PDA

View Full Version : First meet, thoughts and thanks

Morgan McPherson
10-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Wow, all I can say is that was one of the absolutely hardest days I have ever had! I feel extremely exhausted. I just wanted to post and say thank you to the following people: my wife, for being my best friend and love of my life, helping to video and just being a wonderful support. And allowing me to be who I am and supporting my powerlifting endeavours. Thad Coleman, for being my handler, helping me to train and prepare, and for just being one of the most generous human beings I have ever met. You are truly an inspiration to me! Manny Esco, for helping me to become a better person, and a better lifter, thanks for your continual support as I chase after my goals. And lastly, to Louie Simmons, you may never read this, but I want to thank you for freely giving us the Westside Method. In all honesty, without that, I would never have seen the growth that I have. Westside has been an inspiration and it is a big part of why I got into powerlifting. And the Westside Method is what helped me to see gains in a shorter amount of time than I had ever even imagined possible. I have only been Powerlifting for roughly 4 months and my numbers and bodyweight have just jumped like crazy and it is due in large part to Westside.

In a more general way I would like to thank this message board. I go on here several times a day and read lots of the posts. It has been a huge help! I cannot stress that enough. When I started Powerlifting people answered my questions and pointed me in the right direction. The friendly environment and the willing help from the pros is just unbelievable. Thank you.

I weighed in this morning at 213.5 lbs butt naked. It was a push/pull (I would rather do a full meet, but this is what was available) and I entered the open division. My best lifts of the day were a 418.5 shirted bench and a 485 raw deadlift. With a 903.5 total at my first meet! My goal was to break 900 and I did that, I could not be happier. I won my weight class by default. But I won best coefficient in the open! That was pretty cool. There were roughly 50 competitors smashed into a 900 square foot ghetto ass gym, plus another 40 or more spectators! It was hot as balls in there, definitely over 90 degrees and humid. I was so nervous I could barely eat after breakfast and I was drinking Gatorade and water like it was the Sahara desert. I honestly do not know if I have ever been this exhausted. I feel like I ran a freaking marathon.

All I have to say is this: totals in a gym don't mean s**t to me any more! Raw or equiped I could care less, if you get your ass our there and put it on the line, you have my nod of respect. Lifting in a meet is a whole different animal. I have a much greater respect for this sport than I ever did before. Thad said I definitely earned some stripes today. I will post some video in the next week or so when I get it together. Until then, thanks. :hello:

MarcusWild
10-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Congrats on your first meet! It sounds like you're definitely hooked. Getting best lifter is just icing on the cake. Thad is a strong guy. Are you going to the APF meet with him next weekend?

Brian C
10-18-2009, 08:51 AM
Congrats Monk. Sounds like you had an awesome time despite the heat. I hope to join the ranks with my first full meet in the next couple months

Morgan McPherson
10-19-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys, not going to the APF meet. But we are hosting a meet at our gym in Camarillo, some time in December. I feel like I got into a car accident. I cannot believe how worked my body feels. I have not been this sore in a long time.

Clifford Gillmore
10-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Thanks guys, not going to the APF meet. But we are hosting a meet at our gym in Camarillo, some time in December. I feel like I got into a car accident. I cannot believe how worked my body feels. I have not been this sore in a long time.

I have the same feeling right now. Great Push/Pull total! Good stuff working with Thad too.