PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss plateau..

cdavis50
10-21-2009, 01:31 PM
The last few months i've been trying to cut some weight so I can get into the airforce. When I first started, it started out slow but I dropped about 30lbs fairly quick and noticed a big difference. But lately I can't seem to lose anything and I might have even gained back a few lbs. I know it's pretty much all to do with diet, I'm not sure if Im eating enough or eating to much. To give you an idea this is roughly what i've been eating....Morning-quaker oats,or sometimes a slimfast like drink and a boiled egg. I normally try to work out around 10 or 11. When I get back I drink protein with one scoop, half water, half milk. Lunch food varies, slimfast like drink, or maybe a tuna fish sandwich on top of the protein. Roughly around 6 I'll eat again, like last night I had beans with tuna fish sandwich..nice combo huh. Tonight i'll be eating home made soup. And sometimes at night I might grab a banana when I start feeling some hunger so I can sleep. But like I said I haven't lost any weight in a while, and I would like to drop about 30 more lbs.

Unreal
10-21-2009, 02:44 PM
Sounds like your starving yourself so your metabolism shut down.

I would suggest eating at maintence for 2 weeks then slowly drop calories back down. Start tracking everything you eat.

cdavis50
10-22-2009, 12:54 PM
I've had some people that told me I'm probably eating to much, which that is bs. I agree, I'm probably not eating enough. I normally go by hunger, which I have always had a slow metabolism so eating around 2000 calories feels like alot of food thats probably why I have cut my calories so low.

blackmetal
10-23-2009, 12:09 PM
What you eat in an entire day, I would have consumed by noon. I have a breakfast at around 6:45am, then a snack (your version of lunch) at 9:30am, and then at lunch I eat what you have at 6pm. Where's the rest of your calories? Are you omitting anything?

Surely this isn't your calorie intake day in and day out. Do you usually have a chocolate bar or bag of chips before bed? Do you eat a bowl of cereal with fruit and a handful of mixed nuts? You mentioned that you sometimes grab a banana before bed. If you last ate at 6pm, and you have just a banana at like 10pm, your body is definitely starving, which means that you'll lose weight, but it'll be muscle and not fat.

If you start feeling 'hunger pains', it means that your body is beginning to cannabalize your muscle mass. I know what you're going through because I tried the same thing over the summer (an experiment if you will). I did cardio and yoga, and ate less. I dropped my weight, and I still ate more than you do currently. I figure that you would probably weigh around 150 pounds. If you are around 190 or over, you are definitely cutting too much too soon. I'd be eating more clean food (like chicken and vegetables) throughout the day, and monitor your progress over a few weeks. I got one of those body fat digital scales, and I weighed myself every Monday morning to track progress in my cut.

I started off at 190 pounds at 23.3% body fat, and dropped to 176 pounds at 21% body fat. Half of the weight loss was fat, and the other half was muscle. I know the digital scale isn't entirely accurate as I can see my abs now, and I've heard that you can begin to see them at 15% body fat. That said, it is a baseline you can use to track your progress. I know that I will not allow myself ever again to lose muscle mass for two consecutive weeks during a cut.

You need to be aware of your goals, and be certain of what it is you want to achieve. If the airforce is telling you to drop weight, then maybe you're ok. If you personally want to drop weight, you probably would be better off dropping body fat than total weight.

cdavis50
10-23-2009, 09:45 PM
I'm just flat out not eating enough, I guess my problem is that I'm so worried about over eating, because obviously that's how I got this way. I just need a good Idea on how many calories I need like for each meal, I have pretty good basic knowlegde on what to eat and not to eat so that shouldn't be the problem, I just need to know how much. The last I have checked I was about 23% body fat at about 220-225. Which like I said a goal is to get into the air for which I must be 20% and below for that. But also It is for me too, I want to get back to where I use to be, so around 190 185 for me and I will be pretty much where I wanna be.

angrymonkey
10-23-2009, 10:35 PM
How many calories are you actually eating?

add it up.

And hunger pains /= eating your muscle. jebus.

cdavis50
10-23-2009, 10:58 PM
Well from what I listed up above let me add it up...the oatmeal in the moring is about 300cal., instead of that the drink I sometimes eat and the egg equal also to be about 300. After workout around lunch, protein drink I guess around 160, so drink or tunafish sandwich, so lets say maybe about 400 for lunch. Dinner varies but I'd say it's about the same as lunch so 400. And plus say banana at night. so 300+400+400+100=1200. So yea obviously I'm not getting enough. Like I said I've always had a slow metabolism so even with eating just that I actually dont feel hunger until at night when I eat the banana at night. so If I eat 1800cals. a day it would feel like im pigging out, but if im only getting many calories it doesn't matter what I feel like huh?