IPF Durban South Africa

05. - 07. March 2011 Arnold Sports Festival USAPL Columbus (Ohio) USA

The Quest
Posted by masheliteperformance at 08:37 PM on September 23, 2009 comments (0)

This week marks the beginning of the journey back. Now at 36 years old, married, a father, christian, on staff at Gray Chiropractic and Sports Associates, and owner of Mash Elite Performance, the goals, priorities, and methodology have changed, but the mission remains the same: Win! I haven't competed since 2007, and the last two and a half years seem like decades. I have learned a lot about strength and conditioning, and even more about life.

The things that I have learned about life affect me as a person and an athlete. I have learned that I can't do life without God. I have met the most amazing woman on earth Emily Drew Mash(it was Taylor). She trully completes me as a man. She is brilliant, an artist, a follower of Christ, and unbelievably supportive. Some nights when we talk at dinner, I ask myself who is this amazing woman beside me. Her thoughts are like letters from Shakespeare. Every night and every day I thank God for sending her to me as evidence of His magnificence. My daughter Bailey Alexandra means more to me than ever before. It is so amazing to watch her grow up into a young lady. Through all of this I have learned what my priorities in life are, and I understand balance now. Now that I have explained my life lessons, let me discuss my plans for competition.

My goals are to compete at an elite level in powerlifting and Olympic Lifting. I have a lot of obstacles to overcome: nerve damage that has affected my left arm especially my tricep, major hip immobility, and I am simply older. My plan is to maintain weekly sports medicine with Dr. Lawrence Gray in Winston-Salem. I will be using a new infrared laser called the K-Laser for nerve rejuvenation as well as Chiropractic adjustments, and Active Release Technique and K-Laser for my hips. You can check all this out at GrayCSA.com for more information.

I will also use a dynamic warm up for mobility, and a well planned workout to ensure proper training volumes. I will also incorporated several injury prevention workouts targeting weak spots like lower and mid trapezius.

Now don't get me wrong, I will still be lifting crazy weights, just not every workout. I will post my complete workout, and sports medicine schedule in my next blog. Stay tuned because this should be an interesting quest for a 36 year old man because I have every intention in beating any man no matter their age.

TravisMash
10-08-2009, 03:39 PM
ME Bench
Posted by masheliteperformance at 05:32 PM on October 08, 2009 comments (0)

Upper Body Mobility

2 Board Raw Bench 405/3 and 455/1 all easy! This is a good sign that my left radial nerve is waking up from the K-laser. Just FYI, one year ago my bench was 215/1 because of a major cervical injury. Thank God for second chances!

2 Board Closegrip 335/6

Fat Bar Pin Lockouts with closegrip from 3 inches off chest: 405/1, 315/8

Fat Bar Standing Millitary Presses 200/5x2

Pullups 10 reps x 3

Rows 10x3

Pullovers for Serratus Anterior 75/10 x 2

Now I am off to watch a JV Football Game that some of my athletes are competing!

ME Lower and Oly 10-6
Posted by masheliteperformance at 05:28 PM on October 08, 2009 comments (0)

Mobility warm up

P. Snatch 165/3, 185/2, 205/3

Front Squat 475/1 easy

Goodmornings 315/5, 365/3

Power Squats 450/8x2

Pullthroughs and Kettlebell Swings

My hip feels great from the K-Laser and Active Release which is a first in years.

Cricket_Fire
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Very cool to see you start a journal over here Travis; I've started doing some oly lifting recently aswell (ontop of my powerlifting). Hoping to hit my first OL meet in April.

I'll deffinatly be dropping in here for advice/ideas!

Travis Bell
10-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Excellent stuff Travis. Thanks for posting your log here

mbb123
10-08-2009, 08:09 PM
Praise God! Jesus is Awsome! I had the same thing happen to me 5 years ago. The Lord sent a wonderful woman and follower of Christ into my life. After a year of watching and listening to her i gave my life over to Jesus. I have not been the same since! Jesus radically changed my. I will be praying and rooting for you along your way! God Bless my brother!

Tom Mutaffis
10-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Solid training Travis. What is your bodyweight these days?

snitram
10-09-2009, 12:56 PM
ME Bench
Posted by masheliteperformance at 05:32 PM on October 08, 2009 comments (0)

Upper Body Mobility

2 Board Raw Bench 405/3 and 455/1 all easy! This is a good sign that my left radial nerve is waking up from the K-laser. Just FYI, one year ago my bench was 215/1 because of a major cervical injury. Thank God for second chances!

2 Board Closegrip 335/6

Fat Bar Pin Lockouts with closegrip from 3 inches off chest: 405/1, 315/8

Fat Bar Standing Millitary Presses 200/5x2

Pullups 10 reps x 3

Rows 10x3

Pullovers for Serratus Anterior 75/10 x 2

Now I am off to watch a JV Football Game that some of my athletes are competing!

ME Lower and Oly 10-6
Posted by masheliteperformance at 05:28 PM on October 08, 2009 comments (0)

Mobility warm up

P. Snatch 165/3, 185/2, 205/3

Front Squat 475/1 easy

Goodmornings 315/5, 365/3

Power Squats 450/8x2

Pullthroughs and Kettlebell Swings

My hip feels great from the K-Laser and Active Release which is a first in years.

Travis,
Glad to see your posting here and more importantly to see God's amazing transformation in you and your family's life!

Lones Green
10-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Good to see you posting. Be sure and get some video! I found your old video very interesting.

john bernor
10-12-2009, 09:36 PM
amazing,,PRAISE GOD,,great to see you Travis,,keeping repping JESUS to the fullest..

TravisMash
10-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks guys for the kind words! I am glad to see you guys excited about Jesus! It has been the best thing in my life with my wife following second. My bodyweight is 225 right now!

TravisMash
10-13-2009, 04:25 PM
This was a great day despite the fact that I was rushed around for a wedding rehearsal. Now I am remembering what it is like to be focused. It is when small details like rehearsals, tuxedo pick ups, and rehearsal dinners are considered distractions, lol!

Cleans 245/3, 275/3, 300/3

Box Squats 405/2x4, 455/2, 505/2, no box from here on out, 565/1, 600/1 (all raw)

Deadlifts standing on a 3"box 455/1x4, 525/1, 605/1 all raw

Step ups 3 x 8

Isolateral 45 Degree Hypers 25/8 x 3

Ball Circles for Planks

The weekend was crazy because a groomsman straight passed out during the service. I laughed until I cried! It was awesome! I wish the videographer had captured it on video! Dang it!

TravisMash
10-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Even I am surprised by the speed at which things are coming back and without the pain that I experienced in the past. I attribute a lot of it to details. Everyday my supplementation looks like this:

A.M. E.T.S from At Large Nutrition, Opticen from At Large Nutrition (meal replacement), and fish oil

Pre-Workout: Creatine from At Large

Post-Workout Creatine from At Large and Opticen from At Large

Bedtime: E.T.S from At Large, and Maximus from At Large

I combine this with K-Laser Treatments, Active Release Technique, and Adjustments from Dr. Gray at Gray Chiropractic and Sports Associates. I am also adhering to a strict anti-inflammatory diet. All combined is allowing a 36 year old the dream of a comeback.

Let's not forget, God is on my side this time, which is hard to beat my friends!

Also and amazing wife and daughter!

TravisMash
10-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Bench 135 & Purple Bands doubled/3x4, 185+Purples./2, 225+p/1, 255+p/1, 335/5 straight weight closegrips

Incline DBs max reps 105s. 15

Pushdowns (skipped DB Extensions because of elbows sore due to handling more weight)

Rows

Blackburns (awesome exercise for mid/lower traps)

Shoulder Extensions

I had the K-Laser on my radial nerve, and had my lumbar spine adjusted. The laser rocks.

It feels so awesome to be getting back in the swing of things. Balance is key: God, wife, daughter, family, friends, work, and training. It is a hand full!

TravisMash
10-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Snatch 155/3, 185/3, 205/5

DL with plates on 2" Blocks 675/1 raw

Front Squats 365/5x2

Goodmornings 365/5, 405/3 no belt

Then I just did some glute work and planks! I am scaling back a little this week for a surge next week.

I am excited to receive my equipment from Titan soon. I haven't been in any equipment in two years. It should be a lot of fun.

TravisMash
10-20-2009, 09:55 AM
Goal Setting Revised

By Travis Mash

James 4 (NLT)

13 Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” 14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. 15 What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.” 16 Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil

Many of you have read my posts in the past on goal setting, and I am still very pro-goal setting just with a different outlook. For Christians goal setting should be done with God in mind first. The verses above tell us that to plan without putting God first is foolish and sinful. Our lives are like a vapor that could at any moment fade away. We are to put God first in every decision that we make whether it be financial, family, athletics, or whatever.

So how does this apply to goal setting? You can’t decide that you want to be a world champion, and then ask God to bless it. That is putting the cart before the horse. The key is to stay in the Word and prayer, and then the key is to listen. The goal is to glorify God not yourself! Goal setting should start with the phrase, “if it be your will Lord”.

The Steps

I. Prayer and then Listen! My friend and client Ted Budd the inventor of Praytel.net is doing a blog on listening to God. His information comes from a sermon by Charles Stanley, and it simply states the truth.

You can check this out on www.praytel.net/blog/

1. Consistent with the Word of God, while not out of context.

2. Does it conflict with human reason. Usually God’s plan will conflict with natural way of doing things. And are often not rational and reasonable.

3. Turn the other cheek

Go two miles

Sacrifice of Isaac (which would now contradict his Word)

4. Does it clash with the gratification of fleshly desires? God seeks to satisfy the yearning of the Spirit.

5. Will this challenge my faith? God is always up to challenging our faith.

6. Does this decision call for courage? Often, not always, what is spoken will require it.

Example:

Go back to Scripture. Imagine Jesus telling his disciples what's about to happen in regards to himself

• Suffer

• Killed

• Rise from Dead

7. Does this fit with the above Criteria? Yes. Each of the above criteria were true in the life of Christ.

8. Does is careless regarding it’s effect toward other people, crude toward others, or overly independent. Does it require a rushed or snap decision?

