PDA

View Full Version : Can't feel it in hams or glutes with Deadlifts...

imc_1121
10-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Whenever I do any type of deadlift, I find it very hard to really feel it in my hams and glutes... I barely feel it there and my lower back always ends smoked.
Itīs really annoying, I have problems feeling it in my hams and glutes even with romanian deads or sumo..
Any tips or suggestions of what I could do to fix this problem??

Mark Bell
10-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Lighter weights, better form, more reps.
Find a program that has some reps to it.
Or just even make up your own. Try 5x5 with 55% then add 5% each week for a month......Just a total guess on the percents but it should feel light enough to re-enforce your form.
Watch a newbie grab the bar for a bench. What will help them the most? To just go heavy all the time? No way they need to know how to contract there muscles.....and blah blah blah...

It's all about the pump!

MarcusWild
10-20-2009, 12:24 AM
I'll guess your hamstrings are weak, so they aren't doing much work. Your lower back is sore because it's over compensating for them. You need to do movements that isolate your hamstrings more.

thewicked
10-20-2009, 12:45 AM
a video of your form would help..

i've had the same problem for YEARS...

finally learned to deadlift properly and now all I feel it is in my ass and no where else.

SEOINAGE
10-20-2009, 01:44 AM
a video of your form would help..

i've had the same problem for YEARS...

finally learned to deadlift properly and now all I feel it is in my ass and no where else.

My ass is huge, deadlift squats, everything seams to hit it hard.

Lones Green
10-20-2009, 03:21 AM
I'd be willing to bet your butt comes up right before you pull

imc_1121
10-20-2009, 04:00 PM

What do you mean?

Lones Green
10-20-2009, 04:05 PM
What do you mean?

I really don't know how else to phrase it, haha

You're about to pull, and you've got your butt down nice and low, and right before you pull, or at the very beginning of the pull, your butt goes from nice and low to up in the air, and your lower back is left doing all the work - not the hams and glutes.

If you get your butt low then snap your glutes at the top you'll be incorporating much more hams, hips, and glutes.

This is mostly a weakness in those areas. Concentrate on keeping your butt down when you start to pull, and then snapping your glutes forward at the top. Video can help you out a lot in this case.

You may be weaker with this form in the beginning, but once you strengthen the muscles of the hams and glutes and get them used to the movement, your pull will shoot off. You've got much more meat there to use than in the lower back.

This is a super common problem, so don't feel bad.

If you got video, it'd be a lot easier to diagnose. This is just my best guess, I could be totally wrong. Not sure what else it would be though.

Polish Hammer
10-20-2009, 04:17 PM
If you want to "feel it" in your hams and glutes, do some pull thru's. Personally, the day after I deadlift I feel it from my neck to my feet. Id follow Mark and Lones suggestions of getting in more reps for added stimulation and blood flow, as well as look at your technique. Make a video.

endymion88
10-20-2009, 05:01 PM
personally all i feel pulls in is my mid to upper back...

jbrin0tk
10-20-2009, 05:22 PM

This.

slashkills
10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
I think lones advice is spot on.

If you could post a video of your form there are a lot of knowledgeable dudes on the site who could take care of your problem a lot easier. If you cant get a vid watch vids. Go on youtube and search westside or elitefts and look for deadlift vids. Notice how before the pull their backs are straight and hips are low. When you pull stay in that position and dont shoot your hips up right before the bar leaves the ground.

imc_1121
10-23-2009, 11:18 PM
I really don't know how else to phrase it, haha

You're about to pull, and you've got your butt down nice and low, and right before you pull, or at the very beginning of the pull, your butt goes from nice and low to up in the air, and your lower back is left doing all the work - not the hams and glutes.

If you get your butt low then snap your glutes at the top you'll be incorporating much more hams, hips, and glutes.

This is mostly a weakness in those areas. Concentrate on keeping your butt down when you start to pull, and then snapping your glutes forward at the top. Video can help you out a lot in this case.

You may be weaker with this form in the beginning, but once you strengthen the muscles of the hams and glutes and get them used to the movement, your pull will shoot off. You've got much more meat there to use than in the lower back.

