PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Journal - FEARING THE SQUAT!

rocklee
10-21-2009, 04:55 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm new here on wbb, been reading for a while so thought I'd start posting up my workouts for some motivation :). (26/M/Aussie)

I'm starting a new 5x5 routine based on stronglifts, I like this forum so I'd rather post here :hello:

Alright here goes nothing...

Wednesday 21 Oct 2009

First 5x5 session.

Background info:
Yes... I suck at squatting, I'm scared of getting under the bar pushing.. looking upwards and then blacking out :drooling:

Been training for bout 2 years and going from piss weak and fat to your average gym goer, I want to be big and strong and eat babies for breakfast.

I train at a local gym/home gym and hoping to build some real strength with SL 5x5.

Current stats...
80kg @ 20% bf (yes this is after a bulk)
DL: 110 Kg 1RM
BP: 100 Kg 5RM
Squat: 80 Kg 5RM
(Yes my squat is totally out of proportion and sucks ass.. l will improve this)

My Goals
By July 2010
Weight: Don't care too much
BF: Under 15%
DL: 130 Kg
BP: 110 Kg
Squat: 100 kg <--- This is gunna be damn tough... damned...tough

* Will be squatting 3 times a week (working out 3 times a week based on SL 5x5)

Workout:
This is what I did today, started light as this was the first session:
Squat: 5x50kg (Felt a bit awkward for some reason.. I think this may be psychological)
Bench: 5x50kg
Rows: 5x30kg
Pushups: 3xF (50|49|30)
Rev Crunches: 3x12 (12|10F|10F) <-- Felt like I was going to die

Clifford Gillmore
10-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Hey Rocklee, welcome to WBB! Where in aus are you from?

rocklee
10-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi mate,

I'm from Sydney Australia. Home of vegemite

LuNa
10-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Good on ya to start a journal. Im in Sydney as well at the moment, studying, but will be going back to my home country (Holland) relatively soon.

What does 5x5 look like. Is it 5 reps for the main lifts or do you do 5 sets of 5 weights across?

Good luck with the goals, they look attainable.

NickAus
10-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Way down this road, in a gym far away, A young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do, my legs won't grow" He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses too Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the BIG men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty-fives, A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees. Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack Chalking his hands and monstrous back, said, "Boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, The trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'." DALE CLARK, 1983

rocklee
10-22-2009, 12:51 AM
Good on ya to start a journal. Im in Sydney as well at the moment, studying, but will be going back to my home country (Holland) relatively soon.

What does 5x5 look like. Is it 5 reps for the main lifts or do you do 5 sets of 5 weights across?

Good luck with the goals, they look attainable.

Hi mate, yeah hopefully my legs start getting some strength.
the 5x5 is across for everything, that being said though the program only includes the main lifts e.g. DL/BP/Squats + some overheadpresses.

Idea is to increase by 2.5k (yes this is quite tough later on) each workout until you fail then drop back say 20% and repeat...

I've always done the usual 8-12 rep range, thought I'd build some real strength, sick of looking like a noob at the squat rack :(

Your deads and squat is impressive, must have nice wheels :evillaugh:

rocklee
10-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Way down this road, in a gym far away, A young man was once heard to say, "I've repped high and I've repped low, No matter what I do, my legs won't grow" He tried leg extensions, leg curls, and leg presses too Trying to cheat, these sissy workouts he'd do. From the corner of the gym where the BIG men train, Through a cloud of chalk and the midst of pain Where the big iron rides high and threatens lives, Where the noise is made with big forty-fives, A deep voice bellowed as he wrapped his knees, A very big man with legs like trees. Laughing as he snatched another plate from the stack Chalking his hands and monstrous back, said, "Boy, stop lying and don't say you've forgotten, The trouble with you is you ain't been SQUATTIN'." DALE CLARK, 1983

wow.. that brought a tear to my eye... just beautiful :cry:

LuNa
10-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Hi mate, yeah hopefully my legs start getting some strength.
the 5x5 is across for everything, that being said though the program only includes the main lifts e.g. DL/BP/Squats + some overheadpresses.

Idea is to increase by 2.5k (yes this is quite tough later on) each workout until you fail then drop back say 20% and repeat...

I've always done the usual 8-12 rep range, thought I'd build some real strength, sick of looking like a noob at the squat rack :(

Your deads and squat is impressive, must have nice wheels :evillaugh:

Ah ok, so it is really like Bill Starrs 5x5? 5x5 should definitely add some mass to your legs. Im actually a bit scared of progressing to the Texas Method because it has you squatting 5x5 as well. 3x5 is painful enough :p.

My numbers are far from impressive yet, but its a lot better than when i started. My legs are relatively big, but i hold a lot of fat in my legs.

Im sure that in 2-3 months you will be in your 4th pair of new sized pants :evillaugh:

rocklee
10-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Friday 23rd October 2009

2nd session of SL5x5 still early on so its nice and light, but finding things hard squating 3 times a week.

* Increasing by 2.5kg

Workout B
Squat 5 x 52.5kg
Overhead Press 5 x 40kg
Deadlift 1x5x50kg
Chinups 15|10|10F
Plank/Bridge 3 x 30secs

Clifford Gillmore
10-23-2009, 02:45 AM
Your goals are VERY attainable by July, I'd try and get in with Nick and Eddie when they train - you'll probally hit those numbers by January!

rocklee
10-23-2009, 03:28 AM
Thanks for the words, yeah that would be good training with the big fellas but I'd hate being a hindrance lifting with my current weights :(

rocklee
10-27-2009, 05:25 AM
Tuesday 27th October 2009

Another 2.5kg up everything felt light specially the bench.. feel like im losing strength on this routine.
I'll persevere though :P

Workout A:
Squat: 5x55kg (Feeling better bout squatting.. x3 a week getting use to the groove)
Bench: 5x55kg
Rows: 5x35kg
Pushups: 3xF (62|32|39) Felt good on first set, didnt rest enough for second though :|
Rev Crunches: 3x12 (15|12F|10F) hurt like hell at the end

Off Road
10-27-2009, 07:06 AM
Good for you on starting the Squats :)