PDA

View Full Version : Bigger, Stronger, Fatter

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

-JM-
10-20-2009, 09:00 AM
Basically, I am starting a new log since all I did was moan and complain in the last one.

I have my first meet (unequipped) on Dec 5th and at the moment it is going to take a miracle to break 1300. I will be using an ME/DE upper lower split for the run up.

DE Bench tonight........

brihead301
10-20-2009, 09:57 AM
It's cool, you have officially left the land of vag. You are allowed to start a new journal!

Sidior
10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
No moaning or complaining in this one then? I dunno how I feel about that....

Ahhh well, gl with the new log and the premeet training!

Pete22
10-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Basically, I am starting a new log since all I did was moan and complain in the last one.

Damn... I think I need a new log too then...

-JM-
10-20-2009, 01:05 PM
It's cool, you have officially left the land of vag. You are allowed to start a new journal!

LMAO...Thanks man, that means a lot actually.

No moaning or complaining in this one then? I dunno how I feel about that....

Ahhh well, gl with the new log and the premeet training!

Cheers Dave! weeeeelll, maybe a wee bit a bitchin' here and there.

Damn... I think I need a new log too then...

Ha ha, maybe I meant excuses lol.

Thanks a lot fellers.

borracho
10-20-2009, 01:16 PM

The only reason I never posted in your last journal is cause I was waiting for you to quit your bitching...sooo, I am hesitantly gonna start checking this one out. :D

Just kidding, well..about the bitching...GL with the 1300 bud!

Barbaccio
10-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I'd like to lodge a complaint about your noncomplaining. Although I think you should've stuck with the old log till your meet and THEN switched.

-JM-
10-20-2009, 01:31 PM
The only reason I never posted in your last journal is cause I was waiting for you to quit your bitching...sooo, I am hesitantly gonna start checking this one out. :D

Just kidding, well..about the bitching...GL with the 1300 bud!

Ha ha thanks man. I am not being tempted down the road of negativity here. No point trying.....:)

I'd like to lodge a complaint about your noncomplaining. Although I think you should've stuck with the old log till your meet and THEN switched.

Your complaint has been duly noted.

.......and I KNEW you would say that about sticking with the 531 and then switching afterwards. What I have planned out isnt too big of a shift. I just think with two heavy days and two DE days will be better than what was 4 heavy days with the 531.

-JM-
10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
-DE Bench-

stretching and rolling

DE Bench

180x3 (x8) 3 grips

3 Board
w/ 6" foam

225x3
270x3
290x3

DB Rear Laterals

4x10

H Rolls

3x10

Rope Pressdowns/Staright Bar Curls

3x15 each

- - - -

All good here.:D

Barbaccio
10-20-2009, 04:36 PM
It was working. You were getting stronger. What is going to work better than that? You're falling into a trap that you shouldn't. Changing stuff that shouldn't be. I'm not hoping you fail, quite the opposite, but I fell into that trap for a long time too and wish I hadn't. Either way, I'll still stop in occasionally to be my usual gruff self.

Coke
10-20-2009, 05:25 PM
Surprised to see the new journal, lol - all is well that ends well man but you've been doing damn good all along.

Dingus
10-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I would listen to Tone on this one, remember last time you switched? Either will work if you're training hard though so good luck.

-JM-
10-21-2009, 04:44 AM
It was working. You were getting stronger. What is going to work better than that? You're falling into a trap that you shouldn't. Changing stuff that shouldn't be. I'm not hoping you fail, quite the opposite, but I fell into that trap for a long time too and wish I hadn't. Either way, I'll still stop in occasionally to be my usual gruff self.

Thanks Tone. I truly appreciate your support and telling me how it is. I am going with my instinct on this one in that I need to handle heavier weights. I also want to capitalise on recovery time. I felt like I had been hit by a train last sunday.

Surprised to see the new journal, lol - all is well that ends well man but you've been doing damn good all along.

Ha thanks Coke. Kind words man, much appreciated.

I would listen to Tone on this one, remember last time you switched? Either will work if you're training hard though so good luck.

Dingus thanks man. I think you also highlighted a key point in that as long as I am busting my balls I should be grand.

EatMyWay2TheTop
10-21-2009, 05:52 AM
I don't appreciate you stealing my gimmick of changing routines every week :tuttut:

More seriously good luck with the new plan

-JM-
10-21-2009, 06:37 AM
I don't appreciate you stealing my gimmick of changing routines every week :tuttut:

More seriously good luck with the new plan

Ha ha....I hope this decision doesnt **** me up.

brihead301
10-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Why did you decide to change? Was the slow progression from the 5/3/1 just boring or something? I also feel like I could be using much heavier weights, but I'm being patient and letting the program increase the weights slowly and steadily for me hopefully to eventually surpass where I would be at if I were to try to be more agressive in my loading (if that makes any sense to you).

-JM-
10-21-2009, 07:17 AM
-ME Squat/Deadlift-

stretching

Box Squat
parallel
135x5
175x5
225x5
265x3
305x2
335x1 PR (+15lbs)
355x1 PR (+40lbs) edit: (+35lbs):clown:

Wide Stance Arched Back GMs

135x10
155x10
175x10

Hanging Leg Raises

4x10

- - - -

Decent day. I would like to think had a bit more left on the squats.

-JM-
10-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Why did you decide to change? Was the slow progression from the 5/3/1 just boring or something? I also feel like I could be using much heavier weights, but I'm being patient and letting the program increase the weights slowly and steadily for me hopefully to eventually surpass where I would be at if I were to try to be more agressive in my loading (if that makes any sense to you).

No, I love 531 and I have made great gains on it. I just want to get used to heavier weights over the next 6 weeks. Patience is definately the key for 531 however. I expect to go back to it at some stage.

Coke
10-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Huge jump on the box squats, way to raise up!!

Pete22
10-21-2009, 10:47 AM
335x1 PR (+15lbs)
355x1 PR (+40lbs)

Jeeze... strong PRs!

borracho
10-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Nice box squat PR bud...355 is awesome!

Kiaran
10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
Sometimes its nice to start a fresh log. Does a lot psychologically. Have a good time back on the Westside template. Eat those PRs up and when you're ready, come on back to the 5/3/1. I do think you can still get heavy training on 5/3/1 though. I've recently adjusted my numbers to be more aggressive with it and keep things closer to 5, 3 and 1 reps during the cycle. When I top out, I top out, oh well. I will just adjust numbers again at that point but I hate high rep **** and am like you in that I enjoy working with the heavier loads to push the limits. BTW, awesome box squatting, bro!

-JM-
10-23-2009, 03:33 AM
Huge jump on the box squats, way to raise up!!

Cheers Coke!

Jeeze... strong PRs!

Thanks Pete! I suppose the 355 was only a 20lb PR since I just did 335. Ha ha. Im a douche.

Nice box squat PR bud...355 is awesome!

Thanks a lot duder!

Sometimes its nice to start a fresh log. Does a lot psychologically. Have a good time back on the Westside template. Eat those PRs up and when you're ready, come on back to the 5/3/1. I do think you can still get heavy training on 5/3/1 though. I've recently adjusted my numbers to be more aggressive with it and keep things closer to 5, 3 and 1 reps during the cycle. When I top out, I top out, oh well. I will just adjust numbers again at that point but I hate high rep **** and am like you in that I enjoy working with the heavier loads to push the limits. BTW, awesome box squatting, bro!

That is my plan K. I will venture back to 531 but hopefully not as quickly as last time ha ha! What you mentioned about keeping the reps closer to the prescribed was my other option. Both should work as long as the efforts are there. Thanks for the props too K.

-JM-
10-23-2009, 06:56 AM
-ME Toothache-

Root canal treatment on one of my wisdom teeth for 1h20m yesterday. Good times.

I got an infection that peaked on wednesday evening. Didnt eat anything on Wednesday and only a few protein shakes yesterday. My two year old could squat more than me right now. Gonna pack down as much food as possible today and hopefully train tomorrow.

brihead301
10-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Awesome squatting man! 355 is no joke!!!! Yikes, I've never had root canal. Hopefully I never have to either....it doesn't sound like much fun. You'll be back in no time though.

borracho
10-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Aye...****ty about the dental deal bud..hope it gets better soon so you can resume eating normal foods!!

ZenMonkey
10-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Nice squats! .... sorry to hear about the root canal. At least you can eat tday!

-JM-
10-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Awesome squatting man! 355 is no joke!!!! Yikes, I've never had root canal. Hopefully I never have to either....it doesn't sound like much fun. You'll be back in no time though.

Thanks Bri. RC Treatment is teh suck. Not hell exactly though, I mean there are easily a million worse things. I hope to lift tomorrow!

Aye...****ty about the dental deal bud..hope it gets better soon so you can resume eating normal foods!!

Oh yeah, I am back at the food big time. Excuse to eat anything and everything today!

Nice squats! .... sorry to hear about the root canal. At least you can eat tday!

Cheers Zen! That was my 2nd RC and I can tell you they dont get any better.

- - - -

So far today I have had...

16oz bowl of oatmeal
2 sausages w/ 2 slices wholemeal bread
2 scoops whey w/milk
2 hot'n'spicy breaded chicken breasts w/foot long white sub
3 slices stuffed crust 10" pizza
box of fresh baked pretzel twists :drooling:
1 cajun grilled chicken breast w/hotdog roll
300ml chocolate/vanilla protein pudding made w/ 'Angel Delight' & 2 scoops whey
1 rack of BBQ ribs (ready in another 1.5 hours)
+ anything else I can manage.

I am going to get an early night I think. **** I am old..

This is not my typical diet btw...bummer.

-JM-
10-24-2009, 03:22 PM
-ME Bench-

5 min stat bike

CG Bench
~17'' grip
warm ups x3
185x3
205x3
225x3
235x1
245x1
255x1 flew up
265x0 went way back towards my face and dumped on the rack

Chins
30 reps over 5 sets (3 wide grip, 2 palms facing)

High Inc DB

60sx10
70sx10
75sx10
80sx10

Straight Arm Pulldowns

4x10

- - - -

As good as can be expected after the week just passed with toothache et al. It will take a few days to recover properly after a couple nights missed sleep, a couple days of hardly any food and the amount of pain killers I ate. 265 should not have been a problem. In fact I probably should have taken it again. Ah well. :)

-JM-
10-25-2009, 10:20 AM
-DE Squat/Deadlift-

Stat bike & Stretching

Box Squat (12")

wu x3
225x2 (x10)

Deadlift (narrow conv)

wu x3
330x1 (x10)

45* Back Raises

BWx15
+20lbsx15 (x2)

DB Step Ups

30sx15
35sx15

Calves

4x15

- - - -

Felt like ass. Things can only get better.

Coke
10-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Stepping to it no matter what, that's great.

mattburns
10-26-2009, 03:50 PM
Totally missed the log change and switch of routine.

