PDA

View Full Version : Eating Junkfood But Staying In A Caloric Deficient = Fat Loss.. ?

MonStar
04-26-2002, 01:41 PM
I was thinking about this earlier and MarshallPenn was discussing this with me in a different thread. If you stay under your caloric limits for fat-loss, lets just say 10-12 x your bodyweight, but eat all junk like fast food, candy, etc. Would you still lose fat?

What about this... (1) Would / could you lose fat at all this way? (2) Would you lose more or less than eating clean foods like complex carbs and lean proteins? Opinions?

MS

YatesNightBlade
04-26-2002, 01:47 PM
Other factors come into play here ....... Insulin response .... Sodium ...etc etc.

MonStar
04-26-2002, 01:50 PM
Yates-
So I am going to take it that you would say that clean food is the way to go?

MS

MarshallPenn
04-26-2002, 01:57 PM
What I said was you could eat 2000 cals a day of Taco Bell and stay lean.

Candy would f with your insulin response, sodium would cause you to retain water.

If you ate only candy and no protein or fats, you would seriously screw yourself up.

MonStar
04-26-2002, 02:00 PM
Yeah I know but even 2000 calories worth of Taco Bell would seem hard to believe that I could lose fat like that ya know? Other opinions? Why doesnt everyone just go on a low-cal fast food diet then for fat-loss?

MS

MarshallPenn
04-26-2002, 02:02 PM
That guy did - the Subway dude - what was his name? Jarred someone or another.

Beisdes, your the one who lost 40 pounds eating hot wings and pepperoni!

YatesNightBlade
04-26-2002, 02:04 PM
yes. Why eat sh!t when you could be eating something thats gonna stimulate muscle growth ..... like quality protien. You might lose weight, but you'd also lose muscle mass.

MarshallPenn
04-26-2002, 02:07 PM
Yates - how do you consider the ground meat in a Taco not quality protein?

Jane
04-26-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by MonStar
Yeah I know but even 2000 calories worth of Taco Bell would seem hard to believe that I could lose fat like that ya know? Other opinions? Why doesnt everyone just go on a low-cal fast food diet then for fat-loss?

MS

Fast food tends to be calorically dense, so you would have less volume of food for the same calories. When you're in a caloric defecit, eating in this way would probably make you hungry quite often. Although a lot of people do this very thing. I know tons of girls that will have like, chocolate chip cookies for lunch while I have my sandwich and whatnot and they stay the same weight if not lose some. They are also probably starving two hours later, but if they ignore that until dinner they can keep a caloric defecit for the day despite eating junk. Also, like Yates said, not getting enough protein could cause you to lose muscle and the insulin spikes might slow down your fat loss a little. However, you could take a day like Sunday when you wake up late and go to bed at a reasonable hour and plan maintenance calories worth of Taco Bell and such. Or you could have Taco Bell for lunch every other day. It all works out if you plan correctly and don't do it on a daily basis.

YatesNightBlade
04-26-2002, 02:10 PM
we don't have Taco here in England, but if it anything like a take away junk food place .. then I expect it to be full of fat. If you on a calorie controlled diet the fat will leave less calories for other nutirants like carbs ...... and Protein. Make sense ?

Jane
04-26-2002, 02:12 PM
Actually Taco Bell and other fast food places have some relatively mild choices, like a grilled chicken sandwich or one or two soft tacos that have a relatively isocaloric mix of nutrients. Depends on what you get and how much you get of it.

Blood&Iron
04-26-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by MarshallPenn
Yates - how do you consider the ground meat in a Taco not quality protein?
Well according to someone I know who worked there, the beef they use is labelled 'grade F'(Or something similarly ridiculous) How else could they be selling a beef burrito for like 99 cents(Or whatever it costs these days.) A can of Alpo costs like $3. Probably it's cow testicles and head shavings. When I do go to Taco Bell I stick with the chicken, which is actually whole pieces of meat and costs much more. Doesn't really make a nutritional difference, but still not something I would eat.

MarshallPenn
Yates - no argument that if you are eating a poor macronutrient breakdown, you are in for trouble. That's not what I'm saying. You can ceratinly follow the isocaloric diet Monstar is eating and eat plenty of fast food and pizza. The foods that he likes and craves (and deprives himself of).

Like Jane said, it's about planning and making the right choices. Personally I prefer organic food, free-range etc. But for our buddy Monstar, he has a certain, shall we say love, for the junk food.

ElPietro
Chicken burrito supreme baby! :D

MarshallPenn
04-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron

Well according to someone I know who worked there, the beef they use is labelled 'grade F'(Or something similarly ridiculous) How else could they be selling a beef burrito for like 99 cents(Or whatever it costs these days.) A can of Alpo costs like $3. Probably it's cow testicles and head shavings. When I do go to Taco Bell I stick with the chicken, which is actually whole pieces of meat and costs much more. Doesn't really make a nutritional difference, but still not something I would eat.

B&I - No doubt it's not a quality FOOD. That's why I don't touch the stuff.

