PDA

View Full Version : How much to expect from knee wraps on Squats?

ThomasG
10-22-2009, 07:53 PM
Just got some altius red line knee wraps. For the first time ever on Tuesday I will be Squating heavy with Wraps. I hit 370x2 and 385x1 last session. What should I attempt for a double and single with wraps?

Thanks!

chris mason
10-22-2009, 08:51 PM
It really depends on your relative strengths. You will also have to learn how to use them as they will alter your form if you are not careful.

ThomasG
10-22-2009, 08:57 PM
Hmmm so far the plan is to rep light get used to the wraps then try for a single of 395x1. I know I can hit 390 without wraps so I'll shoot or a 5lb boost. Depending how that feels I'll go up If i can.

SELK
10-22-2009, 09:41 PM
50-75lbs out of good wraps, it depends alot of squatting style as well. If you break at the knees they seem to carryover more.

isaku900
10-22-2009, 10:03 PM
to be honest i think i could get more out of my APT knee sleeves than I ever got out of those altus wraps..

deeder
10-22-2009, 10:13 PM
I think I get about 70lbs out of wraps now. It takes a lot of learning and work to get that much IMO. I know some guys that get even more than that. You need to have perfect technique and good speed to get lots out of wraps.

Clifford Gillmore
10-23-2009, 01:46 AM
The first time I wore the Metal Black 2.5M wraps I got shot forward by breaking at the hips first. Technology is ****ing crazy. I havn't used them since!

jmccown
10-23-2009, 06:27 AM
Wow, I just have a cheap set of valeo wraps and only feel like I get 5 pounds out of them. Maybe I should get a good set and see what I can get out of them.

Tom Mutaffis
10-23-2009, 06:39 AM
I would say that an average number is around 50 lbs; but that number can vary quite a bit depending on the person, technique, and quality of equipment.

Sensei
10-23-2009, 06:56 AM
Get used to the wraps before you max out with them.

mosley1990
10-23-2009, 07:21 AM
I had no idea you could get that much out of knee wraps. Holy crap. I was expecting maybe 10lbs? Im going to have to try some out.

endymion88
10-23-2009, 10:11 AM
lol most i've bothered adding to my raw is 10lbls with wraps....wow i suck..

JSully
10-23-2009, 12:13 PM
I have inzer knee wraps and don't use them anymore as I compete USAPL raw at this time and wraps aren't allowed. When I was using the inzer knee wraps I think they gave me 30-40lbs or so.. I use the knee sleeves from jackals gym now, and although I don't get anything out of them I'm quite a bit stronger than when I was using the wraps.

Tim K
10-23-2009, 01:08 PM
I get about the same out of my Inzer knee wraps that are about a year old.

chrisa1
10-23-2009, 01:50 PM
Ive got a training partner who figures he's up around the 100lbs carryover mark from his kneewraps alone... then again he gets a pair of 2m Inzer Iron Wraps Z Around his leg 11-13 times, and overlaps to the point where only one of the thin black lines from the previous wraps is visible... i guess it depends on your own pain tolerance and squat style

thewicked
10-23-2009, 02:43 PM
APT makes the strangulator, convict, and 2x/3x wraps that people are getting great carryover out of! Definately worth a look. I'd say my convicts give me about 70 or better carryover if I wrap them right.

Brian C
10-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I use APT Convicts and get about 50-70 depending, but rarely use them in training

Lones Green
10-23-2009, 03:40 PM
It depends a ton on the technique

I don't get much out of mine

endymion88
10-23-2009, 04:09 PM
someone needs to write an article on how to use knee wraps for the best carryover!

ThomasG
10-23-2009, 05:33 PM
Holy **** I had no Idea you could get as much as 100lbs carryover thats crazy! I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm sure it won't be much as I will be learning technique my first time.

SELK
10-23-2009, 06:10 PM
someone needs to write an article on how to use knee wraps for the best carryover!

I used to get 10-20lbs out of wraps if I was lucky. Now I am right around 75lbs with APT convicts, maybe even more its hard to tell. (which imo are the best wraps out there, and ive used quite a few including the apt 3x which didn't work for me).