Looking well though, toothache sounds crappy. The worst injury is one that prevents eating!

-JM-
10-27-2009, 02:38 AM
Coke, Matt, thanks a lot fellers!

The worst injury is one that prevents eating!

Urgh, too right Matt.

brihead301
10-27-2009, 07:10 AM
How's the mouth feeling? Seems like you're able to lift again unaffected...but eating still hurts huh?

-JM-
10-27-2009, 07:27 AM
How's the mouth feeling? Seems like you're able to lift again unaffected...but eating still hurts huh?

No no, I am good as new. Been eating like normal again. It was root canal. Would have been worse if I had it out.

Barbaccio
10-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Flynn has a secret....bahahahahaha

-JM-
10-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Flynn has a secret....bahahahahaha

Haha ha very good...

I moonlight as a weak person when actually I have a 2300 RRRaAaw total....

Kiaran
10-27-2009, 01:04 PM
Glad to hear you are feeling better, bro. Looks like a good DE squat day. 12" box has got to be pretty low for you. How was your form and speed?

Sidior
10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Glad to hear you are eating again. Recent workouts have looked solid considering the lack of food.

-JM-
10-28-2009, 09:02 AM
Glad to hear you are feeling better, bro. Looks like a good DE squat day. 12" box has got to be pretty low for you. How was your form and speed?

Cheers K! 12'' box puts me right about 1'' below //. Have to practice how I want to play as it where. Form was ok but speed was a bit ****ed. That is why I dint put on more than 2pps. I think overall I was a bit blasted. Back to normal now I think/hope.

Glad to hear you are eating again. Recent workouts have looked solid considering the lack of food.

Thanks Sid. They were ok I spose. Just didnt feel so good during and afterwards. Just took a two day break as I felt like I had been steamrolled on Monday.

-JM-
10-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Just got sent this by email. Been going around a while but its a good one.....

> This is an Incredible story!

> In 1986, Peter Davies was on holiday in Kenya after graduating from Northwestern University .
>
>
>
> On a hike through the bush, he came across a young bull elephant
> standing with one leg raised in the air.
>
>
>
> The elephant seemed distressed, so Peter approached it very carefully.
>
>
>
> He got down on one knee, inspected the elephants foot, and found a
> large piece of wood deeply embedded in it.
>
>
>
> As carefully and as gently as he could, Peter worked the wood out with
> his knife,
>
>
>
> after which the elephant gingerly put down its foot.
>
>
>
> The elephant turned to face the man, and with a rather curious look on
> its face, stared at him for several tense moments.
>
>
>
> Peter stood frozen, thinking of nothing else but being trampled.
>
>
>
> Eventually the elephant trumpeted loudly, turned, and walked away
>
>
>
> Peter never forgot that elephant or the events of that day.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Twenty years later, Peter was walking through the Chicago Zoo with his
> teenaged son.
>
>
>
> As they approached the elephant enclosure, one of the creatures turned
> and
>
>
>
> walked over to near where Peter and his son Cameron were standing
>
>
>
> The large bull elephant stared at Peter, lifted its front foot off the
> ground, then put it down.
>
>
>
> The elephant did that several times then trumpeted loudly, all the
> while staring at the man.
>
>
>
> Remembering the encounter in 1986, Peter could not help wondering if
> this was the same elephant.
>
>
>
> Peter summoned up his courage, climbed over the railing, and made his
> way into the enclosure.
>
>
>
> He walked right up to the elephant and stared back in wonder.
>
>
>
> The elephant trumpeted again, wrapped its trunk around one of Peter
> legs
>
>
>
> and slammed him against the railing, killing him instantly.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Probably wasn't the same ****ing elephant.
>
>
>
>
> This is for everyone who sends me those heart-warming bull****
> stories.
>

brihead301
10-28-2009, 09:17 AM
That was a lovely story Flynn. Thank you for that!

ZenMonkey
10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Damn dude, sorry to hear its still painful. Youll bounce back soon. How is the WS style working for you?

-JM-
10-28-2009, 09:23 AM
That was a lovely story Flynn. Thank you for that!

Ha ha. I actually do hate all those ghey chain letters that people for some reason think its best to send on to ten people or they die.

Damn dude, sorry to hear its still painful. Youll bounce back soon. How is the WS style working for you?

No No dude. Im golden. I am squattin in about 45 mins and I cant ****ing wait!!

-JM-
10-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Whats the deal with eating honey before training?

ZenMonkey
10-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Ha ha. I actually do hate all those ghey chain letters that people for some reason think its best to send on to ten people or they die.

No No dude. Im golden. I am squattin in about 45 mins and I cant ****ing wait!!

Oh, I must have been reading the wrong page. Go get em killer! :shoot:

-JM-
10-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Squat 531 :clown:

Step ups & Stretching

Squat

135x5
185x5
225x3
245x3
265x2
add belt
295x2
310x5
add wraps loose
335x3
355x2 conservative

Wide Stance Arched Back GMs

135x10 (x3)

- - - -

This was all I had time for. Happy enough. Got a vid of the final set of squats that I will fire up later. My wife phoned me right before my last set to tell me that our 2 year old was being a brat. She was a bit flustered (and 7 months pregnant) so I hurried through my last set, did the GMs and bolted. I lacked focus a bit, meh...

ZenMonkey
10-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Beast effort man!

EatMyWay2TheTop
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Smells like a 400-pounds squat is coming :hello:

Coke
10-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Huge squats dude, beastin.

-JM-
10-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Beast effort man!

Thanks Zen!

Smells like a 400-pounds squat is coming :hello:

Hmm, t'would be nice but may be a little while.....:hello:

Huge squats dude, beastin.

Thank ya sir!

-JM-
10-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Last set of squats. ****ty angle, sorry!

HKux5O0h6A8

Yup, watching back, the second rep was dicky. No rebound at all. The weight felt comfy enough. I just didnt make it look as such. No concentration. I will redeem this soon...

borracho
10-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Nice squattin flynn!! And those CG presses looking good too!!!

-JM-
10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Nice squattin flynn!! And those CG presses looking good too!!!

Cheers Borrach! Buried on the last CG though ha ha.

-JM-
10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
Bench 531

Dislocates and stretching

Bench
worked up to

270x3

Low Inc DB

60sx10
85sx10
90sx6
95sx6

DB Rows

85x10
90x10
100x10
110x10

H Rolls

3x12

Triceps Ladder

about 6 sets in all

BB Curls

3x10

- - - -

The benching felt like hell. I think I have hit 265 for 5 or 6 recently so 270x3 is ass. Strength is just dropping off with it. Plus I have to start keeping my feet flat for the comp whereas I am usually right on my toes. Harder to arch. Ended up more BB style. Sucked. Triceps ladder was good fun and it smoked my tris!

EatMyWay2TheTop
10-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Nice squats but those shorts are way too long mate :tuttut:

Benching sometimes make no sense, you'll feel great one week, come back the next one and everything is heavy as hell.

brihead301
10-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Very impressive squatting!!! Yes, the big 4 plates is definately coming soon!!!

borracho
10-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Sucks to hear about the bench....but, I am jealous of your pressing strength either way for whatever thats worth to ya :D

Pete22
10-31-2009, 11:06 AM
Benching can be hit or miss sometimes, don't worry about it too much. Squat form is looking pretty solid.

-JM-
10-31-2009, 05:52 PM
Sucks to hear about the bench....but, I am jealous of your pressing strength either way for whatever thats worth to ya :D

Yep, it seems to have taken a nose dive. I am putting it down to just being burnt out. I tuly appreciate the kind words man!

Benching can be hit or miss sometimes, don't worry about it too much. Squat form is looking pretty solid.

Cheers Pete. I hope it will pass. Squatting still needs a lot of work but I hope it is trundling in the right direction!

-JM-
10-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Nice squats but those shorts are way too long mate :tuttut:

Benching sometimes make no sense, you'll feel great one week, come back the next one and everything is heavy as hell.

Thanks Matt, yeah I am definately experiencing that problem with benching. Confidence wrecker though!

Very impressive squatting!!! Yes, the big 4 plates is definately coming soon!!!

Thanks Bri! 4pps cant come quick enough lol..

-JM-
10-31-2009, 06:18 PM
Deadlift 531

Stretching & Step ups

Conv Deadlift
worked up to

485x3 PR (fully reset)

Box Squat
12" box

135x5
230x2 (x4)

remove box
230x12

Dunno why I did those, just ****ed off and wanted to get home I think.
- - - -

Strange day. Wasnt firing right but I also think that this something I have convinced myself of this past week. Used a really close stance for pulling to see how I got on. Despite this change, the reps were slow and laboured anyway and really didnt feel right. This was not just due to foot placement. I need a rest and deload starts this week coming. Gonna really talke it easy...... fo' realz this time.

I am going to put this up anyway because it is a PR. Not my most proud pulling......

GxvIFXVMf7k

Kiaran
11-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Lol, I know what you mean about "fo' realz this time" on taking it easy. Get some good rest man, you've been smashing it pretty hard. All your lifts are looking stronger every day to me. I hear you on the flat-foot bench press. After ****ing around with heals on the ground bench for over a year, I finally went back to driving up on my toes and guess what I found? My leg drive! Yeah it was hiding there all along. So yeah, I won't be competing in anything that doesn't allow that, lol. Any feds out your way that allow heals off the ground on bench?

-JM-
11-02-2009, 03:38 AM
Lol, I know what you mean about "fo' realz this time" on taking it easy. Get some good rest man, you've been smashing it pretty hard. All your lifts are looking stronger every day to me. I hear you on the flat-foot bench press. After ****ing around with heals on the ground bench for over a year, I finally went back to driving up on my toes and guess what I found? My leg drive! Yeah it was hiding there all along. So yeah, I won't be competing in anything that doesn't allow that, lol. Any feds out your way that allow heals off the ground on bench?

Thanks for the encouraging words K!
I agree about the heels up but this comp states that feet must be on the ground. It messes me up as the only way I can pull any kind of arch is when I am on my toes ha ha this will be interesting.

Sidior
11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
They may not have been pretty but they were an impressive triple man. Nice pulling, enjoy that deload!

mattburns
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Very impressive deadlifts pal, that's a serious triple.

Have a good deload looking forward to seeing how you do with the new regime.

Chris Rodgers
11-02-2009, 03:16 PM
I need a rest and deload starts this week coming. Gonna really talke it easy...... fo' realz this time.

Haha, I do this all the time....as a matter of fact I wrote that in my journal on Sunday and already didn't listen to myself today, lol.

Nice triple PR!

-JM-
11-02-2009, 04:03 PM
They may not have been pretty but they were an impressive triple man. Nice pulling, enjoy that deload!

Thanks Sid. I felt like leaving at a single after the first rep ha ha.

Very impressive deadlifts pal, that's a serious triple.

Have a good deload looking forward to seeing how you do with the new regime.

Cheers Matt. My goal is 505 for reps. Hopefully pull that soon enough.

