PDA

View Full Version : Me at 185? 180?

McLaughlin
10-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Hi everyone, not sure my exact weight, but this is me. Been wanting to cut the gut, but not sure if I should say screw it and just start bulking. Haven't been in the gym in a few months, but will be getting a membership within the next 7 to 10 days. (Just moved to TX, kind of waiting for wife to get a job.
~~
Front Relaxed
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/wgmclaughlin/IMG_0408.jpg
Back Relaxed
http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/wgmclaughlin/IMG_0415.jpg
And others:
Right side: http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/wgmclaughlin/IMG_0410.jpg
Left side: http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/wgmclaughlin/IMG_0411.jpg
Front Flex 1: http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/wgmclaughlin/IMG_0419.jpg
Front Flex 2: http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/wgmclaughlin/IMG_0420.jpg
Angled front/side: http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/wgmclaughlin/IMG_0404.jpg
Bicep Flexed: http://i580.photobucket.com/albums/ss242/wgmclaughlin/IMG_0403.jpg
~~
I can get better pictures, I just wasn't 100% sure how to stand, and the wife is napping so couldn't have her take them. Anyways looking for comments, feedback, and suggestions.
~~

McLaughlin
10-10-2009, 07:20 PM
Found an old picture of me before I ever found this site.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i15/MisanthropicDream/Before/LeftArm1.jpg

Notice the lack of a gut.

Any thoughts at all?

Meat_Head
10-10-2009, 07:25 PM
No offense man, but I'd say you need to get back in the gym and start busting your ass. I don't see much in the way of results from the before pic and after, just start adding serious weight to your squats, deads, benches, and overhead presses, then you'll see some real progress.

McLaughlin
10-10-2009, 08:19 PM
No offense man, but I'd say you need to get back in the gym and start busting your ass. I don't see much in the way of results from the before pic and after, just start adding serious weight to your squats, deads, benches, and overhead presses, then you'll see some real progress.

So I shouldn't worry about trying to cut to lose the gut? Just lift heavy and eat like I mean it?

Meat_Head
10-10-2009, 08:29 PM
So I shouldn't worry about trying to cut to lose the gut? Just lift heavy and eat like I mean it?

You have some good short term goals, I think you should try to slowly gain weight, 10 or 20lbs, until you meet those goals. You need to add some quality muscle mass before you cut. Then again, if your goal is just to lean down, just lift heavy and clean up the diet. I'd say you should go on a clean bulk, personally.

McLaughlin
10-10-2009, 08:39 PM
You have some good short term goals, I think you should try to slowly gain weight, 10 or 20lbs, until you meet those goals. You need to add some quality muscle mass before you cut. Then again, if your goal is just to lean down, just lift heavy and clean up the diet. I'd say you should go on a clean bulk, personally.

Ok cool. I can clean bulk. I think so anyway. I'll try bumping up my gym membership too.

Thanks for the input, that's exactly the kind of advice I wanted, analysis & reasoning, not just "you should cut" or "you should bulk".

Meat_Head
10-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Glad to help, and glad you didn't take it the wrong way like a lot of guys. Good luck with your goals, stay consistent and you'll see the results you want to see.

McLaughlin
10-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Glad to help, and glad you didn't take it the wrong way like a lot of guys. Good luck with your goals, stay consistent and you'll see the results you want to see.

Yeah some guys get bent out of shape about what people say to them, I just want to get better, and the only way to do that is to ask, and then to follow suggestion/instruction.

Also glad to hear my short term goals aren't too un-realistic. I didn't want to set them too high and then just get disappointed right away.

Do you think I should get a supplement like Maximus or Nitrean or anything like that to help hit protein goals?

LuNa
10-10-2009, 09:52 PM
I definitely would go with Nitrean. I read in your cutting topic and journal that protein was fairly low. This way you can up it a bit.

