PDA

View Full Version : Bulking Problem: I just can't eat anymore :(

mawga
10-21-2009, 04:35 PM
Before you call m a bitch hear me out.

I was 120-123 when I started lifting now I am up to 165-170 but for the last month I just can't gain anymore weight.

As far as my diet goes... I eat 6 times a day and I am taking in a little over 4000 calories a day. I would like to be able to eat more but I literally am on the verge of throwing up from eating this much food.

I weiged myself again today to find out that I lost another pound and a half over the last week. I am not sick, definately not slacking in the gym. I even cut back from a 4 day a week to a 3 day a week to try and conserve more calories.

Do you think it has something to do with my 6 times a day eating as opposed to 3 huge meals? I honestly do not think I can consume anymore food per day

Off Road
10-21-2009, 04:45 PM
A very smart person once said to eat more veggies. You can't cram more food in if you aren't getting rid of it. The veggies will clean out your pipes.

SDS
10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
4k calories ain't that much unless you're low carb'ing it. If you're 'clean' bulking, yea 4k calories is a lot of food. Cheese fries, chocolate cake, pie......eat some ***** like that.

Oh yea, and quit being a bitch LOL

Nicky
10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
I TOTALLY understand what you mean. I can give you some things that worked for me and helped me eat just a bit more at each sitting. First off drink whole milk. lots of it during the day. I kept eating normally and added a gallon of whole milk a day and that really helped but when my gains slowed, I stopped counting the milk in my shakes as part of the daily gallon. My gains continued but again they started to slow. I added peanut butter and later icecream to my shakes as well. That helped too.
As far as eating more goes, I drink about 8 or 10 ozs of water about 15 mins before my meal to fight thirst while eating. Eat first THEN drink you're milk. Drinking while I ate made me feel fuller faster. When I get to the point that im uncomfortably full I just take super small bites. That sounds ridiculous but the big bite and mouth full made me want to gag. The tiny bites you can chew and swallow fast, sometimes without even tasting it.
Beef jerky! Even when you are full beef jerky is easy to eat. And as Off Road said, eat you're veggies.
Hope some of this helps. I will add more if i think of any.

Great weight gains there mawga!!

mawga
10-21-2009, 06:24 PM
And here i thought 4000 calories was alot for a 165 pounder :(

I guess I am gonna have to just suck it up and try harder. But the other day I literally threw up my turkey sandwich in my mouth because nothing else would fit

Unreal
10-21-2009, 07:00 PM
What are you eating? Up your fats. Turkey sandwich and your complaining about calories? Make that a bacon cheeseburger covered in mayo.

skinny99
10-21-2009, 07:10 PM
What are you eating? Up your fats. Turkey sandwich and your complaining about calories? Make that a bacon cheeseburger covered in mayo.

Took the thoughts out of my head!

machaf
10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Eat some fast food brah. 4000k calories is easy if you're not trying to eat clean. Go to a burger joint - burger, fries, milkshake = 2500 cals right there

Here are some ideas besides fast food.

Peanut butter
olive oil
whole milk
eggnog
Can of sweetened Condensed milk (1300 cals)
Chicken wings w skin
Nuetella
Cheese
Salad dressings
Bacon
Sausage
Salmon
Burger's
Prime new york steaks
trail mix
chicken pot pie
baked beans
potato salad
muffins

man I wish i had your problem. I could fix it real quick.

KingWilder
10-21-2009, 07:21 PM
something I recently discovered....

Coconut milk! Add some protein powder and you'll have a high calorie shake

cphafner
10-21-2009, 07:23 PM
Drink them. I blend up plenty of protein and oats shakes. Throw in some olive oil and drink it down. Also are you certain you eat 4000 a day? Do you weigh measure track everything? People tend to over estimate and under eat.

LuNa
10-21-2009, 08:33 PM
As stated by the others 4k isnt that much. You will probably go a lot higher before you will reach your weight goal.
For me, whole milk was the solution. I was eating 3500 cals of clean food and a 1000 cals in milk. It went quite fast after that.