Haha, I do this all the time....as a matter of fact I wrote that in my journal on Sunday and already didn't listen to myself today, lol.

Nice triple PR!

I am an idiot when it comes to training smart and capitalising on the opportunity to deload properly. Why the hell do we always end up with double the weight we should have on the bar??

Cheers Chris!

-JM-
11-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Military Press 531

Some Stretching

Seated DB Press
almost upright

60sx10
70sx5
80sx5
85sx5
90sx5 PR

CGBP
~17'' grip

135x10
155x10
185x8
220x5 :eek: nothing left

VBar Lat Pulldowns

heavy 4x10

Rear Delt DB Laterals

4x10

Plate Raise
palms up

3x10

Straight Arm Pulldowns

3x12

- - - -

I think that was everything. Big volume session. Deload starts Wednesday. Sall good.

I opted not to mil press tonight in an effort to spare my left elbow and shoulder. Just did seated DB press instead and worked up to a top set of 5. Got a killer pump in my shoulders which I never get from mil press. Its been so long since I did seated DB press, I dont think I have ever put more than the 75s above my head so that was a decent PR.

Coke
11-02-2009, 05:26 PM
You're on a roll dude, I can barely keep up these days, lol.

borracho
11-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Nice DLs and shoulder work...those DB presses are BIIIIG!!!...along with teh DLs :D

Lookin solid buddy.

brihead301
11-03-2009, 08:07 AM
You've got some pretty impressive pushing strength. DB presses w/ 90s is no joke man. I struggle with 65s...

I noticed the same thing about the pump from DB's that I don't get from BB presses too. I'm not sure why exactly that is. Maybe it's because they isolate the shoulders more or something???? I dunno, but I hear ya.

Kiaran
11-03-2009, 11:57 AM
90s on an OHP, wtf?! Dude, now that's strong ****. So are you back on the 531 for good now or what's the routine shaping up like?

-JM-
11-04-2009, 03:20 PM
You're on a roll dude, I can barely keep up these days, lol.

LOL, thanks Coke. Gotta keep movin'

Nice DLs and shoulder work...those DB presses are BIIIIG!!!...along with teh DLs :D

Lookin solid buddy.

Cheers dude! Things are going ok.

You've got some pretty impressive pushing strength. DB presses w/ 90s is no joke man. I struggle with 65s...

I noticed the same thing about the pump from DB's that I don't get from BB presses too. I'm not sure why exactly that is. Maybe it's because they isolate the shoulders more or something???? I dunno, but I hear ya.

Thanks Bri. I dunno, I have been working with the standing mil press for so long and its a ball breaker. Stellar one day and horse**** the next. I think I might go with seated DB presses for a while. They dont **** my shoulder and elbow like the millies.

90s on an OHP, wtf?! Dude, now that's strong ****. So are you back on the 531 for good now or what's the routine shaping up like?

Yeah K. I love those seated presses.
531 till I die boyeee, or somethin' like that. I will keep rolling with it. I cranked my training maxes up for that last cycle and this next cycle. Meet is on the 5th December and then I might lower the maxes again for the cycle after that. Its been said a million times, if it aint broke......

-JM-
11-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Squat Deload

Rolling & Stretching

Squat
warmed up to

255x5 (x3)

Wide Stance Arched back GMs

2x10

DB Step Ups

2x10

More rolling and stretching.

- - - -

I did it. I actually did it. I deloaded and to under 60%. Feeling good. Self control is at an all time high.

Coke
11-05-2009, 05:47 AM
Definitely in the driver's seat and headed in the right direction...like the effort bro.

brihead301
11-05-2009, 07:16 AM
Deloading is a hard thing to do...I totally understand where you are coming from on this one! I'm skipping my deload this week though since I took a week off last week because of my back (I probably should deload though, but I don't have the self control you do).

borracho
11-05-2009, 07:21 AM
haha..nice showing of discipline for the deload dude...it'll be good for ya.

-JM-
11-06-2009, 10:57 AM
Definitely in the driver's seat and headed in the right direction...like the effort bro.

Deloading is a hard thing to do...I totally understand where you are coming from on this one! I'm skipping my deload this week though since I took a week off last week because of my back (I probably should deload though, but I don't have the self control you do).

haha..nice showing of discipline for the deload dude...it'll be good for ya.

Thanks a lot guys. I have been sick as hell the past 48 hrs. Stomach flu along with crappy aches and pains in my back, neck, shoulders and legs. Bed ridden since Wednesday. Dunno what day I will lift again. I want to be on top things for this last cycle before my meet.

Kiaran
11-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Bah, that sucks you are sick man. Probably a good thing it is during your deload week as well. You will bounce right back, no doubt. Rest up and feel better, bro.

Brian C
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Sup Flynn. Awesome efforts in here bro. Nice triple DL vid. Very strong. Hope your new plan pans out well for you.

-JM-
11-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Bah, that sucks you are sick man. Probably a good thing it is during your deload week as well. You will bounce right back, no doubt. Rest up and feel better, bro.

Cheers K. Appreciate the words.

Sup Flynn. Awesome efforts in here bro. Nice triple DL vid. Very strong. Hope your new plan pans out well for you.

Hey Brian. Thanks for stopping in mate. I appreciate the encouraging words.

-JM-
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
If youre in a good mood, dont even bother reading this BS because its just a ****ty ''oh im sick'' update.

No training at all since last Wednesday. Got really ill. I have lost about 10lbs and to top it off I think I have a kidney infection due to being so dehydrated. My piss is still orange and I and I have been downing fluids non stop. I cant even comment on my diet since, well, I actually didnt eat a thing for three days and even water woudlnt stay down.

On the mend now I hope and I have started eating as much as I can. Mostly cereals and breads. Everything makes me break out in a sweat and feel queezy.

AND, this Thursday, to make things even better I have to go in to get the dressing removed from my wisdom tooth that I had RCT on a few weeks ago to get the permanent filling put in. This will again **** with training and eating.

I have the strength of an eight year old girl and the kidneys of a meth drinker.

jed
11-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm glad youve been posting in this for the last month and it hasnt showed up once in my control panel. Did you change the name or anything? Ugh. Anyways, great workouts the past month lol. Sweet vid on the triple deads, great strength. I should be back in here more often now.

Feck man, sucks about the kidney issue and being sick, PLUS wisdom teeth lol. I know a girl having kidney problems right now and it sucks ass, makes her sick to her stomach she says. Get all healed up and take it easy on yourself. Don't get too down about your strength, the way you work it will be back up in no time when you can hit the iron again.

Pete22
11-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Jeeze, sounds terrible man. I hope you feel better and get back to normal soon... and stop feeling like an "8-year old meth addict". :)

ZenMonkey
11-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Sorry to hear youre on the down and out man. I hope you get better fast... this **** seems to be going around, it knocked me on my ass too. Try to keep up the eating though... I know its tough but I lost 15lbs in the last two weeks b/c of it and really wish I force fed myself.

Sidior
11-10-2009, 06:08 PM
*cyber hug*

Coke
11-10-2009, 08:47 PM
*cyber hug*

No doubt, lol...seriously though, hope you will be able to bounce back shortly.

Kiaran
11-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Man I've been there. Rest up, bro. Plenty of time to get strong the rest of your life. Yeah, I'm gonna follow Coke and Sid and *cyber hug* We got your back, dude!

Sidior
11-10-2009, 11:33 PM
Haha you got sick and this journal turned into a cyberhug orgy. Think twice next time buddy lol.

-JM-
11-11-2009, 03:33 AM
I'm glad youve been posting in this for the last month and it hasnt showed up once in my control panel. Did you change the name or anything? Ugh. Anyways, great workouts the past month lol. Sweet vid on the triple deads, great strength. I should be back in here more often now.

Feck man, sucks about the kidney issue and being sick, PLUS wisdom teeth lol. I know a girl having kidney problems right now and it sucks ass, makes her sick to her stomach she says. Get all healed up and take it easy on yourself. Don't get too down about your strength, the way you work it will be back up in no time when you can hit the iron again.

Ha ha, I started a new journal. So far the training has been a bit grim. Thanks for checking in and the well wishes dudebot.

Jeeze, sounds terrible man. I hope you feel better and get back to normal soon... and stop feeling like an "8-year old meth addict". :)

LMAO..Todays status: '12 year old binge drinker'
Appreciate the well wishes Pete!

Sorry to hear youre on the down and out man. I hope you get better fast... this **** seems to be going around, it knocked me on my ass too. Try to keep up the eating though... I know its tough but I lost 15lbs in the last two weeks b/c of it and really wish I force fed myself.

Thanks a lot Zen. Its true, everyone seems to be getting struck down. Eating is the hardest part but I am getting there.

*cyber hug*

awww............... ok thats enough.

No doubt, lol...seriously though, hope you will be able to bounce back shortly.

Hope so Coke! Thanks mate.

Man I've been there. Rest up, bro. Plenty of time to get strong the rest of your life. Yeah, I'm gonna follow Coke and Sid and *cyber hug* We got your back, dude!

Ha ha, group hug almost....ahem.. It feels like you lose everything but youre right, it will come seeping back. Thanks a lot K!

Haha you got sick and this journal turned into a cyberhug orgy. Think twice next time buddy lol.

I will. ****, I hope the next time is a loooong time away!!

- - - -

Jed, Pete, Zen, Sid, Coke, Kairan.....

Thanks a lot fellas. Seriously that was what I needed to get me up off my ass today. I am gonna get a blast at benchin' this afternoon. ''What doesnt kill you makes you str....10lbs lighter'' right?

Barbaccio
11-11-2009, 05:30 AM
Believe it or not there is such a thing as a rebound response from getting sick. You may see your strength increase. It's happened to me quite a few times as well as my partners. My guess is it's got something to do with the rest you're getting as well as your body going into hyperdrive to fix itself. Good luck today Flynn. Kick it's ass.

-JM-
11-11-2009, 06:38 AM
Believe it or not there is such a thing as a rebound response from getting sick. You may see your strength increase. It's happened to me quite a few times as well as my partners. My guess is it's got something to do with the rest you're getting as well as your body going into hyperdrive to fix itself. Good luck today Flynn. Kick it's ass.

Thanks Tone. I have had a similar experience when training the day after a hangover. For some reason just feeling really strong. Damn that would be awesome if it happens. I have slept ALOT too. Im pumped for today. My new Titanium wrist wraps arrived last week so I want to give them a run out. ha ha..

-JM-
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Bench 555

Stretching & Dislocates

Bench
worked up to
245x5 piss

Inc HS Press
3x10

BB Rows
up to
205x8

Rear DB Laterals
3x10

Tri Pressdowns
3x15

- - - -

Not great but not bad considering. My bench needs so much work. Its sliding ****ing backwards where progress is concerned.

Coke
11-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Solid effort with the benching and all dude.

jed
11-12-2009, 01:38 AM
What's causing the decline in the bench numbers, man? Just the sickness?