9. Consider the future consequences of what you do? Satan says “forget the future! You only live once! Eat, drink & be merry.” God will sometimes lead us to get advice, BUT we must check out the lifestyle of those we get advice from. Does not mean ignore it. BUT remember criteria 1-6 above.

10.Does it Contribute to my spiritual growth or hinder?

11. A Calmness develops in my spirit.

II. Plan: For example if God wants you to be a world champion lifter, then to go at it without a plan is not taking it serious, and inevitably you are not taking God serious. Get detailed in your planning! Relating to powerlifting you have to look at lots of variables: diet, supplementation, training, work capacity, injury prevention, recovery, mobility, etc. It is the same with a career or a new business. For example, starting a new business would look something like this: target market, demographics, marketing plan, sales system, hiring system, taxes, a well thought out business plan. If God is telling you to do something, then to be lazy about it is unacceptable. God’s way doesn’t mean to be passive or lazy! When you are doing unto God, you better be giving a 100% effort every time. If you ever read Proverbs, then you know that God doesn’t reward foolish or lazy people. He is glorified by hard working people that make wise decisions.

Simply check out Proverbs Chapter 1

20 Wisdom shouts in the streets.

She cries out in the public square.

21 She calls to the crowds along the main street,

to those gathered in front of the city gate:

22 “How long, you simpletons,

will you insist on being simpleminded?

32 For simpletons turn away from me—to death.

Fools are destroyed by their own complacency.

33 But all who listen to me will live in peace,

untroubled by fear of harm.”

This doesn’t mean that you have to be a Harvard Graduate. It simply means to be wise to God’s plan for people. Study God’s word and learn what He has in store for us.

III. Commit yourself to the plan, but stay in prayer. God can change at any moment, and you have to be prepared for that. My friend Shane Hammons, the best heavy weight Weightlifter in American history, once told me that if God told him to leave weightlifting that he would be gone in a heart beat. At the time I was new to the Olympic Training Center, and all that I could think about was the Olympics. Making the Olympics was my god. Shane was there to glorify God, and the Olympics were nothing but a platform. I couldn’t understand at the time, but I do now. I will go as far as God wants me in this comeback, but at anytime if He wants me to take a different path, then I will listen.

IV. Remember that the outcome is up to God! I plan and train for victory, but if God intends for me to lose, then I will pray that He will be glorified in my defeat. However, I have the confidence in God that victory is inevitable. I just might not know what He means by victory. In I&II Samuel David always had confidence, not in himself, but in God. I used to talk about self-confidence, but now I more confident than ever, just not in myself. I am confident in Christ.

A lot of this may seem different from what you have heard from me in the past, and it is. I set goals before! I was self-confident! I reached my goal of world champion! Then I was sadder than ever! If you live for some self serving goal, then you will be self absorbed. I didn’t care who I hurt or what I did. All I cared about was the result! Not now! Not ever again! I live for Christ first, my wife second, my friends and family, and me last. If my goals of a comeback get in the way of these priorities, then I will drop the comeback in a heart beat. For now though I live by the verse Phillipians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ,[c] who gives me strength. 14

If you have any question or concerns, my email is travismonstermash@yahoo.com!

glenflex
10-20-2009, 08:00 PM
AMEN Brother!! Thank you for your strength and working for the most important reason in the world the Gospel.

I look forward to being in Columbia Cheering you on.

You inspired me to get my tail back to the gym and get my squats and cleans in this week.

TravisMash
10-25-2009, 07:28 PM
2 Board Bench Raw 495/1

Raw Bench 365/1 easy

Standing Millitary Press 200/5, 225/3, 255/1

Blackburns

Rows

I felt really strong, just a little beat up, so I backed it down. This is a big step for me because in the past I would have pushed forward, and then I would have wondered why I was overtrained.

I went on to have a wonderful evening with my wife and two crazy dogs. I am a blessed man and in no way deserve it!

TravisMash
10-25-2009, 07:29 PM
Clean & Jerks (Started performing like Dynamic Effort) 255/1x3, 275/1x2, 295/1, 305/1

Box Squats 315/2x2, 365/2x2, 405/2, 455/2, 505/1, 555/1, 605/1 all raw

DLs Alternated Sumo and Conv 405/1x2, 455/1x2, 505/1, 545/1, 605/1

Asymetrical Lunges

GHRs

I had a K-laser treatment, A.R,T, and an adjustment all focused on my hip and low back. Every competitive athlete should have a good Chiropractor!

TravisMash
10-29-2009, 08:37 AM
Start the day with a K-laser Treatment and Cervical adjustment!

Fat Bar Dynamic Bench- 275/3x3, 315/3x2, 350/2, 375/1
Flat DB Bench for Reps- 125/15
(Radial nerve still makes the left side a challenge.
DB Tricep Ext
Rows
Pullovers (serratus work)

On Mondays I live off of Opticen! It's funny because I don't get really hungry, and my weight stays the same! In a busy life a meal replacement is a must.

My training partner Seth Seaford has the swine flu! I believe that he has the immune system of a 5 year old!

TravisMash
10-29-2009, 08:41 AM
Lower Body mobility work
Complexes

Power Snatch 205/1x3, 225/1x2, 245/1, 265/1
Front Squats Max 3 485/3 easy
RDLs 405/8x3
Lunges
Plank work

Things are progressing well! I have learned so much in the past few years about volume, recovery, and intensity. You simply can't kill yourself all the time!

snitram
10-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Goal Setting Revised

By Travis Mash

James 4 (NLT)

13 Look here, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we are going to a certain town and will stay there a year. We will do business there and make a profit.” 14 How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? Your life is like the morning fog—it’s here a little while, then it’s gone. 15 What you ought to say is, “If the Lord wants us to, we will live and do this or that.” 16 Otherwise you are boasting about your own plans, and all such boasting is evil

Many of you have read my posts in the past on goal setting, and I am still very pro-goal setting just with a different outlook. For Christians goal setting should be done with God in mind first. The verses above tell us that to plan without putting God first is foolish and sinful. Our lives are like a vapor that could at any moment fade away. We are to put God first in every decision that we make whether it be financial, family, athletics, or whatever.

So how does this apply to goal setting? You can’t decide that you want to be a world champion, and then ask God to bless it. That is putting the cart before the horse. The key is to stay in the Word and prayer, and then the key is to listen. The goal is to glorify God not yourself! Goal setting should start with the phrase, “if it be your will Lord”.

The Steps

I. Prayer and then Listen! My friend and client Ted Budd the inventor of Praytel.net is doing a blog on listening to God. His information comes from a sermon by Charles Stanley, and it simply states the truth.

You can check this out on www.praytel.net/blog/

1. Consistent with the Word of God, while not out of context.

2. Does it conflict with human reason. Usually God’s plan will conflict with natural way of doing things. And are often not rational and reasonable.

3. Turn the other cheek

Go two miles

Sacrifice of Isaac (which would now contradict his Word)

4. Does it clash with the gratification of fleshly desires? God seeks to satisfy the yearning of the Spirit.

5. Will this challenge my faith? God is always up to challenging our faith.

6. Does this decision call for courage? Often, not always, what is spoken will require it.

Example:

Go back to Scripture. Imagine Jesus telling his disciples what's about to happen in regards to himself

• Suffer

• Killed

• Rise from Dead

7. Does this fit with the above Criteria? Yes. Each of the above criteria were true in the life of Christ.

8. Does is careless regarding it’s effect toward other people, crude toward others, or overly independent. Does it require a rushed or snap decision?

9. Consider the future consequences of what you do? Satan says “forget the future! You only live once! Eat, drink & be merry.” God will sometimes lead us to get advice, BUT we must check out the lifestyle of those we get advice from. Does not mean ignore it. BUT remember criteria 1-6 above.

10.Does it Contribute to my spiritual growth or hinder?

11. A Calmness develops in my spirit.

II. Plan: For example if God wants you to be a world champion lifter, then to go at it without a plan is not taking it serious, and inevitably you are not taking God serious. Get detailed in your planning! Relating to powerlifting you have to look at lots of variables: diet, supplementation, training, work capacity, injury prevention, recovery, mobility, etc. It is the same with a career or a new business. For example, starting a new business would look something like this: target market, demographics, marketing plan, sales system, hiring system, taxes, a well thought out business plan. If God is telling you to do something, then to be lazy about it is unacceptable. God’s way doesn’t mean to be passive or lazy! When you are doing unto God, you better be giving a 100% effort every time. If you ever read Proverbs, then you know that God doesn’t reward foolish or lazy people. He is glorified by hard working people that make wise decisions.

Simply check out Proverbs Chapter 1

20 Wisdom shouts in the streets.

She cries out in the public square.

21 She calls to the crowds along the main street,

to those gathered in front of the city gate:

22 “How long, you simpletons,

will you insist on being simpleminded?

32 For simpletons turn away from me—to death.

Fools are destroyed by their own complacency.

33 But all who listen to me will live in peace,

untroubled by fear of harm.”

This doesn’t mean that you have to be a Harvard Graduate. It simply means to be wise to God’s plan for people. Study God’s word and learn what He has in store for us.

III. Commit yourself to the plan, but stay in prayer. God can change at any moment, and you have to be prepared for that. My friend Shane Hammons, the best heavy weight Weightlifter in American history, once told me that if God told him to leave weightlifting that he would be gone in a heart beat. At the time I was new to the Olympic Training Center, and all that I could think about was the Olympics. Making the Olympics was my god. Shane was there to glorify God, and the Olympics were nothing but a platform. I couldn’t understand at the time, but I do now. I will go as far as God wants me in this comeback, but at anytime if He wants me to take a different path, then I will listen.

