PDA

View Full Version : Genetics, can they destroy your goal?

CainMcCloud
10-18-2009, 11:31 AM
I have seen a lot of stuff about genetics on here, and I am wondering, if someone, me for example, wants to become not a huge body builder, but a pretty decent sized guy with good definition, and a low BF%, can genetics really destroy that? No matter my diet, my workout, can genetics really make all that count for nothing, or does genetics just make it a lot harder?

I am confused, cause I have seen some say, genetics rules over all, but then I have seen some say it is just a difficult thing to overcome. I am not trying to become the hulk, I am just wanting to cut down on fat, and get at a size that would make me proud of myself, and be a lot stronger.

~Edit~ Also, most of the men in my family are rather large (not hugely fat, but extra) and over 6 feet. I am 5"6, and well, I think I am stuck at this lol. Most are decent shape, most do military service so I mean, they can't be too bad out of shape lol. I am just kinda put down by this genetics stuff, cause I mean, I want to compete in Power Lifting someday, I don't want to work my butt off for a long time, and eat good food, and keep it in check, and then find out "sorry bad genetics, no way" lol. Thanks for any inputs, I respect yall (southern, sorry)'s opinions.

bass slayer
10-18-2009, 12:09 PM
No matter of your genetics, you can still get bigger and cut bodyfat, its just how big you can grow, or how fast you can grow muscle, and shapes of muscle is where genetics comes in. Forget about genetics and as long as you continue to lift, eat right, and sleep enough, you should be fine.

BULK_BOY
10-18-2009, 12:33 PM
I agree with Bass. Except that all depends on what one's goal is...........just saying.

Cain- with your body type your ROM is def. shorter hahaha - good for Bench Press ;)

Cheers

CainMcCloud
10-18-2009, 01:58 PM
I agree with Bass. Except that all depends on what one's goal is...........just saying.

Cain- with your body type your ROM is def. shorter hahaha - good for Bench Press ;)

Cheers

ROM? whats that lol.~Edit~ *Range of Motion?* Well, I do love the bench, it's top 3 favs (my all time favorite is probably gonna have to be Barbell Curls, idk why, just love em).

I just hope Genetics isn't going to mess me up and stop me, when I am really trying my hardest right now.

Sean S
10-18-2009, 02:10 PM
Just about anyone can become reasonably stronger or have a respectable amount of muscle and be in decent shape. If you want to look like Ronnie Coleman or Jay Cutler in contest shape or want to be the greatest powerlifter of all time, then genetics might limit you. It's also tough to really know what your genetic potential is without actually trying to get there. Most people are capable of more than they think, but they simply don't have discipline, dedication, or desire to maximize their potential.
About 99% of the time when people mention genetics, they are simply making excuses for being weak. I've never heard any intermediate level lifter or above complain about genetics. They are too busy trying to find ways to improve. As soon as you convince yourself that genetics are holding you back, your progress will stagnate, whether you've actually reached your genetic potential or not.

CainMcCloud
10-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Well, my dream body, and I don't think its a dream but it's so amazing, is Frank Columbu.

platypus
10-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Genetics is only the end-all-be-all if you're looking to compete for Mr. Olympia. For your goals, don't worry about it.

Off Road
10-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Genetics has the last word...period.

Genetics should never be an excuse though. With good lifting, resting, and eating, you can do very well for yourself. According to Stuart McRoberts, a guy with average genetics should be able to bench 300, squat 400, and deadlift 500. That same lifter should be able to reach 200 lbs bodyweight at around 10% bodyfat, with a height of around 5'-10".

As you can see these numbers are light years away from pro bodybuilders and elite power lifters. But those guys were dealt a great hand when it comes to genetics.

The best part of the whole thing is that you'll never know what kind of genetics you were dealt until you put in that consistent effort for years. You may be one of the lucky ones...

CainMcCloud
10-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Well, I hope so, but I don't know. I think being 5"6, with a 300 bench, 400 squat, and dead 500 would set me apart physically wise lol. I mean, so many men are willing to go to McDonald's, and eat 3 meals there, then go home and watch tv.

Off Road
10-21-2009, 08:05 PM
300/400/500 would definately set you apart from the common man and 95% of all the men that go to gyms.

CainMcCloud
10-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Well, I'll do it. I don't care if someone says my body type can't do it, their little crap can go away. I mean no offense, but I would prefer to push myself and make progress then quit at any weight. I don't know how I'd quit going higher.

drew
10-22-2009, 05:51 AM
Genetics: Providing lazy people with an excuse for failure since 1850.

Polish Hammer
10-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I mean, so many men are willing to go to McDonald's, and eat 3 meals there, then go home and watch tv.

Or they go to the gym and get jacked.

rbtrout
10-22-2009, 11:00 AM
I used to think that I couldn't ever get big because of my genetics. I went through high school at 6' tall and 125#. I always wanted to be 185# and thought that was the ticket. Now I average about 260 (16-17% bf). You can do it. Like Bass said, ignore all the genetics stuff and just lift hard and heavy, eat alot and sleep. You'll get there.

Genetics does play a role, but you can certainly change things quite a bit until you hit your genetic potential (most of us never will).

CainMcCloud
10-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Well, I am ready to workout lol. SS is so short though, but it's rather intense, and I'm on week 1 lol. I gotta admit, I know for a fact it is going to get rough in 2-3 weeks when I am reaching points I've never done. Can't wait though.

Skalami
10-23-2009, 07:51 AM
you plateu, you switch things up your body stretches beyond what its used to and struggles being at that weight size. Eventually it gets used to it and you move up. I used to be a chunker up till about 15. Did a crash diet when i hit 16 been relatively skinny ever since now i have a hard time putting on weight.