There isn't really much too it:

- wear them tight as humanly possible, it will hurt and your skin will tear, my knees are usually in rough shape for a few days after wearing them.

- wear them in training. You can't expect just to throw something on and get maximum carryover the first time. I wrapped my knees for all heavy sets for months and eventually began to get more out of them as well as ability to withstand a tighter wrap.

endymion88
10-23-2009, 10:37 PM
thank you selk yeah i got a brand new set of convicts sitting in my gym bag i just never use them i guess i probly should but dont...got any tips on how to use them? i'm also a fairly light lifter and squat fairly wide raw so i heard that those things added in don't help the wraps too much lol.

Cricket_Fire
10-23-2009, 10:48 PM
It depends a ton on the technique

x1000000

I think a narrow stance, dicve-bomb is the best for wraps; let's you get a tonne of rebound out of them.

Judas
10-24-2009, 04:22 AM
Holy **** I had no Idea you could get as much as 100lbs carryover thats crazy! I'll let you all know how it goes. I'm sure it won't be much as I will be learning technique my first time.

My girlfriend who is a whopping 114lbs and an IPF lifter got upwards ov 60lbs out ov her Titan THP's, and those are only 2M wraps. FAR more than she gets out ov her suit (and yes, we're working on that...). Ov course, that wrap can go around her leg a lot more times than some SHW's leg...

I've often wondered if the multi-ply guys get much more out ov their longer wraps. Sure the wraps is longer, but the depth is shallower, and the more you twist those things the harder they shoot you back up. There are lots ov IPF guys getting 100lbs out ov their (shorter) wraps. I've seen blood around the knees at world-level events though, same as some ov those bench shirts. Crazy stuff!

I tried 'em on once, just a loose wrap... maybe five times around. Didn't do **** for me. There is definitely a learning curve involved.

Buccos1
10-24-2009, 08:15 AM
I get about 15 - 20 pounds from wraps. I've tried wrapping tighter but it was throwing off my descent.

endymion88
10-24-2009, 02:01 PM
i stand by my post earlier someone should write a tutorial on how to best use knee wraps it should include wide stance, ultra wide, and narrow. and tons of tips so i can actually get some weight outta mine.. imma do what selk said and just use them more though a big thing i can imagine is ones pain tolerance.

Sean S
10-24-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't think getting the most out of knee wraps is that complicated. It's just a matter of wrapping them tighter and getting more revolutions around the knee. This would be the case no matter what the squat style or stance.

endymion88
10-24-2009, 03:56 PM
yet alot of people don't know how to best use knee wraps. honestly i think alot of people could profit from an article on them. also when to start using them during the training cycle would be a good point to cover.

Sean S
10-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I know there was an article on elitefts a couple years ago about knee wrapping and included the way many of the elite lifters at the time wrapped. You might be able to find it if you do a search in their article section.

ThomasG
10-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I got about 25lbs out of my wraps tonight... hit a pr of 415x1!!

SELK
10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
My girlfriend who is a whopping 114lbs and an IPF lifter got upwards ov 60lbs out ov her Titan THP's, and those are only 2M wraps. FAR more than she gets out ov her suit (and yes, we're working on that...). Ov course, that wrap can go around her leg a lot more times than some SHW's leg...

I've often wondered if the multi-ply guys get much more out ov their longer wraps. Sure the wraps is longer, but the depth is shallower, and the more you twist those things the harder they shoot you back up. There are lots ov IPF guys getting 100lbs out ov their (shorter) wraps. I've seen blood around the knees at world-level events though, same as some ov those bench shirts. Crazy stuff!

I tried 'em on once, just a loose wrap... maybe five times around. Didn't do **** for me. There is definitely a learning curve involved.

Ive used 2M and 3M wraps.. pretty much get the same out of both of them. If you have a 300lbs dude with some strength/technique in wrapping you will be in tears with a 2M wrap, don't think I could handle a 3m wrap as tight as i like my usual wraps (2.5m).

str8flexed
10-28-2009, 10:36 AM
I probably get about 20-30 lbs out of my ZRV-pros but I am more of a posterior chain squatter and less of a quad squatter so I really sink my hips into the squat rather than dive bombing