IV. Remember that the outcome is up to God! I plan and train for victory, but if God intends for me to lose, then I will pray that He will be glorified in my defeat. However, I have the confidence in God that victory is inevitable. I just might not know what He means by victory. In I&II Samuel David always had confidence, not in himself, but in God. I used to talk about self-confidence, but now I more confident than ever, just not in myself. I am confident in Christ.

A lot of this may seem different from what you have heard from me in the past, and it is. I set goals before! I was self-confident! I reached my goal of world champion! Then I was sadder than ever! If you live for some self serving goal, then you will be self absorbed. I didn’t care who I hurt or what I did. All I cared about was the result! Not now! Not ever again! I live for Christ first, my wife second, my friends and family, and me last. If my goals of a comeback get in the way of these priorities, then I will drop the comeback in a heart beat. For now though I live by the verse Phillipians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ,[c] who gives me strength. 14

If you have any question or concerns, my email is travismonstermash@yahoo.com!

Thanks Travis, I as I needed this Word today!

muscle_g
10-30-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey Travis, I see your competeing at the meet in Columbia on Dec 5th!! I'll be there competeing also:) What weight class will you be in?

Can't wait to meet you!!

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Hopefully 220! What about you? I can't wait to meet you too!

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Glad that God's word could be of service!

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Reverse Band Purple Bench Max 3 445/3

Shirt Work (I used a single ply Katana from Titan) went up to 505/1 easy

This was the first bench shirt that I have used in three years. I felt easy! I just need to get my CNS used to heavier weight again.

Fat Bar Standing Millitary Press and worked up to 250/1

Weighted Pullups

Rows

Pullovers for Serratus

Shoulder Extensions

Excited to be back in the shirt!

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 08:32 PM
I was feeling a little bit beat up, so I decided to take Friday off. One thing that I have learned is that recovery is as important as hard training. I was able to get K-Laser treatment, Active Release Technique, and spinal adjustment.

The fair was crazy! Raining the whole time! However, I decided to see if I could literally gain 10 lbs in one day. I started out at 235, and at last count I had made it to 242. Let me tell you I was miserable. Luckily I was able to talk my wife into leaving the fair, and we went to the $1.50 movie theatre. It turned out to be the greatest day of all-time! We watched two movies and ate popcorn.

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Speed Bench 225+Minis doubled/3x3, 275+minis/3x2, 315+minis/2, 335+minis/1

Incline DB Bench 120/15

DB Tricep Ext

Pushdowns

Rows

Blackburns

Rear Delts

Very busy day, but everything felt very easy. I am working with some incredible younger athletes right now, so it's fun to experiment on myself before them.

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 08:34 PM
Power Snatch worked up to 275/1

Reverse Purple DL raw 725/1 easy

Lunges

Ab Work

I decided to take it easy because I am putting on equipment this weekend for the first time, so I want to be fresh!

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Reverse Purple Bench 525/1

Down Set of 315/10

Standing Millitary

Rows

Rear Delts

Blackburns

My bench is feeling awesome right now! The K-Laser is finally getting my cervical spine and radial nerve to come alive. One year ago I couldn't bench 225/1, so I thankful that God has given me a second chance!

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 08:36 PM
East Coast Barbell is home to Cheryl Clodfelter, Ox Mason, and Mike White. They have a powerlifter's paradise at their facility. Cheryl is by far the strongest female in North Carolina, and Ox is my old college friend. We have been lifting together now for over 16 years. He was also a great lifter, but now is retired to pursue MMA, and getting ripped.

I put on a Custom Single Ply Centurion from Titan, and I worked up to 700/1 easy. I performed this old school walk out and all. Straps were down with no knee wraps! I should definitely go over 800 single ply in my first meet back. This should set me up for a good year in the USAPL next year. I believe that God has a plan for me, and I plan on being obedient.

DL raw worked up to 650/1!

TravisMash
11-01-2009, 09:00 PM
This weekend was a weekend of realizing what a blessed man that I am. Three years ago God had stripped me of my lifting, my money and career, my father, and basically everything that I thought that was important to me. It's funny how it takes things like that sometimes to actually let God steer the ship. Now I have a beautiful wife that is absolutely my best friend in the world. We have so much fun together. Yesterday she allowed me to veg out in the recliner because I was simply worn from the week. When I woke up at around 7p, I said let's go to dinner and a movie. She simply replied, "OK Babe!" We both just love to act spontaneously. I have an amazing daughter that continues to grow up so quickly!

I have an amazing group of Christian friends from Centergrove Baptist Church that I just spent the evening. You wouldn't believe how many questions they ask about my upcoming competitions. They simply care so much! When my wife had cancer, there wasn't a week that went by that someone from the church wasn't calling or writting a letter or bringing us dinner.

I have In-Laws that are simply awesome! They are so supportive! It's like dream parents! Everything that we do, they support! My mother is always a blessing in my life.

Now God has given me a second chance at powerlifting and Olympic lifting. Not many people get to rewrite their past, and as I can't change what I have done in the past, I can do it right this time. I can lift for God! For His Glory! And this time, Let His Will Be Done! Not mine! He delivered amazing sponsors to me: At Large Nutrition, and Titan Support Systems. He has partnered me with the best Sport's Medicine Chiropractor in the region Dr. Lawrence Gray and Gray Chiropractic and Sports Associates (www.GrayCSA.com).

Add my best friend KJ, and I am the most blessed man on earth!

muscle_g
11-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Hopefully 220! What about you? I can't wait to meet you too!

I'll probably be in the 220's also. Although I aint nearly as strong as you are lol, but I'm hoping to break some PR's there.

Coke
11-02-2009, 04:53 PM
That is an awesome read Travis!! - God has blessed you in several ways.

TravisMash
11-03-2009, 12:11 PM
It doesn't matter Bro! We'll both be lifting for our own PR's and having fun!

TravisMash
11-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I appreciate the words! He really has! It doesn't mean that more tests aren't coming, but I will be obedient then too!

byronsru24
11-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Great to see you making a comeback Travis. I felt much the same as you when I was in a car accident earlier this year, and herniated 2 discs in my neck. Lifting was a big part of my life and it was snatched away from me. Slowly but surely I'm clawing my way back. Its great to see you are doing the same. I must admit, having a good woman in your corner can work wonders too

TravisMash
11-05-2009, 03:39 PM
Absolutely a good woman is a big key! Good-luck on your comeback my friend!

TravisMash
11-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Today was just Prowler work

Prowler 140 lbs/40 yards x 6

For some who have never tried the Prowler, six 40 yard sprints might seem like not a big deal, but for those of us who have experienced the wrath of the demon sled, we know that six 40 yard Prowler sprints are hell on earth. So much that my training partner, Seth Seaford, only made it about one half a mile down the road before throwing up.

This week has been a week of falling in love with working out all over again, but this time it is like a whole new love. It feels that God has given me one more opportunity to use the strengths and talents that He has given me for His glory! For the first time in years I am Olympic lifting without pain, and I am making considerable gains. The same holds true for powerlifting no pain and very steady gains. Now I have been sprinting and pushing the Prowler without pain, and I am starting to get in much better pain. So what is my point?

God has allowed me to take out all the garbage that I was starting to hate like the negativity of the online powerlifter, the obsession to continue to break world records just so everyone would think that I was important, etc. It was all about me! I loved the emails, the interviews, and the magazine covers because it was my way of being ok with me. I was chasing this identity of me being this great strength athlete, and that was all that I cared about. It was a lonely place to be!

Now all I care about is God's glory! I enjoy working out again because the results are up to Him! I just work as hard as possible, and the rest is up to Him! It has made my training much more fun, and the improvements are coming much quicker. Now I am not worried about impressing other people, or going heavy because someone new is in the gym. Now I do whatever is planned, and that is it! It makes it easier to keep the training volumes to optimal levels without overtraining.

What is exciting is that now all things are possible, Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. The only change from the past is Colossians 3:23 Whatever you do, do your work heartily as for the Lord rather than for men. So now I start to think about the Olympics, powerlifting, weightlifting, bobsled, winter Olympics! Is it possible at my age? If you believe God's Word, the answer is yes, but the beautiful thing is it is up to God, not me. I just workout hard for my Lord and Savior, and leave it up to Him. I am not sure about what the future holds, and I don't care. It's God's will that I care about, and let it be done! Let it be done!

TravisMash
11-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Fat Bar Dynamic Bench- 250/3x3, 275/3x2, 295/2, 340/1, 375/1, 405/1

Flat DB Bench 125/13

2 Board Closegrip Lockouts 305/8x3

Rows

Band Blackburns

I had my elbows lasered before hand, and that was a big help with the inflammation!

TravisMash
11-07-2009, 09:23 PM
11-3-09 Olympic Lifting ME Lower

Complexes, mobility work

Power Snatch- 205/1x3, 215/1x2, 230/1, 240/1, 250/1, 265/1

Front Squats- 525/1 easy

Goodmornings- 365/6

Snatch pulls- 305/3

DB Walking Lunges- 65s/8

Pull Throughs- 205/15

Bench Pistols 25/5

Prowler 140/4 40 yd dashes

john bernor
11-07-2009, 10:37 PM
AMEN Travis,,inspiring words,,keep being a warrior...GOD BLESS

TravisMash
11-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks man! Just trying to be obedient my friend! How are you these days?

TravisMash
11-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Bench Press 2 Board Press- worked up to 405/1 full bench, then worked up to 455/3 easy, and then down set of 365/5

Standing Millitary Press 275/2 and down set of 225/5

Seated Rows

Band Blackburns

External Rotation

TravisMash
11-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I started the day with K-Laser, Adjustment, and Active Release Technique! With Dr. Gray on my team, I have the same advantages as several pro athletes. Besides God and my Wife, Dr. Gray is what makes this whole thing possible.

Power Cleans- 330/1 very easy! I am getting very excited for an Olympic Lifting competition sometime early next year.

