PDA

View Full Version : SS and GPP

XMadmanX
10-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Hey I wanna add some conditioning/cardio and what not. I do starting strength on Saturday, Monday, Wednesday. What day would be best to add some GPP work, and what should I do? i wouldn't mind adding some kettlebell work but don't know if/how it will fit in.

thanks.

tomv
10-15-2009, 12:22 AM
I would suggest you add it in either after Wednesday's workout or on Thursday. Be wary that this will affect your recovery ability to some degree and you may not be able to put as much weight on the bar as quickly... These are maybes, try it and see what works.

tomv
10-15-2009, 12:24 AM
As far as conditioning work goes, there was a great thread on here called "Fat Man GPP" which contained a lot of ideas. Kettlebells are great, barbell complexes can be great, Tabata Protocol is said to be very beneficial (but very taxing). It's up to you. You could do hill sprints, regular sprints, HIIT, Sled drags, sled pushes... You get the point.

I would suggest Hill sprints and Kettlebells if you have access to them.

Off Road
10-15-2009, 06:34 AM
I'd start with adding in only one day of GPP to start with. Then give it a couple of weeks to see how you respond to it and if you can recover from it. Adding things in slowly is the best way to judge it's effect. My personal favorite is sled work and a limited ammount doesn't seem to interfere with the lifting.

Bmxstrong
11-07-2009, 02:03 PM
I'd start with adding in only one day of GPP to start with. Then give it a couple of weeks to see how you respond to it and if you can recover from it. Adding things in slowly is the best way to judge it's effect. My personal favorite is sled work and a limited ammount doesn't seem to interfere with the lifting.

solid advice here this shouldnt effect your recovery at all just add gpp in slowly and watch hpw your body feels but light conditioning on your off days would be best

Sensei
11-10-2009, 09:56 PM
Do you have any goals with your GPP that you are not targeting with your Starting Strength program? Determine those and then choose accordingly - randomly doing 'hard things' is not the most productive use of your time and energy.

ZenMonkey
11-11-2009, 10:51 AM
Rip recommends doing a 4 day split

Mon: SS : A
Tue: GPP
Thu: SS : B
Fri: GPP

I do something like (not exactly but close)
A:
Snatch
Squat
Press
GPP
B:
Clean Jerk
Squat
Pull
GPP