PDA

View Full Version : How much protein can my body utilize in one sitting?

machaf
10-22-2009, 11:47 AM
How much protein can my body utilize in one sitting?

Anyone have any studies with whey or casein?

I've found lots of conflicting information.

This study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19056590) says 20grams (egg protein)

According to Lyle McDonald (http://stronglifts.com/forum/how-much-protein-can-you-absorb-per-meal-t15185.html) "I consider all of this "The body can only use X grams per Y" as a lot of nonsense"

Unreal
10-22-2009, 12:01 PM
All of it. Your body does not waste anything. Now if your asking how much it will use for muscle repair/etc there are way too many factors. Genetics, training, rest, etc. Any protein not used for essential body functions will be burned off for energy or converted to fat and stored.

given'er
10-22-2009, 01:33 PM
How many more times can this question come up?

machaf
10-22-2009, 05:08 PM
Can you answer the question I asked? Studies for Whey and Casein?

I don't own Lyle's "The Protein Book". I believe he backs up his claim with sources.

Skalami
10-23-2009, 07:40 AM
they say 30grams is the max i'd imagine thats true unless youre a 200lb + guy, gorging on protein at a sitting wont help your muscle building goals.

Unreal
10-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Who says 30g? Like I said your body will use it all. How it uses it can't be said because there are just way to many factors.

angrymonkey
10-23-2009, 05:18 PM
they say 30grams is the max i'd imagine thats true unless youre a 200lb + guy, gorging on protein at a sitting wont help your muscle building goals.

lol. Awesome.

Invain
10-23-2009, 06:56 PM
All of it. Your body does not waste anything. Now if your asking how much it will use for muscle repair/etc there are way too many factors. Genetics, training, rest, etc. Any protein not used for essential body functions will be burned off for energy or converted to fat and stored.

This. Your body can and will break down protein for glucose if you eat too much.

Skalami
10-25-2009, 09:52 AM
thats what i meant, it will only use up to a certain amount for building muscle (which isnt that only reason we eat so much of the stuff?) and the rest gets used as an inefficient fuel source.