This is a super common problem, so don't feel bad.

If you got video, it'd be a lot easier to diagnose. This is just my best guess, I could be totally wrong. Not sure what else it would be though.

So how should I do the initial pull while keeping my butt low?
I'm gonna try doing this today.. If I still don't feel it on glutes/hams I'll post video.

Lones Green
10-24-2009, 09:17 AM
So how should I do the initial pull while keeping my butt low?
I'm gonna try doing this today.. If I still don't feel it on glutes/hams I'll post video.

Think about pulling back, and keeping your body back instead of pulling up

imc_1121
10-24-2009, 10:08 AM

Should I also lower my hips more? I read that the lower the hips, the less lower back recruitment, is this true?

ScottYard
10-24-2009, 11:21 AM
It could be you are locking you legs out too soon and putting all the load on your back at lockout. Take some vids and see what your doing. post them here as well so we can see whats going on.

imc_1121
10-31-2009, 12:15 AM

After 3 sessions of practice I'm starting to get the hang of the correct technique, well at least that's what I think, because last time I did deadlifts I felt it for the first time on my hams, glutes(specially here), quads a little bit and even in my abs (wtf?).
I think I've got the pulling part down.
Now I was wondering is the descent phase important? Is there anything I should remember to do? (like the keeping the butt down part from the ascent).
I saw some videos where the descent is done like a romanian or SLDL and when it gets past knees they like squat it down. Is this what I should be doing?

Lones Green
10-31-2009, 07:12 AM
After 3 sessions of practice I'm starting to get the hang of the correct technique, well at least that's what I think, because last time I did deadlifts I felt it for the first time on my hams, glutes(specially here), quads a little bit and even in my abs (wtf?).
I think I've got the pulling part down.
Now I was wondering is the descent phase important? Is there anything I should remember to do? (like the keeping the butt down part from the ascent).
I saw some videos where the descent is done like a romanian or SLDL and when it gets past knees they like squat it down. Is this what I should be doing?

Dude, take video. You have Scott Yard, who pulls 750 raw, willing to look at your technique.

Get video

imc_1121
10-31-2009, 11:57 PM
Dude, take video. You have Scott Yard, who pulls 750 raw, willing to look at your technique.

Get video

Sorry for uploading the videos late. I had to borrow a camera.

First video: Done with warmup weight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GiHl7jxPY

Second video: My last set. Here's where my form suffered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKFzY6uB7iA

dynamo
11-02-2009, 11:09 AM
stick your butt out and arch your back.

BULK_BOY
11-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Also, try some mental imaging. Think of your legs/ Glutes doing the work. Visualize THEM doing the work. Not the lower back. Focus grasshopper. Focus.

Oh ya, keep the butt down. hahaha

scott rowe
11-03-2009, 06:42 AM
it looks like ur whole body moves at once. the first thing is throw the head. then throw the hips. sit back as far as you can. build a homemade rev hyper to. i worked on my deadlift a whole year with those things and it went up a hundred pounds. good luck

Beefcaker
11-03-2009, 09:50 AM
Arch your back more, and push your hips through. Your form isn't really that bad for just starting out. You don't need to set it down so carefully. Pull it back, and then just control the drop.

PS - Why are you trying to "feel it"? Are you trying to be a bodybuilder or a powerlifter?

From a powerlifting perspective, if you don't feel it in whatever muscles, then one of two things are happening: either you are weak in other areas and those areas are feeling the work, or you are not engaging muscles correctly. It is alot harder to engage muscles when they aren't large yet.

imc_1121
11-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Bodybuilding will be my goal, but I posted on the powerlifting board because I know people here know more about form regarding a lift like the deadlift.

dynamo
11-04-2009, 02:11 PM
Bodybuilding will be my goal, but I posted on the powerlifting board because I know people here know more about form regarding a lift like the deadlift.

just remember form trumps weight. Hell you can find old videos of jay cutler when he was 17-18 and doing BB shows and he talks about how he never benched more than 225 but his form was "real strict" as he put it. Of course that had to be close 20 years ago. When he looked normal.

