PDA

View Full Version : Which Multiply Bench Shirt?

Sidior
10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
I am ordering my first multiply bench shirt and was looking for input from any equipped benchers. So far I have used a single ply F6 and really enjoyed it. I will be getting it loose and growing into it, so I'm not afraid of working with too strong a shirt. I benched 525 in april in my F6 and since then have been entirely out of equipment. I compete in the SSA and my goal is a 600lb equipped bench with a new shirt. Let me know what you think....

Two vids below of me benching. My form is very similar now, I just bench with my legs much closer together. I am also significantly stronger raw then I was when I hit these, so I do think 600lbs is possible by summer 2010.

I am considered a Metal Ace, multiply F6 or a double rageX at the moment.

benching in the gym
Dlai1nUFQ1M

the meet I hit 525
XjvM8ZrD9MI

barbell01
10-13-2009, 07:40 PM
your probobly gonna get alot of diffrent opinions,, i will say that i bench very similar and i like the metal ace.

douglasoh5
10-13-2009, 07:58 PM
ace...all the way.....really good shirt and will last.....iv used mine in 3 meets....never used boards and touch about 90% of my reps and the shirt is still cock strong

Brian Hopper
10-13-2009, 08:07 PM
I haven't had the experience in any of the new age poly shirts. I have a METAL Double Denim, and I love it. I have another denim shirt that I want to try before I switch to a poly. But then again, I have been thinking about one of Ginny's denim shirts or an XPG Denim shirt. So as you can see, I'm a big fan of denim.

vdizenzo
10-13-2009, 08:35 PM
Great benching. I am now sponsored by Elite which sells Metal. I am not making my recommendation based on my sponsorship, but based on the fact that I have worn two of the shirts you are talking about. The Rage X is a great shirt, but it has a very small chest plate. You look like you are having great success with a nice open collar. The Ace has that. It is one strong ass shirt, so if you get it too tight it might give you problems, but I guess that goes with any shirt.

NickAus
10-13-2009, 09:12 PM
The only thing I will say about the Ace (awesome material) is the cut makes you have to have your elbows in a little even at the top so you may find it hard to flare at the top like you do.
The shirt gives great pop but then it's a little hard to lock-out cause you can't finish with the bar over your face/neck and get your elbows under the bar.
This is my opinion of the shirt, watch in the future and I bet you don't see too many records done in this shirt because all the big benchers finish with the bar over the face or close to it, elbows flared.
The material is really good!
Again this is only my opinion but have a look and see if any records are set in the Ace.

mastermonster
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Since you've used the Titan F6 and like it I think the double F6 would be a logical next choice. When I used the F6 I got up to 625 in the size 50 with the back partially open (all but the last 9-10 inches of the shirt tail). I got 705 in the size 52 2 ply F6 partially opened, but it was much harder to touch consistantly. I now use the Super Katana and am experimenting with the prototype shirt Titan is developing. If you try the Super Katana, I'd suggest trying the 1 ply 1st. I have to use 2 sizes bigger than I wear in a single Super Katana to touch the 2 ply.

vdizenzo
10-14-2009, 05:51 AM
The only thing I will say about the Ace (awesome material) is the cut makes you have to have your elbows in a little even at the top so you may find it hard to flare at the top like you do.
The shirt gives great pop but then it's a little hard to lock-out cause you can't finish with the bar over your face/neck and get your elbows under the bar.
This is my opinion of the shirt, watch in the future and I bet you don't see too many records done in this shirt because all the big benchers finish with the bar over the face or close to it, elbows flared.
The material is really good!
Again this is only my opinion but have a look and see if any records are set in the Ace.

I don't find that at all. Actually I feel it is quite the contrary. We'll agree to disagree there. Regarding bench records in the Ace, I can tell you first hand that basically every big bencher is working with a sponsorship. I will also tell you this, I have been sponsored by 3 gear manufacturers now, and Elite is the toughest sponsorship to get. Their focus is not solely numbers driven. They want sponsors that give back and have a lot to offer the sport and readers.

Honestly, the shirts are becoming a lot like training programs, there are a lot of good ones out there. Just pick one and work hard. The main reason I went to Elite was because of the team concept there. I really respect what Dave has done in, and with the sport. The UGS Sessions are some of the best times I have had since powerlifting, and I have competed in just about every big contest in benching there has been.

