PDA

View Full Version : Diets effects on body composition when training and weight remain the same

brihead301
10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Here's the deal. I train hard always. I always try to progress every single workout in either reps or weight (doing 5/3/1 currently). I do a good deal of cardio as well from MMA, barbell circuits, or LSD. I weigh around 175 lbs. - 180 lbs. I fluctuate, but usually it's around 177 lbs.

Now my question is, assuming the training remains consistent (progressively overloading on weight), cardio remains the same, and my bodyweight remains the same will changing macros affect my body composition? I was going extremely low carbs for a while, and now I'm eating more moderate amounts of carbs. I'm also not being quite as strict from avoiding junk foods like I was when I was seriously cutting....

So that said, if my weight is not changing, and I'm getting stronger, is it possible that I can still be gaining fat from eating more carbs and junk foods?

Holto
10-15-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm gonna go with:

If you're gaining strength but not weight, there is no possibility of fat gain.

Sean S
10-15-2009, 05:33 PM
You'll be able to visually tell if you are gaining any significant amount of fat. It seems unlikely you will start gaining any fat without gaining any weight unless your diet goes completely in the crapper.

brihead301
10-16-2009, 06:45 AM
I was just wondering because my diet has gotten crappier lately, and I've been noticing some fat gains around the gut, but I weigh the same, and my workouts are still getting more and more intense.

Skalami
10-16-2009, 08:01 AM
Go with it, its winter reassess in February

godstrength
10-16-2009, 08:02 AM
I was just wondering because my diet has gotten crappier lately, and I've been noticing some fat gains around the gut, but I weigh the same, and my workouts are still getting more and more intense.

The gain around the belly is more likey just puffyness than anything. As in you are holding water from the crap you are eating.

Also if you are doing alot of cardio, I'd push back from that for say a week, and you'll harden up some at that time.
Overly intense cardio will also cause you to hold water...

Skalami
10-16-2009, 08:25 AM
id agree with Godstrength, i said i was going to do a slow bulk basically just took my existing diet and added a little more food here and there. In a few weeks i felt a bit fatter, my 6 pack was fading while my weight and strength barely went up. Kinda upset. So i cut out the newly added snacks for TWO DAYS and i was back to a 6 pack.

So dont worry, just dont go nuts with the food.

brihead301
10-16-2009, 01:27 PM
Wow, it's really amazing how quickly your body changes with diet. I never realized that simple things like water retention can make this much of a difference. That does make sense though.

I guess I am a bit too critical on myself, and only I could notice such minor changes.... But these replies do make sense. Thanks fellas!