PDA

View Full Version : Diet vs Supplements?

mynamzmudd
10-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Hey everybody. Im new here and I am looking for the truth. Im 6'0" and weigh 155lbs. I am what you would truly call a "Hardgainer". I have lifted in the past but only for 2 month's or so, Got sick and lost all motivation due to not feeling well and lack of seeing gain's. I was drinking protine shakes and taking weight gainer shake's also. Well im back at it and giving it another try. Im 39 years old and truly have a hard time packing any pound's on at all. I have read all the ad's in the muscle mag's about Muscletec's product's and they all look like they would work. My question is this, Would the proper diet (for bulking up not losing weight) out do thoes sup's? Or would it be best to combine them together? Mind you I have 2 kid's under the age of 2 and my finances are limited so i cant spend $200.00 or more a month on supplements. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thank's everyone.

Jayfive
10-16-2009, 09:30 AM
Would the proper diet (for bulking up not losing weight) out do thoes sup's? Or would it be best to combine them together?

Supplements are just that, supplements. They supplement your diet. I'd say maybe get some protein and possibly a weight gainer if you're having trouble getting your cals in but thats it. Otherwise, eat big. You can take all the Muscletech garbage you want, but if you aren't eating right you'll just be another skinny guy with an armful of crap standing at the counter at GNC.

mynamzmudd
10-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Well having an armload of supplement's at the counter of GNC could be a heck of a workout in itself lol. Everyone say's up to 5 meal's a day is good but I work 12 hour shift's and dont have time for that. I can get in 3 good meal's a day with no problem though. I love all the food's that are high in protine such as beef, chicken, pork and fish. Peanuts and cottage cheese, Egg's ect ect..... I eat pretty good (portion wise) now. It's nothing for me to put down a pound of steak and a huge baked potato and some green bean's in one setting. But still not added a pound. I have been this size since 11th grade and that was ages ago. Last time I lifted was when andro was a big deal in the late 90's. I took it and still didn't gain. (I know bad thing to do) And wont go that route again.

Mercuryblade
10-16-2009, 09:56 AM
Are you unable to bring food with you into work?
There are lots of calorie dense things you can snack on, almonds are a great example. Pack a cup of these, eat throughout the day, and there is a heart-healthy and cheap option.

mynamzmudd
10-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Yes im able to pack a lunch for work but not allowed to eat or snack at my work station. I get 2 15 minute and 1 half hour break a day. Im planning on going to the book store tomorrow to find a book about cooking for mass. Hopefully they have one.

Unreal
10-16-2009, 10:11 AM
All you have to do is eat above your maintence calories. It is really that simple. If you are currently eating 3000 calories a day and not gaining then eat 3500. If you don't know how many your eating start there.

Eat more. I read an article yesterday where Dave Tate said he would take a large pizza, dump 1/2 a bottle of olive oil on it, then eat it. Breakfast was 4 McDonalds Sandwhichs and 4 hashbrowns and lunch was a buffet. For the buffet the goal was 45 minutes of nonstop eating. There is NO such thing as a hardgainer, just undereaters so man up and eat something.

machaf
10-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Yes im able to pack a lunch for work but not allowed to eat or snack at my work station. I get 2 15 minute and 1 half hour break a day. Im planning on going to the book store tomorrow to find a book about cooking for mass. Hopefully they have one.

Here is your five meals. Make each meal 600 cals.

1. at home
2. first 15 break
2. half hour break
3. second 15 break
4. home
5. before bed

Like everyone else has said, if you're not gaining weight you aren't eating over maintenance. Aim for 1.5 gram protein per pound of body weight.

Some high calorie foods you might consider are:

whole milk
peanut butter / peanuts/almonds/any nuts
raisins
beans
pasta
rice
salmon
sausage

Lots of other junk foods you can eat to get calories too.
I only supplement with protein shakes on my lifting days (one after always, sometimes one before) all my other calories come from food.