PDA

View Full Version : Shirted Benching Cycle input needed

pmiller383
10-12-2009, 02:22 PM
I'm getting ready for a push pull meet on November 14 and I need a little help setting up a bench cycle leading into the meet. I was planning on doing the meet raw due to the fact that I was training alone, but I have been able to meet up with some guys in my area that are going to help me with my shirt training. I switched from westside to 5/3/1 recently so Im not really %100 sure how to work my shirt stuff into the cycle. For my bench day I am going to be working primarily in the shirt, but for my military press day I am trying to decide if I would be better off doing speed work or floor presses as a second exercise. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks guys.

vdizenzo
10-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Alright, this is a mess. You want to work 5/3/1 equipped? That will not work. 5/3/1 is meant for raw. You cannot swap out exercises and expect it to work. The people who design programs are usally much smarter in their regards than those who try to change them. You are also only leaving yourself a month to prepare for a meet. That is not a lot of time in my book. If it's just for fun, throw on a shirt and work some singles and figure out the shirt. You cannot improve upon your strength much in a month if at all. However, you can improve technique.

My advice would be to keep your program as is except for 5/3/1 bench. Throw on the shirt for that exercise and experiment. After that, I think you should decide what it is you want to do for the next 12 weeks or so with your lifting. This way you can come up with an appropriate course of action.

pmiller383
10-12-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks bud, I appreciate your advice. I fully intend on sticking to the 5/3/1 plan for a while, Im just doing this meet for fun so I figured I would try to get a shirted press in. I realize Im not going to be building strength in the shirt this month but I definitely need the time in the shirt to learn the technique which is why Im putting the shirt on for my bench days. I guess my main question was whether or not I should do a bench exercise on my military press day after the military presses to keep raw strength where it is at.

vdizenzo
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM
Thanks bud, I appreciate your advice. I fully intend on sticking to the 5/3/1 plan for a while, Im just doing this meet for fun so I figured I would try to get a shirted press in. I realize Im not going to be building strength in the shirt this month but I definitely need the time in the shirt to learn the technique which is why Im putting the shirt on for my bench days. I guess my main question was whether or not I should do a bench exercise on my military press day after the military presses to keep raw strength where it is at.

Do your 5/3/1 raw bench after your shirt bench. No bench on military day.

NickAus
10-12-2009, 06:36 PM

On that day I would do speed benching with your comp grip and floor presses as a second then lots of upper back work.
7 days out I would back right off and eat well.

pmiller383
10-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Do your 5/3/1 raw bench after your shirt bench. No bench on military day.

Thanks, thats what I'll do.

NickAus
10-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks, thats what I'll do.

Vinnie knows more than I do.

IMO speed bench with a comp grip will do more for you at this point come meet day than military presses.

Sidior
10-12-2009, 07:31 PM
For post meet training a basic template in the shirt would work wonders. I followed one last year up until a meet and it was fantastic. I believe Vinny or Rhodes actually wrote it, simple and easy....
Week 1: 4 board 1RM, shirted triple
Week 2: 3 board 1RM, shirted triple
Week 3: 2 board 1RM, shirted triple
Week 4: deload
Week 5: 4 board 1RM, shirted double
Week 6: 3 board 1RM, shirted double
Week 7: 2 board 1RM, shirted double
Week 8: deload
Week 9: 4 board 1RM, shirted single
Week 10: 3 board 1RM, shirted single
Week 11: 2 board 1RM, shirted single
Week 12: deload
Week 13: meet time

Before you start calculate a realistic bench goal and then go backwards. Increment so that each week you are adding 15lbs to your top set in your shirt until week 11 when you hit your goal. It was something along those lines and it worked awesome for a novice shirted bencher.

edit: all board work is done raw

NickAus
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
For post meet training a basic template in the shirt would work wonders. I followed one last year up until a meet and it was fantastic. I believe Vinny or Rhodes actually wrote it, simple and easy....

Before you start calculate a realistic bench goal and then go backwards. Increment so that each week you are adding 15lbs to your top set in your shirt until week 11 when you hit your goal. It was something along those lines and it worked awesome for a novice shirted bencher.

That's really good, I am going to print that off.

Nice and simple.

barbell01
10-12-2009, 07:39 PM
the only thing you should be doing in the next month is LEARNING THE SHIRT! save the boards for after the meet. do triples without boards and touch as many reps as you can. is the meet in fargo?

pmiller383
10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
No, the meet is in Warren PA. Its being run by Carl seeker, he always puts on a pretty fun meet which is why I am going down to this one. This really is just a learning experience more than anything since I don't have to many meets under my belt.

drew
10-13-2009, 06:12 AM

This is a great bench cycle if you are relatively new to the shirt or if you have trouble touching. It's not great if you are throwing the shirt on for the first time or if you don't have good training partners who understand the cycle and why/how you are doing triples.

vdizenzo
10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Great ideas guys, but he's only got a month to go right now.

robchris
10-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Great ideas guys, but he's only got a month to go right now.

Agreed... Learn the shirts groove and try to touch something every week till the meet.

Save the advanced stuff for the next meet!