PDA

View Full Version : Olympic bars

NordicMan
10-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Has anyone here used the Iron Grip bars? They have two, both of them usable for Olympic lifting. One has what they call nylon or nylotron bearings, in place of the older brass. It is claimed that they work as well or better than the older brass. Then Iron Grip also has an IWF approved bar. The nylotron bar costs 420$, and the IWF approved bar has the needle bearings of finer quality. It costs 659$, which is less than other IWF approved bars, like the expensive Swedish bars.

The regular bar, the 420$ bar, is about the same as the bars that West Side sells, those texas bars, in price. It does have the flexibility of an Olympic bar, as compared to the power bars.

Judas
10-13-2009, 12:25 AM
Never even heard ov 'em. Who makes them? or is Iron Grip the brand name?

That bar (the cheaper one) is in the same price range as the well-liked Pendlay bar, and Eleiko owns the upper end, so it might be a hard market to break into for them. Got a link?

Morgan McPherson
10-13-2009, 12:46 AM
I think Pendlay is supposed to be the best bet for your money.
http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/pehdne20olba.html

NordicMan
10-13-2009, 02:53 AM
Never even heard ov 'em. Who makes them? or is Iron Grip the brand name?

That bar (the cheaper one) is in the same price range as the well-liked Pendlay bar, and Eleiko owns the upper end, so it might be a hard market to break into for them. Got a link?

Iron Grip is a barbell and plate manufacturer that makes plates in America,in southern California. They make two bars here(and dumbbells), one that is an exercise bar, the less expensive one, and the other is a competition bar, about 659$. Mostly Olympic lifters seem to like them, is what one of the designer's said. The less expensive one has those 'nylotron' bearings, which seem to hold up. That bar has knurling placed more like a power bar, so that it does not scratch up racks or supports. The competition bar is less expensive than the Leoko or Eleiko.

They may be seen at irongrip.com.

I am thinking about getting one of those bars, although I am not doing any Olympic lifting, rather I do some power cleans, and have not learned the quick Olympic lifts. I have a standard (1") bar, and a thick bar, no Olympic type bar.

I just like it when things are made here in America.

Iron Grip seems to market quite a lot to gyms and the military, which likes to get American made goods. One gym uptown has their weights.

Morgan McPherson
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Pendlay is made here in America. :)

NordicMan
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Pendlay is made here in America. :)

You know that for sure? I had two people in the industry tell me that only Iron Grip is. Of course, one of them was from Iron Grip, but the other is an independent businessman and Olympic weightlifter, too. He worked for York when they were American made.

I would be happy to know that another bar were made here in America. Hmm, I will look into this. That would be good news.

It used to be that there was Jackson, York(after Milo), and Iron Man, and Lurie, and I don't know how many other smaller operations around the country. I have some 45 lb. Olympic plates from Superior Barbell Company, which I think was in Chicago, was in Illinois, anyway, and some 50 lb standard 1" plates from a BSN corp in Dallas TX.

NordicMan
10-13-2009, 04:39 PM
I was just reading on Pendlay(muscle driver)'s site, and they say how they are made in America, by Americans. That is pretty good news, I like to hear that. It is too late to call them now, I am curious.

I met one fellow who was consulted by Iron Grip about their bar, so I am inclined that way, but now I want to find out about these Pendlay bars too.

Thanks for the note.

Morgan McPherson
10-13-2009, 05:34 PM
The Pendlay is only $299, so you would be looking to save roughly $350. For me personally, that would be enough incentive. I think a lot of Crossfit people use their bar and they also make inexpensive bumper plates.

Here is their bar:

http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/pehdne20olba.html

And for the same price ($629) as the other bar you were looking at, they have this deal which includes both weights and the Olympic bar. And it has free shipping! This was what I was looking at buying back when I was Oly lifting.

http://www.pendlaybarbell.com/busetwecbuhd.html

Hope this helps.

NordicMan
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for the link. The bar I was talking about for 659$ is Iron Grips IWF spec competition bar. The 429$ is their exercise bar. True, it is still more, but the more expensive bar has better bushings, while the exercise bar has these 'nylotron' bushings. It also is made of a chrome steel. One was left outdoors for several years in Michigan(over the winters too), and the only place it showed any rust was by the knurling, where hand oil bothered.

I went to the Pendlay site, and also talked with them. They have a new Olympic bar coming along the pike, to be available in about two weeks. It is what they call the HD bearing bar, more 'whip' to the bar, and better action due to their bearing design. It will go for 499$, which is pretty good for what is supposed to be an IWF spec bar, if not certified.