PDA

View Full Version : Knees hurting after air travel

Illinimeats
10-22-2009, 06:57 AM
I am finally back home after being on the road for a week, but last Thursday I trained my lower body; squats, abs, deadlifts. Friday I taught class, then left for the airport. I flew from Lexington, KY, to Cincy, then from Cincy to Omaha. After I got off the plane in Omaha my knees hurt and ached. This is the second time this has happened, a couple years ago I flew after a leg workout and my knees killed me for the next couple days. Has anyone else experienced this and if so is there any ideas on what happens? My guess would be an air pressure difference.

Illinimeats

fulldaddy
10-22-2009, 10:18 AM
Does it happen to you when you have to sit for long periods of time (work, driving, etc) as well or is it only from flying?

Illinimeats
10-22-2009, 10:22 AM
Seems to only happen after air travel; I'm a professor, so I spend a lot of time sitting at my desk and have never experience any discomfort.

Illinimeats

fulldaddy
10-22-2009, 10:30 AM
That is pretty unique. Sitting with my legs bent really gets uncomfortable because of my knees & what feels like my quadriceps tendon - particulary in my right leg. I haven't flow in a while but I've had several long car trips that have been very uncomfortable.

It will be interesting to see if anyone else is experiencing what you are.

Detard
10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
Probably an air pressure change. We were just learning about that recently. Even though the plane is pressurized, the weight of the air on your legs when you get on the ground where it's more dense, is probably causing the discomfort.

JamesGreene
10-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Sir,
Look into (DVT) Deep Vein Thrombosis or (PE) Pulmonary Embolism. If you are flying a lot this is caused by immobility. My wife had an double saddle em-bolus in her lungs after knee surgery and it almost killed her. If at all possible on a long flight get up and move around. In the airport walk around. Ambulation and being mobile will help deter the symptoms and effects.

Good Luck,

James