PDA

View Full Version : How do you calm yoursef down?

ThomasG
10-11-2009, 11:33 AM
Not while your lifting I'm big on psyching myself out while I lift. But I'm talking days before you lift.

I find myself pumped up and excited to bench on Monday and its only Saturday morning and I think about it constantly. Same thing with other lifts I get way too excited and pumped days before its time to lift. I had the same problem with football in highschool, coach would lay us down and do mental drills in a dark quiet room to keep us calm so we didn't get too excited for the game when its days away, it helped a lot. I tried that out for weight lifting it helped a little.

I find it mentally unhealthy to be pumped up for something too early. I try and stay calm till the day of the lift.

Any tips? Things that worked out for you?

Lones Green
10-11-2009, 01:38 PM
I know I work very hard on the days I train, and enjoy days off. Rest is a huge part of lifting.

gregory.rox
10-11-2009, 02:58 PM
For me, I try not to think about it... But then again I'm pretty lazy lol... But ye, I talk to friends about stuff other than weight lifting for football or whatever to keep my mind off of it so I'm not wasting my energy. But usually about an hour before a football game or weight lifting I start to think about it alot to get into the mood. Dunno if this will help ya, but good luck.

chris mason
10-11-2009, 03:32 PM
The relaxation techniques you mentioned. It also gets better with age. I used to be just like you and am significantly less so now.

theBarzeen
10-11-2009, 05:02 PM
I get the same way..... even worse with a meet...... I have so many hobbies that it's not that hard to find something to do and that helps me a lot.......

ThomasG
10-11-2009, 07:48 PM
Yea Chris I am young, 20. And I have my first meet in Feb. Right on I'll keep up with the mental drills. Finding a positive distraction helps out a lot.

BigTallOx
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
That's one of the hardest things for me about powerlifting. At certain times ( like after my last meet ) my mind wants to train all the time, but I know if I do that it's going to be counter productive to my long term goals. I'm learning that the thing to do so that I dont think about lifting all the time is that when I do lift, I go all out and give it 110%. When I do that, it's easy not to think about it on my off days (because there's no way I'd be ready/feeling like training). It's when I don't really give my 100% in training, that's when I tend to think about it all the time.

SEOINAGE
10-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Yea Chris I am young, 20. And I have my first meet in Feb. Right on I'll keep up with the mental drills. Finding a positive distraction helps out a lot.

APF in brigham city? I thought about making that my first meet as well. It just depends if I decide to do a cut around the same time, can't buy gear that won't fit later. I'm always changing in size at this point, wish I could get some used starter stuff.

As to the original question, I haven't really ever tried to calm myself down, but i also hate wasting that energy prematurely.

ThomasG
10-12-2009, 10:56 AM
APF in brigham city? I thought about making that my first meet as well. It just depends if I decide to do a cut around the same time, can't buy gear that won't fit later. I'm always changing in size at this point, wish I could get some used starter stuff.

As to the original question, I haven't really ever tried to calm myself down, but i also hate wasting that energy prematurely.

Yup that one. I'm not going in with any gear this meet. Just wraps and a belt...

BigTallOx
10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
APF in brigham city? I thought about making that my first meet as well.

I'll be going to that meet too, at least that's the plan right now.

Judas
10-13-2009, 12:40 AM
I would go bats if i could only train 3-4 days a week. I like to train all the time. I'd train twice a day every day if i had the means. Right now i dont have the means, so i limit myself to 6 days a week, one per day.

If you get that crazy about training and cant stand not training... then just train more. Obviously, you cannot bench every day, but what you can do is rearrange your split in a way that lets you train as many days per week as you are able to, yet still not fatigue you for those important workouts. When i was still benching full volume i would hit heavy bench every four days, and leave some bench assistance (arms and upper back) for the day after bench, so thats two out ov every four days already. On day three i'd squat again, so while not benching, thats still good training. I'd take every fourth day off, unless i was really hurtin' to lift, then i'd hit the gym and find something to do that didn't hurt my bench workout the next day (in my case, light olympic lifts).

Or maybe do a Sheiko program that'll have you benching four days a week...???

LOts ov ways to get around this problem. But yeah, i hear ya.

Fuzzy
10-13-2009, 03:33 AM
Wait till your boddy begins telling you everyday how much of a dumbass you are for what you do.

Then you really will love your rest days.