PDA

View Full Version : ME Bench rotation

slashkills
10-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Im looking to try some new ME upper movements and im looking for suggestions. Here are some things i might try. If you guys could give your opinions on these lifts for a relatively weak raw lifter that would be great. My max is 210lbs.

floor press w/ foam under elbows
bench w/ foam boards
reverse band bench
band bench

do you think those would benefit a raw bencher w/ a 210 max?

SELK
10-20-2009, 05:53 PM
I would keep it very simple if you want to do westside,

Floor Press
2 board
Full ROM bench
Inclines for reps

or something similar to that. No need to get fancy at all.

slashkills
10-20-2009, 05:56 PM
My bench progress has slowed and im just looking for some new things to throw in to mix it up every now and then. Im also just looking for some new fun things to try. My sticking point is right around my chest to 2board area. So im looking for things to hit my weak points.

Morgan McPherson
10-20-2009, 06:19 PM
I like decline. You can handle a lot of weight, usually more that your max. It's a lot of fun.

NickAus
10-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Floor press
2 board
Illegal wide reps
Full range bench
Full range close grip bench

If you plan on using bands use the micro mini's

Pete22
10-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I would keep it very simple if you want to do westside,

Floor Press
2 board
Full ROM bench
Inclines for reps

or something similar to that. No need to get fancy at all.

I like these for a raw lifter. You can mix it up by adding bands, chains or reverse bands, but these four are pretty solid.

OGROK
10-20-2009, 07:14 PM
Floor press
2 board
Illegal wide reps
Full range bench
Full range close grip bench

I'm voting for this one, good bench cycle.

vdizenzo
10-20-2009, 07:23 PM
Im looking to try some new ME upper movements and im looking for suggestions. Here are some things i might try. If you guys could give your opinions on these lifts for a relatively weak raw lifter that would be great. My max is 210lbs.

bench w/ foam boards
reverse band bench
band bench

I think your list is great. Go with it for 3 months and then test your raw max. Don't go for it any earlier.

slashkills
10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
why shouldnt i test my max for 3 months? should i do 3rm and 5rm instead of 1rm? how can i work in bands, could i do doubled minis? would that give me enough tension around my chest to help my since im weak near the chest?

sorry for all the questions, i appreciate the help.

slashkills
10-20-2009, 07:32 PM
I like these for a raw lifter. You can mix it up by adding bands, chains or reverse bands, but these four are pretty solid.

These are what im already doing and have been doing for like 8 or so months. Im just looking for something new to throw in once in a while.
thanks for the help guys

NickAus
10-20-2009, 07:39 PM

bench w/ foam boards
reverse band bench
band bench

The only thing I would say if you do this rotation is make sure your suplemental lifts hit the lower part of the bench hard as the lifts on your list mainly work the lock-out.
I'm sure you had that planned just trying to help in case.

OGROK
10-20-2009, 07:45 PM
Do reverse bands help with raw benching? I was thinking of getting a pair of greens but not sure if it's more for shirted pressing, or if the greens would add too much support (flat bench is around 290-300ish right now id guess).

nickp8
10-20-2009, 07:47 PM
With your current strength level your best bet might be sticking with full range bench with sub maximal weights. Use 75 to 90 percent of your max and hit some higher reps, and stick with the partial range of motion movements as a second exercise. The extra reps with normal bench will also help with your form.

NickAus
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Do reverse bands help with raw benching? I was thinking of getting a pair of greens but not sure if it's more for shirted pressing, or if the greens would add too much support (flat bench is around 290-300ish right now id guess).

Go with the light bands instead of the averages this way the contrast is less.

Reverse bands will get you used to bigger weights.

T o m m Y
10-20-2009, 07:48 PM
You should just do 5/3/1...

jbrin0tk
10-20-2009, 07:54 PM
why shouldnt i test my max for 3 months? should i do 3rm and 5rm instead of 1rm? how can i work in bands, could i do doubled minis? would that give me enough tension around my chest to help my since im weak near the chest?

Slash, I think what he is saying is that you shouldn't test your max with straight weight to the chest for 3 months. You can go with a 1rm floor press, 1rm press against band tension, etc., just not a straight weight max. He's saying you need to give it time to work.

OGROK
10-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Go with the light bands instead of the averages this way the contrast is less.

Reverse bands will get you used to bigger weights.

Thanks Nick. I'll stick with the light bands.

vdizenzo
10-20-2009, 08:19 PM

You should be hitting a 1rm max on each exercise in your rotation. Raw full rom bench is not in your rotation. I deduce you are trying to improve your bench, hence the routine. Well, work your routine for three months and then go for a straight weight, raw, full rom bench, and crush a pr.

Clifford Gillmore
10-20-2009, 09:56 PM
You should be hitting a 1rm max on each exercise in your rotation. Raw full rom bench is not in your rotation. I deduce you are trying to improve your bench, hence the routine. Well, work your routine for three months and then go for a straight weight, raw, full rom bench, and crush a pr.

This is fantastic advice, I went through that stage of testing my strength every week rather than building it. If I had done what Vincent has suggest I would be stronger, and therefore happier.

MarcusWild
10-20-2009, 11:48 PM
I think the rotation of ME movements part has been covered. I think you'd benefit from doing 1-3 drop sets of 5 reps after you max on that day's movement. The volume will help. Also, increase your lat work because it'll make you stronger off the chest.