Squats worked up to 635/2 raw (no knee wraps) easy

DL 700/1 raw and easy

That night I spent the evening being my Wife's husband! She is an amazing artist, and at 24 years old she is the youngest by over 20 years in her gallery "Art Works" in Winston-Salem, NC. Art Works is the most prestigious gallery in Winston. Any artist that wants to be a part of the gallery has to submit their work for review by the gallery's board for acceptance. Three of the other members are professors at colleges including Wake Forest University. She mingled and talked art while I just smiled and looked pretty, lol! She amazes me! Sometimes when she talks, I think to myself "who is this woman"! It is like living with Picasso, and her words are like Hemingway, and sometimes her thoughts are like Plato or Aristotle. Why did God bless me with her? She is like and Angel sent directly from HIm! I in no way deserve someone like her, but in my opinion no man is her equal, but I will spend my life loving her like no one else could.

So anyway getting back to the fabulous night, we had so much fun! It was a gallery hop, where all the galleries stay open late, and the streets of Winston-Salem, in the arts district, are blocked off. After she was done at her gallery, we spent the rest of the night holding hands, and walking around looking at the other galleries. It was a fantastic night for a walk!

Some of you might be wondering how two people so different can be so in love! That's easy! We respect each other's abilities and talents. We are similar in the fact that we both want all glory to go to our Lord, and neither one of us puts any limits on what is possible. It makes for very interesting dinner table conversations. I love to hear about her stories in the studio, and all the ways that God chooses to inspire her. God I love my wife!

dynamo
11-08-2009, 09:03 PM
props for loving your wife. hopefully i'll feel the same way if i ever get married :thumbup:

muscle_g
11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
Nice work Travis!! Are you competeing raw or geared in Dec?

And yes God is truelly GOOD

TravisMash
11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks man! I am trully blessed!

TravisMash
11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Man I am not sure yet believe it or not! I will probably just guest lift, and do it half raw and half not. Maybe just knee wraps in the squat, raw bench, and a single ply deadlift suit, but I am not sure.

TravisMash
11-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Speed Bench- 275/3x3, 315/3x2, 350/2, 385/1, 405/1

Incline DB Bench- 125/10

Dips Weighted- 45/10x3

Rows 3x10

Blackburn Bands 3 sets

Rear Delt Machine 3x15

Elbows are feeling much better after K-Laser Treatments and ice! At the beginning of all of this I wasn't sure if I would ever be able to get my bench to where it used to be, but now I am convinced that by next year I should right back to normal.

Listen I know that I am sponsored by At Large Nutrition, and you guys know that I am going to plug their products, but the Novus Bar absolutely rocks! Most protein bars are nothing but a super charged snickers, but this thing is the real deal!

TravisMash
11-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Power Snatch- 280/1

Deadlift Max triple from floor- 635/3 raw

Front Squats- 425/5

GHRs- 25/8x3

Interesting that at the age of 36 that God would see fit to give me one more chance at doing this thing right! By right I mean giving Him all the glory! I love lifting weights again like when I was 21! I love each and every workout! I can't begin to tell you what it is like to know that you are capable of competing on an elite world level in two sports. It's like God has aligned me with great sponsors, a great Doc, and an amazingly supportive wife! For the first time in my life God has given me the right situation to go out and witness for Him with my lifting! To God be the glory!

TravisMash
11-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I put on a seminar at Gray Chiropractic and Sports Associates with Dr. Gray. We discussed Hydration, Supplementation, and Recovery. We had about 15 people show up on a random Tuesday night, which was awesome. That's capacity at our office! Interesting group of people because it was powerlifters, tri-athletes, the normal weekend warrior, and just normal people. Here are a few solid points of each:

1. Hydration as it pertains to us all

A. Humans need at least 8 glasses of water per day to maintain proper hydration levels

B. Most Americans know this, but only 34% actually drink this amount and 10% don’t drink water at all.

C. 77% of Americans are dehydrated

D. In 35% of Americans the thirst mechanism is so low that it is often mistaken for hunger

E. Even mild dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 3%.

F. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger panes for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

G. Lack of water is the number 1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

H. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day is capable of significantly easing back and joint pain.

I. A mere 2% drop in body water is capable of triggering short term memory trouble.

J. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it is capable of slashing the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

K. All types of soft drinks are very acidic, especially colas. In order to neutralize a glass of cola, it takes 32 glasses of high pH alkaline water. Now is that feasible for most? It is clearly known by the medical profession that disease loves acid. In fact, a physician from Loma Linda University declared in a speech that if we were capable of getting our cells to maintain a normal pH (slightly alkaline), cancer would not be capable of growing in the human body. Cancer is like a plant cell; it can’t live in an oxygen-rich environment. Cola drinks make our bodied poor in oxygen. The average American is consuming 800 or more soft drinks annually. We have to be responsible for our own lives. Doctor’s are not responsible for our health.

L. True Cellular Hydration for the Athlete (see handout)

2. Supplements are ok for the most part. Remember that supplements are just derivatives of the foods that you already eat, just in a more concentrated dose. If we could eat the optimal amounts of fruits and vegetables, then we wouldn’t need vitamins and minerals, but the reality is that we can’t or that we just don’t. Also when you factor in the new ways of growing fruits and vegetables, and even the way that we farm our fish and meats, now you are looking at even less amounts of vitamins and nutrients. What happens when you don’t consume enough vitamin and minerals? Lowered immune system! That’s the last thing that any of us wants!

A. A high quality Wellness Essential that is gender sensitive to support the proper endocrine system, maintain proper amounts of vitamins and minerals, and to maintain proper mental functions.

B. Caffeine is a perfectly safe supplement based on the research, and has been shown to up metabolism. Caffeine has been shown to increase peak power and mean power in endurance athletes.

C. Beta-Alanine delays fatigue, increases Type I and Type II skeletal muscle (64% in 28 days), and improves endurance performance. (This is in Results and it rocks!)

D. Creatine improves the ability of your muscles to resynthesize ATP from ADP following high-intensity, short duration exercise. Creatine is definitely not just water weight! In current studies creatine was shown to increase the content of Type I, IIa, and IIb fibers in skeletal muscle, increase muscle strength, and volume. Creatine was also shown to increase brain function both in speed of processing, and storage capacity. Last creatine was shown to drastically improve muscle endurance. I use At Large's Creatine 500 with amazing results so far.

E. Essential amino acids (Phenylalanine, Valine, Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Methionine, Lysine, and Leucine) were shown to improve endurance performance, strength and power performance, and lean body mass.

F. Protein was shown to increase lean muscle mass and more importantly aided in recovery. However, a much higher response was recorded in athletes ingesting protein immediately prior, and immediately after exercise versus just ingesting morning and night. I use Opticen as a Meal Replacement and Nitrean post workout.

G. Fish oil was found to decrease the insulin response, which allows food to be used more efficiently. Studies with fish oil also showed an improvement in cardiovascular function, which means that people with cardiovascular disease should definitely look into supplementation with fish oil (obviously after consulting your doctor). Fish oil studies also showed a reduction in inflammation which also decreased overall joint pain that is associated with inflammation. Last fish oil was shown to have a positive response on depression, and where shown to affect an overall sense of well-being.

H. Last sports drinks were analyzed with endurance athletes, and some pretty startling facts were discovered. Mainly sports drinks that had added 5-7 grams of Whey Protein to a quality carbohydrate and electrolyte blend rode 29% longer and performed at peak levels 40% longer. Dr. Gray was pleased to hear this information, since we had just started carrying “H2O Overdrive”.

3. Recovery Defined- From a physiological perspective, muscle fibers are made of protein and increase in size if the protein is synthesized. Exercise increases the breakdown in muscle protein while decreasing protein synthesis. It also depletes glycogen, which is what the muscles use for energy. Glycogen consists of glucose molecules. Finally, insulin levels are frequently reduced after exercise. Insulin is a hormone that enables the muscle cell to absorb glucose, to build glycogen, and amino acids used to build muscle protein, while decreasing the breakdown of muscle protein during the post-exercise period. Also tightened fatigued muscles have restricted blood flow often with pools of lactic acid build up.

A. Post Workout Nutrition- ( I would try Nitrean from At Large) The goal of post-exercise nutrition is to replenish the glycogen stores and to encourage protein synthesis. Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of glucose, the molecule used to build glycogen. By ingesting carbohydrates, you rapidly replenish your glycogen stores. This is important because consistently low glycogen stores lead to a breakdown of muscle protein and a loss of muscle mass. Carbohydrates increase the body’s insulin concentration. Insulin is essential for glycogen and protein synthesis. Carbohydrates also promote the release of growth hormone, which promotes protein synthesis, which in turn leads to increased muscle mass. Finally, carbohydrates decrease cortisol concentration. Cortisol, also known as a “stress hormone,” is released in response to both physical and psychological stress. During a workout, cortisol levels are increased, causing muscle protein to break down. I would suggest a protein shake consisting of Whey protein and carbohydrates.

B. What about Pre Workout and during workout- H2O Overdrive without a doubt

C. Massage- Relaxes tight muscles to increase blood flow flushing the area of lactic acid and other contaminants

D. Active Release Technique

E. K-Laser

F. Chiropractic Care

G. Ice baths

H. Saunas

I. Proper Diet (anti-inflammatory foods)

J. Mobility Work and assessment driven stretching

K. Supplementation (BCAAs and Aminos)

TravisMash
11-17-2009, 08:17 PM
2 Board Bench Press Raw 535/1

Regular Bench Raw 430/1

Single Arm DB Millitary 75/8x3

Rows

Blackburns

Rear Dlets

TravisMash
11-17-2009, 08:18 PM
P. Cleans 285/1 x 4, 305/1, 330/1

I took the rest of the day off because I am simply feeling beat up. I was able to receive K-Laser specifically on the external rotators of the hip joint. It has really seemed to help a lot.