Blood&Iron
04-26-2002, 02:21 PM
You'd still lose weight, but health-wise I don't think it'd be a very good idea. How about moderation? Maybe ONE burrito at Taco Bell or a slice or two of pizza and just make sure it fits within the macronutrient/calorie guidelines you set for yourself. This is pretty much what I do. I don't do it all that often, but if I really want a slice of pizza, I'll have it. This way I don't really feel all that deprived and am much less prone to the sort of binges, to which you seem to fall prey.

Jane
04-26-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Blood&Iron
You'd still lose weight, but health-wise I don't think it'd be a very good idea. How about moderation? Maybe ONE burrito at Taco Bell or a slice or two of pizza and just make sure it fits within the macronutrient/calorie guidelines you set for yourself. This is pretty much what I do. I don't do it all that often, but if I really want a slice of pizza, I'll have it.

Yup, that's what I'm saying. :)

MarshallPenn
04-26-2002, 02:26 PM
Looking forward to my post-workout large pizza tonight!

ElPietro
04-26-2002, 02:36 PM
You could have one chicken burrito surpeme and one chicken soft taco and that would be 600 cals with 68g of carbs, 33g protein and 23g of fat of which 8.5 would be saturated.

It's also pretty filling and I'd say on a 2000-3000 calorie diet wouldn't be a bad choice to preserve sanity maybe once or twice a week.

The_Chicken_Daddy
04-27-2002, 04:28 AM
Calories is one thing, but you also gotta consider the hormonal response, the thermodynamics of the food, the quality, saiety, trans-fats, lack of vits and minerals etc...

All in all, a fast food diet is not productive and doesn't promote optimal health.

Not to mention that your in-gym performance would suffer and degrade.

=w=
04-27-2002, 06:26 AM
In the presence of adequate protein and EFA's the rest of the make up of your diet is not as important as many make it out to be (me included).

Bobarell
04-27-2002, 08:39 AM
My dad is over 300 fat lbs and he only eats one meal a day. I don't think it even equals 3000 cals. Most fast food is going to be too high in calories to even think about eating if you are trying to keep your meals at a reasonable and equal size through out the day.

Also, I worked at both Taco Bell and McDonalds. I personally would never eat at another one of these places again. I know what happens to the food wether intentional or not and if I even started you guys would not eat there either.

If you ask than I will tell, but please don't ask. I do not recommend eating at FF restaurants unless you are watching them make it.......some Taco Bells/Subway and other small burger joints. DON'T EVER EAT BREAKFAST AT MCDONALDS!!!!!!!!!

Jane
04-27-2002, 08:43 AM
Now I'm all sorts of strangely curious. Could you pm me?

MonStar
04-27-2002, 08:50 AM
I am really confused now also. Whats the bottom line to this topic? Is it possible or now. I am going to go with NOT but I am really confused... :(:(

MS

Alex.V
04-27-2002, 08:59 AM
It IS possible. Believe me. I lost quite a bit of weight eating nothing but burritos and Chinese food (this was a while ago). I felt like crap, but it's really about calories in vs. calories out. (At least, to a certain extent.)

MonStar
04-27-2002, 09:02 AM
Okay so its possible. Does that mean that its the best way to go? I would think clean foods are a much better choice.

MS

Jane
04-27-2002, 09:05 AM
They ARE a better choice, in terms of hormonal response, satiety, muscle preservation, etc, like CD said.

But it is possible to incorporate "junk food" into your plan a couple times a week without it making much of a difference.

Bobarell
04-27-2002, 09:15 AM
Jane, I pm'd you

I personally do one Burger and frie meal on my refeed day. I keeps the cravings away. Sometimes I have to go and get some italian food with my wife as well, but that is always on my refeed day and it is only one meal that day

MarshallPenn
04-27-2002, 01:01 PM
Monstar - I've said it before. Expend more than you take in, you'll lose weight. You did it quite successfully with the junk you were eating on NHE. Healthwise, there is a lot of fast food that just isn't that good for you, but the candy, gatorade, equal, sugar-free MRP's etc. that you take in are far worse for your overall health than the fast food. So eat your fast food every day and don't worry about.

One day, if you really want to optimize your health, diet is the way to do it.

Jane
04-27-2002, 01:11 PM
I understand what you're saying MP, but candy isn't much different from a sugar laden burger bun. And I don't know what is so wrong about equal that is worse than deep fried french fries.

In other words, Monstar, there is never going to be the perfect of all perfection diet, and there are lots of options out there, and you can achieve the same goals in various ways. Just plan your macros, try to get enough good quality stuff, and you don't have to shy away from a mcdonalds grilled chicken burger lunch or a taco soft shell lunch every day of the week.

MarshallPenn
04-27-2002, 07:52 PM
Jane - I agree completely. I'm trying to get him to eat more fast food! He loves the stuff.

Equal = cancer.

Jane
04-27-2002, 07:59 PM
Only in rats. :D

unev_en
04-27-2002, 09:40 PM
And only in completely disproportional amounts.

MonStar
04-27-2002, 11:42 PM
Okay now I understand more. Thanks for your help everyone. :cool::cool:

MS