PDA

View Full Version : Things I've learned about extreme dieting

Clifford Gillmore
10-16-2009, 12:05 AM
For those of you who don't know, I've been dropping some weight for a powerlifting meet, nothing spectacular, but I decided to go from 242lbs to 220lbs. Right now I am sitting on a morning weight of 220.2, and around 16% BF. I started 4 weeks ago at 20%+ body fat, these are some of my feelings and thoughts about what I came across in the last month.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/5733/numbers.jpg

■ Numbers. This has been the only time I have dropped weight with a number in mind, normally I took the approach of the regular gym rat - Too look good naked. This is of course a terrible goal, there is no measurable matter and the slow results are VERY dis-heartening. If I decided to do this again, I will be taking fat measurements at 3 or 4 sites on my body. That way I can track my progress even better, see if I'm losing mass or losing fat/water. Time consuming, but worth it.

■ MORE Numbers. I decided to use Lyle McDonalds 'Rapid Weightloss Guide', along side his 'Ketogenic Diet'. I did this for a few reasons, the biggest one was I wanted to cut out alot of fluid out of my body at the same time - So I could maximise my weight loss. The principle behind the diet was a Protein Sparring Moderated Fast, my primary
food source was going to be Protein, and to a lesser extent fat. Carbs are out, until a refeed comes around. I timed everything so that my 2 (TWO!) refeeds would fall on the exact
halfway point on my cut and the day of my weigh in.

■ EVEN MORE Numbers. Because I took this approach, I had to track my diet a little harder than I have before. Normally I can ball-park most foods, portions etc. etc. But this time I wanted to follow the protocols to the letter, it worked out in my favour. On training days I consumed around 1200cals, on non training days I consumed 800cals. I had the option of doing a cardio days on my non-training days, with the option of having 1000cals. I did not have one single cardio day. The calories are brutal, but I adjust very quickly. Days 1-4 were the hardest and I believe I cheated 3 days in, I couldn't believe how weak I was when it came to self control.

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4026/organicproduce.jpg

■ FOOD. I learnt no more about food than I already know. What I did learn was a dryed out chicken breast can be cured by melting some cheese and combining the two. Extremely marbled Sirloin steaks are difficult to eat, only one per sitting is harsh! Salad should not be avoided, I can't believe how little I used to eat compared to how much I CAN eat. Mcdonalds burgers without the buns are awful. Burger Kings Ultimate Whopper without the buns is quite nice in a pinch! Subway salads are OK, but for about 5$ last night I made two huge salads for my partner and myself - including 2 chicken breasts each.

■ BETTER Food. I've always had a huge problem drying out chicken breasts, and I've wondered how a local resteraunts keep their crumbed chicken breast parmigiana so moist. So I went and found out. Brining. Brining is the process of Curing a meat, using the process of osmosis to make it absorb moisture - I've been doing this for nearly ten years with corned beef. Take 3 cups of water per chicken breast, add another cup per breast. Add 3 table spoons of salt, 1/2 tablespoon for each extra breast. Place the chicken breast in the brine for about an hour before you cook then, bake for 15-20 minutes depending on size. Lean, moist and easy. Add in your salad, a few cubes of cheese and you have a VERY satiating meal.

http://www.atlargenutrition.com/images/products/fatlossstack_large.jpg

■ Supplements. I like supplements, but you don't exactly NEED them - they certainly help thought. A fish oil, a multi-vitamin and a good protein powder are almost essential in this type of diet, a thermogenic is certainly a bonus - but not 100% needed. You can get all of these from www.atlargenutrition.com , get everything at once and you save on shipping... Makes sense to me.

■ MORE on supplements. Protein powder in water kind of sucks, but that was what I had to do. I ended up having a teaspoon of peanut butter with each 50g shake, just to keep me going. Cannot finish shake, no peanut butter. Thermogenics are evil, sure they make you burn more calories, but MY GOD was I hot for the first 5 days - you do adjust to them though, which I noticed I started to feel very cold on days I did not take it.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/1176/louiesimmons2.jpg

■ Training. I didn't change anything. I follow the Conjugated Periodization aproach as outlined by Louie Simmons gym www.westside-barbell.com. Workouts were the same, I made it through just fine, on a few days where I thought I would normally die I felt fine. I even had less DOMS. I squatted my opener of 440 for 2 as I was nearing the end of this cut, with energy to spare and no DOMS in sight. My planned opener when I was 242 was 360lbs. I am stronger.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/8960/73271397905734308256534.jpg

■ GPP. I do have to say though, my GPP is OK. I do lots of stuff for it, but I never focus on it. I walk alot, I push alot of heavy things around, I throw 60lbs+ cartons over 9ft when stack stock in multiple lots. Like lots of 100+.

http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/3815/image80tapwater.gif

■ Water. Is fantastic. Its all I need, and all I want - all the time!

