PDA

View Full Version : Tricep Work ?

ScottYard
10-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I have found my self this training cycle doing all isolation type movements for my tricep work. tate presses, push downs ect.

In the past When I was in the shirt i did only high board work. 5Boards raw at low 700's for triples.

My question is what do you guys do? Do you find the compound movements better for triceps or the isolation movements. I always wondered if my triceps were strong back then or if i just got good at 5boards.

What do you guys do?

Darracq
10-27-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127903&highlight=board+work+triceps

MarcusWild
10-27-2009, 11:02 AM
This was a really good debate here. Luyando and Bencher8 say to do heavy board work. Vincent and Travis say to do more extensions. They all have big benches. Louie says use a lighter weight to help you lift a heavier weight, so more extension and isolation stuff. Maybe someone can find it and link it. I have to run to a meeting.

Travis Bell
10-27-2009, 11:10 AM
Since then I've also gone back to floor pressing like a mad man (for accessory) and I've noticed a huge carryover to my bench. I'm hitting PRs all over the place

I noticed that everytime we did floor press, it was comp grip and up to a single. Then I remembered something George had told me a long time ago, that if his floor press went up, his shirted bench went up and to get his floor press up he did a lot of close grip floor press.

endymion88
10-27-2009, 11:11 AM
scott you ask some excellent questions on here, i've been looking forward to the answers.

Brian Hopper
10-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Since then I've also gone back to floor pressing like a mad man (for accessory) and I've noticed a huge carryover to my bench. I'm hitting PRs all over the place

I noticed that everytime we did floor press, it was comp grip and up to a single. Then I remembered something George had told me a long time ago, that if his floor press went up, his shirted bench went up and to get his floor press up he did a lot of close grip floor press.

Travis, when do you do floor presses, on ME or DE?

Brian Hopper
10-27-2009, 11:22 AM
I love doing raw board presses, usually a 3 or 4 board. I think this has helped alot. I also started adding in some floor presss as well. I got away from them, but I plan on throwing them back in the mix.

Lones Green
10-27-2009, 12:16 PM

I agree! Travis is the one who got me into doing tons of floor presses, and I feel they have helped my bench out a ton.

I also like to do Tates, rolling DB extensions, JM's, and other various types of extensions. This has made my lockout and triceps as strong as its/they've ever been.

douglasoh5
10-27-2009, 01:21 PM
I do alot of light extensions but I really dont think they make you stronger....Build muscle yes...the higher board presses are what I think make me stronger...but you gota build some muscles to have the potential to get stronger....and plus it would be nice to have big arms..which I dont have....just my opinions...

Travis Bell
10-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Travis, when do you do floor presses, on ME or DE?

Lately both lol.

Heavier and often with quaded minis on ME day

Lighter and between light chain weight and straight weight on DE day

By the time you get done with your ME work or DE work, it adds up to a ton of pressing and really takes it out of you, but you get used to it.

Clifford Gillmore
10-27-2009, 01:55 PM
I've been adding weight to my floor presses as well, doing lots of extension work like Travis and Lones. I havn't made any gains to my shirted bench as of yet, but I do plan to keep doing this for at least a few months to see what happens. I'd like to do more boards, but somedays I just don't have training partners - And I need a lift off for anything over 300lbs.

NickAus
10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
My shirt bench has gone from 400 to 525 since January 09!

I have done lots of boards in and out of the shirt, with or with out bands and some floor presses but not much in the way of extensions as they hurt my elbow.

IMO the mental side of lifting big is the main thing and handling heavy weights as often as possible is important.

I think extensions only help when everything else is in order.

chris mason
10-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I think the strength is different depending on the movement. In other words, I have strong triceps when it comes to isolation movements, but my lockouts are nothing to get excited about unless I train them specifically. In my mind, working both would be best.

Clifford Gillmore
10-27-2009, 03:55 PM
So what do you guys re-commend for the weaker/beginner lifter? Extensions to get primed for larger movements, or doing supra-maximal loads to activate the CNS?

NickAus
10-27-2009, 04:13 PM
So what do you guys re-commend for the weaker/beginner lifter? Extensions to get primed for larger movements, or doing supra-maximal loads to activate the CNS?

Im way behind some of these guys but what has worked well for me and Eddie is HEAVY weights we love doing 3,4 and 5 board raw and 2 or 3 board shirted.
I did lots of extensions at the start but once I got stuck in to the boards my bench took off fast.
The metal militia style 4 and 5 board (sets of 3 with a 3 sec pause at top on all reps) helps my bench whenever I do a cycle of them.

vdizenzo
10-27-2009, 04:21 PM

I recommend you try things for two month intervals. You need to see what works for you, but you need to give individual exercises enough time to see what works.

I like a combination of extensions and presses. I am going to start close grip floor pressing for moderate reps and work higher rep extensions on my push days.

robchris
10-27-2009, 09:54 PM
Read the thread that darracq posted... Pretty much covers everything.

With that said, I generally agree w/ Rob and bencher8. Hvy. bds. and floor presses= strong lock-out.
Stick w/ movements that mimic the same movement patterns as the bench for a greater carry-over.

I finish w/ tri-extensions for GPP and recovery and they do have thier place, but not much carry-over to my lock-out.

IMHO.... My .02

fpr
10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I've never tried floor presses but may give them a try just for kicks. Do you typically hold with a narrow grip or a standard flat bb bench grip (however wide that may be for a certain individual)?

NickAus
10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
I've never tried floor presses but may give them a try just for kicks. Do you typically hold with a narrow grip or a standard flat bb bench grip (however wide that may be for a certain individual)?

Med or close never with a wide grip personally.

Travis Bell
10-27-2009, 10:19 PM

I do all three. Different grips for different purposes.

ScottYard
10-28-2009, 06:47 AM
This has alot of great info. It seems that the mixture of the two is most beneficial.