Lones Green
11-06-2009, 06:18 AM
Yeah, your form really isn't terrible right now. You aren't arching to well though.

Just think about grabbing the bar, and arching hard. Pull your butt back and down and drive the bar off the floor with your heels, and then move your glutes forward for the lockout.

Fuzzy
11-06-2009, 05:16 PM
You can't just go through a motion, you have to actively recruit and use the muscles in question. YOu have to actually conciously contract your glutes through out the movement, to put the strain on them, it's a mind muscle tihng that doesn't happen accidentally.

WHen I squat I try to get my hips through as fast as possible by squuezing the gluts hard, as with deadlifts.

BodyByGamma
11-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Whenever I do any type of deadlift, I find it very hard to really feel it in my hams and glutes... I barely feel it there and my lower back always ends smoked.
Itīs really annoying, I have problems feeling it in my hams and glutes even with romanian deads or sumo..
Any tips or suggestions of what I could do to fix this problem??

If you want to strengthen your hamstrings do Stiff legged good mornings from chain suspensions, reverse hypers, hyper extensions, Hang Romanian deficit deadlifts from a platform.

Lower the weight focus on form and high reps to feel the contractions, as you start feeling it weekly lower the reps,higher the weight, but personally if you are power lifting you should feel a heavy deadlift everywhere and mainly your upper back by the scapula's.

And after watching your video your too upright and arched. Your glutes are too low and pop up before you engage the lift. Your position works for sumo but not for conventional. Your butt shouldn't pop up and move at all. Also your head is way to up and backwards, you should be looking at a point in front of you comfortably and staying focused on it.

When you deadlift conventional contrast to popular belief you should look like this : <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VZOlFo0Q1U&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8VZOlFo0Q1U&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Fuzzy
11-06-2009, 10:04 PM
If y.

When you deadlift conventional contrast to popular belief you should look like this :BE]

Eeeeeeh... no. Do not deadlift like this. K himself said he deadlifted with a totally arched back for many years, and found the rounder upper back technique was the only way to break through his plateau. This is a very experienced pulling style that is done conciously. He can keep his lower back tight and safe whilst rounding the upper back, it works for him.

Get a relatively inexperienced lifter to do it and he'll pop a disk when the weight gets heavy. Keep the chest up, lower back arched and the upper back in a moderately tight position.

Lones Green
11-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Eeeeeeh... no. Do not deadlift like this. K himself said he deadlifted with a totally arched back for many years, and found the rounder upper back technique was the only way to break through his plateau. This is a very experienced pulling style that is done conciously. He can keep his lower back tight and safe whilst rounding the upper back, it works for him.

Get a relatively inexperienced lifter to do it and he'll pop a disk when the weight gets heavy. Keep the chest up, lower back arched and the upper back in a moderately tight position.

Exactly. Mentioning Konstantinovs in a thread made by a beginner learning how to deadlift is not the best idea, I don't think.

Plus this guy is a bodybuilder as well

BodyByGamma
11-11-2009, 12:36 AM
Exactly. Mentioning Konstantinovs in a thread made by a beginner learning how to deadlift is not the best idea, I don't think.

Plus this guy is a bodybuilder as well

Good point Lones X Edge,if the guy is a body builder,don't want someone getting hurt dead-lifting.

But if you want to deadlift heavy this is the way to go, but it needs to be learned and is not for anyone but powerlifters and strongman to do and mess with, since a valid point has been mentioned. You can check this article for a better idea of deadlift set up.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/mark_rippetoe2.htm

If you check this article out and look how Brad Gilligham he also pulls with a flat back the only difference is he uses a hook grip and keeps his head higher up but its more or less the same placement.

Just to explain a bit more higher upright stances only work for sumo since your legs more spaced out to the side and your shins arent hitting the bar causing your butt to pop up.Trick with deadlifting is not to get your butt down, but to keep it down but if :

your a body builder then stick to body builder movements to target the hamstrings,and if your deadlifting do Romanian deadlifts as a safer alternative that will better target the hammys. No need risking injury on a dangerous lift.