-JM-
11-12-2009, 01:42 AM
Solid effort with the benching and all dude.

Thanks a lot Coke.

What's causing the decline in the bench numbers, man? Just the sickness?

I reckon being sick is a factor but I have noticed over the last month or so that everything just feels super heavy. Hopefully after locating my balls it will go in the right direction again.

jed
11-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Ah I see, have you kept following the same set/rep scheme while it's felt like crap? Maybe switch it up quick and jostle up your system for a week or two and then hit the old routine again and see how it works?

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-12-2009, 05:28 AM
Get well soon pal

brihead301
11-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Pushing lifts are the hardest thing for me too. For some reason, I get to my 'limit' and I just can't seem to push past. 255 x 2 was my best bench ever. I'm putting my faith into 5/3/1 though.

I have a feeling you'll overcome this plateau though. Keep on trainin!

Barbaccio
11-12-2009, 08:14 AM
Take a downweek. You went from 531 to Westside to back again and you've really not had much down time. I'd take a week. Go home everyday and just eat and chill out. Then come back and watch what happens. Don't lift ANYTHING. Your body will heal up and you'll be dying to get back in the gym again.

mattburns
11-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Gutted about the illness mate. One of the most annoying setbacks to lifting especially if you can't eating.

Hope you get better ASAP and start smashing the weights again in the run up to your meet.

borracho
11-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Damn dude sorry to hear about the illness...hope you get/got better quickly.

Kiaran
11-12-2009, 06:50 PM
Great to see you get in there and keep the wheels turning, bro. Don't worry about the bench. That **** always slides. It will go right back up within a week or two of normal training. You worried about your meet next month?

BTW, Barbaccio's advice sounds good and I think a down week would help you out a lot.

ZenMonkey
11-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Keep on truckin man, we all stagnate from time to time. A break would probably do you some good, as others said.

Barbaccio
11-13-2009, 05:01 AM
Flynn, got your PM.

Taking a week cause you're sick or having a "deload" is not the same as TAKING COMPLETELY OFF.
I understand you're a few weeks out from the meet but your body is telling you something. If you don't want to take the break then keep going as hard as you can. Everyday. Just completely bust ass for these last few weeks before your meet then take COMPLETELY off for at least 1 if not 2 weeks before.
You say you're feeling withered. I can feel big as a friggin house one week, overtrain, and feel like a little puppy the next. I think the Westside switch really threw your body for a loop because up till then you were making good progress. Either way you choose to go keep up updated and feel free to PM me if you've got questions man. I want to see you blow this meet in December out of the water!

-JM-
11-13-2009, 05:08 AM
Flynn, got your PM.

Taking a week cause you're sick or having a "deload" is not the same as TAKING COMPLETELY OFF.
I understand you're a few weeks out from the meet but your body is telling you something. If you don't want to take the break then keep going as hard as you can. Everyday. Just completely bust ass for these last few weeks before your meet then take COMPLETELY off for at least 1 if not 2 weeks before.
You say you're feeling withered. I can feel big as a friggin house one week, overtrain, and feel like a little puppy the next. I think the Westside switch really threw your body for a loop because up till then you were making good progress. Either way you choose to go keep up updated and feel free to PM me if you've got questions man. I want to see you blow this meet in December out of the water!

Awesome, ok man. I will see how I go today.

-JM-
11-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Ah I see, have you kept following the same set/rep scheme while it's felt like crap? Maybe switch it up quick and jostle up your system for a week or two and then hit the old routine again and see how it works?

I am thinking there is maybe more to it and the change I made is what was f'ing me up? Thanks for the input man.

Get well soon pal

Merci Matt.

Pushing lifts are the hardest thing for me too. For some reason, I get to my 'limit' and I just can't seem to push past. 255 x 2 was my best bench ever. I'm putting my faith into 5/3/1 though.

I have a feeling you'll overcome this plateau though. Keep on trainin!

Hey thanks Bri. Encouraging words.

Gutted about the illness mate. One of the most annoying setbacks to lifting especially if you can't eating.

Hope you get better ASAP and start smashing the weights again in the run up to your meet.

Cheers big guy. Food has been on track this last week so fingers crossed.

Damn dude sorry to hear about the illness...hope you get/got better quickly.

Appreciated Borach. Thanks dude.

Great to see you get in there and keep the wheels turning, bro. Don't worry about the bench. That **** always slides. It will go right back up within a week or two of normal training. You worried about your meet next month?

BTW, Barbaccio's advice sounds good and I think a down week would help you out a lot.

Cheers K. Yeah I am ****tin it about the meet. I want to make an impression you know? Like who the **** is that FNG that that is blowing this thing apart.

Keep on truckin man, we all stagnate from time to time. A break would probably do you some good, as others said.

I hear you man. I hope I have rested enough. Thanks Zen!

- - - -

I am ****ing blown away by the encouragment in here. Out****ingstanding!!!!

-JM-
11-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Squat 555

5min stat bike & stretching

Squat
belt only up to
330x5

Wide Arched Back GMs
135x8 (x3)

DB Step Ups
40sx10 (x3)

Abs & Calves

- - - -

Just took the 330 for 5 reps. The set was tiring enough though. Getting a bit of confidence back.

Dingus
11-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Squat 555

5min stat bike & stretching

Squat
belt only up to
330x5

Wide Arched Back GMs
135x8 (x3)

DB Step Ups
40sx10 (x3)

Abs & Calves

- - - -

Just took the 330 for 5 reps. The set was tiring enough though. Getting a bit of confidence back.

Good job training when you're not feeling great. I can't wait to see what you do at the meet. Good stuff man.

Coke
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Real fine squats and all Flynn.

Brian C
11-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey Flynn I hope your feeling better pal. Really sucks to hear that your in such a bad way from being ill. Youll mend up and be hitting your numbers before you know it:thumbup:

-JM-
11-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey Flynn I hope your feeling better pal. Really sucks to hear that your in such a bad way from being ill. Youll mend up and be hitting your numbers before you know it:thumbup:

I realy hope so mate. Much appreciated.

Real fine squats and all Flynn.

Thanks Coke. Did what I could.

-JM-
11-14-2009, 11:06 AM
Military 555

Stretching and stretching

Military Press
worked up to
140x8
120x12

Dips
BWx5
+20lbx5
+35lbx5
+45lbx5
+55lbx8

DB Rows
90x10 (x2)
100x10 (x2)

Chest Supported Rows
4x10

Single Rear Delt Cables
3x15 each

- - - -

Feeling normal again. Strength isnt anywhere near where it was but its coming back.

BW - 219. This has risen steadily since Monday.

Coke
11-14-2009, 02:19 PM
Like the effort bro, especially them dips.

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice work out there

borracho
11-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Nice upper body work buddy...glad to see you back at it!!

Kiaran
11-15-2009, 07:09 PM
On your way back up the hill dude. Squats are still monster and awesome to see you adding plenty of weight to the dips! Are you using a dip belt for that I assume?

jed
11-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Great to hear youre getting back to normal health again. Those squats the other day were killer... 330 for 5 reps is great. Strong mili's too, mate. What's your PR with 135 for reps?

-JM-
11-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Like the effort bro, especially them dips.

Cheers big man.

Nice work out there

Thanks Matt.

Nice upper body work buddy...glad to see you back at it!!

Thanks Borrac. Getting there, sort of..

On your way back up the hill dude. Squats are still monster and awesome to see you adding plenty of weight to the dips! Are you using a dip belt for that I assume?

Thanks K. Yeah I made a dipping belt out of my old WL belt, some chain and some couplings. I will post a picture of it later. I am pretty pleased with it.

Great to hear youre getting back to normal health again. Those squats the other day were killer... 330 for 5 reps is great. Strong mili's too, mate. What's your PR with 135 for reps?

Thansk Jed. I think my 135 pr was 12 or something.

Barbaccio
11-16-2009, 07:10 AM
Weight heading back up is good news. Hope to see your numbers increase along with it Flynn! Only a few weeks out man! Keep killing it and stuff your face full of meat!

brihead301
11-16-2009, 11:47 AM
You'll get your strength back in no time. Being sick really sucks a** though...I totally hear ya on that one. Nice pressing session!

-JM-
11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
You'll get your strength back in no time. Being sick really sucks a** though...I totally hear ya on that one. Nice pressing session!

Thanks Bri. Things are pretty much back to normal. No excuses!!

Weight heading back up is good news. Hope to see your numbers increase along with it Flynn! Only a few weeks out man! Keep killing it and stuff your face full of meat!

Cheers Tone. Weight just holding steady at 219 past two days. More food!

-JM-
11-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Deadlift 333

Stepmill x 3mins & Stretching

Conv Deadlift
working sets
405x3
435x3
add belt
465x4

Front Squats
135x10
175x10 (x2)
205x6

45* Back Raises
BWx15
+25x10 (x2)
+35x10

- - - -

Done. LB and hams were like jelly after that. Vid of last set of deads later. The first rep nearly went through the roof, well at least it felt like it was fast.....then I flaked. My endurance is TEH SUCK! Going to bring the Front Squats back to DL day. Felt solid.

brihead301
11-17-2009, 01:32 PM
Nice deads man! What was your initial starting 1RM deadlift when you were on cycle 1 of this program? I'd love to stick with this program all the way to the point where I'm repping w/495 lbs....

Coke
11-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Awfully close to 5pps on the deads now, doing great.

-JM-
11-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Nice deads man! What was your initial starting 1RM deadlift when you were on cycle 1 of this program? I'd love to stick with this program all the way to the point where I'm repping w/495 lbs....

Thanks Bri. My first cycle, 1 year ago, my 1RM was 405...Last 1RM I took on deads was 525. That was about 4 or 5 cycles ago.

Awfully close to 5pps on the deads now, doing great.

Thanks a lot Coke. I am looking forward to repping 505.

borracho
11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Stong DLs and front squats buddy...cant imagine doing front squats after heavy DLs...nice work!!!

-JM-
11-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Keph, this is the dipping belt I made out of an old WL belt. Worked really well!

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28017&stc=1&d=1258499206

-JM-
11-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Heres my pulls from earlier....
DgNkTIWE2lc

- - - -

Borrac, thanks mate. I always liked that DL/Front Sq combo.

Kiaran
11-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Very clever with that belt, man. Great way to save some money and that thing looks like it'll hold a truck lol

Deads look solid and strong as hell. When I was at the meet last weekend, they told us we would get red lighted if we used our thighs to shelf and assist the weight at lockout. Can't tell if that's happening to you in the vid, but you might want to check some rules out before your meet just in case. BTW, did you get a haircut? Keep moving the numbers forward, bro.

