PDA

View Full Version : EliteFTS Fat Grips

Andre518
10-23-2009, 11:26 PM
I was on the site the other day to order a hoodie and shirt and came across these new Fat Grips (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=114&pid=3181) thinking of giving them a try. Anyone used them or know if they are worth the money. For time being I have no access to a fat bar to bench and would like to put some size on my forearms.

Brian999
10-23-2009, 11:52 PM
This was posted not too long ago: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129857 Nobody gave there opinion on them though, wanted Tom's opinion but he didn't see the thread I guess.

SEOINAGE
10-24-2009, 12:23 AM
They start working from your very first workout with them… and you can literally feel them working (the “pump” in your arms is going to be insane!)

All the claims they are making just causes the product to lose reputation in my opinion. Trying too hard to sell the product.

C-Sobrino
10-24-2009, 06:32 AM
I have them. I use them. Even my fingers get sore. Enough Said.

Travis Bell
10-24-2009, 06:38 AM
I saw these the other day. I'm probably going to pick some up and give them a shot

Tom Mutaffis
10-24-2009, 07:38 AM
This was posted not too long ago: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129857 Nobody gave there opinion on them though, wanted Tom's opinion but he didn't see the thread I guess.

Sorry, I did not see that post.

Personally I have not tried those yet but I was thinking about picking up a pair as well since they are on sale. A friend of mine owns them and he says that they are good; and I have done a good amount of fat bar training in the past.

Fat bar work will improve your grip strength and in many cases also forces you to use better form on movements (if you try to jerk the weight you will lose your grip if it is a heavier set).

All of the stuff about arm size and everything is mostly just hype, but I think that they are still a good tool and a way to add some variation to your program. If you did dumbell/flat bench with the fat grips for a few weeks then went back to the barbell it makes the bar feel a bit lighter.

If I do buy a pair I will post a review...

Pete22
10-24-2009, 09:32 AM
I was thinking about picking these up as well, I love doing fat bar presses. For some reason I feel it's easier on my elbows and wrists.

Lones Green
10-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I was thinking about picking these up as well, I love doing fat bar presses. For some reason I feel it's easier on my elbows and wrists.

It isn't just you, they are!

ScottYard
10-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Dave doesnt sell junk. I havent used them but they seem like a good idea to me. Especially if you dont have 400 bones for a fat bar.

shawno
10-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Bought practically an identical product on eBay a couple of years ago. Getting lots of use out them, very convenient. Was considerably cheaper than $35 though.

douglasoh5
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I use them all the time

endymion88
10-24-2009, 01:58 PM
how can't they be good they turn anything into a fat bar :D

little steep on the price for a piece of rubber though...

NickAus
10-24-2009, 08:51 PM
They are really good.
I have been using them for lots of back work plus close grip floor presses.
I wish I had some earlier.

SEOINAGE
10-24-2009, 10:37 PM
They are really good.
I have been using them for lots of back work plus close grip floor presses.
I wish I had some earlier.

I agree with others on the price and the over hype. I am curious though with a wide grip do they want to slide? Also do they squish a lot in your hands?

NickAus
10-25-2009, 02:02 AM
I agree with others on the price and the over hype. I am curious though with a wide grip do they want to slide? Also do they squish a lot in your hands?

No they don't squish, I did some close floor presses with up to 275 and squeezed them hard and they are fine as the rubber is solid (prob crush your fingers into them 1mm).

I say get some it's way cheaper than buying a fat bar plus you can turn anything into a fat bar for good just keep them in your gym bag.

Tom Mutaffis
10-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I just went to order these, they are out of stock at Elite until 11/13.

Also you will pay more for them from Elite than ordering directly from the manufacturer. Elite charges shipping and FatGripz does not; so it ends up being a couple of dollars less expensive to get them direct.

http://www.fatgripz.com/

Andre518
10-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I just went to order these, they are out of stock at Elite until 11/13.

