PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Form?

d0rkyd00d
10-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Hey All,

I'm really trying to get a feel for the deadlift form. I am currently doing SS, and focusing obsessively on keeping my lower back straight; however, I see many videos go up from people throwing up a lot of weight with a curve in their lower back (like the video below). Am I missing something?

AEkGHyiSkM0

Sean S
10-24-2009, 05:41 PM
You're not missing anything. Alot of people have crappy DL form. With an all-out max DL it's tough to keep your back perfectly arched, but you shouldn't be humped over like a dog taking a dump.

Meat_Head
10-24-2009, 06:51 PM
That guy doesn't have anything even resembling an arch. I would tell him to drop 100lbs and increase slowly, working on keeping a tight arch at all times.

getting there
10-26-2009, 06:12 AM
Drop the weight down and work on your form, i.e. getting and keeping a good arch. Your hips and butt shoot up right from the start. You have prob. read/heard this before, but think about driving your feet/legs into the floor and keep a good arch.

the one
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM
start incorporating face pulls

ZenMonkey
10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
start incorporating face pulls

No. Adding movements to fix a form problem is never the answer. Addressing the form problem is the sure shot way to fix things.

Drop the weight and focus on the arch. Also, do these:

http://www.grouptrails.com/images/0-Lower-Back-stretch-300-b.jpg

You can also assume the same position and grab you ankles and pull them forward trying to pull them past your head. Go slowly on these though, as stretching this way too fast puts your back (discs) in a potentially compromising position. This is how I gained tremendous arch flexibility.

the one
10-27-2009, 06:55 AM
when is problem is lack of scapular retraction...then yes adding a movement can certainly be part of the solution

ehubbard
10-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Hey All,

I'm really trying to get a feel for the deadlift form. I am currently doing SS, and focusing obsessively on keeping my lower back straight; however, I see many videos go up from people throwing up a lot of weight with a curve in their lower back (like the video below). Am I missing something?

AEkGHyiSkM0

Dont worry about someone elses form. Focus on your own. Videotape yourself and post for feedback.

ScottYard
10-27-2009, 07:15 AM
I agree with Ehubbard. Good technique is only guidelines any way. I for the life of me cant pull with my but down. Have tried for years but I have just accepted my own technique and went from there. Even if you look at the big raw puller from europe, konstinov? he pulls with a rounded back. But I recommend you get your feet out wider. Either go sumo or conventional. nothing in between.

Adrian101
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
how the heck do you know your back is straight without someone having to tell you?

Sean S
11-02-2009, 05:19 PM
how the heck do you know your back is straight without someone having to tell you?

You should get a spatial sense after a while. It helps to have someone watch you at first to give you feedback, but then you remember how it felt when you did it correctly and can tell yourself.
For example, I don't need anyone watching to tell me if I'm rounding over significantly in the DL. Unless it's a very tiny amount, I can tell if my back gets out of position.