-JM-
11-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Very clever with that belt, man. Great way to save some money and that thing looks like it'll hold a truck lol

Deads look solid and strong as hell. When I was at the meet last weekend, they told us we would get red lighted if we used our thighs to shelf and assist the weight at lockout. Can't tell if that's happening to you in the vid, but you might want to check some rules out before your meet just in case. BTW, did you get a haircut? Keep moving the numbers forward, bro.

Thanks K. Yeah I hitched badly on the last or even the last two reps. Just got tired. Def get red lighted for that.

Yeah I got my hair chopped. I look about 20yrs old ha ha.

jed
11-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Damn, mate. That deadlift + squat combo would be devastating! And yeah, I can def. notice a little bit of hitch (atleast it seems from the angle), but you know what to do and how youre doing it. 465x4 conventional is sick man. Your deadlift is killer.

Nifty dip belt. Mind if I ask what kind of belt it is? Looks like it would be solid, and I prefer that style.

Cmanuel
11-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Liking the effort that I see in this log!

brihead301
11-18-2009, 08:16 AM
Those deads looked ridiculously easy for you....So you started with a 1RM of 405 huh? And now you're working from 525....Nice! You will be repping 5 plates soon!

Dingus
11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Nice job Flynn you're making the rest of us look bad.

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Solid effort as always :thumbup:

-JM-
11-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Damn, mate. That deadlift + squat combo would be devastating! And yeah, I can def. notice a little bit of hitch (atleast it seems from the angle), but you know what to do and how youre doing it. 465x4 conventional is sick man. Your deadlift is killer.

Nifty dip belt. Mind if I ask what kind of belt it is? Looks like it would be solid, and I prefer that style.

Cheers Jed. I suppose I just get lazy throwing my thighs under like that. That was my old BB style belt. It was just some run of mill jobby that I got from a sports nutrition shop a few years ago. Its thinner around the front. Is that what you are looking for?

Liking the effort that I see in this log!

Thanks mate!

Those deads looked ridiculously easy for you....So you started with a 1RM of 405 huh? And now you're working from 525....Nice! You will be repping 5 plates soon!

I hope so Bri. I actually wanted to rep 505 which is 5 plates and a quarter in my gym. I reckon on a good day soon I will blast it for three or four, fully reset.

Nice job Flynn you're making the rest of us look bad.

Ha, thanks man. I think you mean look good.

Solid effort as always :thumbup:

Cheers mate. Where the hell have you been?

-JM-
11-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Bench 333

Cable pull aparts
my upper & lower back is super toight from the pulls yesterday

Bench
working sets
205x3
225x3
245x3
255x4

High Inc DB
55sx10
70sx10
80sx10

Lat Pulldowns
bench grip to sternum
4x10

OH EZ Bar Tri Ext
3x10

- - - -

Bench is in Gheysville. Big changes on my set up and I am thinking about it so much that by the time I unrack I am ''oh **** yeah the weight''.
My back is toast after yesterday so I didnt hit it too hard tonight.
Whats the point....

BW- 217... ****!

jed
11-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Yeah, there used to be a belt in our weightroom at school with that shape and it was great. I like the ones with padding too and not just straight leather.

Good benching today mate. Do you wear wraps for wrists? I find that helps my mental block and makes the weight seem lighter since I've more support.

borracho
11-18-2009, 08:12 PM
I know it aint where it was but it looks good for whats going on w/ya lately. Stay positive dude...doing great.

Sidior
11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Bench can be tricky but once you find out what works for you it will take off again. Solid pulling brah.

ZenMonkey
11-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Awesome pulling Flynn! Im sure the bench is only very temporary as you get used to the new setup.

-JM-
11-19-2009, 01:18 PM
Yeah, there used to be a belt in our weightroom at school with that shape and it was great. I like the ones with padding too and not just straight leather.

Good benching today mate. Do you wear wraps for wrists? I find that helps my mental block and makes the weight seem lighter since I've more support.

Jed, I got a heavy duty 10mm PL belt and it is the shiz. I have used the WL style for a long time and now IMHO they just dont cut it.
I just got a pair of Titan Titanium wrist wraps. They are pretty solid. I wish I could do them justice though.......
Thanks for the props too mate.

I know it aint where it was but it looks good for whats going on w/ya lately. Stay positive dude...doing great.

Thank ya sir. I dont want to use that as an excuse but I suppose it is bound to have had an effect. Onward and upward as they say.

Bench can be tricky but once you find out what works for you it will take off again. Solid pulling brah.

Hope so Dave. Thanks a lot mate.

Awesome pulling Flynn! Im sure the bench is only very temporary as you get used to the new setup.

Cheers Zen. I really hope so. I need to work out the most efficient method of raw benching and not get confused with the set ups/motions of geared benching that I see the videos for.

-JM-
11-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Today in work I was sitting think about my recent lifting.......or the complete ****e that has become my training. It has gone much in the same fashion as my weight. UP AND DOWN...that is the only thing that has been ****ing consistent.

My diet is sooo eratic. This is a huge problem. This will be addressed first.
I also need to stretch more. Do some work/conditioning in between lifting. I dont know why but lately after two consecutive sessions I will wake up the next day feeling like I am getting the flu or just generally feeling like a geriatric.
Do everything I am bad at. Consider what I was doing when felt at my strongest for example, BB Rows, CGBP, SLDLs, Front Squats were all staples when my lifts have been the best. These will all come back.

Anyway, I have set out numbers in both short and long term goals. I will keep them to myself for the moment. For this meet I will go with the flow. Get in, hopefully meet a few people, get some good contacts and most importantly light a fire under my ass that will have me back this time next year ready to blow the thing apart. I suppose I shouldnt really care about what anyone else is lifting. This is a challenge between me and MY total. My Pops once told me when playing golf that I should play the course, not the man. This was good advice and can be applied to lifting I think. Me against the iron, as it where.

...and no I am not on my period. I had MORE dental work done this morning so spent half the day with a frozen jaw and no food. The last session is next Wednesday so more of the same. **** it, that it done.

Today I am sitting at a soft 218lbs. meh.....I am off to prep a tank load of rice and grilled turkey. Exciting.

Thanks for reading :hello:

jed
11-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Is a 10mm PL belt a thick tall one with just leather and no pad? Think I know what you mean but not sure...

Good points you made for yourself dudely. Diet is key, and an erratic one is something to focus on no doubt. Mine had been very poor the first month of college, and i've been ever improving it since, and I have noticed a definite change. Yes, worry about yourself and your numbers. Sucks that you have dental work dude, that has to be a nuisance! Keep up with the hard work and stuff man. Sometimes all it takes is to sit down for an hour and rethink about what the hell your doing, and then do it.

borracho
11-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Mother ****er. I just typed a nice long heartfelt message and good ole verizon wireless screwed me over and when I went to post it I realized I wasnt connected and lost it.

Flynn...it looks like you're heading in the right direction mentally....just gotta get over this bump in the road and you'll be where ya want in no time...sorry to hear about the dental work....thats gotta be a bummer.

-JM-
11-20-2009, 03:15 AM
Is a 10mm PL belt a thick tall one with just leather and no pad? Think I know what you mean but not sure...

Good points you made for yourself dudely. Diet is key, and an erratic one is something to focus on no doubt. Mine had been very poor the first month of college, and i've been ever improving it since, and I have noticed a definite change. Yes, worry about yourself and your numbers. Sucks that you have dental work dude, that has to be a nuisance! Keep up with the hard work and stuff man. Sometimes all it takes is to sit down for an hour and rethink about what the hell your doing, and then do it.

Thanks for the encouragement brother! I am getting the dental work done now and at least it is out of the way. I am getting two metal fillings replaced with white ones. Vanities a bitch lol.
Jed.....this is the belt I got. I suggest you get a similar one. It will last you forever!
http://www.pullum-sports.co.uk/images/uploads/ABAC02.jpg

Mother ****er. I just typed a nice long heartfelt message and good ole verizon wireless screwed me over and when I went to post it I realized I wasnt connected and lost it.

Flynn...it looks like you're heading in the right direction mentally....just gotta get over this bump in the road and you'll be where ya want in no time...sorry to hear about the dental work....thats gotta be a bummer.

I hate when that happens. I usually plug the wire into my laptop just to be sure. I appreciate the words man.
I am on the right track now. No excuses. I really have nothing to complain about. Well the lack of moaning in this log didnt last long......summbitch!

-JM-
11-21-2009, 04:12 AM
Squat 333

Stepmill & Stretching

Squat
worked up to
340x4

Wide Arched GMs
135x10 (x3)

DB Step Ups
35sx10 (x3)

- - - -

3 guys in the squat rack doing closely spotted (supported) 1/4 squat mornings when I arrived. I just asked if I could work in or else I would have been there all night waiting.

Coke
11-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Good deal man, showed 'em how to be doing it at the squat rack, lol.

brihead301
11-21-2009, 11:42 AM
It just sounds like you are in a rut right now...it happens ya know? At least you're not ignoring it, and addressing the problem instead. You're still looking pretty damn strong to me. Squats this last session were killer! Good luck getting back on track though....What's a typical day's diet look like for you anyway?

ZenMonkey
11-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Nice squatting man! Get those things in check brotha! No excuses! I know youve got it in you, you are disciplined and hella strong dude. Shake the negativity off, buck up and go SFW! :)

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Nice squats pal

-JM-
11-21-2009, 05:20 PM
Good deal man, showed 'em how to be doing it at the squat rack, lol.

....well sort off. Cheers big guy!

It just sounds like you are in a rut right now...it happens ya know? At least you're not ignoring it, and addressing the problem instead. You're still looking pretty damn strong to me. Squats this last session were killer! Good luck getting back on track though....What's a typical day's diet look like for you anyway?

Thanks Bri. A rut is right. The longest runing one yet. I will get there though. I typically eat...
1. 60g oats, pt of milk, 2 scoops whey
2. tuna or deli meat sandwich, greek yog w/ honey
3. pasta or bread + meat & veg
4. pb sandwich.
5. 2 scoops whey (PWO)
6. meat, root veg, (+ potatoes on training days)
7. scrambled eggs or ccheese shake

+bcaas, fish oil, milk thistle. something along those lines. I also eat a lot of apples and bananas during the day.

Nice squatting man! Get those things in check brotha! No excuses! I know youve got it in you, you are disciplined and hella strong dude. Shake the negativity off, buck up and go SFW! :)

****in' right dude! This log IS dripping with negativity though. That needs fixed.

Nice squats pal

Cheers monsieur. Where have you been?

-JM-
11-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Military 333

Seated DB Press
working sets
80sx3
85sx3
90sx5

Dips
bwx8
+20x5
+35x5
+55x5
+65x5

Bent BB Rows
4 sets up to
205x6

Rear Delt Cables
3x15

Rope Pressdowns
3x15

- - - -

BW - 219. No actual military today as it usually ****s my left elbow and shoulder which both feel tip top at the minute.

1 weeks training left. I will use this 531 week to work up to my openers then a week off. Balls to the wall, coming up.

Coke
11-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Nice flow going as you get closer to the meet bro.

