PDA

View Full Version : Increasing ARCH in the bench

thewicked
10-08-2009, 10:20 PM
How does one add flexibility? Due to leg positioning.. it all comes down to lower back flexion and abdominal extension and I'm thinking about getting creative. I'm open to some big bencher ideas.. My heels have to be flat..but when they are my butt comes up to stay tight. Most feds critique on the butt? How would one fix this without flat-backing?

Bako Lifter
10-08-2009, 11:46 PM
The more flexible your hips are the easier it is to spread your legs really wide, which helps prevent your butt from coming off the bench. Roll up a towel and put it under your lower back to get used to the feeling of arching. Then progress your arch until you don't need a towel anymore.

WVBob
10-09-2009, 07:19 AM
I had a friend show me how to take a piece of 4" diameter PVC pipe cut to the width of your bench and lay across that. I have been doing this and it helps some. But for me, I'm 49 and my flexibility is somewhat limited. 4" is a good place to start, then you can increase in pipe diamete as your flexibility increases.

allan3
10-09-2009, 06:44 PM
PVC pipe is what i was told also- havent done it yet tho---

mastermonster
10-09-2009, 09:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsNrtr6fzcc

I hope this works to the link. If not just go to Youtube and put Buddy McKee in the search.

I use a full size football to pre-stretch over and increase my arch; which ain't too bad at 54 and arthritis in my lower back. The video above is an example of my stretch and 1st few sets of a bench workout. If you have to keep the heels down, use wood blocks (platforms with a sandpaper top). In other words; raise the floor to your heels.

allan3
10-09-2009, 09:46 PM

I hope this works to the link. If not just go to Youtube and put Buddy McKee in the search.

I use a full size football to pre-stretch over and increase my arch; which ain't too bad at 54 and arthritis in my lower back. The video above is an example of my stretch and 1st few sets of a bench workout. If you have to keep the heels down, use wood blocks (platforms with a sandpaper top). In other words; raise the floor to your heels.

damn fine video!! my range of motion is about 2 feet.

mastermonster
10-09-2009, 10:21 PM
damn fine video!! my range of motion is about 2 feet.

Thanks! When I came back in 2001 mine was about 15 inches. Over time I tweaked this and that with an inch or two here and there and finally had it reduced by 10 or 11 inches. Getting the shoulder blades locked together and on the bench took the most away I think.

thewicked
10-09-2009, 10:29 PM
man that is exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks so much buddy. It just takes time to get that flexible and a solid warmup? My god the amount of weight I could move if I didn't have to flat back in a contest would be scary!

mastermonster
10-10-2009, 05:53 PM
man that is exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks so much buddy. It just takes time to get that flexible and a solid warmup? My god the amount of weight I could move if I didn't have to flat back in a contest would be scary!

You're welcome! Time, and patience. Don't rush the process. You can do things like widen your grip if it's not already at max width. But take several weeks getting there so that the muscles and connective tissue have time to strengthen and adapt to the different stress angles. Also gradually work with squeezing your shoulder blades tighter and tighter together until you have them supported on the bench while you press (while working the upper back hard to keep that position). Work then, on keeping the blades together and thereby your shoulder back all the way through the push to lockout. All that has to lock out is your elbows. You do not have to shove your shoulders forward at lockout as you see so many do. This adds as much as 4-6 inches I think to your stroke, depending on how wide your shoulders are. And you are right. I can push a lot more for 4-6 inches than I could when I was pushing it 15.

One last thing. Don't worry if you need to start re-learning this with a little less weight. When you have 'got it', it will be back and much more.

abbcccxyyzzz
03-25-2010, 04:27 AM

All he has to do now is get his bench stroke to 0 inches, and he be set for some big numbers! haha

Amazing arch. I think the only arch I seen come close to that is EricsApimp ~Eric Lilliebridge.

mastermonster
03-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Thanks Eric! Coming from you that is a great compliment!