PDA

View Full Version : Meal-Replacements VS. Real Food.. Opinions?

MonStar
04-26-2002, 01:18 PM
I am curious what you here @ WBB think about MRPs vs. real food? What are the pros and cons of both and overall what would you all recommend to make up the majority of meals? I usually stick to ONE or 2 at the very most MRPs per day. Try to keep it down to one, and its always my first meal of the day. :cool::cool:

MS

YatesNightBlade
04-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Real food .... winner everytime.

MonStar
04-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Yates-
Really? Thats pretty much what I thought but what is the reason? Like is there some specific reason why? Just more natural or what?

MS

YatesNightBlade
04-26-2002, 02:08 PM
Yeah .... more substance. A MRP does not have all the nutriants need for growth. Tuna, Chicken, eggs etc ....all have different levels of Aminos in them, thats the reason you should very each meal.

Having 2 sources of protein is ideal ... but not always convinent. Check out Gino's Journel. What a guy, Hairy Pie.

Blood&Iron
04-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Really, the source of the protein, provided it is of sufficiently high quality is not going to matter. Yes, there are slight differences in amino levels from one protein source to another, but they difference in BV, etc of chicken to egg to casein is so small it is irrelevant. Much more important is overall quantity. MRPs are fine. The are, however, several drawbacks to MRPS.
1)Most of them use maltodextrin as the carb-source--which while technically a complex carb, is pretty similar in its effects on your body to sugar.
2)They are, for the most part, completely devoid of fiber, phytonutrients, etc.
3)Make sure your MRP is primarily casein, as whey is oxidized so rapidly in the liver it does not keep blood amino acids elevated as real food does.
4)They aren't very filling, and may do little to help curb appetite.
5)They don't typically contain very much fat, which is partially responsible for point 4, and leads to a heightened glucose/insulin response. I usually eat some nuts with/30min prior, for this reason.

Personally, I use 1-2 MRPs a day. I like VPX's MRPs(Although, in general they're a sh*t company) because they use ground flax/oat bran/etc as their carb source, have quite a bit of fiber(7.5g), and are mostly casein. I always eat some nuts or something with them as well for added fat.

Tryska
04-26-2002, 02:59 PM
excellent points on the downsides of MRPs B&I. As yates said, real food blows MRPs out of the water, simply because they provide more then just a certain amoung of protein.

which i guess is essentally B&Is point as well. I don't like the idea of whey and malto as sources for realy nutrition one way or the other these days tho.

if you must for convenience sake go for it, but otherwise go with real nutrtition.

Alex.V
04-26-2002, 03:03 PM
Real food is superior because of the following:

-Low GI carb sources
-Fiber
-trace nutrients

In all other respects, the ratio of aminos don't necessarily matter. Any complete protein is FINE to base your diet off of. In fact, even incomplete proteins often contain every amino acid, complete proteins are named as such because of the fairly consistent amino ratio they have.

If I had the time to drink a glass of whey every hour (including at night), I would see no need to bother with other sources of protein.

MonStar
04-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Thanks a lot guys for the replies - Ill definitely keep this in mind from now on and limit my MRP consumption to 1 per day. Again B&I, Belial, Yates, Tryska, all awesome posts. :thumbup::thumbup:

MS

body
04-27-2002, 03:13 AM
techincally mrp are real food, your body does it not know the difference.

to get the above benefits of the food, you will have to eat a combination of foods not just eg chicken by it self.

MRP may not be the best, but there are many foods that are far worse than MRP eg mars bar.

use a mrp if you like them in a well balanced diet which includes lots of other foods to get a complete nutritional intake.

RippedUp
04-30-2002, 03:13 AM
When I want a protein drink as a meal, I just mix 45g of a multi blend protein with skim milk, a few almonds & walnuts (good source of fat+fibre) and a little bit of psyllium husks fibre. Blend all and stick in the freezer for a little while, then eat with a spoon.

High protein
Moderate fat
Some carbs from the milk
Added fibre from nuts/psyllium

and good for ya'

(also the nuts when blended give like chunks in the shake that you eat - tastes great)

LiftAgain
04-30-2002, 04:06 AM
Real food is = :thumbup:

Monster Muscle
05-01-2002, 01:32 AM
soo.....when I come home after a tuff workout.....should I drink a filling protein shake first??? OR make food? such as tuna, eggs, chickin with veggies? THEN drink the protein shake after? which one first?

YatesNightBlade
05-01-2002, 02:58 AM
Shake ... straight away. Food after an 90 mins or so.

the doc
05-01-2002, 12:49 PM
try this MRP- that has some real food in it

1 cup oats
1-2 scoops of protein, either hard boiled eggs, tuna, or protein powder
1-2 tbsp olive or flax oil
1-2 cups milk

I make mine with powder but you could be hardcore and use one or the food sources listed