Pick a shirt for whatever reason. Throw darts if you have to. Then learn it and work it. That's my best advice.

Rob Luyando
10-14-2009, 06:14 AM
I would sugest Overkill double ply bench shirt. I have used every inzer shirt know to man and this shirt leaves them all in the dust. Cost of the shirt is $200.00 totally jacked. I would pick this shirt over any shirt on the market right now becuase it works.

My second choice would be a Metal Ace. Shirt seems to have a forgiving groove and puts out results as well.

Shoot me a PM and I can send you the Overkill odering info.

NickAus
10-14-2009, 06:34 AM
I don't find that at all. Actually I feel it is quite the contrary. We'll agree to disagree there. Regarding bench records in the Ace, I can tell you first hand that basically every big bencher is working with a sponsorship. I will also tell you this, I have been sponsored by 3 gear manufacturers now, and Elite is the toughest sponsorship to get. Their focus is not solely numbers driven. They want sponsors that give back and have a lot to offer the sport and readers.

Honestly, the shirts are becoming a lot like training programs, there are a lot of good ones out there. Just pick one and work hard. The main reason I went to Elite was because of the team concept there. I really respect what Dave has done in, and with the sport. The UGS Sessions are some of the best times I have had since powerlifting, and I have competed in just about every big contest in benching there has been.

Pick a shirt for whatever reason. Throw darts if you have to. Then learn it and work it. That's my best advice.

No problem, do you find it easy to flare at the top with the ace?
Do you not find it tucks you too much at the top?
I guess not but I sure find it hard to bench the way I feel strongest.
I do love the material.

NASAKYCHAIRMAN
10-14-2009, 07:57 AM
I suggest Inzer Double-Ply Rage X!

Sidior
10-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the information guys. I have used the Ace material before with my squat briefs and been very impressed. Longevity is also a concern and I feel the Ace shirt may last longer then the double F6. I won't be ordering for about a month, so I will keep you all updated.

SELK
10-14-2009, 11:24 AM
The ace looks to be a good shirt, I have never seen one though.

You still can't go wrong with a rage-x, katana or SDP. Ive used all these shirts and they are all excellent. The only problem with the SDP is that it is a real bitch to get on, and if it gets wet it looses alot of pop.

big iron has success with rage-xs
supertraining has sucess with katanas
and of course many big names have success with the SDP.

Just pick one and go with it, all are going to be a fairly major step up from your single f6 for sure.

ct67_72
10-14-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm not nearly as experienced as most of these guys but I got the best of both worlds I think. I had been using a double f6 which I was very happy with, then I sent it to Ken Anderson who super scooped the neck and reinforced it and now it's a whole new shirt, I don't think as aggressive as the super katanas but more than a standard f6.
So I think what I'm saying is there are people out there who do this for a living willing to help you out and get you exactly what you need. Maybe it's worth a call to one (or e-mail, I know Ken will get back to you within half a day in my experience)

Rob Luyando
10-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I have played with every shirt in the game for the most part. Hands down price and quality and performance Overkill can't be beat. I guess I will have to step on the platform one more time to answer all doubts

ct67_72
10-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I have played with every shirt in the game for the most part. Hands down price and quality and performance Overkill can't be beat. I guess I will have to step on the platform one more time to answer all doubts

where do you find info on these?

NickAus
10-14-2009, 03:41 PM
where do you find info on these?

rudy@overkillstrength.com

douglasoh5
10-14-2009, 08:06 PM
No problem, do you find it easy to flare at the top with the ace?
Do you not find it tucks you too much at the top?
I guess not but I sure find it hard to bench the way I feel strongest.
I do love the material.

most likely its you not the shirt....what I tell alot of ppl is dont press it up at all....once you touch start thinking flare.....I worked with ted one of the dudes on elite and hes got about a 95% chance to smash 500lbs in a cpl weeks. before he was have trouble with 405...

NickAus
10-14-2009, 08:46 PM
most likely its you not the shirt....what I tell alot of ppl is dont press it up at all....once you touch start thinking flare.....I worked with ted one of the dudes on elite and hes got about a 95% chance to smash 500lbs in a cpl weeks. before he was have trouble with 405...