TravisMash
11-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Sunday was an exceptionally wonderful Sunday at my Church Centergrove Baptist Church. Our pastor spoke on Clarity as it pertains to one's life. The sermon was from the Book of John, and it referenced the life of John the Baptist. John had amazing clarity of purpose. His purpose on earth was to proclaim the coming of Christ. He wasn't a prophet, he wasn't the messiah, and he wasn't Elijah. He was just John, and he was proclaiming the coming of the one that as he put it, he wasn't fit to unbuckle the coming Christ's sandle. None of us are, but because God has grace, we all will have the opportunity to become like Christ.

Then the pastor showed a video of his brother-in-law who had just passed away from cancer a week ago. This video was amazing. Here was a guy who only had months to live making a video for his friends and family. There was so much peace and joy in this man's demeanor. I would have been scared to death, but this amazing man of God was professing to the world his love for God. He spoke on Clarity! Clarity of purpose for one's life. He had spent many years of his life worrying about how much money he was making, how many cars he had, and how nice of a country club that he was a member of. He referred to cancer as a blessing! He said that everyone should be so blessed as to have cancer because now his purpose was clear: witness for Christ, and love his family and friends. We all have the opportunity to witness for Christ. We also have the chance to be Christ like by helping others, by being kind, and by forgiving those who have wronged us. You don't have to be Billy Graham to bring Glory to God. You just have to let him work through you. Turn things over to Him!

One of my most precious clients is a very successful mortgage broker in Winston-Salem. Arguably the most successful! She visited our church this past Sunday, and she is coming back this Sunday. She told me that she had been searching for a higher purpose in life, something more important than money, success, or the house that one lives in. She tells me that she has now found it! Praise God is what I say! I then realized that I had also learned a lot Sunday. My purpose like everyone else is to tell others, and to show His love! God made it possible for me to talk to everyone of my clients on Monday, and for those that don't know I am a very busy strength and conditioning coach. I normally have anywhere from 10-15 clients per day. God has made it possible for me to have quite a big opportunity to proclaim His love. Funny thing was that it just kinda happened! I didn't cram anything down anyone's throat! I was just being nice to my clients, and things just kinda came up. I realized that night that nothing in the world brings my life more joy than witnessing for God! Nothing!

Now does that mean that I go person to person telling them about Jesus? No! Talk is cheap! Most people don't respond to a bunch of talk, but do something nice for someone like carry groceries, open the door, or simply listen to someone, and doors will open! People respond to Christ like behavior, not a bunch of hot air. God will make the timing right! Love your neighbor that is what we are commanded to do. It doesn't say to be rude to our neighbors or snobbish! People are taken back by Christ like behavior. They always have been and always will be! So to wrap this up, find Clarity in your life! Live for the higher purpose! Don't be self righteous but show Christ's love!

DEvans
11-20-2009, 06:39 AM
Great to see you making a comeback. I always enjoyed your log on EliteFTS enormously. Look forward to seeing you move some big weights again.

TravisMash
11-22-2009, 08:39 PM
I have decided to take this meet easy. I am going to squat in knee wraps only, bench raw and with single ply shirt, and deadlift with a single ply suit. I decided to do this last big workout, and then I am going to coast into the meet.

Squat knee wraps only- 700/1 easy

Bench single ply shirt- 475/1 easy

DL totally raw today because I haven't received my new DL suit from Titan 650/1 easy

I am looking to hit somewhere around 750 squat knee wraps only, 530 bench, and 725 deadlift. This should set me up for a great year in the USAPL if God is willing. I am really enjoying the limited equipment. I am not sure if I will ever go back to the multi-ply. I also can't wait to get back into the Olympic lifting. For the first time in a long time I am enjoying my sport. When you do this for God and not yourself, it is like you have all the fun without all of the stress. Remember just be obendient and the results are up to God!

TravisMash
11-22-2009, 08:41 PM
This was a great weekend of watching my athletes in action. Friday started weekend out by watching my athlete Brandon Goodson play basketball for Forsyth Country Day. Yah he was drilling three's, but it was a story that his father told me that was a true testimony to faith. A few weeks ago Brandon was flying to Florida with his father who is deathly afraid of flying. Brandon noticed his father's fear, and calmly stated, "Dad relax if we crash we'll be in heaven, so who cares!" Wow! Brandon is 16 years old!

Earlier that day I was having lunch with Bryan Miller an associate pastor at my church Centergrove Baptist Church. We were supposed to meet about an event that we are doing this week at the Rescue Mission, but he received a call from a member at our church about a young boy who is ten years old that was just diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer. I went with Bryan to the hospital, but the boy and his parents were off the floor getting tests done. Bryan and I decided to eat at the cafeteria, and we had a great conversation. Did I mention that Bryan is only 24 years old! 24 and his job is to use the promise of Jesus Christ to comfort a 10 year old child and his parents after being diagnosed with cancer. God gives people extraordinary gifts to spread His love and truth. At 24 years old I was only concerned with me! How much money could I make? How many records could I break? How many women could I date? I would trade all of that to have been in God's service at that age. Centergrove has answered my prayers for Christian friends, and for providing ways to serve God other than my daily walk and ministry. I have grown to love my Christian friends, and I praise God for delivering them to me. I still love my old friends, and I pray that God uses me to touch their heart with His truth.

One of the hardest things that I have ever experienced was when some of my friends and training partners found Jesus, and then they simply deserted me. They didn't want to be around me anymore. This really hurt me, and made it harder at the time to sell out to God because those guys looked like jerks in my eye. That isn't what God teaches! We are to love our neighbors. All of them! It is my job to be obedient, and to tell others about Jesus. How do I do that if I stop being their friend. My best friend Kevin Jones has been and will always be my best friend. We discuss the Lord more and more as time goes on. It's pretty awesome because we grew up together, and that was the last thing that we discussed growing up!

Anyway it was a weekend of listening to others: my friends, my in-laws, my wife, my athletes, and most important of all God. The funny thing is that it is God talking through all of these people. The next thing that I want to blog on is a great series by Charles Stanley on listening to God! It's awesome!

TravisMash
11-25-2009, 01:54 PM
11-23-09 was my last dynamic effort bench day

Bench 275/3x3, 3135/3x2, 335/3, 365/2
Incline DBs 100/10 x 3
Rows
Floor Presses Fat Bar 275/8 x 3
DB P.Cleans

11-24-09 Olymic and ME Lower
P. Snatch worked up to 260/1
Squats 550/3
DLs 605/3

I am just coasting into the meet at this point. We have about 5 lifters going to the meet in Columbia, so it should be a lot of fun. I have a 16 year old girl who should deadlift 350 raw in her first meet. I am just excited to hit the platform again.

TravisMash
11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
This has been an amazing week! For three years now I have prayed for God to use me for His Glory, and lately it has been unbelievable to watch Him work. This week alone has been nothing short of miraculous! I just wanted to share His good news with as many people as possible. I just want to say first how much peace one can have, when results are not up to you the man, but that is left to God. All man can do is be obedient, and the rest is up to God. It has been a freeing process to not walk around in a state of emotional discontent. I used to spend my life thinking about what great accomplishment or feat that I could perform next. It was all about me, and my happiness revolved around whether or not I could perform. I wanted everyone to know that I was “the man”. This has been a week of service for “the real Man” Jesus!

Last night I had the privilege to accompany Bryan Miller, one of the associate Pastor’s from my Church, to the Rescue Mission in Winston-Salem. Both of our wives came along with us for support, and to lend a hand with the rest of our church members who were helping out with the feeding and fellowship of the residents. The Rescue Mission as I understand it is a place for people who have nowhere else to go. They are given a place to sleep, shower, and eat, but in return they work, go to biblical counseling, participate in bible study, and go to church. It was nothing short of Awesome! Brian was to preach, and then I was to give my testimony. The whole sermon was about what true strength as a man really is. The point of course was to show that true strength comes only from Christ. The grace that we received from Christ’s death on the Cross is the only true strength that we as humans will ever need. After he did his sermon, I gave my testimony which I will share:

“The first half of my life was lived to excel in sports. I was privileged to play football at Appalachian State University, and then went straight to Colorado Springs to pursue my dream of the Olympics. That moved very quickly and within a year I was training at the Olympic Training Center. However that was cut short when my father was diagnosed with Lung Cancer. After moving home to North Carolina, I started my pursuit of powerlifting. I chased the goal of beating the long standing all-time world record in the 220 lb weight class. For three years I pursued the record with no regard for anyone or anything else. Finally in 2004 I broke the record and became the strongest pound for pound powerlifter of all-time. Now here is where the story gets a little crazy. Most people including myself would assume that I would have been the happiest man on earth, but that wasn’t the case. By the end of the weekend I was battling depression like I never thought existed. I had made powerlifting my god, but any god besides the real God will always let you down. What was I going to live you now? I had burned relationships, missed birthday parties, neglected loved ones, and for what? I was disgusted with myself! From the world’s eyes I had everything: money, career, women, championships, fans, etc, but inside I was empty. I started praying to God to take the pain away to save me from this horrible depression. He did, but it wasn’t easy! God has several ways of talking to us: the Word, the Holy Spirit, through others, and circumstances. He also has ways of getting our attention if we don’t listen one of those ways in through “brokenness”. Well I am here to say that He broke me! He stripped me of everything! I became injured, so no more powerlifting. Powerlifting had become my career, so no more career. No career meant no more money, my material possessions were taken from me. My father died around this time. My girlfriend left me! The fans stopped emailing! I was left with nothing!

