PDA

View Full Version : pulling wo a belt

bald bull
10-09-2009, 03:42 PM
do u guys think pulling wo a belt for a couple months leading up to a meet and then throwing one on a couple weeks bf competiton will help my pull?

Sean S
10-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I think it could help. Just make sure you take enough pulls in the belt in training so it doesn't throw you off.

MarcusWild
10-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I do most of my deadlift training without a belt. I feel it helps develop lower back strength at a faster rate. You just have to watch overtraining.

bald bull
10-09-2009, 07:06 PM
Do u guys see a carryover when belted up?'

I do most of my deadlift training without a belt. I feel it helps develop lower back strength at a faster rate. You just have to watch overtraining.

Brian Hopper
10-11-2009, 08:19 AM
One of the guys I train with feels better pulling without a belt. I have seen him try a max effort rack pull and chain suspended GM with a belt on and miss it, then would take his belt off and get it. He does most of his pulling with a bench belt and so do I.

Pete22
10-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Do u guys see a carryover when belted up?'

I pull the same with or w/o a belt, but I just feel safer pulling with one. I don't like it too tight or I have trouble breathing and getting setup.

MarcusWild
10-11-2009, 03:55 PM
If I get stronger without the belt, then I lift more with the belt. I just feel like I get stronger faster without wearing one.

theBarzeen
10-11-2009, 05:00 PM
just make sure you give yourself enough time to readjust before a meet..... before worlds this year I was consistently pulling 605 with just a belt in the gym, I added the suit two weeks out and hit an easy 620, then added light briefs on meet day and it threw my whole pull off and I ended up with just 601....... I should have listened to the guys telling me to practice in my gear more......

robchris
10-11-2009, 07:49 PM
BB,
If you're a raw puller then it really dosent matter as much, just do what feels right for you.

When I'm pulling in a suit, I only belt up on my heaviest sets... Pulling w/o a belt definitely build's the core just ensure your form is good!

RC

bald bull
10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
ya i figure the last 4 weeks i will do a raw pull max and then belt up the following week and max then work up to a opener w the belt then deload early in the week and rest.

bald bull
10-11-2009, 08:11 PM
Thats cool i am looking to see if it had a carry over when belted up though. I mean i pulled 565 raw on Fri wo a belt and i can pull over 600 with a belt so i am assuming it will help.

BB,
If you're a raw puller then it really dosent matter as much, just do what feels right for you.

When I'm pulling in a suit, I only belt up on my heaviest sets... Pulling w/o a belt definitely build's the core just ensure your form is good!

RC

andy bolton
10-16-2009, 02:54 AM
do u guys think pulling wo a belt for a couple months leading up to a meet and then throwing one on a couple weeks bf competiton will help my pull?

in 20yrs i have used a belt on all sets from around 400lbs up just think it saves your back,and lets you lift heavier for longerunless your a one off like kk

Ron C
10-16-2009, 08:15 AM
in 20yrs i have used a belt on all sets from around 400lbs up just think it saves your back,and lets you lift heavier for longerunless your a one off like kk

I think I'll do what he said. He can pull pretty good:)

Brian Hopper
10-16-2009, 08:55 AM
My training partner that I talked about in this post earlier pulled 715 and 775 without a belt. He has a pair of single ply brief and suit combo, and had a hard time with a belt. Took the belt off and his briefs and just left the suit. He made a couple attempts with the belt and just didn't feel comfortable. He set a PR gym lift with no belt.

rbtrout
10-16-2009, 09:30 AM
I pull w/o a belt, it's more comfortable for me. I've tried several times with a belt and just don't care for it.

Ryan Bracewell
10-30-2009, 05:25 PM

I think I'll do what he said. He can pull pretty good:)

haha, I agree with you Ron.

I was actually talking to Travis Ortmayer about this around the time this thread started. The conclusion of our discussion was that beltless may help with muscular strength in the back but not necessarily improve your deadlift, while using your belt will allow you to pull more weight(for most) which will stimulate the CNS more. In the end we decided that the CNS/motor unit stimulation was more important than the back strength....especially sense you can strengthen your back muscles separately using accessory lifts. In addition, there are far more 800+ deadlifters that use their belt for all heavy DL's than guys who regularly go beltless (kk, kevin Nee, Misha, and Marshall White are the only i can recall)

SEOINAGE
10-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Heaviest lifts with a belt, warm ups without, accessory without and you get the best of both worlds. Seams like people could have success either way but I really like having a belt and I feel like I can work myself much harder and heavier. I do regular deadlifts and squat rep work occasionally to compensate and sometimes do early set ME exercise work without it.

mastermonster
11-01-2009, 12:08 PM
If the wide belt front bothers you, try a tapered front (bodybuilder's type) belt. Beau Moore had been pulling beltless for that reason. At Raw Unity 2 years ago he noticed me warming up in the 10mm tapered belt and asked if he could try it. I let him use it for his lifts and he loved it. You can get your air a lot better and get down to the bar better. Then you still have great back support and something to push the abdomin against. The 10 mm is also stiff enough to support, but not so stiff it bites into you so much when you reach for the bar.

thewicked
11-01-2009, 12:40 PM
If the wide belt front bothers you, try a tapered front (bodybuilder's type) belt. Beau Moore had been pulling beltless for that reason. At Raw Unity 2 years ago he noticed me warming up in the 10mm tapered belt and asked if he could try it. I let him use it for his lifts and he loved it. You can get your air a lot better and get down to the bar better. Then you still have great back support and something to push the abdomin against. The 10 mm is also stiff enough to support, but not so stiff it bites into you so much when you reach for the bar.

that's exactly what I was going to say..

if you're not comfortable with a traditional powerlifting belt go with a bodybuilder's tapered belt. Great back support without the compression in the front.

Beefcaker
11-03-2009, 12:25 AM
I work up and put the belt on when I need it. If I pull a heavy weight without the belt, I very much run the risk of having sciatica problems for the next week. I KNOW for SURE that deadlifting with a belt is safer FOR ME, but I believe that if I didn't have a bad back that I would only put the belt on for the 85% and above range. Right now I use the belt around 65-70% and above. I'm slowly working toward less and less belt, but that is for training purposes. I will always compete in a belt. Max weights deserve max safety precautions if you want to keep in the game...

ironchef
11-03-2009, 09:34 PM
I have always believed that the stronger you are with out the gear the strong you will be once you put it on. So I dl with out a belt for most of my sets and only use it on my 90% plus attempts. But when a meet comes closer I add all the gear because it does take some gettin use to wearing the suit and the belt and it does change the lift.

robchris
11-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I have always believed that the stronger you are with out the gear the strong you will be once you put it on. So I dl with out a belt for most of my sets and only use it on my 90% plus attempts. But when a meet comes closer I add all the gear because it does take some gettin use to wearing the suit and the belt and it does change the lift.

Agreed... The closer I get to comp. the heavier the wt. & the more I use the belt + suit.