Also you will pay more for them from Elite than ordering directly from the manufacturer. Elite charges shipping and FatGripz does not; so it ends up being a couple of dollars less expensive to get them direct.

http://www.fatgripz.com/

Cool thanks a lot for the heads up Tom. I really like Elite but with there shipping cost and my budget lately every dollar saved really helps.

44pirate
10-26-2009, 06:13 AM
Just ordered mine.

Thanks Brother.
George

Tom Mutaffis
10-26-2009, 07:27 AM
Cool thanks a lot for the heads up Tom. I really like Elite but with there shipping cost and my budget lately every dollar saved really helps.

I just ordered mine, $39 including shipping.

FatGripz ships from Canada so I expect to take at least a week - will keep everyone updated though. (Since you live in Northern NY it should take less time to get to you).

Murph1001
10-26-2009, 01:32 PM
They start working from your very first workout with them… and you can literally feel them working (the “pump” in your arms is going to be insane!)

All the claims they are making just causes the product to lose reputation in my opinion. Trying too hard to sell the product.

Wendler writes most of the product information on the site. I'm pretty sure he's making a joke using hyperbole. He does it on a lot of other products on the site.

=Travis=
10-26-2009, 01:41 PM
Wendler writes most of the product information on the site. I'm pretty sure he's making a joke using hyperbole. He does it on a lot of other products on the site.

I'd be inclined to agree. Alot of the copy on that site is toungue in cheek.

Tom Mutaffis
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM

Wendler did not write that product description, unless he works for FatGripz. He does have a testimonial posted on their website though, "Thanks for a great product" - Jim Wendler.

Directly from the FatGripz website:

"FAT GRIPZ - The Ultimate Arm Builder!

FAT GRIPZ can save you YEARS of wasted effort and frustration in the gym
FAT GRIPZ will help you build BIGGER, STRONGER ARMS…… FASTER & EASIER!
They start working from your very FIRST workout with them… and you can literally feel them working (the “pump” in your arms is going to be insane!)
FAT GRIPZ are made from a high performance proprietary compound which makes them ROCK SOLID on the bar! They are designed to have no “give” or slippage whatsoever and to maintain the thick bar shape at all times so you can even bench really heavy with them
FAT GRIPZ give you all the benefits of a gym which has a full set of thick-grip weights
They are of exceptionally high quality and design and will be a faithful tool to help you build BIG ARMS and MUSCLE and POWER throughout your upper body
You don’t even need to do any extra sets, reps or exercises – simply use them in the rest of your workout
They are small, light and fully portable so you can take them with you to train anywhere
FAT GRIPZ are extremely versatile and can help you to strengthen almost ALL exercises
FAT GRIPZ are a unique training device that simply wraps around standard barbells, dumbbells and cable attachments instantly converting them into thick bars
They are totally unique – you won’t find anything else like them (I know… I’ve tried everything!)

Ron C
10-26-2009, 03:17 PM
ordered some on Fri. They shipped today UPS ground. Should take about a week to 10 days to get down to Houston. I'm excited to give them a go.

NickAus
10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
ordered some on Fri. They shipped today UPS ground. Should take about a week to 10 days to get down to Houston. I'm excited to give them a go.

I think you'll be happy, they are really good.

C-Sobrino
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
If you have never had experience with fat bars or worked your forearms, use the Fat Gripz on Reverse Curls, Hammer Curls and Barbell Curls. You will get an insane pump and your hands and forearms will be sore. Like everything, you will eventually get use to it in like a week.

DieselWarrior
10-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Well daum, I gotta get me a set too! Looks like a GREAT concept, and true enough, a fat bar is $$$$$.

I did a quick search on ebay, found nothing like it.

WhateverItTakes
10-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Its just a piece of rubber. I am trying to think of what kind of application that rubber is used for so that way I can just buy that (probably cheaper). I recall hearing someone say that you can use the foam that slips over pipes, I guess to insulate the pipes. It is usually a dark grey in color. Granted it will "sink in" a little when you squeeze, it may still work. Does anyone have any ideas on where you could get cheap rubber to do the same thing these fat gripz do?