In this state of being one either gives up and dies, or they find Jesus! I found Jesus! One night when all of my walls were crumbling down, I asked God to show me something or just let me go. The very next day a beautiful and wise girl that I had been getting to know and quickly falling for (now my wonderful wife Emily Drew), let me know that if we were to have a future, then I better know Christ. It was like she wasn’t even talking. It felt like God was talking directly to me, so that night I went home and sold out to Jesus. From there on it continued to be a journey, but what an amazing journey. First I moved to Chicago to work with Strength and Conditioning Company that went bankrupt. Then I moved to Colorado and was living with a friend, but making very little money. I was one step away from being on the street. Most people would assume that I would have been in a state of panic, but that wasn’t the case at all. All along my journeys I was growing closer to Jesus. I spent all of my free time alone with my Lord, or talking to Emily Drew. I had never experienced so much contentment in my life. Finally Emily Drew told me to move home, and after praying about it, I did just that. All I had was a not so secure job, and faith. I couldn’t afford an apartment for in reality I had very little money at all. A friend of mine let me crash at his home. My not so secure job was lost within weeks, but the Lord responded by sending me to Gray Chiropractic and Sports Associates, and from that moment on I have been blessed with abundance. Now I am going to compete again, but for the glory of God, not me. It’s like a chance to go back and do things the right way which is God’s way. I am so thankful for the blessings in my life. I now have the most amazing wife in the world, an endless clientele of all ages and backgrounds to minister to and make healthy all at the same time, In-Laws that are enriched with God’s Word to help me along in my spiritual journey, a relationship with my mother that grows stronger each week, a beautiful little daughter, Christian friends to worship with, and a best friend that God blessed me with over 23 years ago.”

I believe that God used my testimony to relate with these guys at the shelter, and to give them hope which lies only in Him. My physical strength meant nothing, but my love for the Lord makes me stronger than ever. The chance to fellowship with these guys was a blessing more for me than them. To see God working in their lives and at the Mission itself warmed my heart and strengthened my faith.

Now God has given me even more opportunities to serve Him. I was asked by our pastor to work with and spend time with a young member of our church. The boy doesn’t have a father in his life, and lives with his single mom. He has had a few issues with his classmates and teachers, and just needs a male in his life. What an opportunity! I get to share God’s Word with this young man, and hopefully God will show him that true strength comes from Him alone.

Then God sent a lady to me asking if I would come and do a talk with the youth at her church. I of course said yes! Yesterday in the middle of the gym, after having destroyed one of my clients, Lisa, physically, we along with a couple of other members sit around talking about God. It was a God Pow-Wow in the middle of the gym. Awesome! Simply awesome!

There have been times in my life where all of this might have brought me pride, but the older wiser me knows that I could never have this impact on anyone or anything. I mean the whole time that I was breaking world records before, I never impacted one person in a positive and true way! Not one! Only God can save these people! Only God can bring hope to the lost in the world! Travis Mash had his chance to affect people on his own, and did nothing but bring pain and frustration to most of the people close to him. Praise God for using me to work through, so that I might see firsthand His holy and divine Self!

notguilty31
11-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Amen

TravisMash
11-28-2009, 08:55 PM
I am really excited about my upcoming meet in Columbia! I am going to compete completely raw this time, just to get my feet wet! This weekend I am in Atlanta, GA, and I drug my wife, my sister-in-law, my nephew, and my father-in-law to North Georgia Barbell Club. It was awesome! There was Steve Goggins, Curtis Lesley, and Jon Groves all still hitting hard! It was like at instant rush of strength as soon as I walked in the place!

I feel like I used to feel, when I was a kid! I know now that the climb is a lot more fun than the peak!

Coke
11-29-2009, 04:56 AM
...I know now that the climb is a lot more fun than the peak!

no doubt man, it is more about the journey rather than the destination...good luck at that meet.

muscle_g
11-29-2009, 07:46 AM
I am really excited about my upcoming meet in Columbia! I am going to compete completely raw this time, just to get my feet wet! This weekend I am in Atlanta, GA, and I drug my wife, my sister-in-law, my nephew, and my father-in-law to North Georgia Barbell Club. It was awesome! There was Steve Goggins, Curtis Lesley, and Jon Groves all still hitting hard! It was like at instant rush of strength as soon as I walked in the place!

I feel like I used to feel, when I was a kid! I know now that the climb is a lot more fun than the peak!

I'll be there as well Travis. I'll be competeing in the equipped 220's. Can't wait to meet you!!

Just in case we don't see each other right off there, my name is George Rollins.

TravisMash
12-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Awesome! I can't wait to meet you!

TravisMash
12-01-2009, 12:38 PM
This past week/weekend was of course Thanksgiving weekend, and for me it was a time of reflection. I had the opportunity to vist my brother-in-law in Atlanta, GA. I rode down with my wife, my sister-in-law, and my in-laws. We had a fabulous time! On the way down we listened to a cd by Charles Stanley on listening to God. It was awesome, and it opened my eyes to how God speaks to us all the time. We just have to listen! My wife is an amazing artist, and she communicates her love for God through her art, but she can also write more eloquently than anyone I have ever met. She is going through a season of focus right now. She is in constant prayer about her plan, and as I would like to explain, she is a very private person, so I will be very broad in my discussion. Anyway we talked in our bed for hours on Saturday night, and I couldn't stop telling her all the gifts that I see in her. See God convicts specific people to get the attention of others sometimes. For me sometimes it's easier to understand my path because my gifts are minute in comparison to hers. Her images can actually grab a person's soul forcing them to listen and understand what they are seeing. Not a night goes by without me shaking my head in disbelief at the gift that God has given my with my wife. I give praise to my lord for giving an undeserving man like me an angel that he obviously took a little extra time in creating!

This weekend we have a big weekend! I am competing for the first time in three years, and she has an opening at Art Works, the best gallery in Winston-Salem. I just pray that God uses us to Glorify Him. I am not sure what to expect from either of us, but I am excited for a chance to compete for the right team. I don't know if I will ever be as good as before, but I know that no matter what I can't lose anymore! The joy that one receives from being obedient is undescribable! I just hope that anyone reading this would consider using their God given gifts for a trully worthy purpose!

john bernor
12-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Amen,,may HIS will be done in both of your lives,,,TO GOD BE ALL THE GLORY

TravisMash
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
Awesome to see great athletes like yourself loving God!

ScottYard
12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Good Luck at the meet. I think youll find a Raw meet to be breath of fresh air. I know I did, and I still do lol.

TravisMash
12-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Yah I am looking forward to it! The more I think about it, the more I believe that I will never do multi-ply again. I might do single, but that would probably be it. I am just not looking forward to putting all that gear on!

TravisMash
12-10-2009, 11:35 AM
This past weekend was a weekend of listening to God. The meet didn’t go as I would have liked, but a lot of great things happened. My numbers were 585 easy squat, 330 bench (because I had issues with my butt coming off the bench not really the weight), and my opener of 600 on deadlift. I missed 650 twice. I am ok with that as my first meet raw and drug free. My next competition will be the USAPL Battle of the Border in Charlotte, NC in March. I will be much more competition ready by then God willing! Now enough of my competing, and let’s talk the works of God that I got to see firsthand.

First one of my best friends Courtney Tate asks me about a book “Wild at Heart” a book about masculine male as it pertains to the scriptures. The simple discussion of God with any of my friends who have known me before and after Christ is nothing short of miraculous. Our discussions used to be about everything except God, and now we are both striving to know Christ more and more each day. Praise God! Through my writings a dialogue has also been opened between my best friend in the world Kevin Jones about God. These are gifts from God that I don’t deserve, but I give praise that He is working through us to bring the conversation around to Him.

I have also witnessed God turn the conversation to Him in my little family. The last several weeks has been wrapped around my wife and me using our gifts to serve God. Our dinners, our talks, and our love have been centered on Jesus, and our service for Him. Our talks with our friends and our family have been God focused, and for a brand new marriage I see this all as a gift from God that we are centered on Him early on. I pray that God keeps us focused on Him!

Coaching my athletes and seeing the joy on their faces from their individual successes was awesome. Also knowing that my heart with God and my actions were in harmony for them to witness was exciting. A lot of people will talk about Christ, but then ruin their witness by swearing or by one of their many actions. To witness God make this enormous change in my life rendered a sense of peace throughout my soul. Sometimes I look back at my competitions of the past, and I think about the opportunity that I had to witness. However, I didn’t give one piece of advice of any value, and I didn’t help anyone with anything of any importance. I have since made a peace with God for my actions as they were all prior to Jesus in my heart, but I never forget as to not make the same mistakes again. My main motivations for this comeback are that God be glorified. If I stop focusing on the main objective, and start focusing on me and my performance, then it is time to wrap the competing up forever.

This doesn’t mean that I am not going to give my best or train my hardest. This just means that my performance is secondary to God’s commission. The emails and the response to my writings on facebook, my blog, and Wannabebig.com is proof that God is working on others through my work. That is the objective! That is the goal! So my response to “how is the comeback going so far?” is: Just as my Lord God has planned! His will has been done, and will continue to be done! I thank God that he has seen fit to work through someone like me, and I will work even harder to bring God His glory, not mine!

TravisMash
12-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Today I was talking with my wife, and we were reminiscing about our relationship. For me our whole relationship has been a close walk with Christ. When I think about all the things that had to happen for us to be together, I receive a magnificent slap in the face with God’s sovereignty. Thanksgiving will be given by me for the rest of my life for God answering my prayer to bring my wife into my arms forever. We met in 2007, which to me was the hardest, lowest, and greatest blessing of my life. God had brought me to a place of brokenness. For most ‘brokenness’ is a crossroads in their life where their decision will change not just their lives, but their eternity. When everything that someone values is taken, all that is left is God. I met my wife in a period of brokenness. My dad had passed away, my business failed, my finances were drained, and my lifting career was non-existent due to a shoulder injury. During this same time I met this cute little blonde girl at the gym. At first she seemed like any other cute little blonde girl at the gym, but I was soon to find out just how wrong that I really was.