McLaughlin
10-22-2009, 04:39 AM
McDouble - $1
390 Cals
19 fat
33 carb
22 proteins

3 x per day = $3 (cheap)
1170 cals
57 fat
99 carb
66 protein

This worked well for me. Add to that a quart of whole milk to wash them down and you're looking at:
1170 + 600 = 1770 Calories
57 + 33 = 90 fat
99 + 44 = 143 carb
66 + 32 = 98 protein

All for under $5

Unreal
10-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Your turkey sandwich better be something like this or you have no room to complain
Turkey
Bacon
Avocado
Cheese
Mayo

rbtrout
10-22-2009, 10:55 AM
You might add another meal instead of eating more at each existing meal. When I bulk, I usually eat 8 times a day.

bass slayer
10-22-2009, 01:56 PM
It is extremely hard for me to get enough calories in a day especially while trying to clean bulk. I have the hardest time eating when Im not even hungry. Im aiming for 5000 calories a day but probably only getting 3500 if Im lucky. It sucks. Im going to have to start shoveling the food down or do something. Im probably going to have to scratch out my "clean bulk"

thecoder0
10-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi Guys

Sorry to interupt but I am new to this game and confused as hell about this bulking thing, I am 48 13.5 stone half stone fat i reckon prob more.

I have just started training and want to get more strength and be a strong 14 stones of mostly muscle. Now what I don't get is the advice to increase weight eat frys , cheese burgers etc etc,I agree with the original Poster I too am struggling to get 3500 cals the clean way. Surely if I turn up the cals with the crap foods they will turn to fat.

Hope that makes sense sorry for if the q@s seem dumb.

Dave

Jayfive
10-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Hi Guys

Sorry to interupt but I am new to this game and confused as hell about this bulking thing, I am 48 13.5 stone half stone fat i reckon prob more.

I have just started training and want to get more strength and be a strong 14 stones of mostly muscle. Now what I don't get is the advice to increase weight eat frys , cheese burgers etc etc,I agree with the original Poster I too am struggling to get 3500 cals the clean way. Surely if I turn up the cals with the crap foods they will turn to fat.

Hope that makes sense sorry for if the q@s seem dumb.

Dave

If you aren't gaining then you're not eating right is the simplest way to put it. It'll depend on your maintenance cals. If you are eating as your are and gaining, then don't worry about getting the extra cals in from junk food, just stay the course. This advice is for someone who is literally unable to eat anymore clean food and is not gaining weight. They need the added calories so calorie dense foods (big macs, whoppers, etc) might be needed.

rbtrout
10-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Have either of you tried drinking lots of milk? That's an easy way to get extra cals without being too full.

thecoder0
10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
If you aren't gaining then you're not eating right is the simplest way to put it. It'll depend on your maintenance cals. If you are eating as your are and gaining, then don't worry about getting the extra cals in from junk food, just stay the course. This advice is for someone who is literally unable to eat anymore clean food and is not gaining weight. They need the added calories so calorie dense foods (big macs, whoppers, etc) might be needed.

Yes that makes sense. I am at a very early stage and to be fair only 7 days in and have seen a 5lb increase in weight from just a few sessions and eating as clean as I can, which to be fair I have stuck to.

I reckon I would have no problems whacking up the crap calories I have had yrs of practise :) thats why im back in the gym. I am going to introduce as much whole milk into my diet as I can take and see what effect that has on me.

thanks for your help guys by the way it is appreciated

nickp8
10-22-2009, 03:00 PM
If you don't mind putting on a little fat the Big Mac can cure your weight gaining woes

Polish Hammer
10-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Of course you should eat 3 huge meals a day and not 6 regular sized meals. The point here is to slow your metabolism. Eating 6 meals will only speed it up. Thats what Dave Tate did to gain weight. Also, if your consistently eating 4000 calories a day at 170lbs, you should be gaining weight. At 170, your maintenance level is only around 2700 Im guessing. Of course this depends on your diet and how many calories your burning. Heres your new rules

-Eat 3 huge meals a day
-1 gallon of Milk a day(start with a half and work your way up)
-Burn as little calories as possible

rbtrout
10-22-2009, 04:20 PM
This isn't a bad idea, either. With me, I can't eat enough in one sitting without feeling like crap, so I eat more meals. You need to find out what works for you and stick with it. Remember, as you gain weight, you also need to eat more, to keep the weight coming on.

