PDA

View Full Version : Another Squat PR last night

BigTallOx
10-20-2009, 09:57 AM
I squatted 555 and then 585 ( the first time I've tried either weight before ), video below. I didn't have my tripod so the camera angle isn't the best. The 585 may be slightly high ( it's hard to tell from the crappy camera angle ), but personally I don't care because it was close enough to depth that after doing this one I know I can squat it to depth no problem since it came up super easy. I don't know if you can really hear it on the video but my buddies were asking each other if anybody helped me up. LOL.

jvBWjTusN_0

Polish Hammer
10-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Damn dude, you have been killing it lately. Looked pretty deep even with the bad angle. Congrats!

Detard
10-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Awesome squat BTO. That depth looked perfect

Chris Rodgers
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
585 came up easy! Time to put 600+ on there!

Beverly McD.
10-21-2009, 09:05 AM
585 came up easy! Time to put 600+ on there!

Agreed! Nice lifting BTO.

evilxxx
10-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Your speed at 585 seems quicker than mine...next time just go straight to 605-615.

Jay1
10-22-2009, 01:42 AM
Nice lifts!

Ryan Hale
10-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Ox,I mean this in the best way,you are a big strong f'er. :hello:

Ryan Hale

rbtrout
10-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Great job, BTO! Keep up the good work.

BigTallOx
10-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Thanks everybody. On my next ME squat session with straight weight, I'll definitely skip doing 555 so I have enough left in me to go over 600. ( I think I still have quite a bit more in me. I don't think 650-ish is out of the question. )

Ox,I mean this in the best way,you are a big strong f'er. :hello:

Ryan Hale

LOL, thanks.

ScottYard
10-23-2009, 01:10 PM
When you do a meet do you use the last hole on the monolift?

BigTallOx
10-23-2009, 01:32 PM
When you do a meet do you use the last hole on the monolift?

My monolift setting is 23 in, ie second to the last hole. I can unrack it when it's on 24 ( the highest hole ) but I prefer it to be a little lower when I rack it.

ScottYard
10-24-2009, 11:25 AM
Nice!

dammstrate
10-24-2009, 07:30 PM
That looks like a boss suit. If so, you will be amazed how much more you can get out of it with a wider stance. Can't see the bottom, but it looks like your stance is even narrower than the rack. A wider stance will allow you to be more upright in the hole, and dramatically increase the pop out of the hole. I am 6'3" and take up almost the whole width of the mono. Below is a vid of my son, who is almost 6'8 and weighs about 330. He is getting max help in the hole on these box squats from his wide stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiU97Lypo1c

Excellent progress. Taller guys can squat too! Keep it up!

DieselWarrior
10-24-2009, 07:39 PM
U are one big ass strong dude- nice work. The camera is real clear too.

If nothing else, get a little tripod, it fits in the pocket and works well. What camcorder/camera are you running?

Andrew

BigTallOx
10-24-2009, 08:25 PM
That looks like a boss suit. If so, you will be amazed how much more you can get out of it with a wider stance. Can't see the bottom, but it looks like your stance is even narrower than the rack. A wider stance will allow you to be more upright in the hole, and dramatically increase the pop out of the hole. I am 6'3" and take up almost the whole width of the mono. Below is a vid of my son, who is almost 6'8 and weighs about 330. He is getting max help in the hole on these box squats from his wide stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiU97Lypo1c

Excellent progress. Taller guys can squat too! Keep it up!

I can't view the video you posted right now. But yes, I know I could get more of the suit if I could go wider, but right now my hips won't let me do that. I'm working on it though, I'll get there eventually.

You're right tall guys can squat, I'm amazed with my squat progress lately, and it's only getting better. I love squatting, and I feel that even with my really long legs, I'm pretty decent at squatting, and I've got a ton in me still. I'm going to squat 800+ eventually, I guarantee it!

BigTallOx
10-24-2009, 08:31 PM
U are one big ass strong dude- nice work.

Thanks man. I needed to hear that after a crappy ME bench session today.

