PDA

View Full Version : West Side Question

Andre518
10-27-2009, 09:29 AM
Let me start by saying that I do not have the total grasp of the West Side Method yet I just started reading the book this weekend and plan on reading it twice before really putting a routine together. Today I wanted to try a WS type workout. So I did my bench routine today like this.
Warm up
135 x 20
165 x 10
200 x 8

and then work load was 60% of 1RM 200lbs I did 200 x 10 x 3 I did them with about 30 sec rest in between and went as quick and explosive as I could. I noticed that I was feeling slight pain in my right elbow but I could not figure out if it was due to pressing to fast or my hand position on the bar. I started out benching with middle fingers on the rings. I move in to pinkies on the edge of the ring it was harder to press as fast but elbow still hurt. I made it through benching and did assist work all sets were 5 x 10 with about 30 secs in between as well and very quick and explosive. When I did tri-press downs my elbow felt a little pain but it also felt as if it was starting to cramp. Other assist work I did was lat pull downs, row/rear deltoids machine and shoulder press elbow did not bother me as much or at all on these lifts. Can anyone give me some pointer on what I could try to do next time to avoid this? Also I have my 1 meet in 2 weeks any advice on what I can do to make sure this pain does not get worst. I plan on benching Fri and next tues. My meet is the following sun the 8th. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any help you guys may have.

bencher8
10-27-2009, 09:41 AM
It sounds like you were doing it about right. I would change your warmup a little. 135 to 2x10, 165x1x8, 185x1x3, then your work sest of 200x9x3.

The assistance work doesnt have to be done explosively, and you dont have to follow the 30 sec time with assistance either. I usually take about a min or so between sets on my DE bench.

Ice the elbow and maybe some ibuprofen for inflammation. You could also try wearing some elbow sleeves while benching. Sometimes, tri pushdwns will aggravate an elbow as well.

Good luck at the meet..

vdizenzo
10-27-2009, 10:03 AM
When I first started using Westside as a raw lifter my best competition raw bench was 575 and I had hit 585 in the gym. That being said, I started my dymanic effort bench with 185 lbs for 8 sets of 3. I find most guys who start speed bench, start too heavy. The important thing is to be fast. I can't access youtube here, but if you seach this site, you will find videos from me and Travis showing a fair representation of what DE bench should look like. Take some video and we'll see if we can help you out.

Your program is lacking tricep work which is pretty much the most important part of a bench routine.

Lastly, if you have a meet in two weeks you should just be resting. You aren't getting any stronger in this time. All you can do is screw yourself up. Do some light assistance work on training days. For bench you can take an easy opener for training this weekend. When I say easy, I mean easy. There should be no question that you can blow that weight off your chest.

Are you competing in a full meet?

Andre518
10-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Thanks for all the advice guy! I really appreciate it. Vin yeah I will be doing a full meet this is my 1st meet ever. I'm registering with the 100% RAW federation and competing in VT at the
November 8, 2009
Old School Iron Wars
YMCA Burlington, VT
100% RAW, AAPF and AAU ( raw and equipped)

MarcusWild
10-27-2009, 10:53 AM
When I first started using Westside as a raw lifter my best competition raw bench was 575 and I had hit 585 in the gym. That being said, I started my dymanic effort bench with 185 lbs for 8 sets of 3. I find most guys who start speed bench, start too heavy. The important thing is to be fast. I can't access youtube here, but if you seach this site, you will find videos from me and Travis showing a fair representation of what DE bench should look like. Take some video and we'll see if we can help you out.

Your program is lacking tricep work which is pretty much the most important part of a bench routine.

Lastly, if you have a meet in two weeks you should just be resting. You aren't getting any stronger in this time. All you can do is screw yourself up. Do some light assistance work on training days. For bench you can take an easy opener for training this weekend. When I say easy, I mean easy. There should be no question that you can blow that weight off your chest.

Are you competing in a full meet?

That's 100% right. Mark Bell benches 800+ and does most of his speed work with 225 and mini bands.

It's also easy to go too heavy on speed work if you train in a competitive environment. Everyone wants to use the same weight as the strongest guy in the group, even if they can't move it fast enough.

Travis Bell
10-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Only thing I'll add is it sounds like you were doing your grips backwards

You want to start close grip and move out

Other than that, everyone else has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Don't worry about the percentage, get the speed.

SEOINAGE
10-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Only thing I'll add is it sounds like you were doing your grips backwards

You want to start close grip and move out

Other than that, everyone else has pretty much hit the nail on the head. Don't worry about the percentage, get the speed.

Good to know, I have always rotated between grips as I go, so you are saying do like 3 sets close, 3 wider, then like 3 full width? Or even slowly move your grip out each set?

I've been fluctuating between 135-155 with doubled minis and it moves really fast. It is weird seeing many people lift so heavy on their dynamic effort exercises.

Travis Bell
10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Yep, you got it.

3 sets close, 3 sets med and 3 sets comp grip

Most of us whom you see using heavy weight for DE bench used very light weights for a long time as well as have pretty good raw benches

Clifford Gillmore
10-27-2009, 03:26 PM
After reading this I might drop my DE weight down. as much as I would like to be using 135, it seems I'm just not strong enough for it!

MarcusWild
10-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Yep, you got it.

3 sets close, 3 sets med and 3 sets comp grip

Most of us whom you see using heavy weight for DE bench used very light weights for a long time as well as have pretty good raw benches

Pretty good? I think your perception is a bit skewed, haha. Your raw bench is easily better than 99% of the population.

NickAus
10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
After reading this I might drop my DE weight down. as much as I would like to be using 135, it seems I'm just not strong enough for it!

Risk you could try doing 6x3 with 100+ mini's then 3x3 with 135+ mini's this type of thing has worked well for me.