During this time of my life I was searching for something in my life that seemed to be missing something that would last, never leave me, and love me no matter what. Jesus had been there the whole time, but I ignored Him. I was my own god at least I thought. Let me tell you, I am a failure at being a god, Terrible! One day at the gym Emily Drew (now my wife) asked me a crazy question, “Do you believe in God?” I answered, “Yah but I don’t think that He likes me very much.” She rolled her eyes and clearly stated, “How silly!” Wow! Now here this little girl suddenly became the wisest woman that I had ever met turns out that she had loved Jesus for quite some time, and was wise way beyond her age. Our relationship grew into a special friendship, and my heart was slowly becoming hers. Then out of the blue she told me that for our relationship to ever grow outside of friendship, I had to know Christ. It was chilling how clearly that God was speaking through her. I went home that night, got down on my knees, and asked Jesus into my heart. Now I would like to say that from that moment all was suddenly fixed, but in reality it was the start of an amazing journey that will last the rest of my life.

Along the same time I was offered a job in Chicago as National Director for Division One Performance a national franchise for Athletic Performance Training. It was the job of my dreams at least I thought. However I didn’t want to take it, but Emily Drew told me that she believed that for us to work I had to leave. She was just graduating from Wake Forest University, and had a lot in her life to figure out also. I was scared, but I trusted God and took the job. I think about being a thousand miles away from my love a lot. If anyone had told me that they were in a long distant relationship that far apart, I would have laughed until I cried. I would have thought that they were being ridiculous trying to maintain a relationship that far apart, but I had an amazing calmness the whole time. I believe that God wanted that time for me to be alone with Him. I spent all my free time praying and diving into the Word of God. I was never lonely like one might think. People constantly wanted me to go out with them to parties and into the city, but I just wanted to talk to Emily Drew on the phone or spend time with God. This was an awesome time of learning and growing for me, but it didn’t turn out like I thought. It turned out like God wanted it! Things were not as financially stable as I thought, and the next thing that I knew I had no job. Around the same time I was offered a job in Colorado Springs, and I was on the road again. This time I had considerable doubts that our relationship would work.

Now I was ten hours further away, and I was so unstable. I kept thinking to myself, "why would she love me?" I was so far away, and to her it had to look like that I was some drifter. Colorado turned out to be a time of true fellowship with Jesus. I spent all my time in the Word, at Church, or at this awesome bible study with a great group of older men. They took me under their wings answering my questions and focusing their answers on God’s Word. They taught me that all answers are in the Word. I experienced more joy and peace than ever before, and the crazy thing was that I was broke. I was living with a friend in Colorado Springs and barely surviving, but I was totally content. I would call Emily Drew, and tell her all the things that I was learning. She was growing too! We started talking about Seminary, and other ways of serving the Lord. She has so many! Her art can simply pierce one’s very soul with the beauty of our God. When she talks, I just listen in wonderment as she speaks with the brilliance of the wisest scholars and theologians of our time. The only difference is that she is talking directly to me. I don’t have to read it.

As our love for each other and Jesus grew, we longed to be near each other. One day on the phone, she told me to come home. She said as only she can, “Just come home! Figure it out and come home to me!” So she flew out to Colorado, and made the 24 hour drive home with me. Both of us were scared and uncertain, but if we were to ever be together, we had to try. I came home with barely a job. I was back into personal training, but it didn’t pay much, and it was a 75 minute drive from our home in Winston-Salem. I didn’t even have a place to live, but God blessed me with a friend that took me in out of the kindness of his heart. Once again I would like to say that the job went well, and Emily Drew and I lived happily ever after, but God had other plans. My job was horrible! And Emily Drew and I broke up! Wow is right!

This was without a doubt a test. At first I failed terribly, but then God blessed me abundantly. I partnered up with Dr. Lawrence Gray, the best sport specific Chiropractor in Winston-Salem, and the rest is history. My training clientele flourished to the point that I am now the busiest trainer in Winston-Salem, and after I went through my final rebellious stage, Emily Drew and I became engaged. Now life will always be full of trials and tests, but the amount of peace and contentment that I experience is indescribable. God continues to bless us, and now our biggest concern is how we are to be used for the Glory of our Lord. Every day I am blessed to be able to minister to hundreds of my clients of all ages. I have athletes from ages 12 to 37, and average joe’s up to 75 years of age. I thank God for Him giving me these challenges in life to grow closer to Him, and now have an amazing testimony to share with the world. I pray that God will show others that in hard times God can light the way home. You just have to trust that His way is best!

TravisMash
12-19-2009, 07:42 PM
I finished my workout for my March 20th meet in Charlotte! I am very excited to improve my numbers! Hopefully I will be back into the swing of things for this one! I will start posting on Monday. I am really excited about my new approach.

TravisMash
12-28-2009, 03:02 PM
I am super excited about my new workout that I designed. I put a lot of thought into this one, and hopefully it will work. My next meet is the Battle of the Border (USAPL in Charlotte) March 20th.

Tuesday Dec 22nd

Bench 215/5, 250/5, 285/8

Millitary 140/5, 160/5, 175/5

Seated Rows

Tricep Ext

External Rotation

Thursday Dec 24th

Squats 345/5, 395/5, 445/6

DLs Sumo (opposite my pull) 375/3, 430/3, 485/5

SLDLs with Bands on a plate 225+purple/8 x 3

Lunges

Saturday Dec 26th

1 Board Raw Bench 440/1

Bench to chest 335/3 with pause, 275/10

Pushdowns

Pullups

Cable P. Cleans

Sunday Dec 27th

Cleans from Box worked up to 285/1

Snatch worked up to 205/1 from floor

Pushed and Pulled Prowler

Working off some of the Christmas food!

I am pumped this time. It means a little more at this one because I will qualify for USAPL Nationals. This will be a whole new and exciting world for me. I am jacked to meet some of their guys. I already know Wade Hooper and a few others. Definitely interested in how they will accept a former WPO guy. I love adventure!

TravisMash
12-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Well this past week I was listening to a series of CDs from a convention entitled "Catalyst", which is a Christian leadership conference. My friend and fellow christian Ted Budd (www.praytel.net/blog/) gave me the series of CDs from the most recent Catalyst seminar. There were a lot of great speakers and a few not so great, but a lady Priscilla Shirer blew me away! Let me tell you one thing, this lady is on point! The main point that she made was about leadership as defined by God. She used Joshua, Moses's number one man in charge as the example. He has his own book in the bible entitled of cours Joshua. Please read the book whenever you get the chance to hear it for yourself, but I will summarize.

1. Act immediately! When God told Joshua to take his people(the Jewish people)across the Jordan into "The Promised Land", Joshua didn't ask questions. He rounded everyone up, and set up camp at the Jordan in preparation of the crossing.

2. Act Fearlessly! As Christians we have a supernatural power in the form of the Holy Spirit inside us. If God tells us to do something, He will equip us with what we need. Act Fearlessly! The Jordan was at flood level, 50 times bigger than normal with rushing rapids. Joahua didn't blink! Would you?

3. Don't go unless God's presence is their! He told his people not to go until the Ark of the Covenant of the Lord was crossing. He explained that the Lord has already been there and knows where to go. Don't go unless God is there already! He's been there before!

4. Expect miracles! If God tells you to do something, then as Christians we have the right to expect that God will make sure that the job is done. Trust in the Lord and anything and everything is possible.

Now that is leadership! Use this model to lead your company, your team, your family or your church, and God will do the rest. I trust my Lord! Do you?

notguilty31
12-28-2009, 09:03 PM
Great Post I am inspired every time I read your posts keep up the great work remember weight is just weight he (GOD)is what we need to lift up

TravisMash
01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
12-28-09 Squats

Squats 365/3, 420/3, 470/5 still all raw

RDLs on a 100 lb plate with bands 275/8 x 3

Lunges

12-29-09 Bench work

Bench 235/3, 265/3, 300/7

Millitary 140/3, 160/3, 175/6

Floor Presses with a Fat Bar 275/6x3

Rows

External Rotation

12-31-09 Max Effort Work

Reverse Purple Squats 635/1

Reverse Band Deadlift 635/1

Glute Hams

Abs

Then I was off to see my daughter in Minnesotta! My wife and I flew out of Greensboro for a wonderful weekend. She was so cute! I miss her everyday. I can't wait for her to come this summer for a whole month. I plan on spending a wonderful summer of time together and talking about Jesus. The weather in Minnesotta was unbelievable try -24 Degrees and that is not windchill!

TravisMash
01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
My friend Courtney Tate gave me this book over Christmas with the promise that it would help explain why I am the way I am. I am going to blog about the book for the next few weeks as I take my journey figuring out the question that I have wondered for my whole life. Why have I been insanely competitive? Why have I desired adventure? Why am I so aggressive? Is there anything that God can use to Glorify Him? The book starts out as if I had written it!

He starts out by telling the story of Adam and Eve. He focuses on the fact that Adam was created outside of the garden in the Wilderness not in some office with fluorescent lights and some sissy boss talking about quotas. He talks about Colorado my favorite spot on earth. He talks about my favorite movie "Legends of the Fall". In the movie there are three brothers Alfred, Tristan, and Samuel. Alfred is a very successful businessman and politician, but never finds happiness and is always unfulfilled. Samuel is still a boy in many aspects and is unprepared for battle. He ends up dying quickly in the story. Tristan was wild at heart brother that tamed horses, fought bears, and was a fierce warrior. He was the most admired and most loved. This grabbed me right away and got my attention! I was like “Yes”! This is what I have been talking about. It’s in my nature! Now before you roll your eyes and think that I am an egotistical meat head, the story later explains God’s intention for the male.

Eldredge begins the book by explaining the three longings of all men’s heart: An Adventure to Live, A Battle to Fight, and A Beauty to Fight For. It all makes sense to me. Adventure has always made me feel alive. When I moved to Colorado Springs for the Olympic Training Center, I felt alive for the first time. I didn’t have much money, and I had no promise of making it in the program. My mom has since asked me if I was scared or worried, and I explained that I was absolutely more excited and ready to take on the world than any other time in my life. Competition has always been my battle, and my opportunity to prove my worth and dominance. The only beauty worth fighting for in my life is my amazing wife, and it was definitely a fight worth fighting. All three of these aspects are innately present in the hearts of all men, but only through Christ are they used properly. The examples that I gave from my own life are prior to Christ and were selfish except for the battle for my wife. It’s all about motive, and my motives were self absorbed. They did nothing to help me or anyone else, but they are my story and a reminder of what not to do. Next time I will talk about God’s intention for the heart of a man.