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9797/nerd46422fm3.jpg

■ The Internet. There was alot of support on the internet for Low-carb recipies, there was also alot of mis-information about low-carb dieting. There are also alot of mis-conceptions on what you need to eat and how much weight you can lose in a week. There are alot of diet experts on the internet too, I really don't need advice from you though, thanks.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/4052/image003zj.jpg

■ Weight Classes. I really shouldn't of cut weight. I'm tall. I'm 6'3", I should weigh around 275 for a minimum. 220lbs is a stupid number.

Jayfive
10-16-2009, 08:12 AM
■ MORE Numbers. I decided to use Lyle McDonalds 'Rapid Weightloss Guide', along side his 'Ketogenic Diet'. I did this for a few reasons, the biggest one was I wanted to cut out alot of fluid out of my body at the same time - So I could maximise my weight loss. The principle behind the diet was a Protein Sparring Moderated Fast, my primary
food source was going to be Protein, and to a lesser extent fat. Carbs are out, until a refeed comes around. I timed everything so that my 2 (TWO!) refeeds would fall on the exact
halfway point on my cut and the day of my weigh in.

I've been toying with the idea of switching up my diet and this kinda gives me a tap in that direction. Question for you though. Do you mean Lyle Mcdonald's "Rapid Fat Loss Handbook" or is there another one? A lot of these guys will have 4 or 5 different books out with similar titles, so I wanna make sure to look at the right one.

I'd ask more but I think a lot of the questions I have could be answered in the books. Thanks for the post. :clap:

Clifford Gillmore
10-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I've been toying with the idea of switching up my diet and this kinda gives me a tap in that direction. Question for you though. Do you mean Lyle Mcdonald's "Rapid Fat Loss Handbook" or is there another one? A lot of these guys will have 4 or 5 different books out with similar titles, so I wanna make sure to look at the right one.

I'd ask more but I think a lot of the questions I have could be answered in the books. Thanks for the post. :clap:

It was Lyles' Rapid Fat Loss Handbook, apologies. I didn't have a copy on the computer I typed this up on! All of Lyles' books are good though, just depends on what kind of stage your body is at.

Ask as many questions as you want though, the books are GREAT but sometimes they can get a bit overwhelming!

musclemick
10-19-2009, 06:39 AM
Nice thread risk..... 1200 calories a day!!! is that a typo haha. Interested in your progress I may give this a try.

Clifford Gillmore
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
It was indeed 1200 cals on training days, 800 on off days. Its not as bad as it sounds, because you really go out of your way to make the meals as enjoyable as possible.

Jayfive
10-19-2009, 01:33 PM
It was indeed 1200 cals on training days, 800 on off days. Its not as bad as it sounds, because you really go out of your way to make the meals as enjoyable as possible.

I tried out getting just 800 cals yesterday and couldn't manage it. I ended up downing 2 tbs of peanut butter before bed lol (so used to having a big breakfast I used up around 550 cals on breakfast alone). I just ordered the Ketogenic Diet. Unfortunately the Fat Loss Handbook is apparently extremely rare. Thanks for the write up. You've given me some things to think about.

Clifford Gillmore
10-19-2009, 02:40 PM
"The Ketogenic Diet" Covers everything the Rapid Fatloss Handbook does, I think it includes some extra things aswell - Routines and some more indepth science behind it all.

LOL! I understand how you feel about the low cals. The first 3 days are BRUTAL, my thermogenics didn't really supress my appetite until about a week in - which sucked. Once your body flips into Ketosis it seems to be very manageable.

Jayfive
10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
LOL @ the thermogenics. I made the mistake of taking nitor around 4pm, i was awake till 8am this morning lol. Yeah, today isn't that hard so far. I do keep wanting to have pasta or a grilled cheese tho...

Clifford Gillmore
10-20-2009, 07:39 AM
LOL @ the thermogenics. I made the mistake of taking nitor around 4pm, i was awake till 8am this morning lol. Yeah, today isn't that hard so far. I do keep wanting to have pasta or a grilled cheese tho...

I did fight alot of cravings for Burgers and chips, I did have 2 (Only) ultimate whoppers from Burger King with no buns during the entire operation. You can make a MUCH nicer meal with lower cals by picking up;

an 8oz Striplion, cheese, and a huge garden salad. Then just add in things you like and go for it! More salad the better.

Jayfive
10-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks a lot for all the info. I may start a keto log here soon. I'm still trying to work out the training (I've reset my weights thanks to a lower back injury a little while back so I'm currently working my up). This'll be my 3rd day in depletion and my 1st workout day, I feel weak as hell though. Weak, tired, and fkn hungry.

I had been following Starting Strength but since I'm cutting, I'd rather save that for when I'm sure I can get the most out of it. I'll probably just follow a 3 day body part split centered around the big 3 (bench on chest day, deads on back day, squats on leg day).

This has been really helpful though, thanks a lot. I'm probably going to refeed once a week for 2 weeks and finish the 3rd week out full keto/depletion (only doing 3 weeks because on Nov. 8th I'm going on a business trip and have very limited ways to eat).

Lawliet
10-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Wow thank you for sharing this information. IT will definitely really help me. This will serve as a guide.

NickAus
10-21-2009, 10:48 PM
Nice thread mate!