You may be right, I did a slow 485 in the ace, but got a viking cut shirt with ace fabric and benched 525 pretty fast because I found it much easier to flare.
Just my thoughts I'm no expert.
Have you tried it? Does it push your elbows in from the start?

packers0415
10-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Love my Titan Super katana double ply

douglasoh5
10-15-2009, 06:22 PM
yes i have been using the ace shirt before they even came out....the ace design is alot better than the viking...imo....but i get 250+ out of it

theBarzeen
10-15-2009, 06:44 PM
I haven't tried the ACE, but I've used a single f6, a few denims, a rage X and a BOSS...... and by far the best shirt I have used is the Overkill.... custom made to your measurements and as gangster as a shirt can come...... I'm not a very strong bencher, but I've hit 500 in a single F6. At the Illinois state AAPF meet I hit 551 in my BOSS prototype, after a month in the Overkill shirt I hit 584 at AWPC worlds and now that I've had time to learn the shirt I hit 630 in the gym with a pause, and 680 for 2 reps off of a 1 board.... no where near Robs #'s but I'm really happy with how well it's worked for me.

NickAus
10-15-2009, 06:46 PM
I haven't tried the ACE, but I've used a single f6, a few denims, a rage X and a BOSS...... and by far the best shirt I have used is the Overkill.... custom made to your measurements and as gangster as a shirt can come...... I'm not a very strong bencher, but I've hit 500 in a single F6. At the Illinois state AAPF meet I hit 551 in my BOSS prototype, after a month in the Overkill shirt I hit 584 at AWPC worlds and now that I've had time to learn the shirt I hit 630 in the gym with a pause, and 680 for 2 reps off of a 1 board.... no where near Robs #'s but I'm really happy with how well it's worked for me.

I have mine being made now, thanks for all your help mate!

Will let you know how it goes!

Stumprrp
10-15-2009, 07:16 PM
it looks like you wear your shirt low on the shoulders and jacked down like myself, i have great success in my double ply rage x with a 2 inch scoop, grid stich, and beefed up collar. it was a custom shirt.

Brian Hopper
10-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Is there a website you can go to check out the Overkill shirts?

NickAus
10-15-2009, 08:00 PM
Is there a website you can go to check out the Overkill shirts?

No web site yet, you can contact him at rudy@overkillstrength.com.

Really looking forward to getting the shirt, I spoke with Rudy on the phone before placing the order and he was very helpful with all details of the shirts options etc.

He does 1 ply 2 ply and 3 ply shirts but you can also do a combo like 2 ply sleeves with 3 ply chest plate.

Collars are 4, 5 and 6 ply I think (not 100% sure).

Clifford Gillmore
10-15-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm hoping to try out the ACE very soon, one of the gear-whores in the gym has one and we are around the same size, the chest will be a little loose but thats about it. From all accounts the material is like wet-suit material, as in THICK!! I'm not sure about you Dave but I'm leaning towards a Rage-X for myself, just doesn't seem as extreme as the ACE.

NickAus
10-15-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm hoping to try out the ACE very soon, one of the gear-whores in the gym has one and we are around the same size, the chest will be a little loose but thats about it. From all accounts the material is like wet-suit material, as in THICK!! I'm not sure about you Dave but I'm leaning towards a Rage-X for myself, just doesn't seem as extreme as the ACE.

The ace is thick but it is pretty easy to touch in compared to some shirts.
It is comfortable too which I know is very important for you Risk ha ha.

Clifford Gillmore
10-15-2009, 08:52 PM
The ace is thick but it is pretty easy to touch in compared to some shirts.
It is comfortable too which I know is very important for you Risk ha ha.

Hahaha, you ass!

What do you think about it being compared to denim Nick?

NickAus
10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Hahaha, you ass!

What do you think about it being compared to denim Nick?

I have not used a denim, I tried to get a Karins denim but he was going to charge me more for the shipping than the shirt.

I actually think the ace is easy to learn and not too much shirt for you so long as you don't get it very tight in the chest plate (like you said).
While the fabric is thick it does stretch as you come down to your chest so it's just as easy to use as a viking for example even though it's thick.

Hope that helps!

NickAus
10-15-2009, 09:41 PM
Also the ace collar is very strong (5 or 6 ply) so if you don't pull the shirt down you will touch much easier.