PDA

View Full Version : Critique my diet please (cutting)

intension
10-26-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi all, I've been reading this forum on and off for years but haven't posted until now. Any feedback on my current diet would be greatly appreciated. Apologies for the long post but I commonly see people asking for more information in these threads to give better feedback, so I have tried to give that all in one go.

Stats

Sex: Male
Height: 181 cm (about 5ft11)
Current weight: 92kg (202lbs)
Bf%: 24% (note, this was taken with a set of bathroom scales...I know it cant be taken too seriously)
Muscle: 37.6% (again from the same scales)

Keeping in mind I am currently either lifting weights or doing cardio 6 days a week I calculated my BMR to be approximately 3200 calories. I have used Fitday to do a calculation on my daily caloric intake and its looking at about 2300-2600. My concern is that its too far below my BMR and I will start losing muscle.

Anyway, here is a typical day, any feedback would be appreciated. My goal is just to cut until I reach a bf% somewhere in the low teens but I dont want to strip away too much muscle while doing it. I am trying to lose as much as possible before xmas but will obviously have to work much longer at this to get anywhere near my goal. I have been doing this for 2 weeks so far.

Meals

Meal 1 - 8:30am
4 boiled eggs (only 2 or 3 yolks) or 3 kangaroo sausages

Meal 2 - 11:30am

200g cottage cheese or yoghurt

Meal 3 - 3:00pm

1 chicken breast, 125g brown basmati instant rice or footlong roast chicken sub on wheat or turkey steaks

Meal 4 - 6pm

Optimum Nutrition protein shake in no fat milk

*I often have about a 45 minute nap in here*

8pm - 9pm is weights or cardio

Meal 5: 9:05pm

ON protein shake, i heaped tablespoon dextrose, creatine

Meal 8: 10:10pm

Grilled fish/seafood mix/lean steak/turkey breast steaks with steamed broccoli, snow peas and zucchini (obviously only one of the above meat sources)

Meal 7: Midnight

Optimum Nutrition Casein shake in water

The daily breakdown looks something like this:

Total calories - 2400
Protein - 250g
Carbs - 174g
Fat - 80g

In addition I am taking 4 thermogenic capsules, 4 fish oil capsules, 4 spirulina tablets and a multivitamin. I am having one cheat meal a week.

I feel confident that this diet is at least reasonable, but seeing as though I am putting this effort in if there are simple things I could change to get better results I would love to hear more about it. I guess my main concern is that it might be too low in calories (assuming my BMB is close to accurate). One other thing is that I am never really feeling hunger while on this diet, and Im not sure if I should be expecting that given the supposed deficit size.

Sincere thanks for any feedback :clap:

ryuage
10-26-2009, 06:10 PM
diet looks good to me, try eating at your current given calorie amount and assess your diet after a week or two depending if you

a. lost fat
b. lost the amount of fat that you wanted

intension
10-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for checking over it ryuage. Unfortunately in the two weeks to date I have not really made any progress (according to the scales at least). I cant fathom how that would be possible so at the moment I am not trusting the scales but will check again in two weeks time and if the scales still report no progress I think I will get a Dexa scan.

radioheadhead
10-26-2009, 06:57 PM
I would cut the carbs a little more, maybe think about cycling them? have a lo, med, and high carb day cycle? has been working pretty well for me.

intension
10-26-2009, 08:07 PM
I would cut the carbs a little more, maybe think about cycling them? have a lo, med, and high carb day cycle? has been working pretty well for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.

My concern with that is that I am going to the gym 6 or 7 days a week, and most of my carbs are coming through my afternoon meal and my pre/post workout shake, and I thought this would make sense with regards to nutrient timing..especially with my daily calories well in deficit.

I'll do some reading about carb cycling and see where that leads me.

radioheadhead
10-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Thanks for the suggestion.

My concern with that is that I am going to the gym 6 or 7 days a week, and most of my carbs are coming through my afternoon meal and my pre/post workout shake, and I thought this would make sense with regards to nutrient timing..especially with my daily calories well in deficit.

I'll do some reading about carb cycling and see where that leads me.

yeah, it really comes down to how your body handles carbs. Mine tends to respond very well to low carb plans when cutting.