Korpsie
10-23-2009, 05:43 AM
Can of sweetened Condensed milk (1300 cals)

Is this true?

jcwhackflava
10-23-2009, 06:49 AM
at the moment i just eat as much as i can....until i can't take 1 more bite

obviously i am to eat the more protein and carbohydrate packed foods like eggs, peanut butter, tuna....i also eat a **** load of bread and drink alot of whole milk...

basically at each sitting if im still hungry after my meal, then i eat more until i feel like i'll puke or get sick if i eat more

McLaughlin
10-23-2009, 07:08 AM
Another thing... don't just eat... eat FAST. It takes your body something like 20-30 minutes to realize it's full, so if you eat a bunch in a hurry, you'll have eaten more than you would have eating at a normal pace.

Skalami
10-23-2009, 07:47 AM
i used to eat the McDouble's here and there mostly at lunch while at work, but after trying that new $1 quarter pounder from Bk... im sold.

Sometimes i worry that getting the cheapest meat possible at a fast food restaurant isnt the best thing for me though... oh well they taste gooood.. all those spices really cover up the 2% of feces allowed in the meat:)

angrymonkey
10-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Are you keeping true diet logs?

Can you prove your cal amounts 24/7 for this entire bulk?

Make absolutely sure on your calories before you start changing things. Its very easy to 'think' you are eating certain amounts. The fact that you gave a generic round number is not a good indicator.

If you have it all scribbled out and tracked, then slowly add to it. 10% give a bit, then re-assess. If you are packed to the gills, do as others said and start swapping out a few parts with more calorie dense foods.

machaf
10-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Is this true?

Depending on the brand yes. Not that hard to look it up.

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/generic/condensed-milk-sweetened 900 + cals

http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/nestle-carnation/sweetened-condensed-milk 1000+ cals

Invain
10-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Drink them. I blend up plenty of protein and oats shakes. Throw in some olive oil and drink it down. Also are you certain you eat 4000 a day? Do you weigh measure track everything? People tend to over estimate and under eat.

Dunno if you saw this OP so I'll quote it again. I know so many people that claim to eat craploads of food, yet when I'm around them and see what they actually eat it's not even close to the cals they think it is.

If you really are eating 4k cals though, I don't know what to tell you, lol. I bulked on 4k+ cals when I weighed 230, 4k at 170 seems like a ****load. Like somebody else said, drink lots of whole milk, that'll pile the calories on in a hurry.

Also, are you eating breakfast? What's your macro breakdown look like?

Polish Hammer
10-23-2009, 07:04 PM
If you really are eating 4k cals though, I don't know what to tell you, lol. I bulked on 4k+ cals when I weighed 230, 4k at 170 seems like a ****load. Like somebody else said, drink lots of whole milk, that'll pile the calories on in a hurry.

Exactly.

J.C.
10-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Chris Mason has said this countless times, but you need to train your stomach to handle more food. Over time your body will adapt to the larger volumes handled.

Don't go overboard but eat "more than is comfortable" regularly and it should make a difference. My old coach used to tell us this after hard training sessions, "go eat more than is comfortable" and it all adds up. Also, I don't know about you but I personally find my apatite goes through the roof in the couple of hours post-workout. I can fit a large proportion of my daily calories into that window. Something you could try. A shake on leaving the gym, a large PWO solid meal when you get home/work, a large glass of milk, then 20-30 minutes later snacks and more milk. This technique of loading as many calories as possible after training is an old strong-man trick and works quite well for anabolic purposes.

Off Road
10-23-2009, 08:17 PM
A heavy deadlift session makes me hungry for hours...I just can't get enoough food in me after heavy deads.

bass slayer
10-24-2009, 11:19 AM
This is a great weight gaining snack I created yesterday..

Wheat thins (preferebly whole grain)
+
Jar of skippy natural peanut butter (you will need a spoon)

Wash it down with a Liter of Milk. 2% - Vitamen D.

platypus
10-24-2009, 12:14 PM
whole milk is a godsend for bulking. it really is hard for me to get full on milk.

jcwhackflava
10-24-2009, 01:27 PM
seems like milk is one of the best things for bulking....and i love milk

i usually drink about 1 litre of milk everyday but i would drink a gallon if it was affordable.

also i believe the only way i'll gain weight fast and effectively is to eat alot more than what my body actually needs (obviously...)

usually if ive had a meal and it didnt full me up then i just eat more like 4 slices of bread with peanut butter and milk till i get that "really full" feeling:)