PDA

View Full Version : Washing a bench shirt

jmccown
10-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Are there any guidelines I should follow to wash a bench shirt. I know it's a silly question but I've not been using a shirt long enough to have to wash one but my current one will need it soon. I don't want to wash it wrong only to shrink it too much or weaken it.

Pete22
10-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Titan makes a Power Wash that claims to actually strengthen the fabric. I've never actually washed my gear, just Febreeze it and hang it to dry.

http://www.titansupport.com/products/titan-power-wash.html

Travis Bell
10-09-2009, 04:22 PM
I just spray mine with Febreeze, throw it in a cold/cold cycle and air dry it.

do not throw it in the dryer, whatever you do

Ryano
10-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Titan Powerwash works great. I don't know if it actually strengthens the material, but it sure makes it smell better. Just follow the directions on the bottle. Only takes 3 minutes to wash.

jmccown
10-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Good idea. I'll pick up some febreeze.

blownby
10-10-2009, 09:21 AM
titan powerwash or woolite.......
DO NOT dry...Air dry only

SELK
10-10-2009, 03:37 PM
I just wash it in the washer then let it air dry in the shower, never had any problems.

Clifford Gillmore
10-10-2009, 03:45 PM
I've got a loose used Viking V-type, would chucking it in the dryer tighten it up a bit?

SELK
10-10-2009, 03:58 PM
boil it on the stove in a big pot if you want it to really tighten up.. It will shorted the lifespan of shirt a bit though.

mastermonster
10-10-2009, 08:52 PM
The Titan Powerwash is very good because it won't hurt and claims to actually strengthen poly material. The big advantage is that it will breakup and remove the body salts of sweat which will eventually start to break down the material. So, it will lengthen the life of a poly shirt or suit. It cost around 8 dollars and a bottle last a long time.

drbill
10-13-2009, 08:14 AM
I use an Inzer Rage X...I wash it with my clothes every week after use...hang dry....never had a problem....

packers0415
10-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Titan powerwash works good - don't think it strengthens the shirt though

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-15-2009, 08:11 AM
I wash my Inzer Rage X on low cycle in the washing machine and always hang dry.

allan3
10-16-2009, 11:41 PM
my cat decided to urinate on my F6, so i washed it in the bathtub a couple of times, and the damed thing still smells like piss, do you think that powerwash will remove the piss smell? it is driving me NUTS.

blownby
10-17-2009, 08:53 AM
It might, but probably not strong enuf. But the wash is definitly worth the $$$ to try it

JK1
10-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I've got an Inzer denim shirt that somehow got moldy (I'm seriously pissed about this, I've never used this shirt, I got it from another lifter as a gift--my first multiply shirt too--- The only thing I can think of is the humidity was so ridiculously high this summer, something green and fuzzy took advantage of it). I know denims tend to be sensitive with washing them. Anyone done it before with one of those? I need to wash it with something that kills the mold but doesn't screw up the shirt. I've tried lysol. It needs more than just getting sprayed with lysol.

JK1
10-18-2009, 12:06 PM
my cat decided to urinate on my F6, so i washed it in the bathtub a couple of times, and the damed thing still smells like piss, do you think that powerwash will remove the piss smell? it is driving me NUTS.

There was a study presented in 2006 at the veterinary behaviorlist conference looking at what actually works to remove cat urine odor from carpets in houses with cats with urine spraying problems. Febreeze is your best bet for removing cat urine odor after you've cleaned the pee'd on item. I'll tell you from work, it even works on Jaguar urine odor. Since you've washed the shirt, what you have to do is spray the shirt down, then hang it outside where there is a good breeze, let it air dry and spry it down again. Keep repeating until the smell is neutralized. it may take a few times depending on the amount of urine in the shirt. Remember to spray both inside and outside of the shirt, especially if you are doing this with a shirt with multiple layers.

Ryano
10-18-2009, 10:51 PM

Night-night kitty. Hammer it. Get some powerwash.

tnathletics2b
10-19-2009, 05:53 AM
I'll tell you from work, it even works on Jaguar urine odor.

Where in the world do you work? Jaguars? What?

44pirate
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
I've got an Inzer denim shirt that somehow got moldy (I'm seriously pissed about this, I've never used this shirt, I got it from another lifter as a gift--my first multiply shirt too--- The only thing I can think of is the humidity was so ridiculously high this summer, something green and fuzzy took advantage of it). I know denims tend to be sensitive with washing them. Anyone done it before with one of those? I need to wash it with something that kills the mold but doesn't screw up the shirt. I've tried lysol. It needs more than just getting sprayed with lysol.

Try a dry cleaner.

Travis Bell
10-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Dry cleaner might work, otherwise you're screwed. You don't want to wash a denim.

This is why you don't want to leave shirts bunched up in a bag. Mine get crazy sweaty during the summer so I febreeze them and hang them in the basement where the dehumidifier is at.

JK1
10-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Where in the world do you work? Jaguars? What?

Sorry, most of the people who know me in powerlifting know where I work. I forget when I post sometimes... I'm a zoo veterinarian.

JK1
10-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Dry cleaner might work, otherwise you're screwed. You don't want to wash a denim.

This is why you don't want to leave shirts bunched up in a bag. Mine get crazy sweaty during the summer so I febreeze them and hang them in the basement where the dehumidifier is at.

Crap... This shirt wasn't waadded up. It was hanging up or draped over my super gripper in the gym most of the summer. I can't figure out how it got wet enough to get moldy... I've never worn it. Then again, I had two belts and some leather horse stuff in the same room mold this summer. This seriously pisses me off.

Travis Bell
10-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Crap... This shirt wasn't waadded up. It was hanging up or draped over my super gripper in the gym most of the summer. I can't figure out how it got wet enough to get moldy... I've never worn it. Then again, I had two belts and some leather horse stuff in the same room mold this summer. This seriously pisses me off.

By screwed I mean it'll just stink.

It won't ruin the shirt I wouldn't think.

JK1
10-19-2009, 09:27 PM
By screwed I mean it'll just stink.

It won't ruin the shirt I wouldn't think.

It is bad enough it irritates my mold allergies. i'm thinking i'm going to wash it in the antifungal shampoo from the hospital.in cold water. I have no clue what that'll do, but its gotta do something.

Travis Bell
10-19-2009, 09:31 PM
it'll loosen up the seams on the shirt. I'd sell it to someone who doesn't mind that it's had mold on it

Washing a denim is always a bad idea.