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-22-2009, 02:58 AM
Cheers monsieur. Where have you been?

I caught the flu a week ago (dont know if its the swine or not as the test is expensive) but before that I was ****ed up pretty much for all of November, I guess my lack of sleep finally caught up with me. My BW dropped like crazy too.

But it's geting better now, I switched to the almighty 5/3/1 so I may start a fresh log soon so you all can laugh at my numbers lol

Good luck with your last training week mate

Kiaran
11-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Interesting last couple sessions, bro. Interesting state of mind you're in too. It's hard to stay positive and and make solid progress when your health has been jacked, trust me I know. You are gonna have to weather this storm, bro, and when it's over you will be flying high again. That's life right? Up and down. When you're up, strike when that iron is hot. When you're down, hold on tight and let time pass. The more you fight it, the more it will kick your ass.

Now, your numbers are fine and your progress is stalled yes, but how did you do overall this year? Take a look back in your log and be proud man. You worked hard and the sun is setting on this year, so get healed up and ready for another even better one. Don't worry about the meet, just get that exp under your belt and learn what you're gonna do differently next time because there will be others. Just think what you would be telling a guy ten years from now doing his first meet right? You're gonna do this for you, not to make an impression or anything else, just you.

-JM-
11-22-2009, 02:55 PM
Nice flow going as you get closer to the meet bro.

Thanks Coke. Trying to get my **** together as it where :)

I caught the flu a week ago (dont know if its the swine or not as the test is expensive) but before that I was ****ed up pretty much for all of November, I guess my lack of sleep finally caught up with me. My BW dropped like crazy too.

But it's geting better now, I switched to the almighty 5/3/1 so I may start a fresh log soon so you all can laugh at my numbers lol

Good luck with your last training week mate

Swine or not. Flu is brutal. Sorry to hear that mate. Glad you are on the mend. I know how you feel, truly. Get gathered up, get the new journal started and blast on like never before. You will love the 531!

I appreciate the encouragement. Now go and sort out your visable abs.

Interesting last couple sessions, bro. Interesting state of mind you're in too. It's hard to stay positive and and make solid progress when your health has been jacked, trust me I know. You are gonna have to weather this storm, bro, and when it's over you will be flying high again. That's life right? Up and down. When you're up, strike when that iron is hot. When you're down, hold on tight and let time pass. The more you fight it, the more it will kick your ass.

Now, your numbers are fine and your progress is stalled yes, but how did you do overall this year? Take a look back in your log and be proud man. You worked hard and the sun is setting on this year, so get healed up and ready for another even better one. Don't worry about the meet, just get that exp under your belt and learn what you're gonna do differently next time because there will be others. Just think what you would be telling a guy ten years from now doing his first meet right? You're gonna do this for you, not to make an impression or anything else, just you.

K, what can I say, that is some motivating stuff! I think you are on the money about sticking this out. I have committed a plan to paper. Set out some long term goals for a certain time and worked backwards. I know what I gotta do, I just have to ****ing do it.
Interesting sessions lately? yeah, no matter how pumped I get, I just dont have it physically. Dare I ****ing mention the word......overtrained?...its all I can think of. I am not just talking about the gym. 2 jobs, a 2 year old & 8 months pregnant wife all keep me super busy you know?...Add 4 training sessions into the mix and.......... meh who knows.

borracho
11-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Strong DB press and super dips man...looks like you're on the right track.

ZenMonkey
11-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Yea man, strong pressing and dips!

jed
11-22-2009, 10:28 PM
Good squatting the other day man. 340x4 is good weight and reps even if youre not in a rut right now. Solid dips and dumbbell pressing too. Keep at it bro, hopefully by meet time you'll be right at your peak after recovering and nail some heavy singles.

mattburns
11-23-2009, 03:55 PM
Got a lot of stuff going on mate it's no surprise you're finding it a little tough. Makes it all the more impressive though that you manage to work out with your commitments.

Hope you can get settled this week before the meet pal!

-JM-
11-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Strong DB press and super dips man...looks like you're on the right track.

Thanks B. I appreciate the words.

Yea man, strong pressing and dips!

Thanks ya sir.

Good squatting the other day man. 340x4 is good weight and reps even if youre not in a rut right now. Solid dips and dumbbell pressing too. Keep at it bro, hopefully by meet time you'll be right at your peak after recovering and nail some heavy singles.

Cheers Jed. Encouraging words.

Got a lot of stuff going on mate it's no surprise you're finding it a little tough. Makes it all the more impressive though that you manage to work out with your commitments.

Hope you can get settled this week before the meet pal!

Thanks Matt. I moan a lot. Everyone has plenty on their plates lol..

-JM-
11-24-2009, 04:12 PM
Deadlift 531

Stretching & BW Lunges

Conv Deadlift
worked up to
485x1
505x1
528x0 (was for 10lb PR)

I got that 528 to my knees pretty swiftly, paused, hitched and locked the **** out of it.....but I ****ing hitched sooo badly. Mother****er.

Edit: I have the video of the 528 FWIW, which I will put up tomorrow.

Front Squats
135x10
155x10
165x5
195x3 (x2)

Abs & Calves

- - - -

Training remains in a dark place. I have nothing positive to say so I am saying nothing.

More importantly, this morning my wife went for her penultimate midwife appointment and was told that the baby was almost engaged and it would be best if she was prepared to go from any day now. Her bump has really dropped low and I have noticed her really slowing down this past week. The midwife did say that she could go full term but looks unlikely. They moved her last appointment forward by one week. Super excited!!

Coke
11-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Wish you and your wife good luck...you always have so much on the table and still take care of it all, including the workouts.

-JM-
11-25-2009, 05:30 AM
Wish you and your wife good luck...you always have so much on the table and still take care of it all, including the workouts.

Cheers Coke. Nah, I just complain more LOL!

brihead301
11-25-2009, 06:29 AM
Awesome deads man! Hell, you got the 528 off the ground...sometimes you gotta cheat a bit to get stronger. I'd bet that in a short amount of time, you'll be cleaning pulling that weight....Congrats on the baby coming up too.

-JM-
11-25-2009, 06:46 AM
Awesome deads man! Hell, you got the 528 off the ground...sometimes you gotta cheat a bit to get stronger. I'd bet that in a short amount of time, you'll be cleaning pulling that weight....Congrats on the baby coming up too.

Thanks Bri. I actually locked it out and held it there for a bit. Just that I hitched badly to get it there :tuttut:

mattburns
11-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Good news about the missus pal.

Nowt wrong with a bit of moaning tbh mate, better to let it out than dwell on it. Unlucky with the DL, sure you'll hit that in a meet when you're more up for it.

jed
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Training's in a dark place, but you still managed to lock out 528. That's f***in great man. Even if it was a dirty rep, get your strength back up to par and get with the groove again and you'll destroy that! Good stuff man, keep at it.

Sounds good about your wife, although I really don't know what any of that stuff means. Excited for you though!

borracho
11-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Sucks about the hitching issue but man...that has to feel great to have that weight in your palms. Good job on those front squats...still freaks me out to think about front squats after DLs...looking strong buddy.

-JM-
11-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Good news about the missus pal.

Nowt wrong with a bit of moaning tbh mate, better to let it out than dwell on it. Unlucky with the DL, sure you'll hit that in a meet when you're more up for it.

Training's in a dark place, but you still managed to lock out 528. That's f***in great man. Even if it was a dirty rep, get your strength back up to par and get with the groove again and you'll destroy that! Good stuff man, keep at it.

Sounds good about your wife, although I really don't know what any of that stuff means. Excited for you though!

Sucks about the hitching issue but man...that has to feel great to have that weight in your palms. Good job on those front squats...still freaks me out to think about front squats after DLs...looking strong buddy.

Thanks for all the great words of encouragement fellas. Really appreciated.

Heres the hash of a 528 attempt......
oh and BW is back up to 222. sweeet.

KA6MJGg1jsE

Coke
11-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Fine vid of the smooth deads...you are near the 225 mark, that's great Flynn.

Kiaran
11-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Awesome news about your wife and family dude! Congrats, almost there.

Don't worry bout that deadlift. Thing was so damn close. I'm thinking you probably just need a queue-word to think about and you'll fix that hitch quickly. Something that makes you lock your knees out before locking your hips. I'm going to pretend that you didn't do Front Squats because they are a dead exercise to me. So nice deadlift workout. BTW, that guy on the stairclimber in your video creeps me right the **** out...it's like he's staring at me the entire time...make it stop.

-JM-
11-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Fine vid of the smooth deads...you are near the 225 mark, that's great Flynn.

Thanks coke, a few more Mcdizzle double cheeseburgers and im home..

Awesome news about your wife and family dude! Congrats, almost there.

Don't worry bout that deadlift. Thing was so damn close. I'm thinking you probably just need a queue-word to think about and you'll fix that hitch quickly. Something that makes you lock your knees out before locking your hips. I'm going to pretend that you didn't do Front Squats because they are a dead exercise to me. So nice deadlift workout. BTW, that guy on the stairclimber in your video creeps me right the **** out...it's like he's staring at me the entire time...make it stop.

Thanks Keph. Exciting times. Seems like no time now since our first born (he is 2yrs 4mths now). Its all coming back!
I will fix the DL. Thats the trouble with training alone. Bad stuff starts to happen and no one is there to correct you on it. You guys keep me right though!!

-JM-
11-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Bench 531

Warm ups, usual

Bench
working sets
205x5
225x3
245x1
255x1
265x1
add random spotter
275x1
285x1
290xnearly
came up crooked and spotter reached out and touched the bar. I finished the press and held it though. Had I not done so many lifts prior I think it would have been much cleaner. Not bad considering I was only working up to 265. I need to video these benches but I hate starting to record when I have asked some randomer to spot me.

Incline Bench
up to 220x5

Ghetto T Bars
single arm
1.5pltsx10 (x2 each arm)
add V bar
3.5x10 (x2)

H Rolls
3x10

Face Pulls
2x15

V Bar Pressdowns
3x15

- - - -

Hasten to say it but I am feeling good again.

Dingus
11-26-2009, 09:08 PM
Thats a good workout Flynn, whats the opener? Also best of luck to you and your wife, propers on your fertility!

Coke
11-26-2009, 11:23 PM
Super benching sets bro.

Pete22
11-27-2009, 01:30 PM
Solid benching Flynn, good to hear you're getting back on track.

-JM-
11-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Thats a good workout Flynn, whats the opener? Also best of luck to you and your wife, propers on your fertility!

Thanks for the fertility props my man. Pity my wife is making me get the snip in about 3 months. Joy.

Super benching sets bro.

Cheers Coke.

Solid benching Flynn, good to hear you're getting back on track.

Thanks Pete. I have never been in a rut as such. Sucks ass.