NickAus
10-21-2009, 03:17 AM
I think the rotation of ME movements part has been covered. I think you'd benefit from doing 1-3 drop sets of 5 reps after you max on that day's movement. The volume will help. Also, increase your lat work because it'll make you stronger off the chest.

Yep good idea.

Beefcaker
10-21-2009, 09:41 AM
That's a whole lot of full range. In an 8 week cycle, I might go full range once or twice on ME movements.

Where is your weak point?

edit - Sorry should have read the whole thread before posting.:tuttut: . . . . . I am not that far ahead of you in the raw bench, and I have had a good bit of success with 5/3/1. Give it a thought.

Brian C
10-21-2009, 09:44 AM
I agree that 5-3-1 is your best bet.

T o m m Y
10-21-2009, 02:26 PM
,x2 on the 5/3/1 like i said a few post ago..I see you were doing it back in sept and then i guess you stopped? How come? It semed like you were making good progress.

slashkills
10-21-2009, 05:39 PM
I like 531 and want to give it a shot but i have a training partner now who is doing westside and i just want to be on the same routine as my partner because i think thats best. Thanks for the advice everyone.

here is what i did today and i feel sore as hell

close grip bench press w/ doubled minis
wide grip bench
jm press
db rows
push press

nickp8
10-21-2009, 05:46 PM
That's a whole lot of pressing without much pulling. If you want a big bench you need a big back. Just a suggestion but you might want change some of those accessory lifts, maybe take out the push press and throw in another back movement.

slashkills
10-21-2009, 06:08 PM
I do deads for back work on ME Lower

NickAus
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
I do deads for back work on ME Lower

Not enough, you need to do rowing type movements and some pull-downs as well as rear delts.

All of the big benchers do tons of upper back.

Hope this helps!

NickAus
10-21-2009, 06:18 PM
I like 531 and want to give it a shot but i have a training partner now who is doing westside and i just want to be on the same routine as my partner because i think thats best. Thanks for the advice everyone.

here is what i did today and i feel sore as hell

close grip bench press w/ doubled minis
wide grip bench
jm press
db rows
push press

Sorry, did not read this.

Still back work is very important.

Ajack
10-21-2009, 06:19 PM
If I were you I'd just do starting strength for a while. I can almost guarentee, in a month you be doing your 3x5s with 210 (provided adequate rest and food). Add dips and chins to supplement your bench if you like. I've been doing it for two months now and I squat reps with what my max box squat was before I started and have put 25lbs on my bench with sub maximal weights. But it's up to you. IMO linear progression is the fastest way to progress through these relatively light weights, beginner/intermediate stages. Push it until it stalls hard.

-Ajack

NickAus
10-21-2009, 06:19 PM
That's a whole lot of pressing without much pulling. If you want a big bench you need a big back. Just a suggestion but you might want change some of those accessory lifts, maybe take out the push press and throw in another back movement.

I agree.

vdizenzo
10-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Gotta work those lats for a big bench.

slashkills
10-22-2009, 05:41 AM
alright thanks guys. Ill do more upper back work on bench days.

nickp8
10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I don't know what your other training days look like but if you are not doing pull ups you should throw those in. Just make sure that at minimum you are pulling just as much as you are pressing if not more. For example for the week I have 3 pressing movements(not inc. pushdowns) and 4 or 5 pulling movements.

vdizenzo
10-22-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't know what your other training days look like but if you are not doing pull ups you should throw those in. Just make sure that at minimum you are pulling just as much as you are pressing if not more. For example for the week I have 3 pressing movements(not inc. pushdowns) and 4 or 5 pulling movements.

Great advice.

slashkills
10-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Thanks. Im going to do DB rows and chin ups/pull ups on ME bench days. i might have more but pressing movements but as long as i get as many reps in pulling as i do pushing i should be ok right?

nickp8
10-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Post your weekly program, that will help me get a better idea of what you are doing.

slashkills
10-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Mon-matt rhodes raw squat routine
squat
posterior chain movement
back movement

wed-ME bench
bench movement
tricep work
tricep work
lats
shoulders

sat-DE Upper
de bench
light tricep
light shoulder
light upper back stuff

nickp8
10-22-2009, 08:20 PM
Here is one way you could do it (keep in mind this is just my humble advice and guys like vdizenzo know much more than me)

Wed. ME Bench

Bench movement
Tricep work
Pull ups/ Chin ups
Heavy DB Rows
Plate Raises/ Face Pulls/ Side Raises/ DB Cleans
(for shoulders just do something that isn't a press unless that is your main movement like in 5/3/1)

Sat. DE Bench

DE Bench
Chest Supported Row/ High Rep DB Row/ Pull Ups/ Lat Pulldowns
Light Tricep Work
DB Cleans/ Face Pulls/ Shrugs/ Plate Raises(these hit the upper back and shoulders so it's just some better "bang for your buck" exercises)

Like I said before this is just one way it could work and has worked extremely well for me wait and see what some of the other guys recommend and go with what you feel will work best just don't neglect back. Obviously there are a ton of choices for back exercises but these all work extremely well. Don't kill yourself on both days, keep your DE day lighter like you already have it.

slashkills
10-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Ok thanks for the advice. I like the way you have that layed out and ill give it a shot a next week.