PDA

View Full Version : Recommended protein intake for a chubby guy

jay.
10-21-2009, 11:46 PM
I've gotten advice from various sources that base my suggested protein intake on my body weight... The problem is I'm kind of chubby as is. Should I base protein intake on current weight, or goal weight? Does this question make sense?

I'm getting my goal of about 140g per day. Not sure if this is enough or too much. I noticed a real difference when I started supplementing earlier this year, but fear I'm falling short still.

I'm 5'10", weigh in at 260. I've lost only about 10lbs. in the last 15 months, but many of my shirts and pants no longer fit! Lots of weight has moved from my belly to my shoulders. I'm pretty stoked about that.

LuNa
10-22-2009, 12:26 AM
A rule of thumb is that you should minimally take in 1g of protein per pound of LBM. So what you need to do is determine what your bodyfat% is, calculate how much weight in fat you have and deduct that from your total weight to get to LBM. Now, this may be a little difficult if you cant accurately assess your BF%. Another rule of thumb therefore is to eat 1g/pound of bodymass, in your case 260g.

Seeing as these are rule of thumb, anything around 200, should be ok for your weight and the fact that you call yourself chubby. Less could be ok, more might be fine aswell. It will be something to try out in the long term. I would advise you however to increase your protein intake slightly.