PDA

View Full Version : Speed bench off boards...

JSully
10-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Anybody do them?

Contrary to most raw powerlifters, my bench is pretty strong off my chest. My issues are wehen I get about 4-5" off my chest. I used to be a 445x2 raw bencher and man, those days are long gone without the 'assistance' I once had (4 years ago).

Everything else is progressing great though. I just nailed a 600x1 squat pr yesterday and I'm closing in on a 700lb deadlift in just a few months.. whilst my bench is a measly 385.

I just switched back to a westside template as I saw better results from that than 5/3/1 as far as bench/deadlift is concerned.

So, would speed bench with bands off of a 2 board be beneficial? I've recently started trashing my triceps with pin presses, board presses, floor presses, straight bar skulls, jms & pushdowns.. Is there anything else anybody can recommend to bring my bench up to speed?

Thanks guys!

Lones Green
10-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Its just going to take some time buddy. Keep hammering away at those tri's.

Part of speed bench is working with the stretch reflex, not sure I'd replace all my full range speed work with board speed work.

Be interesting to see what some of the big benchers say. I know Paul does really fast lockout work off boards

barbell01
10-12-2009, 01:03 PM
i would do alot of floor pressing. either ME floor pressing and/or use it as a secondary pressing movement with somewhat heavy weight and reps of 5-8.... that has worked great for me.

Jay1
10-12-2009, 02:14 PM
I think most guys will do full range speed work. Like barbell01, when I use boards and bands it's usually for some reps. Your list of exercises looks good. When doing pushdowns and looking for strength I will usually use a rope. These work the long head better, which is more involved in the bench. I also like Rolling dumbbells and 4-5 board work and rack lockouts.

Travis Bell
10-12-2009, 02:53 PM
Limiting your range of motion for speed bench would lessen the benefit of speed benching in the first place

NickAus
10-12-2009, 03:26 PM
I really like floor presses 1-50 reps (sometimes finish with 135x50) has helped so far.
Maybe you could do full range speed bench but with monster mini's so there is more tension at lock-out, just drop the bar weight 20-30lbs.

bencher8
10-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I do my traditional speed work full ROM. Doing speed work off 2 brds isnt the best way to do it...

that being said their are some guys out there that do just that and are successful. I know Rob Luyando mostly does his speed work off of 3 brds. his idea is that is where his bar speed slows down, so he focusses his speed work on that area.

I know Clay B used floor presses with 2-3 brds on his chest for speed work a lot.

My recomendation is if you havent done a ton of speed work(years of it), then stick with full rom speed work. The only ones I have seen do it differently had a good base of speed already...