MarcusWild
10-26-2009, 11:35 PM
I thought part of the benefits/difficulty in using a fat bar is the collars don't rotate. That gives it a very different feel which these won't mimmic.

Tom Mutaffis
10-27-2009, 06:57 AM
I thought part of the benefits/difficulty in using a fat bar is the collars don't rotate. That gives it a very different feel which these won't mimmic.

Their best application is to make a fat dumbell, rather than a fat bar.

For exercises like bench press the bar pretty much has to rotate and so these would to a good job of giving you a fat bar effect for that. On something like power cleans it would be a totally different story... but the axles used in most high level strongman contests (the IronMind ones) are typically milled pretty well and so the weights will rotate (just not the bar) as long as they are not clamped down very tightly.

Ron C
10-27-2009, 08:42 AM
They shipped out of Illinois. they'll be here (Houston) on Thurs. Can't beat that. $40 for a good training aid.

Lones Green
10-27-2009, 12:19 PM
In the past, I've used several pieces of a water hose to make a the handle on a DB fatter. If you have an old water hose laying around, try it. I used 3 or 4 pieces on each DB. You just cut them to length, then split them down the middle, just like the fat gripz are.

Its not as effective, and is kind of pain to setup though.

Bob
10-27-2009, 09:35 PM
These FatGripz are interesting... Elite used to support TylerGrips: http://www.tylergrip.com/benefits_testimonials.shtml..
wonder which one took the idea from the other one...
I've used the TylerGrips for a couple of years.. and they have worked great..
Always liked how you could change the thickness by flipping them..

thewicked
10-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Actually that is probably the best product made to date both cost adn effectiveness wise in regards to grip strength.

Your forearms have never been worked harder than after you've picked up a 100+lb dumbbell for reps just deadlifting it letalone working with it.

To work with those on ANY implement is perfect and after seeing that.. I'm going to order myself a pair.

Being an occassional strongman and a competitive grip contest participant.. those are imho the best tool I've seen in all my time spent working on my grip.

Tom Mutaffis
10-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Ordered mine directly from www.FatGripz.com - they shipped out the next day (free shipping) and arrived two days later.

The grips are solid, were easy to secure on a dumbbell and I am looking forward to training with them. They feel like they are slightly bigger than a typical "fat bar" and I believe the outer diameter is 2 1/4"

Attached a photo, I wish that I had bigger hands!

Lones Green
10-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Ordered mine directly from www.FatGripz.com - they shipped out the next day (free shipping) and arrived two days later.

The grips are solid, were easy to secure on a dumbbell and I am looking forward to training with them. They feel like they are slightly bigger than a typical "fat bar" and I believe the outer diameter is 2 1/4"

Attached a photo, I wish that I had bigger hands!

I may just have to go ahead and get a pair of these.

Ron C
10-30-2009, 12:58 PM
did some foam bench with them last night. I liked them, a lot. did some foam bench with dbl monster minis. The fatgripz made it quite a bit harder. The weight felt much heavier in my hands. Triceps took a beating. I suck at embedding vids, but here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VcfHpUKxns

Lones Green
10-30-2009, 01:39 PM
did some foam bench with them last night. I liked them, a lot. did some foam bench with dbl monster minis. The fatgripz made it quite a bit harder. The weight felt much heavier in my hands. Triceps took a beating. I suck at embedding vids, but here's a link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VcfHpUKxns

6VcfHpUKxns

First time is free, next time you owe me 5 bucks :clown:

Ron C
10-30-2009, 03:22 PM
6VcfHpUKxns

First time is free, next time you owe me 5 bucks :clown:

thank you, sir.

DieselWarrior
11-07-2009, 03:07 PM
Got mine the other day. Did a dumbbell bicep curl and a tricep extension with tricep bar using them. The curls kicked my ass, my forearms are a lot weaker than I thought, I felt them burn and pump by the 3rd set (I do 6 sets). I was glad to be done with that exercise! I plan to use them quite a bit, Im very glad I got them. I hope to have a vid posted for it soon.

Andrew