PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Question

snikez
10-08-2009, 05:39 PM
I've been cutting for about 5 weeks now and have mostly been losing a pound a week but occasionally my weight stays the same. For my cut I've been dropping 60 calories a week and have been monitoring my calories the best I can (checking labels etc) even though dinner is usually an estimate.

I want to get this cut over with as fast as possible while keeping as much muscle as possible. So I don't want to have weeks where my weight doesn't change whatsoever, or weeks where I lose more than a pound.

My question for you all is: what calorie restriction (every day for a week) have you had success with during a cut. Meaning what restriction has allowed you to lose about a pound a week, no more, no less? Preferably an amount that you restrict every day for a week, even after losing a pound the previous week.

Thanks guys!:hello:

Edit: BTW during a cut would you rather lose 2 pounds in one week, or have no weight change the first week and then lose a pound the next week?

Clifford Gillmore
10-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Your lowering your calories by 60 a week? Not enough.

The average daily acceptable deficiet is at least 10% for a slow as hell cut, and something more agressive can be over 50%. So it you take in 3000 cals per day, start by dropping it down to 2700.

Its going to vary from situation to situation, person to person. So drop down 10%, if you lose too much, increase - if you don't lose, decrease.

tom183
10-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I've been cutting for about 5 weeks now and have mostly been losing a pound a week but occasionally my weight stays the same. For my cut I've been dropping 60 calories a week and have been monitoring my calories the best I can (checking labels etc) even though dinner is usually an estimate.

Theres just no way that this is possible. Being so precise as to know you're dropping 60 calories per week is impossible when you're estimating meals.

In any case, as Risk10k said, 60 calories per week is not nearly enough.

snikez
10-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Your lowering your calories by 60 a week? Not enough.

The average daily acceptable deficiet is at least 10% for a slow as hell cut, and something more agressive can be over 50%. So it you take in 3000 cals per day, start by dropping it down to 2700.

Its going to vary from situation to situation, person to person. So drop down 10%, if you lose too much, increase - if you don't lose, decrease.

Well I think my maintenance was around 2,700-2,800 calories. And right now I'm at around 2,300 or so... dropping that amount by 60 every week. Wouldn't making a 10% deficit of 230 calories per day be way too much?? Please don't leave me hanging here cause I'd really like to get this sorted out.

snikez
10-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Theres just no way that this is possible. Being so precise as to know you're dropping 60 calories per week is impossible when you're estimating meals.

In any case, as Risk10k said, 60 calories per week is not nearly enough.

What amount would you recommend then, 100? I just feel like if it's working right now, I should keep doing the same thing, you know?

Unreal
10-10-2009, 07:03 AM
500 or so.

radioheadhead
10-10-2009, 07:28 AM
500 or so.

this.

lots of people need about a 3500 kcal deficit per week to lose a pound per week.

Clifford Gillmore
10-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Well I think my maintenance was around 2,700-2,800 calories. And right now I'm at around 2,300 or so... dropping that amount by 60 every week. Wouldn't making a 10% deficit of 230 calories per day be way too much?? Please don't leave me hanging here cause I'd really like to get this sorted out.

The general goal with a caloric deficiet is to lower yours cals by around 20%, 500cals or whatever in one go - rather than lowering it week by week.

a) Your metabolisim is still high from being on 2700+, if you take away 500 to 2300 (I.e.) your using your effective high metabolisim to use fat for energy.

b) Your body wants to hold onto those fat stores, your letting it know that its going to have smaller amounts of food - so it combats this with lowering your metabolisim, holding onto more of what you eat.

Once you stall out on 500cal deficeit you can add in more cardio (Such as Unholy, who is doing LISS as well as HISS) OR reduce your calories even further, by 200-300.

Hope this makes sense.