PDA

View Full Version : raw bench press sets & reps

powerm64
10-16-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm thinking of doing my first RAW bench meet in about four weeks, what kind of sets and reps should I be doing to peak at that time without over training? I work out alone most of the time so keep that in mind. At this time I bench around 360 or so raw, masters lifter. Thanks for your help.:confused:

NickAus
10-16-2009, 06:06 PM
What does your training look like?
Do you do speed work?
Let us know so we can help better.

powerm64
10-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Mondays I will work up to sets of 3 to 5 with 315 to 335 on flat bench. Thursdays I do speed work with 225 for 8 sets of 3 and do inclines for sets of 10 up to around 250 to 260. I only work out two times a week because of my age and recovery issues. I also squat on Mondays and deadlift on Thursdays. I hope this will help.

allan3
10-16-2009, 09:49 PM
:hello: i was out to lunch i guess when i answered this :hello:

vdizenzo
10-16-2009, 09:51 PM
If you train in a power rack, I recommend you work up to a max single for the next two weeks. Make sure to pause the weight in the bottom and hold the lockout before you rack the weight, because you will have to do that in a meet. The third week just go super light for a few reps, just to keep your form and get the blood cirulating. Then compete on the fourth week. Good luck.

powerm64
10-17-2009, 05:26 PM
If you train in a power rack, I recommend you work up to a max single for the next two weeks. Make sure to pause the weight in the bottom and hold the lockout before you rack the weight, because you will have to do that in a meet. The third week just go super light for a few reps, just to keep your form and get the blood cirulating. Then compete on the fourth week. Good luck.

Thanks for the info. Should I just warm up and then do heavy singles with a pause or do several sets as I have been doing then do the singles?

Chris Rodgers
10-17-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info. Should I just warm up and then do heavy singles with a pause or do several sets as I have been doing then do the singles?

I would warm up and then do the singles with the pause. If you wanted to do some volume stuff, do it after you do the pause sets just so you can see where you are fresh and you can figure out your exact warmups for the meet.

powerm64
10-18-2009, 01:41 PM
I would warm up and then do the singles with the pause. If you wanted to do some volume stuff, do it after you do the pause sets just so you can see where you are fresh and you can figure out your exact warmups for the meet.

Thanks for the info. I will start doing some singles tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks again.