I agree with MeatHead, a clean bulk would be great. It depends however on how you feel at the moment. Do you feel like you wouldnt mind putting on weight or is your gut as big as you want it to be. It is likely that when you start bulking you will put a bit more on, especially in the stomach area. If that is ok, then a clean bulk would be a good idea. What is your height again?

McLaughlin
10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
I definitely would go with Nitrean. I read in your cutting topic and journal that protein was fairly low. This way you can up it a bit.

I agree with MeatHead, a clean bulk would be great. It depends however on how you feel at the moment. Do you feel like you wouldnt mind putting on weight or is your gut as big as you want it to be. It is likely that when you start bulking you will put a bit more on, especially in the stomach area. If that is ok, then a clean bulk would be a good idea. What is your height again?

I don't mind putting on more. I'm 5'7.

Originally I wanted to bulk to 215-225 range.

natediesel
10-11-2009, 04:22 AM
Sexy! The iphone that is. :) jk I don't look much better.

Protein is your friend! And chicken! What is it, 1g for each lb of body weight?

Lift heavy. Rawr. I'm not strong but have been getting my strength back with a 5x5 program.

I made great progress with BGB 5x5 few years ago and now making decent progress with Starr 5x5.

Twirl
10-12-2009, 10:48 AM

yep:clap:

jAy_Dub
10-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Ok cool. I can clean bulk. I think so anyway. I'll try bumping up my gym membership too.

Thanks for the input, that's exactly the kind of advice I wanted, analysis & reasoning, not just "you should cut" or "you should bulk".

My analysis and reasoning is this, you've argued with me before in the diet and nutrition section about eating dirty vs. eating clean, and you seemed so sure that eating dirty was the way to go. Well, no offense, but you've gained a lot of fat and minimal muscle. I would highly recommend you clean things up, low fat, moderate carbs, high protein, and hit the cardio multiple times a week.

I'm not trying to be a dick and bring up old ****, but it just seems that you are one of many around here that fall into the trap of eating dirty and advising others to eat dirty and then come up later confused on what to do. Hell, I've been stuck in that trap before, check out my old pics, but thank God I'm past that now. You'll eventually figure out what works for you, it takes time, but for now like I said, clean up diet, increase the intensity in the gym, and hit the cardio like you mean it. Good luck.

McLaughlin
10-12-2009, 02:30 PM
My analysis and reasoning is this, you've argued with me before in the diet and nutrition section about eating dirty vs. eating clean, and you seemed so sure that eating dirty was the way to go. Well, no offense, but you've gained a lot of fat and minimal muscle. I would highly recommend you clean things up, low fat, moderate carbs, high protein, and hit the cardio multiple times a week.

I'm not trying to be a dick and bring up old ****, but it just seems that you are one of many around here that fall into the trap of eating dirty and advising others to eat dirty and then come up later confused on what to do. Hell, I've been stuck in that trap before, check out my old pics, but thank God I'm past that now. You'll eventually figure out what works for you, it takes time, but for now like I said, clean up diet, increase the intensity in the gym, and hit the cardio like you mean it. Good luck.

Thanks for the post & the advice and I can see what you mean.

I got caught up before with the idea of dirty bulking, and it worked well for me for the 3-4 months I actually lifted consistently. My biggest problem was that I kept eating, and stopped lifting.

At this point, almost 1.5 years later I'm not advocating dirty bulking anymore, but I'm also not against a cheat meal here and there, for me it's usually Friday night to go out for a meal.

I've got my diet pretty well in check now hitting between 2300 and 2500 per day, still working on getting my carbs down though, seems that everything I love is full of carbs (fruit, yogurt, bread).

Once I start working out (looking at next monday (19th) for starting date) I'll be able to increase the intake on workout days, and maintaining the 2300-2500 for off days since I don't move around too much.

Meat_Head
10-12-2009, 05:07 PM
No type of bulk, clean or dirtiest of the dirty, can accomplish anything without you busting your ass in the gym every week. Neither can cutting, for that matter. There's really no point in altering your diet at all if you aren't giving your body the stimulus to gain muscle, or at least the stimulus to maintain as much as possible.