-JM-
11-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Squat 531

This session I was at a local PL club in my home town. A purpose built facility used by only a handful of members since the owner died and the widow wants the place shut down. I had been in contact with a guy through the fed I will be lifting in and turns out that he is Mick from Rocky. I picked him up from his house and we headed down.

He made me squat until I nearly cried although at different stages of the session I think I experienced every single human emotion.

Squats
I lost count of reps, sets and weights tbh. Heaviest was only 310 though and this was taken out for sets of reps and singles. After a few sets of how I would go about squatting, I was made to do exactly what he said and this involved bringing my stance way in for sets of 10 @ 220. Then as more weight went on, my stance was taken out... dunno but it worked and I was hitting serious depth. I am going to be hearing 'get your ****ing knees out' in my sleep tonight.
I also dont train anywhere near hard enough. Having someone barking at me made one hell of a difference.
I squatted for the guts of an hour and I could not do anything else afterwards. Mostly because I was shaking violently.

I am out of this meet on the 5th Dec. My wife is too near to giving birth and it would be a huge stress for her if was to be travelling 3+ hours away. I think the bambino will be here by then anyway but if not, well I am just not taking that chance. This comp seemed reasonable 6 weeks ago.

Anyway, there is a deadlift only meet in March which will be my comp debut.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:w3aZs5Ro1rIZHM:http://askthetrainer.com/image-files/mick-from-rocky.gif

Coke
11-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Good idea to postpone competing in that meet until a later date...excellent you networked and hooked up with dude that way, outrageous squats.

Dingus
11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
The snip huh? Well, at least you won't ever need to wear a rubber again. Hopefully that gym stays open.

EatMyWay2TheTop
11-29-2009, 10:27 AM
Nice sessions lately Flynn :hello:

-JM-
11-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Good idea to postpone competing in that meet until a later date...excellent you networked and hooked up with dude that way, outrageous squats.

Thanks a lot Coke. My hips and groin are still smashed.

The snip huh? Well, at least you won't ever need to wear a rubber again. Hopefully that gym stays open.

This is true. I will prob end up walking around them for a few days. Nah, I think that gym has had it. Unless a buyer steps up soon. Damn shame.

Nice sessions lately Flynn :hello:

Thanks Matt. Lookin forward to you getting back at it.

-JM-
11-29-2009, 02:52 PM
Military 531

Stepmill & Stretching...

Military Press
working sets
130x5
145x3
160x5 ...all I had strict. TBH I just wanted rid of the bar. My left elbow gave out as usual. I really lack decent flexibility in my shoulders.

Dips
BWx10
+33x5
+44x5
+55x5
+66x5
+77x5 PR

VBar Lat Pulldowns
4x8

Rear Delt DB Laterals
3x10

Rope Pressdowns
3x15

- - - -

Cranking it back up. BW- just over 223.

jed
11-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Good lifting in here the past few days, bro. Great benching, too bad that spotter had to touch. If it's an honest bloke worried that you may get injured, then I can accept it. It's when the bastards that think they know everything grab it the first milisecond you start to slow down. I'm sure you'll stick it next time, mate. That's crazy that you got to squat with that guy, cool beans. I really figured he would be passed away by now. Great mili pressing man, 160x5 is solid indeed. Super to hear that you are feeling well again; many PR's to be expected now!

mattburns
11-30-2009, 03:19 PM
Cool stuff about that gym pal, shame it has to close.

Wise move with the meet too, probably best in the long run! Good to see your weight back to a healthier level.

borracho
11-30-2009, 04:55 PM
That sucks about the spotter man....but good pressing any way...and those millies look great too!! Keep up the effort!

Coke
11-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Great stuff with them dips, and everything else for that matter.

-JM-
12-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Good lifting in here the past few days, bro. Great benching, too bad that spotter had to touch. If it's an honest bloke worried that you may get injured, then I can accept it. It's when the bastards that think they know everything grab it the first milisecond you start to slow down. I'm sure you'll stick it next time, mate. That's crazy that you got to squat with that guy, cool beans. I really figured he would be passed away by now. Great mili pressing man, 160x5 is solid indeed. Super to hear that you are feeling well again; many PR's to be expected now!

Thanks Jedley. I suppose when asking random peeps to spot you they can only be as good as you tell them to be?

I really figured he would be passed away by now
You are kidding yes? :)

Cool stuff about that gym pal, shame it has to close.

Wise move with the meet too, probably best in the long run! Good to see your weight back to a healthier level.

Thanks Matt. Yeah, I lost my entry fee and what not but no biggie.

That sucks about the spotter man....but good pressing any way...and those millies look great too!! Keep up the effort!

Cheers duder! Back on track.

Great stuff with them dips, and everything else for that matter.

Thanks a lot Coke!

-JM-
12-02-2009, 01:35 AM
Deadlift Gheyload

Usual WU & Stretching

Conv Deadlift
worked up to
290x5

Box Squat 12''
worked up to
a few sets of 290x2 then back down
~10 sets or so

Lying Leg Curls
3x10

- - - -

Going forward, if I am not begging for the deload to roll around, I am not training hard enough. Deloads will be deloads.

http://theburningbiscuit.com/Pictures%20for%20site/Demotivational%20Posters/incompetence.jpg

jed
12-02-2009, 02:05 AM
That pic was teh lolz. Pretty good weak PoS worthless gaysauce deload there. Who likes deloading anyways.

-JM-
12-02-2009, 02:37 AM
That pic was teh lolz. Pretty good weak PoS worthless gaysauce deload there. Who likes deloading anyways.

Ha ha, perfectly summed up.

brihead301
12-02-2009, 06:45 AM
Damn gheyloads.....they suck every single time! Nice pressing up there bro. Also, that PL squat session where you don't really have a "routine" per se, and you just squat sounds f***ing killer! I imagine if I ever decide to get off my a** and go train with some serious PLers, I'd be doing the same thing. It does sound fun though.

borracho
12-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Good job sticking with the deload bud...looks like you're heading in the right direction!

-JM-
12-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Damn gheyloads.....they suck every single time! Nice pressing up there bro. Also, that PL squat session where you don't really have a "routine" per se, and you just squat sounds f***ing killer! I imagine if I ever decide to get off my a** and go train with some serious PLers, I'd be doing the same thing. It does sound fun though.

Cheers Bri. It was a decent session. The guy was about 150lb dripping wet. Strong little bastard though. He is master 3 class.

Good job sticking with the deload bud...looks like you're heading in the right direction!

Thanks a lot duder!

Sidior
12-03-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm glad to see you located, wiped and are starting to crank it up again.

-JM-
12-03-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm glad to see you located, wiped and are starting to crank it up again.

Like ****ing donkey kong.

-JM-
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Bench Deload

Stretching & Talking

Bench
light weight x lots
245x1
265x1
still working out some set up issues so I needed a little weight to force 'proper' form. Got a sweet hip cramp from trying to get my frikkin heels down? Looked like a tard rolling off the bench to the side with my leg locked straight.
205x10

BB Rows
135x10 (x4)

Rear Delt DB Laterals
4x10

Triceps Ladder
5 heights.

- - - -

That was that.

-JM-
12-04-2009, 05:15 AM
Better than ****tin' yourself. I hope he got that lift.

http://shankillbarbell.bravehost.com/myPictures/the_puker.jpg

Kiaran
12-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Lol, "Gheyload". I like that. I am in exactly the same place, bro. I always go too damn far and deload too late. I never make my deloads what they need to be and wind up overtraining. Practice makes perfect right?

Good call on backing out of that meet. I'll be hitting up my first meet in March (I think) as well. There's always gonna be another and all you got is time really. That's one thing that is always very forgiving about our sport right? Lots of time to compete and work at it. Not like other sports where the window of "prime" is age 17-28 and it's all over.

Your training partner sounds like a nutcase, lol. Did you have nightmares of him yelling at you that evening? Good luck with everything, bro.

Coke
12-04-2009, 09:10 PM
Deload(s) are for real and solid man.

-JM-
12-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Lol, "Gheyload". I like that. I am in exactly the same place, bro. I always go too damn far and deload too late. I never make my deloads what they need to be and wind up overtraining. Practice makes perfect right?

Good call on backing out of that meet. I'll be hitting up my first meet in March (I think) as well. There's always gonna be another and all you got is time really. That's one thing that is always very forgiving about our sport right? Lots of time to compete and work at it. Not like other sports where the window of "prime" is age 17-28 and it's all over.

Your training partner sounds like a nutcase, lol. Did you have nightmares of him yelling at you that evening? Good luck with everything, bro.

Totally agree with you Keph. Train smart and deload often. That will be the key to progress and longevity. Thats true man, as I think you have said before, some of the best PLers around are in their mid to late 30s. Plenty of time to get respectable yet....Lol
That dude wasnt my partner by any means, it was more of a one off. I got a few good pointers though. I will still have to lift unaffiliated which is totally cool.

Deload(s) are for real and solid man.

No doubt Coke. Not to be taken lightly. Thanks bro.

-JM-
12-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Squat Deload

Long WU and stretching.

Squat
135x10
180x10
220x8
245x8
270x5
290x5
310x5
180x10 (x3)

Lying Leg Curls
4x10

- - - -

Good session, feeling good. Right hip is giving me bother though. I will foam roll the **** out of it and stretch as much as I can. De Francos agile 8 is a pretty good little set.

Coke
12-05-2009, 07:58 PM
Pretty good squats Flynn.

EatMyWay2TheTop
12-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Good session mate. I've seen you're going to enter a deadlift meet in December, what number are you shooting for ?

jed
12-07-2009, 11:43 PM
Great squats for a deload, man. Sucks about the hip cramp, those mofos sneak up on you. Flexor?

brihead301
12-08-2009, 07:38 AM
For a deload, you surely do a lot of work. I'm the same way though....I can't seem to ever just chill when I go to lift, which is why deloads are so damn difficult for me to actually do.

-JM-
12-08-2009, 08:31 AM
Pretty good squats Flynn.

Thanks a lot dude.

Good session mate. I've seen you're going to enter a deadlift meet in December, what number are you shooting for ?

Oh no its actually March. A clean 530-535 would be nice. Cheers Matt.

Great squats for a deload, man. Sucks about the hip cramp, those mofos sneak up on you. Flexor?

Yeah, damn geriatric hips. LOL, I need to work on them. Thanks Jed!

For a deload, you surely do a lot of work. I'm the same way though....I can't seem to ever just chill when I go to lift, which is why deloads are so damn difficult for me to actually do.

I know Bri. Its an illness and will lead to my demise. Plan is, from tonight, to train so brutally hard that I will NEED to deload. Thats the plan anyway.

borracho
12-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Nice deloads..is that squat session seriously a deload?

:D

Lookin good flynn

-JM-
12-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Nice deloads..is that squat session seriously a deload?

:D

Lookin good flynn

Ha ha, no, but I was just feeling good. I hadnt done anything decent for more than a month.