TravisMash
01-26-2010, 07:22 PM
I have been super busy with January and new clients, so I got a little behind with my posting workouts. Anyway I will try to have a complete update by the end of the week.

January 4th

Bench- 250/5, 275/3, 315/1+7

Millitary 145/5, 165/3, 185/1+3

Rows

Tricep Work

Pullovers

January 6th

Squats- 395/5, 445/3, 500/1+3

Sumo Deadlifts 405/2, 460/2, 515/2+3

RDLs of plate with Bands 315+Purple/8 x 3

Lunges

Check out my new videos on my facebook page when you get a chance!

TravisMash
02-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Lately God has really been working with me on trust, and I have learned a lot from the last few weeks. My wife is applying to grad school (seminary), I have made a huge shift with my business, and all the while praying for guidance on my ministry. We have prayed for months that God would provide wisdom for my wife to decide her future calling in the ministry, and for what route she should take. God has been more than generous his gift of clarity to Emily Drew with a Master's Degree that specifically helps artists use their creative gift to Glorify God. We have been very thankful for this enlightenment.

Now we are praying that God will make it financially possible. My business has grown a lot of late, and now I am at the point of needing another strength and conditioning coach, but that is easier said than done. I need someone who is: 1. Christian and willing to witness, 2. Knowledgeable, and 3. a trustworthy individual that people enjoy being around. Please pray for us in our search, and that God continues to move the business in that direction. God has been so good to Drew and I blessing us with abundace in our business and more importantly healing her from cancer. My wife is amazing! Anytime that I get stressed, she doesn't panic at all. She just says, "Babe are you prayed up on this?" Lately I have stayed in the Word much more than normal, and it is so true that clarity of life lies in the truth of the Word. I encourage everyone to simply seek the cousel of God for all issues.

When I talk about my ministry, I am talking about all the opportunities that I have with the people that I train. We all have opportunities for a ministry. We just have to be obedient to God, and share the Word. Remember the "Great Commission"! Matthew 28:16-20 I pray that God will open the doors for discussions of Jesus, and He does just that more and more. I still mess up a lot, and that is my prayer today to be a good witness to everyone of my clients mainly through my own actions, and then when God opens the door, through what I say. Our actions are so important. If we say one thing, and then turn around and say a cuss work, well we just ruined everything that we just said. They have to go hand in hand! Please have me in your prayers that God will continue His work on me, and that my actions will hold true my words.

Travis

TravisMash
02-01-2010, 02:03 PM
January 7th

Warm up Raw 365/1

2Board Max 1 Raw 455

Pushdowns

Pullups

Extensions

I have a group that trains with me on Friday nights now. A lot of fun! However it is not the best time for me, but I am finding that in this stage of my career, it's not all about me! I love having a team of excited guys and gals! A lot of them will be competing for the first time in March. I can't believe how the lifting bug is catching so many people! I love it!

TravisMash
02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
January 11th and 13th were Deload days, so nothing really to report home about.

January 15th ME Lower

Low Pin Squats Raw 545/1

Deadlift max 1 615/1 easy, but these Friday nights are really tough for me!

Hypers

Abs

Check it out! We have the most diverse group of lifters ever. We have guys and girls. We have mechanics, genesists ???sp, nurses, lawyers, Chemists, Irish dancers, and just regular meat heads. We have teens, juniors, open, novice, submasters, masters, and all the inbetween. I am so excited about Team MashElitePerformance! More than I ever was about my own lifting! I just pray that God uses me to be a witness for Him, and that He is brought all the Glory!

notguilty31
02-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Travis sounds like you are doing a great job up there keeping you in our prayers keep up the great works we lifted on sat Jan 30 and it was 29 degrees in texas thats cold

ryanj
02-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Travis, I used to read your logs over at Elite FTS and wondered where you'd went. I'm happy to see you back and stronger as a person. I'm confident that you can accomplish your goals and wish all the best to you and your family. Also, if you want cold, you should visit Northern Ontario in the middle of January.

God bless,

Ryan

TravisMash
03-23-2010, 12:27 PM
This past weekend was an incredible experience! I had the privilege of coaching about 10 lifters in what was most of their first powerlifting contest. I was all over the place spotting, giving their next attempts, and coaching, and a part of me was saying wow I am really doing a lot for these people. What I should have said is, “Wow I am getting a chance to serve people just like Jesus!” Truth is I had a blast! I love the people that I coach, and what a group. I had as young as 14, and as old as 53. I had young athletes and old athletes. I had throwers, football players, geneticists, Irish dancers, and everything in between. It was as much fun as when I competed myself, no more fun! It was like succeeding and failing with everyone’s attempts. It was a totally different experience caring more about the performance of others than me or something about me. Thank God!

God has called all true Christians to go out in the world and make disciples. Matthew 28 popularly known as the “Great Commission” in verses 16 thru 20 he tells all of His disciples to go out in the world and teach the nations all that He has commanded(I am paraphrasing). Now how do we do that? Some people go around talking about it and some go around being nice or doing “things” for others, but what is the answer? The answer is “Both”! You can’t tell everyone about how amazing God is and act like a jerk, and expect anyone to receive the message. That’s not God honoring! However you can’t go around feeding the poor, helping old ladies across the road, and giving money to people that are in need and not telling them the message of the bible, and expect God to be happy about that either. We can’t save anyone, and all the good “works” in the world can get us in heaven. God saves, and only the blood of Christ can get any of us one step closer to God. The reason that I say all of this is that giving of yourself to others is a Christ like thing, but it doesn’t make you Christ not even slightly. However it shows others the love of Christ, and it gives anything that you might share with someone a bit of legitimacy.

I am still friends with all the non-saved people that I was friends with before I found Christ. I love them! I want more than anything for them to come to know Christ. I ask them all questions about what turns them off the most about Christians, and the number one answer is always Hypocrisy. How many Christians do you know that go to church on Sunday and put on a huge front for the pastor and congregation, but on Monday the guy is fowl mouthed, mean to other people, and cussing someone out in traffic? This is not good for God! How does that person demonstrate any fruits of the spirit? Who would you be more willing to listen to: someone who helped you rake your yard or someone who dumped their leaves in it?

The other point that I am convicted the most about is that I have been given all these people to disciple, and I truly love them all. However I see some of them making mistakes in their lives and because I don’t want to hurt their feelings or make them mad I may or may not say anything. I am not saying that I am judging their salvation because I am not God. I just hear them talking about making decisions in their lives that are definitely not biblical, and I know that there will be repercussions. I am not saying that it will keep them out of heaven, but I know that it will not please God. The first thing that most people will say is “stop judging”, but it doesn’t have anything to do with judging their soul. I am not saying that I don’t make mistakes or sin. I do! We all do! I am talking about habitual mistakes that people make, and major decisions that will affect them the rest of their lives. It’s not about me condemning them. It’s about me making them aware because I love them, and I want the best for the people that God has given me to work with.

TravisMash
03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I have finally got my lifting going well enough to talk about. Here are a few of my latest in training lifts:

Squat Raw 635

Bench Raw 405

Deadlift Raw 635

P. Clean 315

My goal is to do a single ply or raw, and I am going to do an Olympic meet in May! I am thankful that I am getting my lifts back up to par. I can't wait to get back on the platform.

TravisMash
04-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I am training for two contests right now:

1. May 30th is the NC State Olympic Weightlifting Competition at the Outer Banks

2. USPF National Powerlifting Championships in Providence, RI

I am very excited that God is giving me an opportunity to continue competing especially Olympic Weightlifting. This type of training requires a great deal of speed, explosion, and mobility, so to be competing at 37 years old is a blessing in itself. I have been able to increase my lifts to the point that they are resembling my lifts of the past, and I hope that my May 30th that they will exceed. I hope to Snatch 300+ and Clean & Jerk 400+, but it's whatever God allows.

Training for both is definitely complicated, but it's perfect for me. I get bored easily, so the different lifts keep me in tune. Below is a sample week:

Tuesday

Clean & Jerk work

Overhead Squats and Push Press

Squats

Dls

GHRs

Thursday

Snatch or Clean ME Work

Bench 5-3-1

Lockout work

Triceps

Pullups

Thoracic Spine and Shoulder Work

Friday

Snatch Work

Overhead Squat Work

Snatch Pulls

Front Squats

RDLs

Saturday

Snatch & Clean & Jerk

Plyometrics

Stability and Core

Mobility

I hope to continue progressing to the point that I start adding some sprinting, and then maybe Bobsled, who knows. I have been slacking on getting treatment with Dr. Gray, so that will start back on Friday.

For some random thoughts, God has blessed me with several young and old athletes that I train. I believe this to be my ministry, and I am trully thankful to God for this opportunity. Everyday I smile at my job! I have brilliant kids that aspire to be Nobel Peace Prize Winners, Major League Baseball players, college volleyball players, and NFL football players. I have adults with just as big of dreams, but more importantly I get to do life with them. What I mean by that is I get to hear when they succeed, but more importantly when things aren't going so well. That's the time when God can really use me. I can comfort them, encourage them, and more importantly share God's promise with them. Blessed! That's what I am!

TravisMash
04-29-2010, 11:08 AM
So far things are going awesome!

Tuesday April 27th:

Clean & Press 160 Kilos 352 lbs

Squats 500/7 easy raw

Deadlifts 635/2 easy raw

I am excited about my progress in Olympic lifting. I am starting work back with Dr. Gray on Friday. I have to have him to continue this quest. Thank God for giving me the desire and the ability!