PDA

View Full Version : Water Question?

ScottYard
10-28-2009, 05:04 PM
How much water are you guys taking in. I have insreased my water intake as Im now taking a few protein (Nitrean) shakes each day as well as Results from Atlarge. Do you guys count this as part of your intake of fluids. I usually like to get in at least 2 liters of water per day. Im wondering if I should include the water form the shakes as part of my 2 liters or do that on top of the 2 liters of water im already drinking.

vdizenzo
10-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I get at least a gallon. I count every fluid including that which is in my shakes.

ScottYard
10-28-2009, 05:55 PM
I figure thats about what Im taking in now with the shakes. My wife does marathons and always comments that too much water can be a bad thing. I always try to do research by peoples experiences, not some crap shoot journal article. Any one know how much water is too much?

endymion88
10-28-2009, 05:59 PM
4 gallons would probly be too much :) i think 1-2 gallons is plenty anything more than that and youd be visiting the boys room every 15 minutes

Miska
10-28-2009, 06:00 PM
I think the "too much water" depends on your activity. If you are running a marathon you must have adequate water, but not to much as to have it sloshing around in your stomach. I think you would be pretty safe with even a couple gallons a day as long as you didn't chug it all at once.

robchris
10-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Scott,
I know you've probably heard this before, but as long as your urine is clear in color you're adequetly hydrated.

I gage my water/ fluid intake thoughout the day this way and it has always served me well. Your water intake will vary from day to day depending upon alot of factors so the urine test simplified things for me.

DieselWarrior
10-28-2009, 06:23 PM
A normal day, no workout, just living, 1 gallon. A heavy workout day, minimum of 2 gals. Staying hydrated helps prevent cramps too.

When I was stationed at Ft.Irwin (in the Mohive Desert) I drank around 3 gallons a day minimum (I was in the field, Infantry... not some paper pusher pu$$)... Then I was always drinking and peeing. :)

skinny99
10-28-2009, 06:48 PM
I drink distilled water,I open a new gallon every morning and make sure I finish it every day! On lift days I freeze a 20oz Gatorade bottle with water and drink it til there is no ice left,refilling it as many times as is needed during the workout! So I am somewhere in the 180oz range on lift days! The gallon is very helpful for me to track how much I drink,if I do it then my piss is clear twenty-four/seven. Hope this helps!

MarcusWild
10-28-2009, 06:49 PM
You also have to remember the size of the person matters. Powerlifters usually aren't "average" size. We usually sweat more than average too. Our water requirements will be higher than the average person. A gallon a day sounds about right.

Lones Green
10-28-2009, 07:19 PM
Yeah, I don't really buy into the whole "you have to drink a gallon of water a day" thing. I'm sure I drink at least that with fluid intake from shakes, but carrying a gallon jug around with you is a bit overkill. I've done it before, noticed no difference.

jtteg_x
10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
On days I take in creatine (training days), I aim for at least 1 gallon. Off days I don't track my water intake but I can only guess half a gallon a day. My urine comes out medium-light yellow most of the time and clear post-workout.

Clifford Gillmore
10-28-2009, 10:10 PM
2-3 L per day, not including shakes. Not insane, I know anthony used to down over 10L per day, but would of lost ALOT of it to sweat (Crossfitter, average strength).

str8flexed
10-28-2009, 10:11 PM
not much need for anything over 2 gallons, unless you are really sweating a lot and you are weighing over 250 lbs. I don't know if 4 gallons is dangerous; but it's certainly not needed

NickAus
10-28-2009, 10:52 PM
3 liters per day on average-weight is 212.

Travis Bell
10-29-2009, 05:27 AM
I figure thats about what Im taking in now with the shakes. My wife does marathons and always comments that too much water can be a bad thing. I always try to do research by peoples experiences, not some crap shoot journal article. Any one know how much water is too much?

It's a ton of water.

You'd have to really be hydrating in a huge way to be able to get that bad.

I think it has to do with getting so much water in you that it messes with your kidneys and potassium levels

muscle_g
10-29-2009, 06:47 AM
I normally try to drink a gallon of water a day. I use milk in my protein shakes so I don't count my milk and juice intake, that's just extra fluid intake.

McLaughlin
10-29-2009, 06:55 AM
Scott,
I know you've probably heard this before, but as long as your urine is clear in color you're adequetly hydrated.

I gage my water/ fluid intake thoughout the day this way and it has always served me well. Your water intake will vary from day to day depending upon alot of factors so the urine test simplified things for me.

I've always used this method and never had a problem.

JPanella
10-29-2009, 08:32 PM
It's a ton of water.

I think it has to do with getting so much water in you that it messes with your kidneys and potassium levels

Exactly, a woman actually died in california after drinking a few gallons of water on a radio show. this was a few years ago.

AFstud066
10-29-2009, 10:04 PM
You know whats funny though athletes are supposed to take in 11-15 L a day, :omg:

AFstud066
10-29-2009, 10:05 PM
It's a ton of water.

Yes, because to much water flushes all the good stuff out. Just the right amount keeps it balanced and gets rid of the toxins. When you are taking in huge amounts it clears all the potassium and sodium out, which is when the problems begin.

Clifford Gillmore
10-29-2009, 11:58 PM
You know whats funny though athletes are supposed to take in 11-15 L a day, :omg:

Accordoring to what, and which atheletes?

AFstud066
10-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Accordoring to what, and which atheletes?

Athletes in general...no sub categories. According to the NSCA. I am an exercise physiology major and we constantly are going through this..1/4 of a liter throughout competition every 15 minutes....... .5 liter for every pound lost during training...it adds up..regular/sedentary people 2-3 liters which is still a lot. Bottom line we are never hydrated enough.