-JM-
12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
10 Min WU

Conv Deadlift
worked up to
412x9 PR

Box Squats 12" & Wide Stance
130x6
220x2 (x8)

GMs Close Stance, arched back
(aka face exploders)
110x10
175x8
205x6
220x6
prob went lower than I needed to with these hence my head nearly exploding.

Calves
on leg press
4x15

- - - -

The top set of deads was an abortion. The first rep smacked off two plates that some douche had stripped off the leg press and set beside me so I took two steps back with the bar in my hands at the top of the lift and decided to pull like a maniac. I thought it was ten but hey. I will put the video up for a bit of humour. There was also a moron walking to and fro behind me....meh, gotta love commercial gyms.

Cmanuel
12-08-2009, 04:28 PM
nice DL ! cant wait to see the vid dooooood.

Getting back into it this week with my 531 (took a break for my meet), hope i can match that set of deads! (seems like we have similar numbesr all around.)

Keep it up mate.

-JM-
12-08-2009, 04:47 PM
nice DL ! cant wait to see the vid dooooood.

Getting back into it this week with my 531 (took a break for my meet), hope i can match that set of deads! (seems like we have similar numbesr all around.)

Keep it up mate.

Thanks mate. You had a fantastic meet. I didnt get to go to mine unfortunately. It was Saturday past.

Heres the vid...
LMXtys6_76Q

Pete22
12-08-2009, 05:00 PM
Nice pulls man, way to re-group after hitting those plates. Maybe you've invented a new variation... walking deads?:evillaugh:

-JM-
12-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Nice pulls man, way to re-group after hitting those plates. Maybe you've invented a new variation... walking deads?:evillaugh:

ha ha, cheers pete. Excellent name for them. One of the most ******ed things I could possibly do right? I could have really ****ed my back. I was pumped for the set and I wasnt about to start over so I cracked on...

Barbaccio
12-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I kinda got caught up in watching the blonde behind you but from what I did see, I want to smack the **** out of you for walking with the damned bar. You'd have gotten at least 2 or 3 more if it wasn't for that! Other than that, she hot, I mean, yeah, good stuff! Hmmm and she's a good Irish girl too......

borracho
12-08-2009, 05:40 PM
Nice DLs bud...glad to see you stuck it out after the incident and went for it.

Coke
12-08-2009, 07:59 PM
The deads with reps were very smooth, nice overall effort.

ZenMonkey
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Awesome pulling man! That blondie was checkin your beastly efforts!

-JM-
12-09-2009, 01:05 AM
I kinda got caught up in watching the blonde behind you but from what I did see, I want to smack the **** out of you for walking with the damned bar. You'd have gotten at least 2 or 3 more if it wasn't for that! Other than that, she hot, I mean, yeah, good stuff! Hmmm and she's a good Irish girl too......

I know. I am a moron. I knew straight away when I did it. 430x10 for next week.

Nice DLs bud...glad to see you stuck it out after the incident and went for it.

Cheers duder.

The deads with reps were very smooth, nice overall effort.

Thanks Coke!

Awesome pulling man! That blondie was checkin your beastly efforts!

Ha ha, I think she was waiting for me to move my fat ass. Cheers ZM!

jed
12-09-2009, 01:50 AM
Phenominal deadlifting my man, you really smashed that set! Props on regrouping, and looks like you know how to get the ladies attention in the gym, too ;) Solid efforts after the deads, also. Why 8 sets of 2 for box squat?

-JM-
12-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Phenominal deadlifting my man, you really smashed that set! Props on regrouping, and looks like you know how to get the ladies attention in the gym, too ;) Solid efforts after the deads, also. Why 8 sets of 2 for box squat?

Thanks mang!

Re the Box Squats, I just do more of a speed and explosiveness effort. I also really need to learn to sit right back and down. I have a tendancy to lean forward at the bottom which does natha for depth.

brihead301
12-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Haha, I noticed the blonde checkin you out too. Chicks dig a dude that can DL a lot of weight. She definately wanted your Johnson dude. Nice liftin!

Kiaran
12-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Lol at "face exploders". GMs are hard as hell. That deadlift is a freakshow, bro. Well done, I know what you mean by "I thought I did 10." I always do that and then I watch my video and count like 8 or 9 and am like "wtf?" You pulled those deads quick and easy, and the hitch is getting smoother. I lol'd at the chick watching you like you were in her way. Liking the box squats as well, how low do you think that box puts you?

-JM-
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Haha, I noticed the blonde checkin you out too. Chicks dig a dude that can DL a lot of weight. She definately wanted your Johnson dude. Nice liftin!

Ha ha ...thanks man. I think I was in her way.

Lol at "face exploders". GMs are hard as hell. That deadlift is a freakshow, bro. Well done, I know what you mean by "I thought I did 10." I always do that and then I watch my video and count like 8 or 9 and am like "wtf?" You pulled those deads quick and easy, and the hitch is getting smoother. I lol'd at the chick watching you like you were in her way. Liking the box squats as well, how low do you think that box puts you?

Cheers K. I know they were pretty fast but I was more happy at the less of a hitch which really only started towards the end. Those Box Squats put the crease of my hip at least 1-2'' below paralell.

mattburns
12-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Ridiculous deads mate. Absolutely ridiculous. Great stuff pal.

-JM-
12-09-2009, 03:54 PM
A lot of stretching

Bench
worked up to
242x7

Low Inc DB
70sx10
75sx10 (x2)
75sx6

DB Rows per arm
80x10
100x10 (x2)
add straps
100x15

V Bar Pressdowns
4x15

- - - -

Target was 10 reps on top bench set but I just gassed. Paused at the top for way to long on the 6th rep and just lost the flow. Worked hard to the point that I didnt enjoy the session but I was really happy with it afterwards.

http://turntabling.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Bad-album-covers-Swing-That-Gospel-Axe.jpg

-JM-
12-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Ridiculous deads mate. Absolutely ridiculous. Great stuff pal.

Cheers big man! Your 550 aint to shabby either....holy ****!!

Cmanuel
12-09-2009, 04:14 PM
haha your log is funny. What a crazy picture. Are you going to compete any?

-JM-
12-09-2009, 04:19 PM
haha your log is funny. What a crazy picture. Are you going to compete any?

Yeah, I will be doing a deadlift only comp in March. I just missed a full unequipped meet saturday past. My entry fee was paid and me name was on the board. My wife is heavily pregnant and due any day. Since the meet was 3+hrs away I pulled out the week before.....and of course the bambino still hasnt arrived!!

ZenMonkey
12-09-2009, 08:22 PM
Strong rowing there FLynn! Nice lookin WO there!

Brian C
12-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Yo Flynn, really great work bro. DLs were killer

Dingus
12-09-2009, 08:53 PM
Good workout Flynn, do you keep track of all your different rep PR's for the big lifts?

borracho
12-09-2009, 09:44 PM
My wife is heavily pregnant and due any day. Since the meet was 3+hrs away I pulled out the week before.....and of course the bambino still hasnt arrived!!

You made the right decision buddy...

And the bench session looked awesome!!! 242x7 is pretty slick...and 15 reps for the DB rows? Yikes...

Good job man!

jed
12-10-2009, 02:15 AM
Great session there, mate. 242 for se7en is still a solid set, don't feel down. That DB rowing is nuts, do you really feel it a lot in your lats, or elsewhere?

Coke
12-10-2009, 10:07 AM
That's a nice session Flynn...you really went old school country with the pic, lol.

EatMyWay2TheTop
12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Bad ass deads

-JM-
12-11-2009, 01:31 AM
Strong rowing there FLynn! Nice lookin WO there!

Thanks Zen. They make me wanna puke everytime.

Yo Flynn, really great work bro. DLs were killer

Thanks mate. I need some of that attitude your were slingin' about the other day ha ha!

Good workout Flynn, do you keep track of all your different rep PR's for the big lifts?

Cheers Dingus. Yeah I do keep track...well until I asked for my last journal to be locked and it got totally deleted. Bummer.

You made the right decision buddy...

And the bench session looked awesome!!! 242x7 is pretty slick...and 15 reps for the DB rows? Yikes...

Good job man!

Cheers mang! I did make the right decision. Still no sign.

Great session there, mate. 242 for se7en is still a solid set, don't feel down. That DB rowing is nuts, do you really feel it a lot in your lats, or elsewhere?

Cheers Jedley! Yeah, I have dropped the weight in the rows a bit so that I can do them properly and try not to twist/hump the DB up. My last are pretty toasted but I was DLing the day before.

That's a nice session Flynn...you really went old school country with the pic, lol.

Ha ha, Cheers Coke. They dont make album covers as awesome as that anymore.

Bad ass deads

Merci Matt!

-JM-
12-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Got PJ Tickets for June.....FTMFW

-JM-
12-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Squat Jumps & Stretching
I felt super toight going in. Spent a long time trying to heat up and loosen up.

Squat
worked up to
325x8

Right hamstring tweaked during WU sets. I was stiff as a ****in' board. Anyway, I went close(r) stance and high bar for the working sets.

Leg Press
4x10 (stack)

Rack Pulls
off boxes, bar at mid shin
220x10
264x8
310x8
440x6
485x2

far too low, and I got greedy at the end. Every intention of going for another six but the sharks teeth knurling removed 4 callouses and I called it a day. ****ty bar was whippy as **** too.

- - - -

I need to really work on my hamstrings.

I had the 3rd and final session of dental work done yesterday which is great. I didnt however eat much all day which is crap. I also got the bill which was the worst. Platinum grills are expensive these days...:D

JSully
12-11-2009, 04:03 PM
I want your avatar on a tshirt, ****ing awesome..

nice squatting as well.

what is "PJ"?

-JM-
12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
I want your avatar on a tshirt, ****ing awesome..

nice squatting as well.

what is "PJ"?

Its from a T shirt! There are a bunch of different ones. I think its a UK company though. Let me find it.

PJ - Pearl Jam

Sidior
12-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Nice training aside from that tweaked hammy. GMs dude, GMs dude!

-JM-
12-11-2009, 04:23 PM
Nice training aside from that tweaked hammy. GMs dude, GMs dude!

Ok GMs it is. That is actually what I thought. I was actually meant to do super wide arched back GMs tonight but I didnt because of the Hstring. I also need to hunt out a really good stretching routine to follow daily that is gonna increase my ****y flexibility. I felt sooo wooden tonight.

borracho
12-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Its from a T shirt! There are a bunch of different ones. I think its a UK company though. Let me find it.

PJ - Pearl Jam

Thats awesome!!! I'd be into a DLing shirt.

Anyway...nice session man...looks like you got a nice healthy set of squats in...sucks about the hamstring deal though.

And I hear you about the ripped callous...that **** always sucks...but you got some nice pulls in either way!

Dingus
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Pearl Jam is awesome. I've never seen them live and heard they are sick, I am very jealous of you.

Coke
12-12-2009, 10:43 AM
I need to be doing some GMs too...session was solid just the same guy.