PDA

View Full Version : Sugar

thereturn
10-20-2009, 05:16 PM
At the moment I'm trying to hit around 300g of carbs a day, but most of this is coming from sugar (low fat yogurt and milk). I am bulking but getting a bit fatter than I would like, is excess sugar contributing to this? I know my protein is a little low but I have been working on that.

Is there some sort of number i should be aiming to keep below in regards to sugar intake? stats are below

6'2
235lbs/108kg - no set goal just going until i feel i need to lose a couple
macro breakdown:
approx 110g fats
300g protein
300g carbs
this is around 3300 cals/day

sharkall2003
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
No, sugar from milk and yogurt is fine. Stay away from fruit juices, regular sugar, soda.

LuNa
10-20-2009, 06:21 PM
At the moment I'm trying to hit around 300g of carbs a day, but most of this is coming from sugar (low fat yogurt and milk). I am bulking but getting a bit fatter than I would like, is excess sugar contributing to this? I know my protein is a little low but I have been working on that.

Is there some sort of number i should be aiming to keep below in regards to sugar intake? stats are below

6'2
235lbs/108kg - no set goal just going until i feel i need to lose a couple
macro breakdown:
approx 110g fats
300g protein
300g carbs
this is around 3300 cals/day

Protein doesnt seem low to me at all. Dairy can often cause a bit of bloat or water retention so that might be the cause. As said, what you are doing seems to be just fine.

thereturn
10-20-2009, 11:41 PM
Protein doesnt seem low to me at all.

sorry, what i meant was, i dont always hit my target.

earthbuddy1
10-22-2009, 09:51 AM
For what its worth, I have been told that the sugary items will process fast and spike insulin causing your body to store what it gets. Thats good post work out when you get a protein shake. Not good through out the day. The milk and yogurt may be seen by the body as a sugar and may cause an insulin spike rather than just a rise which might make the body store the calories as fat. Make the most of your carb intake and any starches you eat, combine them with fiber loaded carbs like veggies. Eat lean protein, starchy carb and fiber carb. Dont eat simple carbs like breads and sugars alone or with fat. Eat them with lean protein and fiber carbs like veggies. Eat all whole grains not foods just made from wheat meal or some other processed flour or meal. Eat lots of quinia, brown rice and potatoes along with the veggies. Keep it clean and watch those sugars. Sugar, or processed foods are mostly seen by the body as sugar and high glycemic . These tell the insulin to spike, not just keep level and thus will grab and store.

Just some stuff I have been told by those who know far more than I do. Dont just take my word for it though, check out more research on what I have mentioned on this board, other boards and on the web. Then adjust your plan as needed. You may just have too many calories.

LuNa
10-22-2009, 02:41 PM
This (http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/eating-optimally-for-massive-size-and-strength/) might be interesting. The discussion to this article can be found here. (http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127649)