UIf nothing else, get a little tripod, it fits in the pocket and works well. What camcorder/camera are you running?

I have a tripod, I just forgot it that day. The camera is just a cheap little thing I bought at walgreens for like $70 a few months ago. It's not most durable camera but it takes pretty good video. I'm very happy with it. I video all my training with it lately.

DieselWarrior
10-25-2009, 09:53 AM
What is an ME bench session? Thats a term Im not used to. (n00b here)

ThomasG
10-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Nice lift! You plan on hitting 600+ by feb?

BigTallOx
10-25-2009, 10:08 AM
What is an ME bench session? Thats a term Im not used to. (n00b here)

ME = Max Effort.

Benching basically sucked yesterday. It seems that I have a saturday like that every few months, but usually it also means two weeks after it, my max goes up, so it's not really a big deal.

BigTallOx
10-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Nice lift! You plan on hitting 600+ by feb?

I plan on hitting 600+ next week. I'm hoping 650+ ( maybe more ) by feb.

DieselWarrior
10-25-2009, 02:25 PM
ME = Max Effort.
Got it! Now, can you please define max effort in lifting terms? What would make something an ME lift rather than a PR? Thanks for the instruction.

Andrew

bump..
just found this:
http://articles.webraydian.com/article22860-Why_is_Maximal_Effort_Lifting_So_Effective.html

dynamo
10-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Hey BTO if I remember correctly you were pretty strong right off the bat from posting on here, were you lifting before WBB regularly or did you get alot of your strength from a job you had or something of that nature? sweet PR too, I love it when people go out of their way to break misconceptions of not being able to do something because they're the wrong body type. You're damn tall and you rocked that squat!

BigTallOx
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
Hey BTO if I remember correctly you were pretty strong right off the bat from posting on here, were you lifting before WBB regularly or did you get alot of your strength from a job you had or something of that nature?

As a software engineer, the only way my job has given me strength is that it allows me to recover from my training since I sit in from of a computer 9+ hours a day, LOL.

I had been lifting for a while, but I basically didn't know what I was going ( looking back, I didn't know what I was doing for A LONG time ). When I first started lifting back in college, I lifted with a few fraternity brothers who actually knew what they were doing. They taught me how to squat, back then I think my max squat was around 380-ish ( this was 25 years ago ). But after I graduated college, I moved across the country and the gym where I lifted didn't have a squat rack, but they had tons of machines, so my workout changed accordingly. I didn't squat for around 22+ years, and for years I was doing what I guess is a pretty typical bodybuilder type routine, and never really made much progress. I had problems with my right knee and lower back ( I have scoliosis ) and pretty much made excuses to myself. I also made excuses about benching with my long arms, so I basically never tried to push myself. I found this site and kind of woke up and realized that I wanted to be strong, but I wasn't strong and the excuses weren't getting me strong. Spring of 2008 I started squatting, I could barely squat 225. Summer of 2008 I started deadlifting and entered my first push/pull meet 3 weeks after that, I deadlifted just over 400 at that meet and benched something like 280 raw ( I can probably bench 280 for 15 reps now, lol ).

sweet PR too, I love it when people go out of their way to break misconceptions of not being able to do something because they're the wrong body type. You're damn tall and you rocked that squat!

Thanks. I love squatting, well I love powerlifting in general. I no longer have problems with my knee or lower back and I attribute it to squatting and deadlifting.

BigTallOx
10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Now, can you please define max effort in lifting terms? What would make something an ME lift rather than a PR?

Max effort means ( for me anyway ) working up to a max for that day. A lot of times it's a max single sometimes it's a max double or triple. But a PR is your all time "Personal record" for the given lift. When I first started out, most max effort sessions resulted in PR's, however over time this stops being the case ( because it's just too taxing on the body to always be trying for PR's ). So, I don't always attempt a weight that would be a PR in my max effort sessions lately, especially for benching.

DieselWarrior
10-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Thank u ox, very helpful.

Miska
10-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Nice progress Ox!